Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: When should field layouts be released?
8 weeks before the event? 66 47.14%
2 weeks before the event? 27 19.29%
The weekend before the event? 8 5.71%
At the event only? 39 27.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2010, 12:10 PM #22
ToLiveInInfamy
WHO WANTS IT?PIGS

releasing it 8 weeks prior would help but having to wait till the event would make it funner to be honest
Old 11-24-2010, 01:08 PM #23
chevota

it doesn't matter when u release the lay out the good teams are going to practice just about every weekend anywise doesn't matter if its the field lay out or something someone just threw out there.and your going to shoot the same amount of paint either way.
chevota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:11 PM #24
Little_Jon
tiger blood in my veins

Little_Jon is playing at Living Legends III
Little_Jon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i changed my vote... i would agree on having it at the event. actually would be tons of fun.

Planet Eclipse

Lehigh Valley Paintball - PA's Premiere Paintball Facility
Little_Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:07 PM #25
WarpedPaintballPark

WarpedPaintballPark is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
NPPL Mistakes

The NPPL has done a lot of good things to promote paintball over the years but is has also done a few bad ones that has hurt.

I think these bad things should change back to old way of doing things.

1. Every field should have a different layout and no one should get to play them in advance. The pros put this in place a few years back and it has ruined the experience for the average player. The game used to be exciting because no one knew what the other team was going to do. Now it predictable and boring. Lets make the game fun again!

2. NPPL should be BYOP again. Teams can make there own deals and have a lot of options finding good deals. This should increase the team count a lot. (yellow only if fine) I remember when we had 6+ paint company's sending teams to events. Lets get everyone involved again and bring the cost down at the same time.

3. Fields need to be cleaned!!! Nothing is worse than spending your life fortune on getting to an event, only to have a reff make a bad call on a rub. Lets help the reffs by giving them a cleaning crew again.

4. Players from all levels of play need to be heard. The pro owners group has lots of experience but they also have sponsors agenda's that should not come into play on most topics.

just my two cents
Sorry Chuck

Glenn Forster

Last edited by WarpedPaintballPark : 11-26-2010 at 03:12 PM.
WarpedPaintballPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:58 PM #26
turbotee22

I think that having the field layout early is great for practice. Yeah you can walk the field before the event, but playing it you will know you angles a little better.
turbotee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:28 PM #27
dirty907
Say my name!

dirty907 is a Supporting Member
Thats actually kind of the point. Having the layout released at the event will make it so those teams that dont have access to the exact event layout will at least not have a huge disadvantage to those teams that own their own field, or dont/cant afford to travel huge distances to play/practice on those fields. with the layout not released until the event, teams will once again have to rely on field walking ability and just straight up skill, as opposed to being able to play the layout until they can close their eyes and see it in their sleep.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:57 AM #28
surealpaintballer

surealpaintballer supports Cereal Killerz 2
surealpaintballer is for the Gunfight
surealpaintballer posts videos on PbNation
I asgree with the at the event.
EMPIRE Paintball gear
Ultra EVIL PAINTBALLS

GARDEN STATE PUMP
surealpaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:50 PM #29
justinsp

justinsp is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
justinsp plays in the PSP
After reading all of this I was thinking the exact thing that Glen Forster said. I remember back in the day when there was 8 or 9 different field layouts and that was fun. And almost every game was different and not predictable. Teams had to adapt every game to a different style of field. Certian players may fit in better on a field set up than another. I think its almost time to try to bring paintball back to some of its roots.

RIK

Last edited by justinsp : 11-28-2010 at 11:53 PM.
justinsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:08 AM #30
jarude
Blackout

jarude plays in the PSP
jarude plays in the APPA D3 division
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpedPaintballPark View Post
The NPPL has done a lot of good things to promote paintball over the years but is has also done a few bad ones that has hurt.

1. Every field should have a different layout and no one should get to play them in advance. The pros put this in place a few years back and it has ruined the experience for the average player. The game used to be exciting because no one knew what the other team was going to do. Now it predictable and boring. Lets make the game fun again!

2. NPPL should be BYOP again. Teams can make there own deals and have a lot of options finding good deals. This should increase the team count a lot. (yellow only if fine) I remember when we had 6+ paint company's sending teams to events. Lets get everyone involved again and bring the cost down at the same time.

3. Fields need to be cleaned!!! Nothing is worse than spending your life fortune on getting to an event, only to have a reff make a bad call on a rub. Lets help the reffs by giving them a cleaning crew again.

4. Players from all levels of play need to be heard. The pro owners group has lots of experience but they also have sponsors agenda's that should not come into play on most topics.

just my two cents
Sorry Chuck

Glenn Forster
^^^^ This!
2011 NPPL DC Challenge 1st Place / Chicago Open 2nd Place/Las Vegas Championship 2nd Place
Blackout 2010 NPPL D4-5 Man Series Champions
jarude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:10 AM #31
phuct
PSN: CASWELLHOUSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPPL Super 7 View Post
One of the most popular arguments is that releasing the layout at or near the event date evens the playing field out between teams that have lots of money and time to practice the layout and those that have little of either.

!
if you dont have the time or finances to practice for national events then you shouldnt be playing them.

if you dilute the "talent" with teams who are going into an event un-prepared then you are diluting the quality of the league.

snatchin kisses whenever i can....... and vice versa
phuct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:16 PM #32
SGTspazzo
Joint Force

SGTspazzo plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpedPaintballPark View Post

just my two cents
Sorry Chuck

Glenn Forster
Mother****in dot

Joint Force D1 PSP/NPPL
MACDEV | VPL | PBRack | PaintballGear.ca | Ambush Paintball
SGTspazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:44 AM #33
curtakatruc

i think at the event is best. back when they did this before it was a PREMIUM of spending all day walking fields studdying the night of, intense discussions with teamates over what the hell to do with field... ultimatley it made the experiance of a national a lil more fun and intense. plus i think it is a great equalizer.

* and about the cleaning crew idea, yes it would be great, but we have to realize these leagues dont have the money they used to either, back in 05-06 you had to make sure u called in the morning that registration opened because d3 and d2 would sell out. I think a sloted 7 minute block in the schedule every hour would allow the reffs to consistantly squeeque the bunkers and hose them down, that way we can get cleaner bunkers without the added expense to the league.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:15 PM #34
ehos

ehos owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NPPL is boring.

Change it up, if teams really are good, they will adapt to seeing the field AT THE EVENT.

Walking the field used to be a big part of paintball, what happened? Theres a reason why every game is a grind, but you know what they're gonna do and what you're gonna do.

There is no more RISK in the game, so its' boring stand still.
ehos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:18 PM #35
original_skooter
OG Sunday Crew

original_skooter is a Supporting Member
original_skooter owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehos View Post
NPPL is boring.

Change it up, if teams really are good, they will adapt to seeing the field AT THE EVENT.

Walking the field used to be a big part of paintball, what happened? Theres a reason why every game is a grind, but you know what they're gonna do and what you're gonna do.

There is no more RISK in the game, so its' boring stand still.
The reason it is a grind is because there is no incentive for risk and high action games. If you grind it out you can come out on top. If you have quicker, more fast paced games that require you to eliminate and not just stay alive you will increase the activity and the perceived interest. The release of the layout does not matter when you take this into consideration.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:35 PM #36
ehos

ehos owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by original_skooter View Post
The reason it is a grind is because there is no incentive for risk and high action games. If you grind it out you can come out on top. If you have quicker, more fast paced games that require you to eliminate and not just stay alive you will increase the activity and the perceived interest. The release of the layout does not matter when you take this into consideration.
If the goal is to grind it out, then release date does matter. It gives teams to practice and optimize every possible strategy (conceivably), that should lead to more tit for tat/stally type of games because ideally you would play the best strategy.

If you don't know the field layout in advance, then you are forced to theorize what will happen. Nothing is actualized, and therefore the games should be more active/exciting/dynamic.

So, if you want boring/status quo, yeah, go ahead release the field 10 months in advance. Hell, use the same field from now on!

If you want some type of dynamic game (isn't that what paintball is?), then make people wait for it. You even get people posting here asking 'what are the best lanes, what are the best bunkers' etc. That is Lame.
ehos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:18 PM #37
original_skooter
OG Sunday Crew

original_skooter is a Supporting Member
original_skooter owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehos View Post
If the goal is to grind it out, then release date does matter. It gives teams to practice and optimize every possible strategy (conceivably), that should lead to more tit for tat/stally type of games because ideally you would play the best strategy.

If you don't know the field layout in advance, then you are forced to theorize what will happen. Nothing is actualized, and therefore the games should be more active/exciting/dynamic.

So, if you want boring/status quo, yeah, go ahead release the field 10 months in advance. Hell, use the same field from now on!

If you want some type of dynamic game (isn't that what paintball is?), then make people wait for it. You even get people posting here asking 'what are the best lanes, what are the best bunkers' etc. That is Lame.
You can easily make the argument that without knowing the layout of the field till the last minute, many teams will take a defensive approach until they can get a feel out everything will play out. And to the other side of it, if the teams know the layout they will be more apt to find the quickest and most effective way to win the game to conserve both energy and resource consumption.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:07 AM #38
Buckfrenzy
Turtle Force

Buckfrenzy plays in the PSP
I have completely rethought my stance on this, and I would now vote for the day of the event. What would suck however is not being able to walk the fields Thursday if you are flying into California from the East coast...
Buckfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:46 AM #39
IplayforRelentless
Quit changing my avatar!

IplayforRelentless is BST Trusted
IplayforRelentless is a Paintball photographer
IplayforRelentless supports our troops
IplayforRelentless is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
IplayforRelentless is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfrenzy View Post
I have completely rethought my stance on this, and I would now vote for the day of the event. What would suck however is not being able to walk the fields Thursday if you are flying into California from the East coast...
It's just prioritizing. East Coast teams are at a disadvantage for HB and Vegas, but West Coast is at a disadvantage when they have to fly for the DC Challenge and I think Chicago is pretty neutral for both coasts. Not being able to walk the fields isn't a good thing, but I'd think a team that can keep constant the first few games and figure out a game plan that's quick and effective until they have time to come up with a strategy would be a testament to how good a team really is.
"Originally posted by -|2ain: Ima kill Dieing to live when he gets back! THEY MADE ME DO A RECTAL EXAM!!!! A ****ING RECTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!"
"Originally posted by tremis: I love the self righteousness of the photographers with the claim that they "created" a photograph. Delusional at all? The law may ignorantly side with the photographer, but the subject has done the vast majority of the work and they dont get any credit/royalties."
I take hipster photos on Instagram - @hobbesthetiger
NJ Devils MN Wild MN Twins Chi Cubs IA Hawkeyes
IplayforRelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:20 PM #40
num3n

Annual Supporting Member
num3n supports Sherwood Forest
num3n posts videos on PbNation
Our team is in support of the layout being released day of the event. It really brings back good field walking as a must have skill.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:13 PM #41
Konflict87

In the past the fields were always open at least 1 day before to allow for fieldwalking. so no one really had an advantage as long as you planned to be the thursday morning to walk the field as a team.
Konflict87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:04 PM #42
WarpedPaintballPark

WarpedPaintballPark is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Walking Fields

The league did just fine when we had to walk fields. Actually the league did better!

I'm confident the game will be more fun and a lot more action if we don't see the layout until the event.

The only down side is cost.

Teams have to come in an extra day to walk the fields and the event staff has to show up early to have everything ready.

These days, money is hard to come by but I say we should do it for the good of the game.

glenn
WarpedPaintballPark is offline   Reply With Quote