PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:18 PM #757
MrsAndo

like if I was like, "bro derek jeter sort of sucks"

and you were like "NO WAY BRO HOW CAN HE SUCK HE'S LIKE TOTALLY BETTER THAN YUNIESKY BETANCOURT"

that would be a dumb thing to say

guitar players

are dumb people

it has to be said
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2011, 05:21 PM #758
Ultiplaya11
ASMC Elite

Ultiplaya11 donated to help Peyton Trent
Ultiplaya11 supports Team VICIOUS
Ultiplaya11 has achieved Level 7 in PbNation Pursuit
Ultiplaya11 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Ultiplaya11 is Immortal
Have you guys ever heard of Strandberg guitars? They're gorgeous..fully custom to user specs. I'd kill for one of these

OLD Feedback

VICIOUS DSS Paintball
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 PM #759
Sunrise
shiiiii

just looking at the last two pages and this is all nonsense. that girl blows. tapping is not hard, her strumming is out of time, and it looks like her first time strumming.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM #760
komodo-117
Who pooped on this pizza?

Video is also clearly sped up.

And those guitars are ****ing ugly.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 PM #761
Ultiplaya11
ASMC Elite

Ultiplaya11 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise View Post
just looking at the last two pages and this is all nonsense. that girl blows. tapping is not hard, her strumming is out of time, and it looks like her first time strumming.
Id love to see you cover that song then, or any animals as leaders song for that matter.

OLD Feedback

VICIOUS DSS Paintball
Old 10-04-2011, 03:23 PM #762
andyengland

andyengland supports Team VICIOUS
andyengland supports Bob Gurnsey
haters are right, tapping is a circus trick. that kind of music doesn't really betray any musical or technical talent or sensibility. id like to see if she could play one note with a beautiful tone on a real, acoustic instrument. i held a band tryout at my school recently and one of the attendees shows up and all he can do is that goofy metal tapping. sounds pretty tight, just like that, but he's got no clue about keys, their relative relationships, or how to play any kind of chord or in any specific keys under any specific stylistic structure.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:41 PM #763
MrsAndo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultiplaya11 View Post
Id love to see you cover that song then, or any animals as leaders song for that matter.
ill do it as soon as you find me an animals as leaders song that isnt ****
Old 10-04-2011, 03:42 PM #764
MrsAndo

look man, watch this

now that's some pretty physically impressive stuff going on there

that doesn't really have to do a whole lot with being a great soccer player all things considered

do you get the analogy here
Old 10-04-2011, 05:04 PM #765
Worr, the wee tot. (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyengland View Post
haters are right, tapping is a circus trick. that kind of music doesn't really betray any musical or technical talent or sensibility. id like to see if she could play one note with a beautiful tone on a real, acoustic instrument. i held a band tryout at my school recently and one of the attendees shows up and all he can do is that goofy metal tapping. sounds pretty tight, just like that, but he's got no clue about keys, their relative relationships, or how to play any kind of chord or in any specific keys under any specific stylistic structure.
You realize that tapping and sweeping require some understanding of scales and arpeggios, right? On that "note," many great musicians have little understanding of music theory - Billy Sheehan is a great example.

Bad troll is bad.

Last edited by Worr, the wee tot. : 10-04-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:47 PM #766
Ultiplaya11
ASMC Elite

Ultiplaya11 is Immortal
Good music is subjective. Just because she may not know keys doesn't mean she is a bad guitarist. You don't like AAL, that's your preference. Tosin actually knows a ****ton of theory and their music is structured very well.
Look at Periphery. None of them know anything about theory yet their music is incredible. If you want to listen to music only because the person knows they're playing this note in this key for whatever reason, then do it. Doesn't make others bad because they don't know the theory behind it.

OLD Feedback

VICIOUS DSS Paintball
Old 10-04-2011, 06:36 PM #767
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
lol

Theory = better playing.

And lol AAL doesn't have good music. Everyone I hear that thinks they suck also thinks they're just a metal band and hasn't heard anything else on their album which consists of two heavy songs.

Music is an expression. It's self-expression, just as any art is and, therefore, is entirely subjective. Saying music sucks is valid for yourself, but you look like a fool stating such because there's nothing to measure for it. What evidence validates the music as being below-par in this universe? Not just for you, but for everyone else in the world as well (for, if it doesn't suck for them too, than you can't truly state that it sucks).

Tosin is a better guitar player and writer than anyone else on these forums. How is that valid? He makes more money than all of us combined through his music. Say he sucks all you want. He's better than you

The girl, on the other hand, was impressive because I haven't seen many guitarists be able to cover an AAL song. I'll have to watch it again, but it didn't look sped up to me.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 10-04-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 PM #768
Ultiplaya11
ASMC Elite

Ultiplaya11 is Immortal
Its not sped up lol, they're just mad because they aren't as good as an 18 year old girl. I'm not as good as her, ill say it, I'm not going to down her because her skill makes me look bad. I haven't seen any of you guys trolling posting any videos of your playing. You lose, good day sir.(not you treghc, I believe were on the same pag)

OLD Feedback

VICIOUS DSS Paintball
Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 PM #769
Worr, the wee tot. (Banned)

Back to music. These cats are pretty cool, but I'm pretty sure they overdub some of the tracks...
Old 10-04-2011, 11:21 PM #770
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
lol

Theory = better playing.

And lol AAL doesn't have good music. Everyone I hear that thinks they suck also thinks they're just a metal band and hasn't heard anything else on their album which consists of two heavy songs.

Music is an expression. It's self-expression, just as any art is and, therefore, is entirely subjective. Saying music sucks is valid for yourself, but you look like a fool stating such because there's nothing to measure for it. What evidence validates the music as being below-par in this universe? Not just for you, but for everyone else in the world as well (for, if it doesn't suck for them too, than you can't truly state that it sucks).

Tosin is a better guitar player and writer than anyone else on these forums. How is that valid? He makes more money than all of us combined through his music. Say he sucks all you want. He's better than you

The girl, on the other hand, was impressive because I haven't seen many guitarists be able to cover an AAL song. I'll have to watch it again, but it didn't look sped up to me.
Not to be a dick but with that logic Tom Delonge is one of the best guitarists in the world too. It's kind of hypocritical to say that you can't validate musical taste and then go on to provide very vague evidence validating someone's music...
From a great height
From a great height... height...
Rain down, rain down

http://www.bestpanamacitybeachcondo.com
Old 10-04-2011, 11:40 PM #771
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights

Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
Burninator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
lol

Theory = better playing.

I dont think i can really agree with that.

while being knowledgeable in theory doesnt make you a better player, practice does. However, a deep understanding of the theory that underlies the music can greatly change what you write into something more deep and meaningful that has better flow and better transitions. Just because someone without the theory background can make a great song doesnt mean they understand why they made a great song or that they were able to do it quickly. Someone with a better understanding of music could have probably made the song faster simply by knowing what will flow and not having to pound out a song by slowly making things fit.

I also dont agree that someone who makes money while playing is better than someone who does it for free. Not only do i find this to be false because of the simple fact that being famous is more about having the right connections or being in the right place at the right time. You also have to take into consideration that number of people who have no interest in playing an instrument for a living and are content to be masterful at what they do while making a living doing something else. The fact that you make money does not make you better and shouldnt even be considered when talking about how good someone is.

The idea of someone being good i think goes back to my first point about theory. A good musician, much like a good scientist, can make a good product. Knowing how that product works at the basic levels and why it works is what makes you a great musician. Having to pound out a song and pushing things together to make them work without understanding why makes you a tinkerer.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:44 PM #772
Ultiplaya11
ASMC Elite

Ultiplaya11 is Immortal
Eh, I evaluate guitarists on phrasing, technical skill, live play, and how their things sound. Tosin is an incredible guitarist in every one of these aspects.

Like it's been said, it's very subjective. I wouldn't go off of how much money someone makes to put them as a good guitarist. In Tom Delonges case, his band is what makes him his money, not his individual guitar playing.
In something like AAL, since it is all instrumental, very progressive music, I would say his guitar playing speaks for him.

OLD Feedback

VICIOUS DSS Paintball
Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 AM #773
MrsAndo

Quote:
The girl, on the other hand, was impressive because I haven't seen many guitarists be able to cover an AAL song.
I havent seen many people be able to grab their dick, start jerking off, and *** all within 10 seconds

that doesnt mean if you can youre good at having sex though
Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 AM #774
Dyeballer610
game in 3.2.wait...ok go

Dyeballer610 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Dyeballer610 supports our troops
Dyeballer610 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Dyeballer610 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Dyeballer610 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Dyeballer610 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
sex
Old 10-05-2011, 12:26 PM #775
Treghc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisjonathon View Post
Not to be a dick but with that logic Tom Delonge is one of the best guitarists in the world too. It's kind of hypocritical to say that you can't validate musical taste and then go on to provide very vague evidence validating someone's music...
Sorry, but Blink 182 doesn't sell music from guitar playing. They sell from producing an image and catering towards a specific crowd with excellent marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I dont think i can really agree with that.

while being knowledgeable in theory doesnt make you a better player, practice does. However, a deep understanding of the theory that underlies the music can greatly change what you write into something more deep and meaningful that has better flow and better transitions. Just because someone without the theory background can make a great song doesnt mean they understand why they made a great song or that they were able to do it quickly. Someone with a better understanding of music could have probably made the song faster simply by knowing what will flow and not having to pound out a song by slowly making things fit.

I also dont agree that someone who makes money while playing is better than someone who does it for free. Not only do i find this to be false because of the simple fact that being famous is more about having the right connections or being in the right place at the right time. You also have to take into consideration that number of people who have no interest in playing an instrument for a living and are content to be masterful at what they do while making a living doing something else. The fact that you make money does not make you better and shouldnt even be considered when talking about how good someone is.

The idea of someone being good i think goes back to my first point about theory. A good musician, much like a good scientist, can make a good product. Knowing how that product works at the basic levels and why it works is what makes you a great musician. Having to pound out a song and pushing things together to make them work without understanding why makes you a tinkerer.
You're misinterpreting my statement. Knowledge of music theory doesn't directly translate to better writing and/or better playing... ever. It can help some individuals write, but when I look at some of my all-time favorite artists, formal knowledge of music theory is completely absent. It can be well argued that there is a fine line between becoming a machine of theory and being able to exploit the many variances of playing styles to break through and develop something new.

If someone is to follow theory through and through, then they're only writing what's already been studied; what's already been done. It's hard to break through that boundary and write something new if you stick to theory in that way. Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmy Page, and others like Omar Rodriguez-Lopez had minimal knowledge of formal music theory and yet you know their names (not so much Omar, although he's had his workings in more of today's music than you would guess).

And I'll completely disagree with the "knowing the right people at the right place at the right time" comment. You make money from producing music that people like and marketing it efficiently. Simple as that. If you're selling shows because people love your music, you succeed in the industry. It doesn't take knowing the right people; it takes drive, knowledge, and good writing.

So, to drive my point further, Tosin has done exactly what I've described. He's broken in to the industry with great success, writing something that caters to a broad range of followers while still progressing to a new sound. The dude programs the drum tracks, writes and plays the bass lines and writes and plays his guitar tracks as well. How do I know he's better than anyone in this forum? He plays more technically challenging things with a wider variety of sounds and writes music (ALL of it himself) that has a stronger following than anyone in here. Go listen to some interviews of Tosin. The dude knows theory like the back of his hand. To say his music sucks is a rather childish remark to make. Because, obviously, he doesn't. I mean, the guy plays instrumental music only. No tween lyrics to catch high school girls. No Matthew Belamy vocals that find one specific niche and never alter from that ever again. Go listen to a few tracks from his album. You'll see how eclectic his influences and writing styles are.

Like I said, music is art and art is subjective. The only we have to measure for anything is how well you do in the industry. If your music is strong enough, little else is needed to get your foot through the door.

You may call some song-writing "tinkering," but unfortunately for you, a great number of the world's best-selling and most influential musicians were "tinkerers." There's something entirely visceral about artists who don't care about rules nor try to stick to current understandings.

---

Nice Schecter, dyeballer

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 10-05-2011, 12:42 PM #776
komodo-117
Who pooped on this pizza?

You're all ******s. Pedals are what make you good.

Next acquirement:

Old 10-05-2011, 01:58 PM #777
Treghc

It's the pick. The pick is what makes a great musician. Whether he/she plays a stringed instrument or not.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Closed Thread