Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: When should field layouts be released?
8 weeks before the event? 66 47.14%
2 weeks before the event? 27 19.29%
The weekend before the event? 8 5.71%
At the event only? 39 27.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 12:47 AM #1
NPPL Super 7
NPPL HB April 2014
 
NPPL Super 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Orange County CA
Post Event Field layout releases

Hey everyone! The NPPL has been busy planning a big 2011 season, so sorry for the delay in answering some of the questions in the other threads in this forum. We will get to them as soon as possible....

Getting feedback from players is essential to the brain trust in the NPPL. One idea that came up from some divisional teams this year, was to only release field layouts at the event. The theory is that this would save money as teams could only practice core skills and they would save on paint playing the layout for up to two months before the event.

Of course we would need a legitimate way to make sure that certain teams and fields would not have access to the layout before anybody else. Lets just assume for the sake of the question we will have a trustworthy process!

Thanks for your input!
__________________
nppl.com

Last edited by NPPL Super 7 : 11-19-2010 at 12:51 AM.
NPPL Super 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2010, 11:55 AM #2
killertees
Join the Storm Army!
 
killertees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Iowa
killertees supports Cereal Killerz 2
killertees supports Team VICIOUS
killertees is for the Gunfight
killertees plays in the APPA D4 division
Just my opinion, but I feel this kind of sucks. Thats the great part working on the layout, learning the moves and the best shots. Having traveled to many different fields, there is going to be some type of layout and teams will be practicing teams skills playing games reguardless if the layout is out or not, so I dont believe this will do anything to save practice money. More than likely teams will not practice as much, then complain after an event because there was no layout put out early and thats why they did not do so well.
If teams want to save money on practice mabey they should cut down their schedule and make the most of the practice time they do schedule. How many times do you see teams at practice that spend more time messing with their gear and talking then practicing?
Also won't this hurt the fields which buy paint from the paint manufacturers, which help sponsor the events. Less practice = less people at the local fields spending money. Sounds like a move backwards in my eyes.
__________________
MWSTORM4LIFE
www.apxgear.com
VICIOUS FAN #155
Jesus Saves!
killertees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:57 PM #3
3DSteve
Total Greif
 
3DSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by killertees View Post
Just my opinion, but I feel this kind of sucks. Thats the great part working on the layout, learning the moves and the best shots. Having traveled to many different fields, there is going to be some type of layout and teams will be practicing teams skills playing games reguardless if the layout is out or not, so I dont believe this will do anything to save practice money. More than likely teams will not practice as much, then complain after an event because there was no layout put out early and thats why they did not do so well.
If teams want to save money on practice mabey they should cut down their schedule and make the most of the practice time they do schedule. How many times do you see teams at practice that spend more time messing with their gear and talking then practicing?
Also won't this hurt the fields which buy paint from the paint manufacturers, which help sponsor the events. Less practice = less people at the local fields spending money. Sounds like a move backwards in my eyes.
I think it's a great idea.
The idea is not to eliminate practice, but make it more financially viable for more people. If there's no layout to practice, there's no reason to practice how to run to a very specific bunker and shoot a very specific lane. On the other hand there would be a very big incentive to practice the general concept. The team that plays the best and adapts to the field the quickest has the best chance. Not the team that dropped $XXX on practice paint to figure out how to shoot the very specific shots of a certain layout.
It would be nice to bring back the skills of field walking. I think it would allow the fundamentally better players to rise to the top, and make for more exciting, less formulaic tournaments.
__________________
Total Greif
Immortal Air
Xtreme Paintball Park CCM
Art of Pump CPX
3DSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:44 PM #4
SouthPark22
 
 
SouthPark22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Getting feedback from players is essential to the brain trust in the NPPL....The theory is that this would save money as teams could only practice core skills and they would save on paint playing the layout for up to two months before the event.
Not going to save my team any money. We practice "core skills" yes... but we scrim like dogz... having the layout up weeks or months in advance will NOT have any impact on how much paint we shoot. My preference would be 4 weeks in advance... that would be 4 weekend practices... tons of time to dig into the layout... figure out team moves... but we would be playing hard even without the layout so it would not save us cash.
SouthPark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:50 AM #5
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by killertees View Post
Sounds like a move backwards in my eyes.
Yep, I think that is sort of the idea.

But the idea is not that it will be less people practicing and therefore less paint being sold, but rather more people being able to afford to play (and practice), beefing up numbers at events and at local fields.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:14 PM #6
sparticus1262
....RIP LEVI....
 
sparticus1262's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: FUZION Pits!!
sparticus1262 supports Team VICIOUS
sparticus1262 supports Team VICIOUS
sparticus1262 posts videos on PbNation
If you go this route then you also have fields losing money on players/teams that go to their fields to specifically play the layout.
__________________
FUZION Dad #50
sparticus1262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:46 PM #7
NPPL Super 7
NPPL HB April 2014
 
NPPL Super 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Orange County CA
Lots of diffrent points of views!

Looks like its 50-50 for a change in the way its currently done....

One of the most popular arguments is that releasing the layout at or near the event date evens the playing field out between teams that have lots of money and time to practice the layout and those that have little of either.

Most paintballers will still practice every Sunday on some sort of layout......it's what we do!
__________________
nppl.com
NPPL Super 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:58 PM #8
original_skooter
OG Sunday Crew
 
original_skooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Dallas
original_skooter is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
original_skooter owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I dont think the timing of the layout will affect the amount of practice or paint consumed one way or the other. I like the idea of the layouts being released well in advanced. Its interesting what teams can do when they have the opportunity work out strategy with the actual layout. Its easy to spin it and make an argument either way. Hopefully whatever the NPPL decides will be good for the teams at the end of the day.
__________________
+28/-0 Old|+20/-0 New
original_skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:39 PM #9
Eric99BL
 
Eric99BL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ventura
 has been a member for 10 years
Eric99BL is a Professional paintball player
If you guys wants to save us money, lower the paint prices.
__________________
Attack..
Eric99BL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:01 PM #10
***MINIONS*** (Banned)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: bucks county, pa
***MINIONS*** plays in the USPL
***MINIONS*** plays in the PSP
***MINIONS*** owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
***MINIONS*** supports Pev's Paintball
The biggest problem is east coast teams cant practice layouts because of weather conditions. West coast is always nice and sunny so they can play all year round while east coast has weather conditions to compete with. My team for example only had 1 practice on the HB layout last year because of all the snow.
***MINIONS*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:09 PM #11
II Unsigned II
 
 
II Unsigned II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Middletown PA
II Unsigned II is a Paintball photographer
II Unsigned II plays in the PSP
II Unsigned II plays in the APPA D5 division
Could do it like the AXBL/CXBL did have all the layout made up and out for all the people to see.
__________________
PAP FAMILY

C.0.R.E # 17
II Unsigned II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:25 PM #12
jerrodp1
JG
 
jerrodp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 918
jerrodp1 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPPL Super 7 View Post
Lots of diffrent points of views!

Looks like its 50-50 for a change in the way its currently done....

One of the most popular arguments is that releasing the layout at or near the event date evens the playing field out between teams that have lots of money and time to practice the layout and those that have little of either.

Most paintballers will still practice every Sunday on some sort of layout......it's what we do!
In paintball off the field organization and money are part of the competition. They effect everything. So, I feel like releasing it late helps the teams that aren't putting in the off the field work to be able to practice consistently...
__________________
Turtle Force
Who's Mean?
Jolly Green!!!
JFKizzaz
jerrodp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:20 AM #13
killertees
Join the Storm Army!
 
killertees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Iowa
killertees supports Cereal Killerz 2
killertees supports Team VICIOUS
killertees is for the Gunfight
killertees plays in the APPA D4 division
First thanks to the NPPL. I like the fact that you are trying to listen to team's idea's on making the NPPL better. But are there not more pressing matters to discuss that will help make the NPPL better. Like how do we get more teams to participate? Or how do we get more fans in the seats?
Here's an idea how about we start getting involved in the lower division teams. Don't get me wrong I love to watch the pro's and the pro's I have dealt with have been awesome. But let's start highlighting the lower divisions, they are the ones behind everything. Without them there are no tournaments. I'm not saying to give them the world, but you know helping the small guy out by getting more coverage in magazines or videos. You'd be surprised at what something like that can do for a player or team. I feel stuff like this is better that sponsorships. Example in Vegas there was live web feed on field 1 only, but there were alot of teams that were on field 2 that received none of this. Regardless of how they performed I'm sure more people would have watched just to see their son, brother, friend or whatever play even if it was just one match. Mabey it was to expensive and I understand that, and I'm not saying that the NPPL does not care about the lover divisions. I guess I'm way off topic and just ranting but my point is let's look at more pressing matters than the release of the field layouts.
__________________
MWSTORM4LIFE
www.apxgear.com
VICIOUS FAN #155
Jesus Saves!
killertees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:45 PM #14
gunzup187
BACON STRIPS
 
gunzup187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
gunzup187 is playing at Living Legends III
gunzup187 supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***MINIONS*** View Post
The biggest problem is east coast teams cant practice layouts because of weather conditions. West coast is always nice and sunny so they can play all year round while east coast has weather conditions to compete with. My team for example only had 1 practice on the HB layout last year because of all the snow.
Same issue here. With the winter season coming up, Indoor practices are just not the same at all as outdoor(smaller fields;impossible to communicate).It limits our ability to really practice the HB layout,but I do love when the layouts are released early because it gives us a lot of time to prepare for each event.
__________________
Plymouth State University
Hostile Intent D2 NPPL
Sponsored by:
KM
AKAMEDIA
VALKEN
Xternal Sports
BOLP
gunzup187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 PM #15
Kaolinite
+-----------+
 
Kaolinite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Event layouts should be released AT the events.

Remember building game plans with the team in the hotel room before the event. That's paintball that's what builds teams and friendships. It was important back in the day ...

I also believe that the field layouts should be slightly altered before the semi-finals and finals. This is as easy as moving a few snake bunkers or pushing some bunkers in front of a lane or off to the tape. Teams will once again have to adapt and plan. This also showcases players individual skills.

True skilled players can adapt and play any position with skill at anytime.
__________________
MONEY SUCCESS FAME GLAMOUR
-----------------------------------------------------

MISSION PAINTBALL CLUB
Kaolinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:16 PM #16
jarude
Blackout
 
jarude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Florida
jarude plays in the PSP
jarude plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolinite View Post
Event layouts should be released AT the events.

Remember building game plans with the team in the hotel room before the event. That's paintball that's what builds teams and friendships. It was important back in the day ...

I also believe that the field layouts should be slightly altered before the semi-finals and finals. This is as easy as moving a few snake bunkers or pushing some bunkers in front of a lane or off to the tape. Teams will once again have to adapt and plan. This also showcases players individual skills.

True skilled players can adapt and play any position with skill at anytime.
I like your idea. I say either release them way in advance or not at all.
__________________
BLACKOUT
2011 NPPL Div. 3 Series Champions
2nd Place D4 5man World Cup 2011
2011 NPPL DC Challenge 1st Place / Chicago Open 2nd Place/Las Vegas Championship 2nd Place
Blackout 2010 NPPL D4-5 Man Series Champions
jarude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 PM #17
LittleH8kid
 
 
LittleH8kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Grandrapids, MI
LittleH8kid supports Pev's Paintball
LittleH8kid plays in the APPA D2 division
you could post 3layouts but only pick 1 for the event.
__________________
TCP Machine
#97
LittleH8kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:14 PM #18
paintball_junkie187
Pain Lies Awaiting You...
 
paintball_junkie187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sconsin' ya heard, huh ?
 has been a member for 10 years
Walking fields was a major way to weed out the good from the great teams in the past. The only negative was when you had six plus fields to walk and then ended up not playing one or two pending on schedule. If you did infact release say three layouts approximately four weeks in advance, that would give a team an opportunity to play all three and would force them to take all three seriously or run the risk of putting all of their eggs in one basket. I love this idea
paintball_junkie187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 PM #19
SouthPark22
 
 
SouthPark22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
I ENJOY PREPARING IN ADVANCE. I make sacrifices when the layout comes out... I travel to fields on the mainland that have the correct bunkers... waiting hours for ferries and sitting in lineups on either side of the water waiting for a two hour ferry ride on top of shelling out serious cash to get on the boats... I have missed my son's Karate tournies... I move appointments... I stand up parents and inlaws... I miss relatives birthdays... AND I LOVE IT! Playing the event layout is like gravy... it makes all those months of regular practice on generic fields drilling "skills" mean something.... drawing it all down to a hot point focus... These become "special practices"... I and I move worlds to get to them. Dig it.
SouthPark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:44 PM #20
dirty907
Say my name!
 
dirty907's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Island in Alaska
dirty907 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolinite View Post
Event layouts should be released AT the events.

Remember building game plans with the team in the hotel room before the event. That's paintball that's what builds teams and friendships. It was important back in the day ...

I also believe that the field layouts should be slightly altered before the semi-finals and finals. This is as easy as moving a few snake bunkers or pushing some bunkers in front of a lane or off to the tape. Teams will once again have to adapt and plan. This also showcases players individual skills.

True skilled players can adapt and play any position with skill at anytime.
Exactly what I was thinking. I play a local (sort of) series that lives by this.
__________________
Pump!
dirty907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:57 AM #21
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPark22 View Post
I ENJOY PREPARING IN ADVANCE. I make sacrifices when the layout comes out... I travel to fields on the mainland that have the correct bunkers... waiting hours for ferries and sitting in lineups on either side of the water waiting for a two hour ferry ride on top of shelling out serious cash to get on the boats... I have missed my son's Karate tournies... I move appointments... I stand up parents and inlaws... I miss relatives birthdays... AND I LOVE IT! Playing the event layout is like gravy... it makes all those months of regular practice on generic fields drilling "skills" mean something.... drawing it all down to a hot point focus... These become "special practices"... I and I move worlds to get to them. Dig it.
Passion is great. It is of course what is needed by all serious athletes in any sport. Unfortunately, paintball is a sport where a financial commitment is just as important as passion and a commitment of time. It sounds like you may have the passion and the financial security needed... maybe a little more than the average 20 year old baller.

The earlier the layout is released, the higher the advantage for the teams with the best financial stability. The teams with the available finances can practice the layout (in as close to a real game format) more than the teams that don't have the available finances. That gives them a distinct advantage, all else being equal. Tournament ball is bleeding in numbers, in most part because people can't afford to take part and are unwilling to commit to the financial commitment needed. Releasing the layout earlier rather than later (or not at all) is a big contributor to that.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump