Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: GPA in its current form is not an effective representation of ability
Agree 71 55.47%
Disagree 57 44.53%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2012, 01:04 AM #43
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

Blue_Cobra owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Blue_Cobra supports Team VICIOUS
Blue_Cobra posts videos on PbNation
Blue_Cobra supports Pev's Paintball
I love learning but with school, the whole grading system drags me down. I don't like it. It would be nice if they would grade people on their actual learning ability instead of testing the way they do. Idk if that relates to what you were actually thinking or not. lol

"Originally posted by greenperson: lol you just completely shutout savephace. they were like "look. our lens can take a gelatin shell at 425 FPS". and Vforce is like "ok. ours can take bullets.""
LEGO PAINTBALL WHAT DO YOU THINK???
Need to sell gear? Go to U.S.A. B/S/T! It's easy & it's Facebook!
Blue_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2012, 06:40 PM #44
IonBaller07
Joyness, I Has It

IonBaller07 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I would say that in each class no its not because some test throw me off or a teacher sucks. But overall I have a 2.8 GPA and I would say that is about how much work i put in.
I WANT CHICKEN AND CHI-CHI'S
I WANT TASTE BUDS
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 AM #45
nubsauce

nubsauce owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
nubsauce has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Someone who has a 4.0 at a small directional school cannot be compared to any top 50 school. Academic rigor is simply too far apart.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:00 PM #46
ArchAngelIon
VSBGODB

ArchAngelIon plays in the PSP
ArchAngelIon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ArchAngelIon posts videos on PbNation
ArchAngelIon is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
OP-First off start the appeals process. You explained your case well here, but how are your interview skills? Be as professional as possible as you try and achieve a positive outcome. You are too close to the target GPA to have them **** you over like that.

I support taking a wide spectrum of classes. Say you have a challenging major, balance that out with a more relaxing minor. You can have the minor GPA overcome any of those C's you get in a brutal major. 3.3 in major, 3.8 in minor.

The only thing I find valuable, about your species, is the noises you make when you die.

Looking for Classic video games, will trade dollars: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...7#post82009777
ArchAngelIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:17 PM #47
Programmer

Graduate schools and employers are going to care more about your letters of recommendation than your GPA. Not only that but they will look at what kind of loads you were taking. Plus if you're going to go straight into the workforce after graduate, they may not even look at your GPA. At least this has been my experience as a graduate student, and being involved in hiring processes.
As for your current situation, there's probably a signature that you need and you'll be able to enroll in the class you want.
Programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:17 PM #48
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul

mnp8nt is playing at Living Legends III
mnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mnp8nt supports Team VICIOUS
mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
mnp8nt is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsauce View Post
Someone who has a 4.0 at a small directional school cannot be compared to any top 50 school. Academic rigor is simply too far apart.
Unless the program is accredited by an outside body for performance. One certainly loses specialized attention in a large school with a huge student to faculty ratio.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:47 PM #49
Kenny_McCormick

Looking at all the other people in my mechanical engineering program, merely passing everything the first time around is a small feat in itself. GPA in heavy duty math/science is a good measure of how suicidal you are, I could probably have a 3.8 if I never left my room,slept 5 hours a night, and drank 12 cups of coffee per day, however I prefer not dying.
Narrator: [Talking slowly] And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.
Kenny_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:51 PM #50
kuski19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_McCormick View Post
Looking at all the other people in my mechanical engineering program, merely passing everything the first time around is a small feat in itself. GPA in heavy duty math/science is a good measure of how suicidal you are, I could probably have a 3.8 if I never left my room,slept 5 hours a night, and drank 12 cups of coffee per day, however I prefer not dying.
hahaha pretty much the same thing my roommate says. He's in mechanical engineering as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:11 AM #51
tater66

has been a member for 10 years
Nope. Do you want someone who has just breezed through classwork, school, and projects in a stressful decision making job? Or do you want someone who has actually faced adversity, busted their *** to come back from a bad class/exam, and actually felt the stress of doing so? As long as your 3.0 and above then it is all about how much your interviewer likes you.

"Originally Posted by AR55
Must of been a pretty intense game if you had to wear headbands."
tater66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM #52
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
MVPaintballer is a Mega Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
MVPaintballer posts videos on PbNation
MVPaintballer supports our troops
GPA is only useful in comparing students within a major within school. A student with a 3.8 at Harvard may not be as knowledgeable or as well educated as a student with a 3.8 from a large state school.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:52 PM #53
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Any college student knows that GPA is a bad measurement of one's actual learning, or performance. Different professors teaching the same exact class will have different teaching methods and expectations.

If you are going into a field that artificially keeps their supply of workers low you should have planned for it *kanyeshrug*
Old 07-30-2012, 12:47 PM #54
Tomvec629

Tomvec629 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Tomvec629 is for the Gunfight
Tomvec629 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
i really dont think its a good measure. college is about learning and growing as a person and it is not just limited to the class room

http://cubetitans.com/cleavage-challenge/cc-1/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfoMYRBrozc
Tomvec629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 PM #55
doddly

there are many kids who cheat their way into good GPAs or have easier teachers than others. So I voted no
doddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM #56
Thumper614

Thumper614 is an NCPA player
Thumper614 plays in the APPA D4 division
Thumper614 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GPA reflectivity varies from person to person. Some people may be book smart but can't apply the same theories outside of a classroom environment, while others can dominate outside a classroom environment but feel constricted to the teachers wants and expectations.
Though some will disagree and think that this is completely dumb, "how can someone have troubles with applying the same theory from in class to a real world problem." Well, again it changes from person to person on how they react to certain situations.
GPA is just a way for schools to rank students on how they expect one to preform, nothing more.
Thumper614 is offline   Reply With Quote