Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 PM #1
supermanshorin

What to look for?

I'm new to paintball, and I'm trying to figure out what key features to look for. As far as hoppers and hpa tanks go, what things should I try to get and what should I avoid?
supermanshorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2010, 01:32 AM #2
XiledHawaii

XiledHawaii has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
XiledHawaii has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
XiledHawaii is attending Decay of Nations VI
if you're just starting out, you can probably just stick with a simple gravity feed loader. if you do decide to get an electric one, try to avoid the viewloader quantums. on hoppers, the electric ones help you to shoot faster, but do cost more. you can pick up a simple gravity feed like a VL200 for just a few bucks, but the price can go up to like $150 for a dye rotor. you could just start out with a simple gravity feed loader because it's really cheap and then if you need to be able to shoot faster, invest in a better loader. on electric hoppers, there are two main types. 1). force feed. these hoppers just turn the paddles inside constantly as long as they're on, resulting in fast feeding but the possibility for breaks inside of the hopper(and more noise). 2). eyes/sound. on these, either by using break-beam eyes or sound activation, once turned on, they only turn the paddles inside when you're shooting, resulting in a more efficient and quieter hopper with less possibilities for breaks inside. a cheap sound-activated hopper is the Invert Reloader 2 which can be found for $30-$40 and work well for a beginner's needs.

most the main difference between hpa tanks is the size and the pressure
there will be carbon fiber tanks which will have a pressure of 4500 psi(as opposed to 3000 psi on steel/aluminum tanks), which will enable you to be able to shoot more per fill, as well as being much lighter than the steel/aluminum tanks. the only downside to getting carbon fiber (especially if you're just taking up paintball), is that they cost MUCH more. the other big factor in getting a tank is the size (cubic inches/ci). the size also determines the amount of shots which you can get per fill. if you're planning on shooting pump or not shooting a lot, a tank ranging from 45-50ci should be fine for you, but if you plan on shooting more, get a bigger tank. the amount of shots on a 50ci tank is about 500-800 per fill (i dont remember the exact amount). the brand on a tank isn't really important, so much as the price, especially when you're just starting out. you don't want to get a refurbished tank because they'll have a shorter lifespan
the prices range from ~$40-70 for a metal tank to ~$100-200 for a carbon fiber tank on average

hope this helps
XiledHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 AM #3
eyeownyu
ryan

eyeownyu plays in the APPA D3 division
pretty much nailed everyting on the head except the force feed loader description.

a force feed loader is any loader that puts constant pressure on the ball stack by use of a spring, constant tension, or magnets. these include the rotor, prophecy, halo type loader, vlocity

the other type of electric loader is called an agitating loader such as the revvy or pinokio. these do not put pressure on the ball stack, but rather agitate the paint on the hopper so it will go into the feedneck faster. pinokios are designed to be very competitive with a force feed loader, but technically its not considered one.

whether a loader has eyes, sound, or force activated has nothing to do with it being force fed or not. a revvy has eyes just like a halo does. a velocity has eyes, but the hopper does not turn off, it keeps tension on the ball stack.

back to the OP's question, it really depends on how much you want to spend and how devoted you are going to be into the sport. there is no reason to spend hundreds of dollars on fancy hoppers and air tanks if you are just going to quit after a few months. likewise there is no point in starting out with beginner gear if you KNOW FOR A FACT you are going to keep playing and maybe later on move into tourney ball.

hope this helps.

"It's the decisions you make when you have no time to make them that defines who you are." ~ teh_masterer
Only after disaster can we be resurrected. ~Tyler Durden
San Diego Pirates
VSB.
eyeownyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:52 AM #4
supermanshorin

Thanks guys. Seems to be the info I as looking for.
supermanshorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:56 PM #5
XiledHawaii

XiledHawaii has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
XiledHawaii has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
XiledHawaii is attending Decay of Nations VI
lol oopsie yeah
i was thinkin of the constant feed loaders not force feed >.<
my bad on that, long day
but yeah, try to avoid the constantly feeding ones cuz they have higher breaks and are noisier
(a lot of these are cheaper ones that don't have eyes or sound activation but are still electronic)
XiledHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote