Community Focus

Old 10-28-2010, 12:11 AM #22
nickgibson87
I smell virgin

nickgibson87 plays in the PSP
nickgibson87 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
nickgibson87 plays in the APPA D4 division
nickgibson87 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ive had to quit playing because a. I just moved back to my hometown fro where i was stationed in san diego bc i eased from the marines and all my old fields i used to play at have closed. and all my friends that i played with have left have kids or lost there jobs alot of them two out of those three.
nickgibson87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2010, 01:23 AM #23
pro_balla70462

has been a member for 10 years
pro_balla70462 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I took time off not because of the slump in the economy but because of the overall attitude of players these days. I have been playing since I was 12, and I am not 24. Over the past 12 years, so much has changed. Guns have gotten cheaper. Guns shoot faster. etc. Like mentioned before, there have been a very large rise in younger players picking up mid-end guns that perform very near higher end guns. They have developed an attitude due to the fact that they can walk on a field and shoot other kids who have never played before running semi auto blowbacks. This has honestly developed a bad reputation for the sport. It got to a point where going to a field to play was like going to high school. What gun you shot, what gear you played in, what equipment you used separated you from other players. 12 year old's ran their mouth, because they had a $500+ marker. It just got where it was ridiculous. The last time I went to a field, I walked all over these kids. Set down my bargain Ego aka Etek, and said you kids have a lot to learn. Stepped away from the sport for over a year and a half. Now, there were some younger guys at church playing rec ball, and they asked if I still had my old sup air field. I said yes, and they wanted to borrow it. Of course, this is all it took for me to jump online and order an Etek3, and other gear. Will it be different? I doubt it. Will I play in the tournament scene anymore? I doubt it. I just want to play and have fun like I used to. This is my experience in the past few years... so you ask yourself... if this is what I see, being in the sport for 12 years... what do the 11 and 12 year old kids see when they are paying their first visit to the field at a birthday party? Why would these kids continue to play? invest their money in our sport? Our sport in which we criticize every inexperienced individual because we have so much pride.
pro_balla70462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 AM #24
Jrob33

^^ good example of why I have taken up woodsball. Sure there is SOME of the same crap...but it's alot fewer and far between.
Jrob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:40 AM #25
pro_balla70462

pro_balla70462 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Yea, I have a few buddies that left the tournament scene and have really gotten into big scenario games... I think I may have to try it out if there is a little less BS. I am going to hit the field Sunday and see what it's like after taking my break...
pro_balla70462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:22 PM #26
d3m0n818
Big Hoss

d3m0n818 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
d3m0n818 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I play every other weekend or so at my local field FOF here in southern cali, lucky for me they have a bit of both worlds, players of all walks of life play there and they have a tourney style airball setup along with a couple recball fields and a hyperball field which are all great. But what I'm trying to say is I can't agree with most of these comments so far.

The paintball world has been steadily growing for years. MAYBE recently it hasn't been growing AS steadily, but regardless, it continues to grow, also in concurrence with what was said about there not only being a tourney paintball scene; recball is very much the backbone of the paintball industry, if we never started somewhere, we would be NOWHERE.

I just took 2 friends of mine who used to ONLY play serious tourneys for their first time FOF and both of them fell in love with the recball scene and games and now plan on playing as often as myself.

Proud Owner of a CCM S6
d3m0n818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:24 PM #27
PAPA_SMURF1

Economy, Plain and simple.
PAPA_SMURF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 PM #28
pronking
2nd Chance Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
pronking is a Supporting Member
pronking supports our troops
pronking is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
pronking is Boss
pronking is Immortal
for every arrogant bonus balling a-hole in a rec setting there has to be 10 decent guys who will stop and help put a tippmman back together or show a new kid why his podpack is updside down or how to shoot and aim by judging your last shot.

For every jerk with a machine gun you have to have 10x more people willing to lend a hand and help the sport grow otherwise the negative players will run out of "nubs to pwn" or "muppets to mow" or whatever the tern you choose for general douche-baggery that takes place on the average walk on field...

This sport started killing itself when kids stoped learning the basics first with a crap setup and working their way up to something on level with how they played.
Any "sport" where you can(or think you can) throw money at it and be the best will always fail, so will the people and teams who operate under that philosophy....(ie Yankees sorry had to put that out there)

PK

Coach-
Fresno State Bulldogs NCPA - A Division Xball
pronking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:18 PM #29
GodLikePlayer

Having been playing for many years now i have seen paintball change .
What i think is occuring is paintball has definatly become cheaper i remember playing tourneys and paying over $150 a case and i am earning more money now and paying $25 to $35 a case.
what is happening is that we are not getting value for money anymore for instance , Average game times are like 90 secs and game fields are so small you can shoot people off the break and you have to hold down lanes so you use a lot of paint but dont get any real value in time actualy playing.
This is putting a lot of the older guys who used to play tournies off as its now considered a young persons sport as its so fast unfortunatly the ones that have money to play are mostly the older guys who the sport is pushing away .
what this sport needs is to get new people playing and people that used to play back again and i am sorry as long as average game time is somthing like 90 secs i wont be driving 3 hours to an event and over the day to play somthing like 15 mins of paintball.
Just my thoughts as i think this is an issue people are overlooking.
GodLikePlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:52 PM #30
xballz23
Austin, TX Baller

xballz23 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronking View Post
for every arrogant bonus balling a-hole in a rec setting there has to be 10 decent guys who will stop and help put a tippmman back together or show a new kid why his podpack is updside down or how to shoot and aim by judging your last shot.

For every jerk with a machine gun you have to have 10x more people willing to lend a hand and help the sport grow otherwise the negative players will run out of "nubs to pwn" or "muppets to mow" or whatever the tern you choose for general douche-baggery that takes place on the average walk on field...

This sport started killing itself when kids stoped learning the basics first with a crap setup and working their way up to something on level with how they played.
Any "sport" where you can(or think you can) throw money at it and be the best will always fail, so will the people and teams who operate under that philosophy....(ie Yankees sorry had to put that out there)

PK
I completely agree with you on the "crap setup" comment. I have been playing for over 5 years now and started out with a very old and cheap piranha. Now I'm barely getting an Ego 9 and really appreciate the sport as a whole. I'm tired of these 14 year old kids coming to the field with Ego 10's and think they own the place. Most of these kids have been playing for less than a year and have no concept for what paintball is all about. You gotta help your fellow players progress and this is how you will help the sport grow.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3971438

Last edited by xballz23 : 11-15-2010 at 10:52 PM.
xballz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:29 PM #31
ballin v6
HKanada

i hear you man ^

it took me 5 years to get my first high end ( DM6 )

this made me appreciate paintball/ equipment alot more.

i play tournements in the CXBl and practice every weekend.
ballin v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:45 PM #32
xballz23
Austin, TX Baller

xballz23 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballin v6 View Post
i hear you man ^

it took me 5 years to get my first high end ( DM6 )

this made me appreciate paintball/ equipment alot more.

i play tournements in the CXBl and practice every weekend.
It just drives me up the wall because a lot of these kids are selfish little pricks.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3971438
xballz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:49 PM #33
ballin v6
HKanada

exactly^
Old 11-21-2010, 08:14 PM #34
ClarkeRich

My local field owner/uncle sayed paintball is on the rise again.

Althogh, Kids are starting out with high end guns and they expect "veteran" players to fix them. I hate that!!!
ClarkeRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:46 PM #35
LatinAssassin

I started playing paintball 15 years ago, the first marker i ever held in my hand was a rental stingray, i though it was the cats a!!. After my first game i was hooked and saved my money to buy my first marker, a kingman spyder, i decked that thing out with a wooden smart parts 45 trigger handle, stainless steel dye barrel, remote system, a new ANS bolt, and valve. i knew the ins and outs about my gun, i had a bunch of the older guys help me when it came to understanding and fixing the marker. kids now a days think that if it doesnt fire or chops paint the gun is broken, let me tell you i have bought repaired (from the kids at the field) Angels, Egos, E-blades, and Dye's and repaired them and turned them back into 100 MPH machines, but the sad thing is the parents are buying these kids $500+ markers without thinking, or these kids have money to burn because i get last years models. Paintball does need to change because it the sport seems to be slowing down in the state of michigan, i no longer play tourney ball, tourney ball has put a sour taste in my mouth, i don't have doing it anymore and putting up with smart mouthed kids, i don't ever remember disrespecting an older player at the age of 12 and trowing a fit because Ref caught you whipping. well now a days some of us older guys are heading back to our own field, we have come up with one rule semi only, no matter what type of gun you have, even in semi some guns are still faster then others but at least we can have a level playing field, and only skill will prevail instead of accuaracy by volume. let me tell you guys, i own the field and don't charge anything, but thats not the point, i have gotten more and more people to show up, friends of friends, and people that i have never met, the reason they come out is because of the semi-auto only rule. people with tippmans, spyders, cockers, angels, egos, mags, etc. can now go head to head without worrying about being over run by a hail storm of paint, we occaisionally do have someone being out matched, remember it is semi only but there is only so much we can do to regulate that, we do look at the guns before they go on the field, and try to set up there guns so the boltsstay open longer, for example A1 angel set the ball sensitivity closer to 1 (1=fragile). doing this slows down the rate of fire, and it doesn't matter how sensitive the trigger is, you will see that your gun won't bounce anymore. any ways the older guys have come back out to play 27+, we have a couple of guys in their 50's and one in their 60's.
LatinAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:30 PM #36
ballin v6
HKanada

I completelty agree with you. But where I live it's a mix of adults and kids and everyone gets alng great. And there aren't alot of spoiled kids. but the kids whose parents buy them nice gear aren't rude and cocky. I started out with low end guns And saved my money to by first highend.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:17 AM #37
bigmike4387

Their is a numerous amount of things that push people out of the sport. Unfortunatly paintball is an industry that has grown around local fields and shops much of whom whether we want to admit it or not have more expensive paint prices. Which leads us to the point that in a suffering economy you dont have extra money to practice every weekend at lets say 75 bucks a weekend (admission and 1 I repeeat 1 case. Instead of trying to grow the sport around small shops and fields the small shops and fields need to grow more around the industry rather than try to grow an industry around the shops. Your telling me that some of these big name companies no names mentioned cant produce a quality cheap paint? And to end this paragraph we need to see more ambassadors of paintball. By this I mean more people like Matt Marshall. People who believe and have a passion for the sport who will represent it in the right way not only to experienced players but also to people who have never stepped on the paintball field. Also I hate to say it but things like not being able to watch Cup at least not with ease or having to find it on some internet station is not helping promote anythign. Its funny how you can only use certain brands of paint so they monopolized it, but they couldnt spend the extra dollar to the sport broadcasted. This makes zero sense. Dont get me wrong I love this sport, but I myself belive their has also been a slight downfall recently. Hope this turns around soon.
bigmike4387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:21 AM #38
bigmike4387

What happened to the NPPL 7 and 10 man and having true skill. One shot one pull true old school paintball.BRING it BACK haha
bigmike4387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:10 AM #39
LatinAssassin

one shot one kill, that is something to be seen again, people have differnet opinions on that but i sure would love to see it come back. at our field we have, it is not on the map by any means, we have established the semiauto only rule, and no bounce, but honesty only goes so far, we do try like heck to regulate the rate of fire by looking at the gun settings, we look at the settings on each electro that controls the amount of time the bolt is held open, the more time the slower the gun, we set it so some one can't go past 10 to 13 bps. we want new and old players to have a level playing field (gun wise). the response from the people is good more and more people have shown up to play, young players get a chance to grow when playing with skill instead of unloading for 2 games and being out of paint, this way has helped people save money, buying less paint, we like to play hopper only games when it comes to having new players out on the field, the older guys have also enjoyed this. don't get me wrong we do have nights that people can bring out their equipment to play PSP style ball, we do try to cater to all but the PSP style playing is only a hand full, and most of the veterans have walked away from it in my area, no one has the money to hand out for case upon case of paint. now a days i do enjoy playing more with my old school mech cocker or my old RT mag, instead of my 07 A1 or 06 Ego, i like to play paintball all day instead of a half an hour of total play. the accuracy by volume days are dwindling away. thats only my opinion and what i have been seeing, no money = no crazy 31 bps
Old 11-22-2010, 01:47 PM #40
B2K5Kypaintballer
rock out with ur **** out

B2K5Kypaintballer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike4387 View Post
Their is a numerous amount of things that push people out of the sport. Unfortunatly paintball is an industry that has grown around local fields and shops much of whom whether we want to admit it or not have more expensive paint prices. Which leads us to the point that in a suffering economy you dont have extra money to practice every weekend at lets say 75 bucks a weekend (admission and 1 I repeeat 1 case. Instead of trying to grow the sport around small shops and fields the small shops and fields need to grow more around the industry rather than try to grow an industry around the shops. Your telling me that some of these big name companies no names mentioned cant produce a quality cheap paint? And to end this paragraph we need to see more ambassadors of paintball. By this I mean more people like Matt Marshall. People who believe and have a passion for the sport who will represent it in the right way not only to experienced players but also to people who have never stepped on the paintball field. Also I hate to say it but things like not being able to watch Cup at least not with ease or having to find it on some internet station is not helping promote anythign. Its funny how you can only use certain brands of paint so they monopolized it, but they couldnt spend the extra dollar to the sport broadcasted. This makes zero sense. Dont get me wrong I love this sport, but I myself belive their has also been a slight downfall recently. Hope this turns around soon.
the reason its not broadcasted is bc one, its expensive and doesnt have the backing normal sports do. most sports have a central focus, usually the ball, and thats all that matters is the players around that ball. in paintball theres really no central focus. its 2 teams playing each other to eliminate the opposing team. paintball is hard to film when theres 10 or 14 guys spread out on a field. and the closest format to an actual sport is Xball. it actually has penalties and all the basics of other sports other than a central focus.

and about the paint monopoly you tlk of, how is it a monopoly??? in the rules it says any paint ENCAPSULATED by either RPS or procaps. procaps is draxxus and im not completely sure if they own any other brands. but i do know RPS makes SEVERAL different paints other than their own brands. ik they have karnage, XO, diablo, empire, BT, WPN, etc. both companies have most of the market anyways. theres nelson but theyre expenseive, and alot of companies shut down or were bought out by rps or procaps. and really, its honestly cheaper to buy paint at the event rather than bring your own. most teams that go to big events are sponsored either directly by the paint companies or by dealers of those companies so they get deals. and ive also heard of players getting good deals on paint there and not having a sponsorship. not entirely sure how they pulled that off though.
B2K5Kypaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:58 PM #41
B2K5Kypaintballer
rock out with ur **** out

B2K5Kypaintballer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinAssassin View Post
one shot one kill, that is something to be seen again, people have differnet opinions on that but i sure would love to see it come back. at our field we have, it is not on the map by any means, we have established the semiauto only rule, and no bounce, but honesty only goes so far, we do try like heck to regulate the rate of fire by looking at the gun settings, we look at the settings on each electro that controls the amount of time the bolt is held open, the more time the slower the gun, we set it so some one can't go past 10 to 13 bps. we want new and old players to have a level playing field (gun wise). the response from the people is good more and more people have shown up to play, young players get a chance to grow when playing with skill instead of unloading for 2 games and being out of paint, this way has helped people save money, buying less paint, we like to play hopper only games when it comes to having new players out on the field, the older guys have also enjoyed this. don't get me wrong we do have nights that people can bring out their equipment to play PSP style ball, we do try to cater to all but the PSP style playing is only a hand full, and most of the veterans have walked away from it in my area, no one has the money to hand out for case upon case of paint. now a days i do enjoy playing more with my old school mech cocker or my old RT mag, instead of my 07 A1 or 06 Ego, i like to play paintball all day instead of a half an hour of total play. the accuracy by volume days are dwindling away. thats only my opinion and what i have been seeing, no money = no crazy 31 bps
thats great that u have the semi only rule, but i think goin in and changing settings other than the semi/ramping mode or the ROF is a bit ridiculous. tournys now are capped at 12.5, which really anyone can shoot that in semi. the amount of time the bolt stays open controls efficency. its how you fine tune your gun. pretty sure its called dwell. had nothing to do with your speed directly. if you have it set high you have alot of kick and your gun is capable of shooting faster, BUT it doesnt make you as a player shoot faster. you adjust your dwell, lpr (if you have one), and reg together to get the best efficiency and shot you can
B2K5Kypaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:08 PM #42
LatinAssassin

the settings we are using are seperate from the dwell setting, we are playing with the eyes on the markers, we set them up so the eye time to read an object in the breach is longer which in turn leads to the bolt staying open longer, this will allow the ball more time to sit in the breach (slowing down the rate of fire). the reason we are doing this is not hurt the guns performance but to be able to regulate the style of play, we are not a PSP NPPL or whatever field, most of the kids and adults show up with guns that don't have the software updates, but there are a handle full that do, but from past experience everyone wants to get away with out shooting the other person by 5 or more bps. our solution has stopped that the over shoot problem, this has helped to keep everyone honest, and i know from playing in different tournaments the honesty is at an all time low. kids and adults have adapted and are having a great time, especially because they are not going through an enormous amount of paint, we do have the spray and pray nights, and the only people that really show up to those nights are mostly teenagers and some older adults, but as time has gone by the crowd has gotten smaller and are shifting towards the slower firing type of play. we have tried to cater to everyone but as time has gone by people are having trouble paying for things, all we are doing is trying to come up with another alternative so everyone can play together and not be afraid of what the other guy has in his or her hand. i don't want the young and the old to be driven away by little hot heads just because they have their gun set up in semi auto and doing 15+ with some boogity boop board. i can get my angel and my ego to go nuts in semi, faster than any PSP or Ramp setting so just adjusting the ROF is not enough. unless someone out there has a different way of doing things. these are just the ideas we have come up with