qu1cks1lver56 supports Team VICIOUS
qu1cks1lver56 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
qu1cks1lver56 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
That thing is sexy.
hi
Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 AM #1766
Worr, the wee tot. (Banned)
WTF am I reading?!

Dodged a bullet last night. My brother had friends over and wanted to borrow my gear to practice at another house, I said no and looked like a huge douchebag. So they borrowed the Line 6 iv head + quad cab owned by another of my brother's friends and seriously ****ed it up transporting. Put it in the back of a pickup, lost a foot so the cab wobbles, put a hole in the cloth, and probably dropped it because the head has a dent that goes in about half an inch. It's all scuffed up, but that's just light cosmetic damage.

"eh, he said it was ok to borrow"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
I really don't dig this Egnator much. It's my roommate's and doesn't compare to the Rockerverb 50 I had. I do want to pick up a Tiny Terror or a Micro Terror in the near future though.

The other route would be getting the tubes replaced on the Fender and getting a good fuzz or overdrive to shape my tone.
Spend a good bit of time on them in "private." I keep thinking I'm going to buy one (or a mini rec), then go back over to GC in the acoustic/quiet room and think twice. I know you're an Orange guy and know much more about your sound than I do, but I feel the tone of those Oranges is of lesser quality, particularly the Micro. IMO the Micro is on the same tier as every other practice amp apart from the fact that you still need a speaker or good headphones to appreciate the sound.

I think the Tiny would be a great deal if it had more range. The natural crunch is nice without using any outside effects, great growly breakup and all that. But $600 + pedals puts you into more expensive amp territory, and I'd at very least need a green rhino or phaser or something to help with bass/treb adjustment. It's pretty much either like the tone or don't, they have a particular sound and the limited tone/gain controls leave you with very little room to play around without extra help.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 AM #1767
Ultiplaya11
ASMC Elite

Annual Supporting Member
Ultiplaya11 donated to help Peyton Trent
Ultiplaya11 supports Team VICIOUS
Ultiplaya11 has achieved Level 7 in PbNation Pursuit
Ultiplaya11 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Ultiplaya11 is Immortal
Get a Dark Terror and a Rockoverb

OLD Feedback

VICIOUS DSS Paintball
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 AM #1768
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Yeah... Fixing the Fender is probably the best way to go. $100 for tubes and install + $300 for pedals should do the trick.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 09-25-2012, 07:17 PM #1769
Decption-Clay
Oldballs Clay

The goals for one day when I can afford to actually get back into music would be:

An Orange Rockerverb combo or Vox AC30CC, and a G&L ASAT 2H semi hollow.

I've built that ASAT in my mind 15 times.. trans green with a black burst around the sides, back to match, chrome hardware, flame maple with a white pick guard and white binding. Duncan SH5b and SH2n with either their flat mount bridge or a Bigsby..

I want that more than any ESP.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:19 PM #1770
obsesedwithpb_15

obsesedwithpb_15 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
obsesedwithpb_15 supports Team VICIOUS
obsesedwithpb_15 is for the Gunfight
I think im gona get rid of my Peavey and get an Orange amp. I love their tone ahhhh
Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 PM #1771
shakeyjonez
In GOD We Trust!

What kind of Peavey?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:50 PM #1772
obsesedwithpb_15

obsesedwithpb_15 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
obsesedwithpb_15 supports Team VICIOUS
obsesedwithpb_15 is for the Gunfight
Its a Peavey Classic 30. Actually has a decent clean channel and the overdrive channel isnt terrible but overall the amp has a hollow sort of sound. I'ts loud as hell for 30 watts and has a boost button for added mids but it still comes up short in my opinion. Hard to explain but im looking for a warmer overdrive.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 PM #1773
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

I'm beginning to not give a **** about an amp. I want an Orange but I've been playing this dirty old Peavy for the past month or two and I'm starting to realize I can get my tone the same as pretty much anything else I play.

I think once you have a pretty good board you can sound good through just about anything. That or my board colors my sound so much that I can't tell the difference. Regardless, I'm happy with the sound I can get away with on cheap, ****ty gear.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

XBL - xStonedCrow
Old 09-25-2012, 11:53 PM #1774
shakeyjonez
In GOD We Trust!

I'd say 80% of your tone comes from your fingers anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsesedwithpb_15 View Post
Its a Peavey Classic 30. Actually has a decent clean channel and the overdrive channel isnt terrible but overall the amp has a hollow sort of sound. I'ts loud as hell for 30 watts and has a boost button for added mids but it still comes up short in my opinion. Hard to explain but im looking for a warmer overdrive.
I've had one before. I understand what you are saying about the OD. I never turned the OD channel gain up passed 3-3 1/2. Anything passed that the diode clipping (fizz) became noticeable and I didn't care for the sound once it kicked in. It's okay sounding but for higher gain I prefer my 6505/5150 which has a all tube gain section. You can always swap the output transformer for a nice Heyboer or Mercury Magnetics and do a diode bypass mod for a more organic tone. There are a few caps you can replace also that will fatten and tighten things up too. The Peaveys have adequate iron, it's just not the best sounding. But for the price who can complain?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 PM #1775
Sunshine86
Equality 7-2521

I need to look into a new set of fingers.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 AM #1776
Ultiplaya11
ASMC Elite

Annual Supporting Member
Ultiplaya11 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine86 View Post
I need to look into a new set of fingers.
Same.
For some reason, I just can't get a tone I'm fully happy with. My fingers suck.
Though, an exercise I learned from Mraktakular has really been improving my consistency, speed, and accuracy lately.

On the High E and B strings, strict alternate picking. The goal is not to play as fast as you can, but to play at a comfortable speed for 5 minutes so there is no gap between notes at all. It helps the relation between your right and left hands.
E - 8-7-5-7-8- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 7-8-10-8-7-12-10-8-10-12- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 7-8-10-8-7
B - - - - - - - 5-7-8-7-5-10-8-7-8-10 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 8-10-12-10-8-10-8-7-8-10

OLD Feedback

VICIOUS DSS Paintball
Old 09-26-2012, 04:39 PM #1777
WTF am I reading?!

Dat aeolian. Nice exercise, I like the slides from 5-10 on b and 7-12 on the e.... at least that's how I'm playing it, sounds good. I've never understood how people like Malmsteen can play stretchy scales and string skips without using their pinky. I play so much faster and cleaner...my pinky is probably stronger than my ring.

I like this exercise because it's a very classical sound, pinky and index finger all the way. All alternate picking, easier to start with an upstroke for inside/outside picking. This sounds so good in 16th notes, I can't keep the consistency yet though.
e - -12-12-12 - - - - - - 12-12-12 - - - - - -
b - - -16-16- - - - - - - - 16-16 - - - - - - -
g - - - - - - - 16-13-16 - - - - - - 16-13-16 etc
Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 PM #1778
Treghc

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyjonez View Post
I'd say 80% of your tone comes from your fingers anyways.
WAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAY wrong.

The VAST majority of tone comes from the amp. This whole "finger" thing is a giant misconception. Yes, the way you hold the guitar and the strings plays a role, but it's rather minute. Playing through an Orange is going to sound like playing through an Orange, no matter who plays through it. Same goes for a Mesa, or a Marshall, or a Peavey, or a Vox, or a Fender...

Clean tones will show a greater differentiate of tonality between individual players, of course, but from SRV, to Hendrix, to Mayer, it's rather easy to tell when they're playing through a Fender (given there's little to no pedals being used).

The greatest majority of tone comes from the amp. Next is a close tie between the cab/speaker setup and the pickups you're using. After that is the more minute details such as your attack, how you finger the strings, and the materials used in the guitar.

It doesn't matter how hard you try. Simply changing your fingering style will NEVER get one amp to sound like another. So, to say that 80% of your tone comes from your fingers is just not accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultiplaya11 View Post
Same.
For some reason, I just can't get a tone I'm fully happy with. My fingers suck
That means you need a different signal being output; a different amp or configuration of it via tone shaping through your Axe-FX or some pedals.

A power chord is a power chord and there are only so many ways to play it. The beefiness comes from good tonal shaping via your signal path.

If you put five people to play through five amps, playing only a D power chord for all of them, you'll find very little (if any) differentiation between their tones when they play through the same amp with the same settings. Switch the amp or the settings, you've suddenly got a different tone.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 09-26-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 PM #1779
Ultiplaya11
ASMC Elite

Annual Supporting Member
Ultiplaya11 is Immortal
Worr, I'm practicing that exercise..It's kind of weird though. I don't get how it sounds classical either lol

OLD Feedback

VICIOUS DSS Paintball
Old 09-26-2012, 05:26 PM #1780
WTF am I reading?!

I saw it on youtube somewhere a while ago, it was probably one of those paul gilbert videos where he covers piano/harpsichord pieces. In context it was very cool.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's actually part of a solo I was having trouble with, not really an exercise >.< Trying to find the song it's in, it's definitely on youtube somewhere.

Last edited by Worr, the wee tot. : 09-26-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:52 PM #1781
shakeyjonez
In GOD We Trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
WAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAY wrong.

The VAST majority of tone comes from the amp. This whole "finger" thing is a giant misconception. Yes, the way you hold the guitar and the strings plays a role, but it's rather minute. Playing through an Orange is going to sound like playing through an Orange, no matter who plays through it. Same goes for a Mesa, or a Marshall, or a Peavey, or a Vox, or a Fender...

Clean tones will show a greater differentiate of tonality between individual players, of course, but from SRV, to Hendrix, to Mayer, it's rather easy to tell when they're playing through a Fender (given there's little to no pedals being used).

The greatest majority of tone comes from the amp. Next is a close tie between the cab/speaker setup and the pickups you're using. After that is the more minute details such as your attack, how you finger the strings, and the materials used in the guitar.

It doesn't matter how hard you try. Simply changing your fingering style will NEVER get one amp to sound like another. So, to say that 80% of your tone comes from your fingers is just not accurate.

That means you need a different signal being output; a different amp or configuration of it via tone shaping through your Axe-FX or some pedals.

A power chord is a power chord and there are only so many ways to play it. The beefiness comes from good tonal shaping via your signal path.

If you put five people to play through five amps, playing only a D power chord for all of them, you'll find very little (if any) differentiation between their tones when they play through the same amp with the same settings. Switch the amp or the settings, you've suddenly got a different tone.
Musicians don't spend years learning how to turn the knobs on there gear. They spend the majority of their time practicing. That is unless they are some gifted virtuoso blessed with some off the chain God given talent. Tell me, what good is a $2000 handwired tube amp with mercury magnetics iron, if you don't have the necessary skills to take advantage of the enhanced dynamics of the design? Equipment is always secondary to technique. Equipment can enhance the sound but without proper technique and skill, even the most expensive gear in the world can sound like crap. Don't believe me? Put a noob in a music store on your Rockerverb and see how good he sounds. Sure he'll look cool standing in front of it but looks won't stop your ears from bleeding. With the right technique, even a cheap beginner instrument can sound decent. If you put Hendrix on a first act guitar from Wal-Mart he's still gonna sound like Hendrix.

"Love those who hurt you the most, because they are probably the ones closest to you.” ― Nikki Sixx
Old 09-26-2012, 06:59 PM #1782
mynameisgeorgel

Quote:
Musicians don't spend years learning how to turn the knobs on there gear. They spend the majority of their time practicing. That is unless they are some gifted virtuoso blessed with some off the chain God given talent. Tell me, what good is a $2000 handwired tube amp with mercury magnetics iron, if you don't have the necessary skills to take advantage of the enhanced dynamics of the design? Equipment is always secondary to technique. Equipment can enhance the sound but without proper technique and skill, even the most expensive gear in the world can sound like crap. Don't believe me? Put a noob in a music store on your Rockerverb and see how good he sounds. Sure he'll look cool standing in front of it but looks won't stop your ears from bleeding. With the right technique, even a cheap beginner instrument can sound decent. If you put Hendrix on a first act guitar from Wal-Mart he's still gonna sound like Hendrix.
Yea but put hendrix on that rockerverb and tell me its not a better tone.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 PM #1783
shakeyjonez
In GOD We Trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisgeorgel View Post
Yea but put hendrix on that rockerverb and tell me its not a better tone.
I'm not arguing that some amps sound better than others. I completely agree. But let Hendrix stop moving his fingers and then see how good that Rockerverb sounds.

No fingers no tone.

If I miss practice for a couple weeks, it won't matter what amp I play through. I'm not going to sound as good as if I'd stuck with it. No NOS Genelec Gold Lion tubes or Mustard Caps etc. will make any difference. No not even those sweet carbon comp resistors lol.

"Love those who hurt you the most, because they are probably the ones closest to you.” ― Nikki Sixx
Old 09-28-2012, 12:18 AM #1784
Sunshine86
Equality 7-2521

I was just looking at my Mustang's neck and noticed it has the same style round-lam fretboard that Fender is making a big deal about with the new AVRI's. I doubt it makes much difference but I thought it was kind of neat.

It's a really nice cut of Indian Rosewood as well—softer than most I've played.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:19 AM #1785
Treghc

Quote:
Technical ability =/= tone.

Tone is a physical property of sound shaped through sound waveforms created by the electronic pathway. The difference between playing like an all-star and a constant ****up has little to do with tone; it has to do with sounding good because you don't **** up what you're playing. Tone is shaped partially by your attack, the materials of the guitar, the strings you use and how hard you press on them.

Put a noob in a store on a Rockerverb and it'll sound like a Rockerverb. His playing will just suck. Still sounds like a Rockerverb though.

I'm beginning to wonder what you define as tone now... Technical ability has next to nothing to do with tone. What you're describing is simply what sounds good to you, which is a culmination of tone and writing/playing ability (the strongest emphasis on ability).

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Closed Thread