Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 AM #1
giants57

Aspects of going Greek

I'm going to be a freshman at WVU this fall and plan on rushing. My question for current fraternity brothers is which aspects of Greek life do you feel have helped you the most in college and what have you enjoyed the most? As well as things that you never would of thought of before going Greek.
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

"Originally posted by Ly$ol: Sometimes I feel bad when I lead a ***** on, but hey it's a numbers game."
giants57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:31 PM #2
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
At a school with a well developed greek system, you will network faster, go to bigger (and more frequent) parties, meet more girls, and enjoy access to an alumni network that open doors for you. You will also be encouraged to get involved in service-based projects that further the community and look great on a resume.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:49 PM #3
kuski19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
, go to bigger (and more frequent) parties, meet more girls,
Not true at all, unless you're socially awkward I guess.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:54 PM #4
ProtoBaller1991
The Grippiest Grip

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuski19 View Post
did read that wrong?

I do tv show things

ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 AM #5
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Why bother?
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:55 PM #6
Wolffyhardt

Wolffyhardt has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Wolffyhardt has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Wolffyhardt has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoBaller1991 View Post
did read that wrong?
Evidently...
Wolffyhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 PM #7
CyberdynesModels101
Equity Analyst

CyberdynesModels101 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CyberdynesModels101 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CyberdynesModels101 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Joining a fraternity was the best/worst decision in my life. We'll start with the negative -It killed my grades, I became an alcoholic, and I got the ever living hell hazed outta me. After every lineup my elbows would be bloodied to ****... all you greeks know what I'm talking about. Now lets move on to the positive - I have a group of brothers, not friends. Some of them are my best friends, others I could careless about but if they really needed me, I'd be there for them and vice versa. My pledge-brothers have a bond that will never be broken, and I would do anything for them. With the brotherhood aspect set aside, I party every weekend, know more girls than I ever have before, and I'm well connected.

EDIT: I will not list my chapter because we are a non hazing fraternity
Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 PM #8
paintballfreak45_2

paintballfreak45_2 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintballfreak45_2 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
At a school with a well developed greek system, you will network faster, go to bigger (and more frequent) parties, meet more girls, and enjoy access to an alumni network that open doors for you. You will also be encouraged to get involved in service-based projects that further the community and look great on a resume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberdynesModels101 View Post
Joining a fraternity was the best/worst decision in my life. We'll start with the negative -It killed my grades, I became an alcoholic, and I got the ever living hell hazed outta me. After every lineup my elbows would be bloodied to ****... all you greeks know what I'm talking about. Now lets move on to the positive - I have a group of brothers, not friends. Some of them are my best friends, others I could careless about but if they really needed me, I'd be there for them and vice versa. My pledge-brothers have a bond that will never be broken, and I would do anything for them. With the brotherhood aspect set aside, I party every weekend, know more girls than I ever have before, and I'm well connected.

EDIT: I will not list my chapter because we are a non hazing fraternity
Those two will pretty much cover it.

You're going to get hazed. Trust me, it's worth it. It will make you stronger mentally. Along with networking, I feel that the pledging process plays a large role in why fraternity men typically do very well in the business world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuski19 View Post
You apparently have no idea.

Best decision ever. I honestly have no idea what non-greeks do in their free time in college and I go to a large SEC "party school".
Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 AM #9
kuski19

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballfreak45_2 View Post
T

I honestly have no idea what non-greeks do in their free time in college and I go to a large SEC "party school".
Well I guess it's different at OSU. Non-greeks have bigger parties.

Last edited by kuski19 : 07-10-2012 at 08:54 AM.
kuski19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:36 PM #10
PBMaestro

Athletics programs at large state schools like WVU usually have a just as good party scene as fraternities.
PBMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:37 PM #11
paintballfreak45_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBMaestro View Post
Athletics programs at large state schools like WVU usually have a just as good party scene as fraternities.
What? I'm in the SEC. If you haven't noticed, we are the Mecca of college athletics.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 PM #12
giants57

I'm sort of testing the waters right now trying to decide whether or not I want to do it. I love having a great time, networking, etc. I'm just afraid it will really dick up my GPA if I can't get a handle on it and effect my chances of Law School.
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

"Originally posted by Ly$ol: Sometimes I feel bad when I lead a ***** on, but hey it's a numbers game."
Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 AM #13
bcpudge7
iSPY Photography

bcpudge7 is a Paintball photographer
bcpudge7 supports Cereal Killerz 2
bcpudge7 supports Team VICIOUS
Then rush in the spring if your school has that option, I waited out my fall freshman semester to ensure that I could handle the workload of my classes. Once I proved to myself my GPA would be fine, I pledged in my spring semester and it was the best decision i've ever made.
bcpudge7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:16 PM #14
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by giants57 View Post
I'm sort of testing the waters right now trying to decide whether or not I want to do it. I love having a great time, networking, etc. I'm just afraid it will really dick up my GPA if I can't get a handle on it and effect my chances of Law School.
You can always drop if you can't handle it. You don't want to miss out.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:30 AM #15
ArchAngelIon
W.T. Snacks

ArchAngelIon plays in the PSP
ArchAngelIon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ArchAngelIon posts videos on PbNation
ArchAngelIon is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
We had a player from a well established east coast Xball program that went Greek and attempted to play paintball and well... pass classes.

The practices he did attend he would play a point, and than go to the sideline and just vomit up alcohol and bile and later pass out.

Mostly everyone who goes Greek gets in trouble with the law. At first he got a simple underage drinking ticket. He later got caught with weed on campus. The icing on the cake is when his buddy was driving and he was drinking a beer underage in the car.

He ended up so much in debt to fight his charges, he couldn't afford paintball and his parents pulled the plug and he is now a college drop out.

Frats have many instances of rape, forced drinking, and homo erotic hazing.

Your best bet is to stay the **** away, and join clubs relevant to your academic interests.

VSB Won't Sell Out
ArchAngelIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:59 AM #16
giants57

I'll see how I feel about it in the Spring. I've done a lot of reading and feel that maybe going Greek just isn't for me. As a hopeful future law student I don't think the imagining would exactly help my resume. Thanks everyone for the input.
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Old 07-12-2012, 03:36 PM #17
CyberdynesModels101
Equity Analyst

CyberdynesModels101 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CyberdynesModels101 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CyberdynesModels101 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
A lot of fraternities have study hours because at the end of the day, GPA means a lot to a fraternity. My grades suffered because the pledge educator never showed up to study hall and we just dicked around in the library. That semester I received a 1.8 where as beforehand (I pledged sophomore year), I had a 3.6. As for law school, both the ex the president and ex-vice president of my Fraternity went to prestigious law schools. If you work hard afterwards and increase your GPA, being part of a Fraternity looks really good on your application. Plus if your grades suffer now and you improve in the long run, the positive trends look good on law school applications. The ex-vice president in my fraternity also helps me study for the LSAT occasionally and I plan on going to law school in two years...just need the money for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngelIon View Post
We had a player from a well established east coast Xball program that went Greek and attempted to play paintball and well... pass classes.

The practices he did attend he would play a point, and than go to the sideline and just vomit up alcohol and bile and later pass out.

Mostly everyone who goes Greek gets in trouble with the law. At first he got a simple underage drinking ticket. He later got caught with weed on campus. The icing on the cake is when his buddy was driving and he was drinking a beer underage in the car.

He ended up so much in debt to fight his charges, he couldn't afford paintball and his parents pulled the plug and he is now a college drop out.

Frats have many instances of rape, forced drinking, and homo erotic hazing.

Your best bet is to stay the **** away, and join clubs relevant to your academic interests.
Your right, fraternities do have instances of rape, but it doesn't happen as often as you would think. Plus if your known as the "rape" fraternity, girls won't go to your parties and word of instances like that spreads like wildfire across campus. Fraternities have a reputation to protect. One time, a girl claimed she got raped at one of my fraternity's parties and our executive board was not happy and we took measures to ensure **** like that won't happen again.

Most fraternities that I know of at my school don't make pledges do any gay ****.

Forced drinking is the only one that almost all fraternities do, and yes it does suck but if your at a point where your blackout beyond blackout, brothers will come in and stop the hazers.

As for getting in trouble with the law.....I can't say much about that. I personally only have received a drinking ticket but a few of my brothers have been in trouble for marijuana possession and selling.

Quote:
I'll see how I feel about it in the Spring. I've done a lot of reading and feel that maybe going Greek just isn't for me. As a hopeful future law student I don't think the imagining would exactly help my resume. Thanks everyone for the input.
Like I said before, listing fraternity on your resume looks good because it means you have social skills. But remember, there's a different fraternity for everyone. You could chose the fraternity with the highest GPA, and I guarantee you they will have many law school bound seniors that are willing to help you prepare.

I have no regrets joining a fraternity, if I need help with school work, I know exactly who to call. If I get into trouble (knock on wood), one of our alumni offers his law services for a discount. If I have any problems in life or just wanna talk to somebody, I know who to talk to.

Last edited by CyberdynesModels101 : 07-12-2012 at 03:43 PM.
CyberdynesModels101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:53 AM #18
paintballfreak45_2

Quote:

Something like 60% of all Fortune 500 CEOs were greek. I'll go with it looking better on your resumé.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:01 PM #19
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
The poorly informed tend to speak louder on this subject than people that have real experience in the greek system. Pledgeship is temporary. Passing on the greek system isn't.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:40 AM #20
andyschein
OcD

andyschein plays in the PSP
andyschein owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
The bonds you create in a Greek system is great..You have brothers who are always there for you and will help you out in rough times.

The networking is great as well, the alumni are usually a great support in helping in finding internships and jobs.On the resume it looks good because of social skills whether you talk to executives,middle class or even the youth.

To be honest it was one of the best decisions of my life and it has only started.

Bring me a Luxe 1.0
andyschein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:22 PM #21
BenderBR
1%ing on you *****es

:10

Greeks are the most annoying douches on campus and hated by 80% of the general population.

"Originally posted by Kellster: Crow takes so good. Om nom nom."

Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Texas über alles.
BenderBR is offline   Reply With Quote