Community Focus

Old 10-12-2010, 03:53 PM #1
rocksteady-nyc
Reservoir Dogs

rocksteady-nyc is playing at Living Legends V
rocksteady-nyc has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
rocksteady-nyc supports DLX Technology
Exclamation DP REV-I help

Hey i just bought a used rev-i and it came filthy with paint and dirt inside and out. What can i use to clean it and what can i use to lube it up if i dont have marker specific lube.
*Also, is there any problems i should be looking for??

Thanks guys.

Valken * Quickshot * Gog/Luxe * Guerrilla Air * TechT * Xtreme Dreamz * Fog Doc* Deadlywind
Media partners
Help keep Paintball Alive * CatShack Reports
rocksteady-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:56 PM #2
disturbed989
gun whore addict

Annual Supporting Member
disturbed989 is BST Legit
disturbed989 supports Team VICIOUS
disturbed989 supports Bob Gurnsey
disturbed989 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
disturbed989 is Boss
disturbed989 supports DLX Technology
since it is filthy i would just take a damp cloth and just clean everything off then take another cloth to dry it. and if you don't have any dow 33 go out and get some.
Yetipb.com aggressivesports.net
HOW TO SPLASH DYE A SPIRE
This thread is hotter than a 2 peckered billy goat
disturbed989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:11 PM #3
hill160881
fire power my friends

The way i clean a gun to like new condition is to take out the electronics and eyes and give it a bath with hot soapy water

Like this without the abuse

http://www.zakvetter.com/paintball_v...tress_test.mov

Edit: totally dissemble the marker and wash it around in soapy water(NOT THE ELECTRONICS), then rinse it off, then dry and reassemble. Sometimes its the only way to get all the little nooks an crevices. i like my markers to be like new clean.

Last edited by hill160881 : 10-12-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Clarify
hill160881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:32 PM #4
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
i just use paper kleenex tissues to clean my guns. once clean i lube my bolts with a dow33 based lube

i like lurker lube but monkey poo, sleek, dye lube will work fine.. stay away from the DP 40 lube.
MacDev Clone GTi
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:34 PM #5
rocksteady-nyc
Reservoir Dogs

rocksteady-nyc is playing at Living Legends V
rocksteady-nyc has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
rocksteady-nyc supports DLX Technology
where can i get dow 33 besides at proshops or online?

Valken * Quickshot * Gog/Luxe * Guerrilla Air * TechT * Xtreme Dreamz * Fog Doc* Deadlywind
Media partners
Help keep Paintball Alive * CatShack Reports
rocksteady-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:38 PM #6
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
honestly, it would be best to get a paintnall specific lube.

i used dow33 on my g3.. sometimes i would have to relube the bolt due to the lube not staying on it and causing bolt stick half way through the day

my whole team switched to monkey poo and lurker lube.. we dont have to lube every day of play.. we can get lazy and lube the bolts every other day of play (about 3 cases worth, we shoot very little.. dow33 was only lasting a case or so.)

thats just my experience with dow33.
MacDev Clone GTi
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:41 PM #7
hill160881
fire power my friends

A bicycle shop mite carry it or slick honey. It is what they use on the bearings. Its usually way cheaper there to.
hill160881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:58 PM #8
Diab0lus (Banned)

I wouldn't recommend anything but paintball marker specific lube such as the one's mentioned above (dow 33, monkey poo, etc.).
Diab0lus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:27 PM #9
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill160881 View Post
The way i clean a gun to like new condition is to take out the electronics and eyes and give it a bath with hot soapy water. Totally dissemble the marker and wash it around in soapy water(NOT THE ELECTRONICS), then rinse it off, then dry and reassemble. Sometimes its the only way to get all the little nooks an crevices. i like my markers to be like new clean.
This is the way to go... hill160881. I found that a complete disassemble and good washing, complete drying, lube - with a good paintball marker lube such as mentioned (I now use monkey poo, works great with the REV-I), and your back in the game with a clean marker. When you wash, use a soft fabric washcloth, not some sort of plastic scrubber. This will take some time but it gets the job done correctly so don't short cut the process. Good luck.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:35 AM #10
serge53

hell take the electronics out and throw it in the dish washer itl work to.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:50 AM #11
phillysteve

Annual Supporting Member
phillysteve supports DLX Technology
Woah woah woah guys. Do not use dish soap on a paintball marker. The dish soap can remove fine finishing over time. Simply clean it with warm water. You're not going to eat off it.

Dish soap is also horrible for washing your car, it removes the clear coat and wax before you go washing your car with dish soap too. *shakes his head*

Warm water after removing ALL electronics & bolts! Do not leave any o-rings, bolts, or adjustment screws in the marker. Take out anything you would use an allen wrench on. The nuts/bolts/etc will rust!
phillysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 AM #12
specopsdeath2
(ノ_)ノ_

Annual Supporting Member
specopsdeath2 plays in the PSP
specopsdeath2 is an NCPA player
specopsdeath2 plays in the APPA D3 division
specopsdeath2 is Legendary
specopsdeath2 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysteve View Post
Woah woah woah guys. Do not use dish soap on a paintball marker. The dish soap can remove fine finishing over time. Simply clean it with warm water. You're not going to eat off it.

Dish soap is also horrible for washing your car, it removes the clear coat and wax before you go washing your car with dish soap too. *shakes his head*

Warm water after removing ALL electronics & bolts! Do not leave any o-rings, bolts, or adjustment screws in the marker. Take out anything you would use an allen wrench on. The nuts/bolts/etc will rust!
this
University of Hartford PC United
Proud Sponsors:
YetiPB Laysick Ninja
specopsdeath2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:11 PM #13
rottensquad07
Peter Griffin = HERO

has been a member for 10 years
rottensquad07 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
The only screws I do not take out of mine are the air passage way screws. I simply try to blow them out with canned air while the solenoid is off of course. I also have never used dish soap. I hold the marker body with one hand in the sink so it is not laying in the sink and then I use my sprayer on my kitchen sink to spray the body with hot water only. I do this will all screws, electronics, pretty much everything removed except for the air passage way screws. This is not something I do after each say of play either. Maybe once a year at most. If you are just cleaning up after a days play I recommend wiping the marker off with a towel, not cleaning it in this manner.

-Black/black Planet Eclipse Etek 3-
rottensquad07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:47 PM #14
serge53

did i say use dish soap? maybe i shuld have states i just use plain water lol.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 AM #15
rottensquad07
Peter Griffin = HERO

has been a member for 10 years
rottensquad07 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
My advice is to use brake cleaner to clean it

-Black/black Planet Eclipse Etek 3-
rottensquad07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:24 AM #16
Rastven

Quote:
Not true. Dish Soap can't effect the clear coat as clear coat is just paint resin without any colour added. Dish soap can't eat thru paint period. In fact Zaino, which makes some of the best car polishes around, recommends you first wash the car with Dawn before applying any of their products as it strips all waxes etc leaving you with a "clean" clear coat.

A single wash of a paintball marker in warm water and something like Dawn would be fine for the paint finish.
Rastven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:56 AM #17
phillysteve

Annual Supporting Member
phillysteve supports DLX Technology
Not to really change the entire topic of this discussion but dish soap contains abrasives which can and will damage the polymeres of a clear coat and paint job. With that being said the reason it has been recommended in the past to clean a car of wax is because wax is nothing more than grease and dish soap cuts grease. I gaurentee you without a doubt in my mind that dish soap is very harmful to paint finish. Since markers are not covered in wax to protect the paint itself, the use of dish soap will cause oxidation which will over time ruin the paint.

Ontop of this dish soap contains phosphorus and salts that will ruin a paint job as it is not made to be used on paint, it is to be used to clean things you eat off of. lol
phillysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:15 AM #18
Rastven

Quote:
Not to really change the entire topic of this discussion but dish soap contains abrasives which can and will damage the polymeres of a clear coat and paint job. With that being said the reason it has been recommended in the past to clean a car of wax is because wax is nothing more than grease and dish soap cuts grease. I gaurentee you without a doubt in my mind that dish soap is very harmful to paint finish. Since markers are not covered in wax to protect the paint itself, the use of dish soap will cause oxidation which will over time ruin the paint.

Ontop of this dish soap contains phosphorus and salts that will ruin a paint job as it is not made to be used on paint, it is to be used to clean things you eat off of. lol
Obviously no-one would recommend you wash a car with dish soap on a weekly basis. This is an issue of performing a one off cleaning and as such it won't effect the paint finish.
Dish soap is still recommended by most companies that make car detailing products as the initial step in prepping a car to be detailed as it will breakdown waxes etc. The car wash liquids used to clean your car regularly are very gentle so as not to remove the waxes etc.

You stated it would actually remove the clear coat which is patently untrue.

As for being made to clean thing you eat off that makes it generally safer than other cleaning alternatives like brake cleaner which is far harsher and much more toxic.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 PM #19
serge53

use c4 it wont hurt anything.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:15 PM #20
Rastven

I much prefer PTEN or Semtex to C4 when it comes to cleaning items
Old 10-15-2010, 01:33 AM #21
serge53

yeah i know i guess im a lil old school. lol