PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-02-2014, 08:12 PM #1
fenskedeathcore9
Jersey Militia Player

fenskedeathcore9 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Dive tips... worried about my tank.

Hi, I was just asking about diving because, while I do it all the time, I'm not sure if its done right. I do the palms up, and the knees are hovering above the ground to get the distance, but my question is about the tank. I angle my marker about 10 degrees up so I don't take a core sample, and it seems that my tank grazes the floor, not enough to mess up my reg or anything, but can this impact affect my tank over time, even if it is just a small impact? And is it right that my tank hit the floor lightly every time, and slides on the turf? And does my tank cover (exalt rubber one) cover the slide/fall for the most part? Any advice/response appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2014, 02:24 AM #2
K3wlerHD

K3wlerHD owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
The exalt tank cover will definitely take the impact. I wouldn't worry about it.

LOOKING FOR A TEAM?! NOW IS YOUR CHANCE!

MY FEEDBACK ON EBAY!!
K3wlerHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:59 PM #3
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
depends on how hard you are hitting the floor and how often. what is under the turf? concrete? assuming you play at hardcore in jersey? most tanks are gonna take a small beating when sliding into snake, but the ground will give a lil and absorb some of the impact. when you bounce it off concrete, the tank will take the full force of the blow. an exault grip will help a lil, but only it the impact point is on the grip. most tank covers i've seen lately dont have a whole lot of padding per se. my old redz cover has a padded bottom and pads on the sides to help with this.

overall, your tank will be ok. but it will break down the gel coat quicker than normal. ninja warranties the gel coat and will fix for free. i think empire does too. others may, but you'd have to check

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:46 AM #4
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I agree with liquidfiretibby, it depends on your impact force and what tank you have.
They're ridiculously strong, the CF wrapping can withstand like 17,000 psi or something nuts like that before bursting (obviously 4500 is more reasonable, but you never know...) and the regulators are machined aluminum or steel, so they're not going to bend unless you land fully on it just right.
If you've got a tank cover, that's designed to absorb it.

I'd be more worried about your ASA and gripframe taking the wear, actually. Over time you can warp a frame or strip and bend an ASA. I see from your badges that you have/had a Geo? PE gripframes are notorious for bending catastrophically in order to save your wrists during a nasty core sample, but it's possible they could bend prematurely and leave your gun unusable until you replace it.
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:17 AM #5
Lil_kellkell661

When I dive I tuck my tank twards the pit of my shoulder then drop my shoulder and hip and fully extend my arm I almost never have my tank hit the ground if you can practice this gear up and practice your dive set a marker to when to start your dive and keep going at it
Lil_kellkell661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:06 PM #6
Oldschool999

You should try and be looking down field or shooting downfield as much as possible, so if you happen to run and gun, try "laying down" rather then jumping forward. Your sprinting momentum should carry you to slide on the ground, and your heavily padded areas (knees & Elbows) will take most of the impact.

I typically lean into my sprint enough that my legs are the first to hit the ground, and my arm or arms only have to catch the weight of my gun and my large head lol
Oldschool999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:00 AM #7
simonbarsinistr
NW paintball=DBS!

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
simonbarsinistr plays in the APPA D3 division
simonbarsinistr is Legendary
A severely hard impact can snap tank threads, as witnessed in the champions division in PSP a couple events ago. But that's an extreme, normal impact will be handled well by the exalt cover.
simonbarsinistr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 AM #8
fenskedeathcore9
Jersey Militia Player

fenskedeathcore9 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Yes, I'm worried about snapping the tank threads. I barely hit the ground hard with my tank, but I was unsure of what kind of impact it could take; and I no longer shoot a Geo, I have a DM14 now.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:44 AM #9
simonbarsinistr
NW paintball=DBS!

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
simonbarsinistr plays in the APPA D3 division
simonbarsinistr is Legendary
That takes a pretty severe hit to do.
simonbarsinistr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 PM #10
HazMat725
Cin Sanity Paintball

HazMat725 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
HazMat725 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
HazMat725 supports Empire
Carbon Fiber is pretty hard to deform. You would have to really put some force on your tank to puncture it. Your ASA is going to snap off way before your tank gets punctured.

---------------------------------------------------------
HazMat725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:32 PM #11
VSportsGuy

VSportsGuy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
VSportsGuy has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
VSportsGuy supports DLX Technology
Tank first into the ground. That thing is strong. If the ground is soft enough to dive on, it's soft enough to go tank first on.

Also, dive elbows first, not knees first. I've seen a lot of ugly slides because someone dove knees first.
VSportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:38 PM #12
Ryn_Droma

Ryn_Droma is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post

I'd be more worried about your ASA and gripframe taking the wear, actually. Over time you can warp a frame or strip and bend an ASA. I see from your badges that you have/had a Geo? PE gripframes are notorious for bending catastrophically in order to save your wrists during a nasty core sample, but it's possible they could bend prematurely and leave your gun unusable until you replace it.
Noah
this is what I would be worried about. Seen it happen on an older Ego. Not to bash PE, it's probably just as likely on any high end to fail at the ASA
Ryn_Droma is offline   Reply With Quote