Community Focus

Old 11-07-2010, 09:17 PM #1
SubliminalKi11

SubliminalKi11 is playing at Living Legends VI
SubliminalKi11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SubliminalKi11 is an NCPA player
SubliminalKi11 plays in the APPA D5 division
Question School Team StartUp?

I am currently trying to start a club team for my high school and was wondering in anyone had advise or previous experiment in getting this done. I would really like help in

- Talking a field into giving us a discount
- Where to get custom jerseys
- Funding/Sponsorships
- and getting a teacher advisor

Right now as it lies it would be about $800 for 15 weeks not including tournaments that 15 weeks or rec play once a week. Any help is appreciated! =)

http://www.the-whiteboard.com/

Last edited by SubliminalKi11 : 11-11-2010 at 10:30 AM.
SubliminalKi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2010, 09:20 PM #2
bobalis
ROLO

has been a member for 10 years
bobalis supports our troops
bobalis has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Go check out the NCPA's website. I think they should have information about starting up HS pball clubs.
bobalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:24 PM #3
ply2kill

for jerseys go to the ncpa website because they have special rules about the jerseys.
For a teacher advisor go to a jrotc teacher. tell him u want to make a paintball club, and many jrotc students play paintball, tell him that paintball is a great team building activity. If ur school has club funding he will help u get some of it. U will also need to make waiver forms for everyone thats in the club.
Ask ur local field that if you can bring your club every week or every other week will they give you a discount on air, paint, and entry.
sponsorship is going to be hard to get for a good one, try doing "club fundraisers" like sell things at sports games, sell raffle tickets for something, hold a car wash, ect... this will help you get money faster and easier then getting a sponsorship.
also make sure there are enough NCPA teams around you or you wont have anyone to play intill you get to regionals.
this is what happened to us. so now we just go to local tourneys around our state and then go to regionals.
If you have anymore questions pm me
ply2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:41 PM #4
dynamomark
BallzOut Paintball

dynamomark owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
dynamomark supports our troops
get organized as much as possible!
talking to a filed owner, present what you can offer them for what they can offer you. some fields will waive practive entry if you buy all your paint from them, how much paint can you buy and what grade of paint may help in negotiations. Maybe you can offer that the club will help out at the field too. Offer to hand out some sort of coupon fliers for the field to bring more biz to that filed. Im sure that if your club gets 100 or people a month to bring in a flier for like a $5 off rental package deal that field would love you guys.

pay for your jerseys out of players pocket so you dont get students getting in then dropping out of the club and costing the club $.

for funding see what the requirement are for school funding and host crazy amount of fund raisers. car washes are always popular, in-out has fund raiser stuff, see's candy bars, have club hosted dinners, bake sales. get you hustle on man. hell in high school our teacher bought cases of candy bars from a bulk store on the cheap and we sold them at a huge profit to pay for shop supplies. If I cam across a group of polite jerseid up paintballers in my area selling candy for a club I would buy some.

now getting a teacher in on all the fun would be nice. myself I would look for two, a guy and a girl. Why you ask, so you can be co-ed which is always a plus wink wink and because one way have a family and not be able to fully commit to everything. maybe look for two of the most kick *** fun teachers in the school.

][nvert Mini / Infinity Legend / ICD B2K4 w/ pds / Tippmann A5 / 2011 Mokal Aura / Spyder Advancer / GI Micro50 / Spyder Imagine / WGP Outkast Pump / WGP Prostock / DP E1 / Azodin Kaos
dynamomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:43 AM #5
Dysfunctional
Fossil of the forum

Dysfunctional is playing at Living Legends V
Dysfunctional supports our troops
Dysfunctional is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Dysfunctional supports Pev's Paintball
Dysfunctional is attending Decay of Nations VI
Here's a link that was mentioned above http://www.college-paintball.com

Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.
Dysfunctional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:07 PM #6
SubliminalKi11

NCPA we checked out but the rules are kind of convoluted and as was previously aforementioned there are like no teams nor are there local events.

I called the local field but only was able to leave a message and as for funding we are currently looking into fundraising methods, such as selling something.

I am really hopping Boston PB will allow us to idk work or advertise for them in a return because paint and air are the only tangible things they are providing so brining that price dow a ton would be huge.

Thanks for the input guys its really helping.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:08 PM #7
SubliminalKi11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ply2kill View Post
For a teacher advisor go to a jrotc teacher. tell him u want to make a paintball club, and many jrotc students play paintball, tell him that paintball is a great team building activity.
What is jrotc

Old 11-08-2010, 02:23 PM #8
Righte
Yea, I rush

Righte supports Sherwood Forest
Righte is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalKi11 View Post
NCPA we checked out but the rules are kind of convoluted and as was previously aforementioned there are like no teams nor are there local events.

I called the local field but only was able to leave a message and as for funding we are currently looking into fundraising methods, such as selling something.

I am really hopping Boston PB will allow us to idk work or advertise for them in a return because paint and air are the only tangible things they are providing so brining that price dow a ton would be huge.

Your talking more then that. Your local field, if you get LUCKY is probably going to sell you the paint at around 30$ a case, and free entry. Your going to need to put about a good 1000$ in jerseys and sell spots on the shirts for money.

Your not going to get your local field to pay for a high school team and supply all the paint, there's no way.

Another thing is, it's a club for your school. Your going to have to pretty much let anyone who wants to, join the club.

Here's a good idea.

For 12 weeks make them pay a substantial amount.

Let's say you all go to your local field once a week, you get a deal where you get in free and paint is only 30$

Charge 35$ a week. This brings in revenue for other things for the club

35 x 12 = $420

If members are wanting 2 cases each time they go, charge them 65$ a week.

You want to gain money for other things, not just stay even.
Quote:
What is jrotc
Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps

I can't believe your not familiar with that program.
Righte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:29 PM #9
SubliminalKi11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righte View Post
Your talking more then that. Your local field, if you get LUCKY is probably going to sell you the paint at around 30$ a case, and free entry. Your going to need to put about a good 1000$ in jerseys and sell spots on the shirts for money.

Your not going to get your local field to pay for a high school team and supply all the paint, there's no way.
I wasn't expecting this at all field and entry are $85/person i was hoping 50/person/week

Quote:
Another thing is, it's a club for your school. Your going to have to pretty much let anyone who wants to, join the club.

Here's a good idea.

For 12 weeks make them pay a substantial amount.

Let's say you all go to your local field once a week, you get a deal where you get in free and paint is only 30$

Charge 35$ a week. This brings in revenue for other things for the club

35 x 12 = $420

If members are wanting 2 cases each time they go, charge them 65$ a week.

You want to gain money for other things, not just stay even.
I'm not trying to gain revenue because i want to make it cheap for everyone and also I dont care who joins. I was thinking going once a week and giving 1/2 a case per visit with the club fee. I am trying to figure out what that fee will be, because getting that number down is the most important thing of all!

Quote:
Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps

I can't believe your not familiar with that program.

Sorry? Actually I have heard of ROTC being associated with the army but I'm not sure my school has one.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:07 PM #10
TXGraphixPB
Formerly Texasballa24

TXGraphixPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TXGraphixPB supports Team VICIOUS
TXGraphixPB is for the Gunfight
as far as teacher, just get a cool teacher at your school to be your club sponsor. maybe one that enjoys the sport of paintball...
Old 11-08-2010, 03:48 PM #11
Colinb913
Paintball is life.

Colinb913 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Colinb913 supports Team VICIOUS
When I was going to start this in Jr. High, I went to my assistant principal, because he plays pump, I did it in 8th grade, but didn't follow through, because I was leaving that school the next year (to go to High School). But he would call me down about once a week, or so, and just shoot the ****, and talk about paintball. He was a really cool *** guy.

But try to find a teacher that plays paintball, or has played before, and has some background in it. Don't get an *** hole that will be a tight wad during outings and stuff, and is a control freak, or it wont be any fun for any one.

You will want to make some revenue so you guys have some $ to fall back on in case you need it (jerseys, tournaments, other ****), and not have to make everyone cough up $300 to enter a tournament. Trust me. I had this whole thing outlined and ready to start the next year, but I switched to the High School. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

PS A great way to present this idea is get a bunch of facts about safety, and pro paintball things, print them, and put them all in a binder, and present it to a principal, or assistant principal during your lunch or study hall. This shows them you are willing to give up your free time (not class time) to pursue this matter.
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next 3 minutes, this is your heaven on earth...live it...love it...Paintball 4 life.
Corey15 is a SCAMMER

Colinb913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:28 PM #12
lucasicool

lucasicool helped look for balloons
lucasicool supports Sherwood Forest
lucasicool has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
lucasicool has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
lucasicool has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Or dont get a teacher at all because you dont need school affiliation.
lucasicool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 PM #13
SubliminalKi11

well being connected to the school open up so many more doors for fundraising, recognition and it's a lot of work but worth the payoff

Old 11-08-2010, 10:12 PM #14
dynamomark
BallzOut Paintball

dynamomark owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
dynamomark supports our troops
Quote:

I would just go down to the field and talk to them. You may not get a deal but you can get an idea of what they will be able to offer and what they will want in return for their help. You dont always need to be shooting crazy amounts of paint during practice. Try snap shooting drills or just run drills on the field w/o paint to get warmed up.

][nvert Mini / Infinity Legend / ICD B2K4 w/ pds / Tippmann A5 / 2011 Mokal Aura / Spyder Advancer / GI Micro50 / Spyder Imagine / WGP Outkast Pump / WGP Prostock / DP E1 / Azodin Kaos
dynamomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:38 PM #15
SubliminalKi11

I just called today, the main problem is that its 45 minutes away from my house but yeah i mean i was only thinking 1/2 a case per person but pooled at the same time if that makes sense. Like 8 people would split 4 cases.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:48 AM #16
XiledHawaii

XiledHawaii has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
XiledHawaii has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
XiledHawaii is attending Decay of Nations VI
in general, starting school-affiliated clubs can be difficult and problematic because of all the issues that it brings up. i'm not saying that its not possible, but just that it doesnt always work out.
what type of team are you plannin to start? pump or semi?
if its semi especially, you may want to put restrictions on the types of markers that people can bring because you probably don't want people signing up for the team with stuff like spyders.
if you know anyone who refs at the local field, that can be helpful because it can make it easier to get discounts & w/e
as to jerseys, http://www.animalpaintball.com/ is one possible site
XiledHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:12 PM #17
SubliminalKi11

25 people showed up! I figured 5-10 would be there but 25! As exciting as that is it throws a monkey wrench into the whole operation as a means of how to get there. Busses would be super expensive, this is a problematic victory.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:20 PM #18
lucasicool

lucasicool helped look for balloons
lucasicool supports Sherwood Forest
lucasicool has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
lucasicool has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
lucasicool has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
good luck man... but dont do just paintball for JROTC make a "military sports team" thats what we did and its airsoft/paintball it works because many airsofters have gotten into paintballing
lucasicool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 PM #19
r37r18u710n

has been a member for 10 years
r37r18u710n is a Forum Captain
Quote:
25 people showed up! I figured 5-10 would be there but 25! As exciting as that is it throws a monkey wrench into the whole operation as a means of how to get there. Busses would be super expensive, this is a problematic victory.
Carpooling will be the best bet. 25 people will (tightly) fit into 5 cars, 4 if you get all SUVs/minivans.

As for the OP;
Since you have 25 people now (if I were to guess, more will come along), give the field another call and tell them how many people you have interested, tell them you're interested in them sponsoring you and in exchange you will offer them such and such services. I doubt bringing in a large group of people to play will win them over, but perhaps offer the club's services to ref open play (rotate who refs when to keep it fair). When I played, my team would ref Saturdays (open play), get a slight discount on paint, and we got to use their fields to practice on Sundays.

For Jerseys, we used Animal Paintball and the jerseys came out really well. I think they ended up being around $50 a person shipped to the captain's, and I'm pretty sure he ended up turning a profit as well. This was also only for 10-13 people. The more jerseys are being made, typically the cheaper they'll be.

Funding/Sponsorships you're kind of on your own. The best advice anyone can offer is to just go out and talk to people. If your team does well, it'll come easier. If not, it still never hurts to get the name out. Just call/email any manufacturer/paintball company you're interested in getting help from, tell them your story and see if you can start out with something basic. Don't expect to get everything paid for when you're just getting started.

Getting an advisor seems like it'd be the easiest. Just explain to a teacher that seems to like you what you aim to accomplish, and how it can benefit your school. This will be especially easy if you're in good standing (Good GPA, well behaved student with no history of causing trouble).

Good luck!
r37r18u710n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:26 PM #20
sharpshooter314

what would be really good is to find someone who would be joining the club with ALOT of woods and their parents approval, also the area needs to be flat, open section you can make a practicing field out of it. check my sig for what we did as an example. if you can do this, you would be able to play alot more and save alot more money in doing so.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:22 AM #21
SubliminalKi11

ahah i wish someone who taught played, everyone i ask has no desire to ever try the sport! A bnch of wimps if you ask me