Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-15-2010, 12:24 AM #1
TokenAlcoholic (Banned)

I think paintball has hit a brick wall

There hasn't been any drastic changes in several years, you no longer have to spend $1,000+ for a gun with eyes, an electronic board, regulator, low pressure, or a high cycle rate. However, you still have those companies cranking out guns with very little advantage to keep that price tag but other than gimmicks(a board that talks to you) there isn't any real difference and there hasn't been much that has changed. Sure we packaged it better, smaller, and lighter, but in truth has paintball really done anything, technology wise, since 2003?
TokenAlcoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2010, 12:35 AM #2
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

First strike rounds, the Apex barrel, single-tube spoolers, 40bps loaders, cornstarch-based paint fill, handheld chronographs, propane-based guns, and grenades that actually work without explosives.

Edit, on second thought, I actually had a hand-held chronograph back in 2002.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 AM #3
yanks914
Toomey.

yanks914 plays in the PSP
yanks914 donated to help Peyton Trent
yanks914 plays in the APPA D3 division
Completely tooless hoppers, bluetooth integration, PC to board connections....there has been plenty of innovation since 03
Old 11-15-2010, 03:33 AM #4
pb12shooter
Waffles>Pancakes

has been a member for 10 years
pb12shooter owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pb12shooter supports Sherwood Forest
pb12shooter is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks914 View Post
Completely tooless hoppers, bluetooth integration, PC to board connections....there has been plenty of innovation since 03
Wasn't WAS and raceframe pc to board?
I know those have been out for a while.

ST ACCIDENTS 2011
pb12shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:16 AM #5
TokenAlcoholic (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
First strike rounds, the Apex barrel, single-tube spoolers, 40bps loaders, cornstarch-based paint fill, handheld chronographs, propane-based guns, and grenades that actually work without explosives.

Edit, on second thought, I actually had a hand-held chronograph back in 2002.
First strike rounds are a novelty and I am unsure whether they work at all. Either way VERY few people are willing to use them.
Apex barrel, otherwise known as the flatline, has been around since long before 2003.
Single tube spoolers are what came out long before 2003
40bps loaders are a gimmick, I've never shot 40bps that I know of, but the HALO B came out sometime around 2002.
Handheld chronos have been around since the early 1990's.
Propane-based guns... lets not go there
I have yet to see a grenade that works.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:17 AM #6
TokenAlcoholic (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb12shooter View Post
Wasn't WAS and raceframe pc to board?
I know those have been out for a while.
raceframe yes, WAS no.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 AM #7
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

You asked if paintball had "done anything, technology-wise, since 2003."
Not if paintball had done anything technology-wise that you liked.
No one but you is prepared to answer that question.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 AM #8
TokenAlcoholic (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
You asked if paintball had "done anything, technology-wise, since 2003."
Not if paintball had done anything technology-wise that you liked.
No one but you is prepared to answer that question.
Let me rephrase that, has anyone done anything that has changed the face of paintballer for most players. In the way electropneumatic guns have, eyes have, semi-auto operation has. My answer is no, guns have gotten smaller, lighter and faster, but it is just the same technology refined.
Plus, 2003 was a date I pulled out of my ***, maybe in the last 2 years we have stopped, maybe we just hit it, I'm saying there isn't much else we can do to guns that we already haven't done to at least one that will change the face of paintball.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 AM #9
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Actually, 2003 isn't far off. Gun technology, really innovative stuff, hasn't moved forward all that much. What we have has been refined pretty nicely, and some of the details have either been innovated or improved. Functionally, most guns out there today aren't much different than what you could pull out from 7-8 years ago. Lighter, smaller, far more efficient, but still functionally pretty similar.

There has definitely been improvements and innovation in accessories and equipment, though. Goggles today are MUCH improved over what we had then. Hoppers are leaps and bounds forward. I mean, compare a Revy or an Egg to today's Rotor or Prophecy. Barrels aren't so much fashion statement (although I miss stainless steel sometimes), but are a functional device matched to our paint. Protective gear? Anyone else ever used the old Renegade knee/shin pads? Today's are far superior, and I still have my Renegades in the basement.

Here's the kicker, though. We're still playing the same basic game we played in 2003-ish. Should the game itself warrant a change in gun types, we might see a real change in how things on the gun end are done.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:50 AM #10
ELuSiVe1151

ELuSiVe1151 plays in the PSP
ELuSiVe1151 is an NCPA player
ELuSiVe1151 plays in the APPA D5 division
lol remember Egg lids?
The Grind Continues!!!
Enflict - Jim Pica Foto - Meadowlands PB
ELuSiVe1151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:32 AM #11
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
I actually kind of liked the Egg lid. The ability to run with the hopper open like that and not increase your profile was kind of nice. It also let you have a little "catch can" for loading up. Heck, even the balance wasn't terrible once you got used to it, and the same setup sort of showed back up in the Magna. If only the parts weren't so darn frail. I don't know how many battery doors I burned through on mine.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:55 PM #12
havoc3413
Xbox Gammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokenAlcoholic View Post
There hasn't been any drastic changes in several years, you no longer have to spend $1,000+ for a gun with eyes, an electronic board, regulator, low pressure, or a high cycle rate. However, you still have those companies cranking out guns with very little advantage to keep that price tag but other than gimmicks(a board that talks to you) there isn't any real difference and there hasn't been much that has changed. Sure we packaged it better, smaller, and lighter, but in truth has paintball really done anything, technology wise, since 2003?
1.Just the fact that a marker that was $700+ in 2003 is now about half that means that the technology in manufacturing and materials is improved otherwise markers like the G3 and Etek would be easily twice as much.

2.If you make a statement like this, maybe you should have an idea for improvements to paintball equipment.

3.Who cares, I feel paintball is in a good place now, and the focus should be on promoting the sport and safety.
havoc3413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 PM #13
spifbob

spifbob supports Cereal Killerz 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
I actually kind of liked the Egg lid. The ability to run with the hopper open like that and not increase your profile was kind of nice. It also let you have a little "catch can" for loading up. Heck, even the balance wasn't terrible once you got used to it, and the same setup sort of showed back up in the Magna. If only the parts weren't so darn frail. I don't know how many battery doors I burned through on mine.
I've seen more video footage of eggs spinning around on a failed dive than all other loaders combined. Maybe if the egg had the feedneck located a bit closer to center of gravity... (similar behavior with the magna)
spifbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:44 PM #14
spifbob

Quote:

Here's the kicker, though. We're still playing the same basic game we played in 2003-ish. Should the game itself warrant a change in gun types, we might see a real change in how things on the gun end are done.
What do you mean by this?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM #15
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by spifbob View Post
I've seen more video footage of eggs spinning around on a failed dive than all other loaders combined. Maybe if the egg had the feedneck located a bit closer to center of gravity... (similar behavior with the magna)
Guess not everyone cranked them down like I did. I also tend to use electrical tape either on the neck of the hopper, or around the hopper and gun feedneck. I'm old-school paranoid about attaching my hoppers.

Quote:
What do you mean by this?
The version of the game that gets the press is still what we once called "concept field" paintball. Hyperball and/or inflatable fields placed on level ground with the field being identically mirrored down the centerline. Usually a "snake" style series of bunkers on one side, and a "dorito" series on the other, with a mixing of a large set of bunkers in the rear for back guys, and some large unit in the center to make the middle of the field seem important. Center flag or flags at start stations. No matter where you go in competative paintball, indoor or outdoor, it's the same game.

If something very different were to be introduced, we might see a focus on some other type of gun development. Perhaps if the game were played in a darkened building, or at ranges longer than 100 feet at a time, or if play moved into the woods for serious tournaments again, or something else all together, the gun designs would be altered to fit that game. As of right now, what worked on the tournament field for the last seven years is still what works today.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:45 PM #16
spifbob

Quote:

If something very different were to be introduced, we might see a focus on some other type of gun development. Perhaps if the game were played in a darkened building, or at ranges longer than 100 feet at a time, or if play moved into the woods for serious tournaments again, or something else all together, the gun designs would be altered to fit that game. As of right now, what worked on the tournament field for the last seven years is still what works today.
You know as well (better) than most that the physical limitations of paintball. Aren't the current forms of play geared to create the most amount of action as possible from the start? Is it even possible to revert back to a tactical conflict?

Internet killed the video star: remember 720, traumahead, pbfilms, jawbreaker, et al? Only the pure nerds of the sport watched the videos.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 PM #17
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
You know as well (better) than most that the physical limitations of paintball. Aren't the current forms of play geared to create the most amount of action as possible from the start? Is it even possible to revert back to a tactical conflict?
Possible, but unlikely. The current format was designed not just to make paintball more spectator-friendly, but also to provoke players into shooting as much paint per game as possible. The paintball producers have more sway on the formats and field choices than any other element in the sport, and as long as they retain their power they will have no interest in doing things that will reduce the amount of paint used per game (Things like enlarging the field, adding more cover, making flag hangs/victory practical without first eliminating the entire opposing team, etc.).

Also, while the OP has dismissed them, I think the advances of the First Strike round exceed in very significant ways the traditional physical limitations of paintball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc3413 View Post
1.Just the fact that a marker that was $700+ in 2003 is now about half that means that the technology in manufacturing and materials is improved otherwise markers like the G3 and Etek would be easily twice as much.
But that's even true of something like an Ego or DM. The upper-end gun market is driven almost entirely by fashion and aesthetics and last year's gun is always worth 66% of its original value, then less. This is more of a product of shrewd marketing on the part of the manufacturers than stagnating technology if you ask me.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 PM #18
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
I think it bears mentioning that the tournament scene has been 100% dictated by the industry itself, rather than the players. Even with the USPL (player owned league), the players in control are tied tightly to the industry. With that in mind, of course it's going to remain the same game.

I have to agree on the impact of First Strike rounds. That's actual new ground being broken... and then brought to market. Take a look at some of the more scenario and recreationally geared markers coming out now. The Empire Trracer is a great example. They're coming with the body set up to feed FS rounds, and even with a barrel sized to fit those FS rounds perfectly. That does bring something to mind, too, but I can't mention it at this time.

Sometimes I wish I didn't get these ideas in my head, since I have very few methods of bringing any of them to the market.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 PM #19
dexo

dexo owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
You can customize your guns bps and settings and hoppers too (don't know if any said that yet)
Old 11-15-2010, 07:10 PM #20
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexo View Post
You can customize your guns bps and settings and hoppers too (don't know if any said that yet)
I know for certain that the Angel LCD offered mode/rate customization as early as 1999.
You can read the manual for yourself here: http://hosting.pbportal.de/files/200...lcd-manual.pdf

I'm not sure if the Bushmaster 2000 or Shocker offered mode customization, but they had multiple firing modes, as did the Rainmaker I had.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:39 PM #21
TokenAlcoholic (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc3413 View Post
2.If you make a statement like this, maybe you should have an idea for improvements to paintball equipment.
What brought you to this conclusion?