Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-26-2010, 02:26 AM #1
r1ckyb

Can a bad inner tie rod cause this?

Car drives fine with no noises or anything til I hit about 30-35 mph and up. The steering wheel makes a very very slight vibration but I can hear something in the front end of the car make like a "wobbling" noise.
I've been avoiding the freeway/highways but it's stilll making the noise.
Tires were replaced (front ones) and all 4 were balanced.
I replaced the driver side tie rod end yesterday since it had a **** ton of play (it rocked back and forth (front of vehicle to back) and when the wheel was off the ground it had a lot of play.
Now steering is tighter, still has a little play but not much as before but the car still makes the noise when driving.

This is a 89 toyota celica
r1ckyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2010, 06:33 AM #2
Lucidus
T-rex Rawr

has been a member for 10 years
Jack it back up and shake the front end down to make sure you replaced the correct thing. I see outer tie rods getting replaced by customers and ****bag techs who don't know enough to see that it's the inner tie rods that were bad. I also see very bad ball joints regularly misdiagnosed by those same people as bad tie rods. It happens, a lot. If you don't know what you are looking for it's not the easiest thing to diagnose.

A "wobbling" noise could be a lot of things. You can either keep throwing parts at it, or take it to a professional who will be able to tell you what it is after a short test drive.

Without being able to test drive your car, I would suggest to you that you check to make sure what you are working with is not tire noise, because I do believe you bought used tires? Make sure they are not choppy or distorted in any way. Second, I would put the front end completely in the air, shake side to side for play, and up and down. Watch closely, understand that any play you can see in the air with the suspension unloaded is a LOT of play and is a serious issue that needs to be repaired. Third, I would grab ahold of a strut or control arm, and spin each individual wheel. It sounds like you may possibly have a bad wheel bearing. If you do, you will be able to feel it rumble through the chassis if you are holding it.

And finally, go get an alignment. You counting the threads on your outer tie rod when you replaced it was not near good enough, and you are going to ruin your new front tires without one.
Lucidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 AM #3
kevin1234

kevin1234 is a Supporting Member
Or you can have a legit shop look over the car for about $20 and tell you exactly what it needs instead of throwing money at it and hoping the problem goes away.
+15/-0
Ebay Feedback
kevin1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 AM #4
ForgottenSoup
NO CHICKEN IN THIS SOUP

20 dollars? Not around here, buddy.

I ain't got no mo' fun cars
ForgottenSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 PM #5
vertframeimp
now in full color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1234 View Post
Or you can have a legit shop look over the car for about $20 and tell you exactly what it needs instead of throwing money at it and hoping the problem goes away.
Leave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgottenSoup View Post
20 dollars? Not around here, buddy.
Not around anywhere that uses American dollars.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:42 PM #6
Kenny_McCormick

You will be lucky to get a tech who moonlights to go over a car for $20 in his driveway, let alone at a shop.
Narrator: [Talking slowly] And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.
Kenny_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:42 PM #7
Twenty4/7_Ep3
GangSTA

just do what lucidus said he nailed it. i thought my tie rod was going out but it was my upper ball joint. did the ole shake the **** out of the wheel and see what moves lol.
1992 Civic Street
Twenty4/7_Ep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:40 PM #8
Lucidus
T-rex Rawr

The shop I work for, as well as tons of other shops out there will diagnose a problem free off charge.

Here's the kicker, and I'm speaking from a personal stand point. If you come in for free diagnostics on something like this, understand that the repair is going to be several hundred dollars at the shop all said and done. We get paid list price for the parts, most shops are $90+ and hour, and you need an alignment after most chassis work at a good shop.

That being said, if you don't have any money, or you have no intention of letting the shop fix it for a fair price, do not waste their time with free diagnostics. You are a mooching dirtbag if you go there solely with the intention of finding out what is wrong with your car because you don't know enough, and then just replacing what they have diagnosed. I, as well as many other techs will purposefully incorrectly diagnose your car if it becomes obvious that those are your intentions.

Like I said, with the exception of electrical and fault code diagnostics, most all diagnostics I do are free, and I have no problem doing that for people who are genuinely interested in getting their car fixed.
Lucidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:27 AM #9
r1ckyb

Went to a rim repair shop to get the rims checked for free.
Front two were bent (lateral bent, non-repairable) back two were fine.
Said **** it, took stock rims (not actually stock but ones that came with the car, kinda cool little old school mesh's but their 13's) got all new tires for $170 installed, balanced.
Oh well took a loss, but I plan on getting a newer car in a few months anyways, just need my little celica to last til then, I do like the gas mileage of this thing, and I don't drive it very slow, it's not fast by any means but it's light and has just enough power.

Thanks who all replied. Getting new shocks this week, replacing other tie rod end and both inner's then it should be good for a while.
r1ckyb is offline   Reply With Quote