Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 PM #1
Panther14

Teams with Paintball on Campus

Hey, I'm on the Santa Clara University team and we are trying to get reballs on campus so we can practice snapping during the week. The problem is Campus Safety has deemed it unsafe to have our guns anywhere on campus so I was wondering which college's have paintball on their campus, reball or full field, and possibly the contact information for the college's campus safety office. Thanks a lot.
Panther14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 PM #2
El General

El General donated to help Peyton Trent
El General owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Any help would be appreciated. The previous attempt was met with a resounding No from all parties, from Club Sports to Office of Student Life. The heads of Club Sports, Campus Safety and OSL have since changed so we're hoping to make a new push with people who may be more amenable to our case.

So far, the arguments used by the previous heads have been that reballs will damage school or private property (if held indoors), the noise will disturb residents in the area (if held outdoors), and that there would be safety issues with non-team members watching on the side. I don't know if there was also a concern about high pressure air tanks on campus.

Our main obstacle is getting them to agree to this when a policy was implemented a few years ago that paintball guns are considered firearms and cannot be on campus. Strangely enough, they have no issues when we display them at Club Fair. Part of the issue that I foresee is that they will not want to exempt us from this rule or, in any way, change the definition to allow paintball markers on campus.

There is also a rule against HPA tanks on campus but I don't think it'll be as much of an issue as the markers themselves, given the stigma regarding anything that has a trigger and a barrel on campuses.

Naturally they can't repeal a rule regarding firearms so we have to find a way to work around the definition of firearm or find some new method that I haven't thought of. I've talked with the person in charge of Club Sports and he is willing to help us (former Rutgers Club Sports director).

From our talks, the only concession he can see Campus Safety and the Office of Student Life would be on-campus storage housing. But then, he agrees that such a move would actually be unhelpful since its easier for us to store them off-campus with a couple team members and go tech them there.

If I have more information regarding our specific case, I'll post it.

Last edited by El General : 01-31-2011 at 11:14 PM.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:34 AM #3
salsakiller36
Joshua Jackson

salsakiller36 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
They aren't called firearms they are called markers

Gear Bag Sale >>> http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...t=gearbag+sale
salsakiller36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 AM #4
El General

El General donated to help Peyton Trent
El General owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
The school's legal definition places paintball markers, airsoft guns, bb guns, etc under the same category as guns which fire real bullets. Hopefully that should clarify what I meant.

We know they're not firearms. The school administration and Campus Safety do not make the distinction.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 AM #5
tchalien
RETIRED LU Coach

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
tchalien plays in the PSP
tchalien owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tchalien owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tchalien posts videos on PbNation
tchalien plays in the APPA D4 division
tchalien is Legendary
Hey guys,
I don't know how much help I can be with this particular issue. We have 2 fields on campus, but we had to tiptoe around this issue. At first guns were banned, then we had to lock them up in the police department. Now, it is a non-issue for the most part. We still tell our players not to have their marker fully assembled when not at the field.
Let me know and possibly I could talk to your Club Sports or I could have our Director of Club Sports talk to them.
Sidenote... we also have a shooting range on campus and the school is considering allowing concealed handgun permit to extend to on campus too.... Soooo we might not be the best people to help you out...
Old 02-01-2011, 02:58 PM #6
eabowers

is there any other schools out there. I think Tenn U has reball..
eabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:15 PM #7
dymium
Joe R.

Annual Supporting Member
dymium is a Supporting Member
dymium plays in the PSP
dymium is an NCPA player
dymium plays in the APPA D4 division
Michigan Tech and Louisiana Tech also have/had the ability to play reball on campus.

Here's a few other threads to get you started in the right direction:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3485720
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2914903
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3088484

Joe
dymium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 PM #8
miniman12

miniman12 supports Team VICIOUS
miniman12 is an NCPA player
miniman12 supports Pev's Paintball
miniman12 plays in the APPA D5 division
We have reball on campus (GMU).

SPONSORS:
PEVS Paintball
DSSP8NTBALL.COM
LeftCoastPaintball.Com
miniman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM #9
KDevil

KDevil plays in the PSP
KDevil plays in the APPA D3 division
MR BUFFALO!

We snap indoors in the winter and have a full field when the ski slope is not open...

then again we are the military.

Our school does not allow the markers in our barracks/dorms so that might be your compromise. That or lock it up w/ Campus Security.

-West Point

Tazer Ball Support
OG KIRK WOZNY FAN #1
KDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 PM #10
FullMetalJester
NU Coach / Gun Tech

FullMetalJester plays in the PSP
FullMetalJester is an NCPA player
FullMetalJester plays in the APPA D4 division
not sure how your campus housing situation is, but we always got around the markers on campus issue by having an off-campus upper class-men keep them in their apt.
FullMetalJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 PM #11
Panther14

HHHHH what up west point! Yeah, we are just trying to do as much research as possible and get as many contacts as we can before we meet with campus safety
Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 PM #12
eabowers

Panther, maybe you should pm some of these guys to get contact numbers from them on who to talk to and how to reach them. thats would i would do...
eabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 PM #13
govols18
D-Marb

govols18 plays in the PSP
govols18 is an NCPA player
govols18 is an NCPA National Champion
govols18 plays in the APPA D4 division
University of Tennessee does have reball on campus. PM me if you want some direct information or have particular questions.
Tennessee Volunteers #18

2010-2011 Class A National Champions

Troopers
govols18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:21 AM #14
Panther14

So as you know we are trying to reballs on campus and the email we received from our club sports program on the subject is shown below. Do any of you know if your program is recognized by NIRSA? I have contact information for most of the people that have replied on this thread (thanks again) but there has got to be more schools with reballs, so if your school allows reballs please let us know that would help immensely!

"The club will need to do some research as we discussed, and you can start by contacting the institutions that currently have Paintball Clubs, that are also recognized by NIRSA (www.nirsa.org), the leading resource and our industry standard for professional and student development, education, and research in collegiate recreational sports. I have provided a copy of the list of NIRSA-recognized institutions in the club mailbox.

The questions that need to be asked are:
1) Do they currently have a Paintball club recognized on-campus?
2) Do they allow the use of reusable paintballs "reball) on-campus? If so, where do they allow it? Inside the rec center (gym, multi-purpose room) or outside on a field or both?

You will also need to contact the Jesuit member institutions: http://www.ajcunet.edu/Member-Institutions so be sure to contact all of them, even if they are not on the NIRSA list, Their feedback is essential. "
Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 AM #15
UMDpaintball
TMNT4life

UMDpaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
UMDpaintball is an NCPA player
UMDpaintball plays in the APPA D5 division
Maryland has reball on campus.

Paintball Adventure Park
University of Maryland
UMDpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote