PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 11-13-2003, 01:56 PM #1
Dominus-UK

has been a member for 10 years
Exclamation Anodising Questions

I am trying to start my own home anodising, mainly for when I get myself a paintball gun and am in need for some information:

First of all: Does anyone know where I can get sulphuric acid in the UK... I don't want to use car batteries, however i will as a last resort.

Secondly: How do I do the effects like fade anodising and splash/sponge effects?

Thirdly: Would a battery charger like on for remote control cars work, if it was 12v?

Thanks!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2003, 01:47 AM #2
CobraCutterPB

CobraCutterPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i can awnser some of ur questions but the rest are trade secrets. Use battery acid it is the same as sulfuric acid and is cheaper. Go to a auto parts seller they usualy have it for sale. If u use a car charger it has to be manual and have justments otherwise a autimatic charger would trick the part and use to little current. Rectifiers are good and u can find one on ebay for like 170, they are the most conisitant. why would you start a anno line and u done even have a gun. it will cost u hundreds to get just a small line setup and the chemicals are highy dangours for a non-pro. hope it helped
Old 11-17-2003, 12:17 AM #3
The Ronin Baller
Lovin' Life

The Ronin Baller is a Supporting Member
Dominus, check out caswellplating.com if you have not yet done so. There's a bit of free info there, if you spend the time and read the product info.
Good luck, thought about it myself.

Leaving the game!!

"Originally posted by gremlin75: Why be happy with what you have when you can mod :D "
Old 11-17-2003, 04:26 PM #4
GZgurl

http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html

the best site I've seen for telling you some secrets that most other's won't share... but honestly it's gonna cost you about 4-700 to get a line setup that does a good job, and it's not something I'd reccomend taking on without some experienced help showing you what to do
Old 11-21-2003, 12:49 PM #5
jbautista
****** BE WILDIN!!!

I've seen some work that people have done for the first time and some of it comes out horrible! So I suggest you get it done by someone with experience. They know what there dealing with and they all tell me that it would come out cleaner and the way you want it. I know a guy that tried it (tried to anno black) and a lot of the sites that say to use RIT dye should be cautious about saying to use it. RIT dye is a vegtable oil based dye, so his part came out more brown then black. I know because I've done some research because I myself was planning to do it at home. Try some local metal shops or platting shops, sometimes they'll just throw your part in on there next ano run
Virtue board & Carbon Fiber UL
Old 11-21-2003, 02:48 PM #6
GZgurl

good opint Jbaustista... the RIT black dye comes out a nasty brown color, but trying it yourself is the best way to get experience... other than having someone walk you thru it... besides you never do a first run on an expensive part
Old 11-21-2003, 04:25 PM #7
jbautista
****** BE WILDIN!!!

ha, totally true gzgurl!! Yah, Id do it if I had someone thats done it before beside me.
Virtue board & Carbon Fiber UL
Old 11-22-2003, 12:19 PM #8
The Ronin Baller
Lovin' Life

The Ronin Baller is a Supporting Member
There is a shop near me that turns out top shelf work for low prices. They'll do one color on all your gun parts for $75, which is inexpensive.
If you want to try on your own, play your cards right and get to know your closest shop; they may give you a few pointers which prove helpful on your own first try.

Leaving the game!!

"Originally posted by gremlin75: Why be happy with what you have when you can mod :D "