Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-25-2011, 03:34 AM #211
doc92

Players numbers are definitely shrinking down here in Florida. Most producers have kept their prices just as high as back in 2007. Wayne's World used to have 700+ players at their spring and fall games before 2008. The game a couple weeks ago had 175. Wayne's paint prices kept creeping up until it hit $85 per case and that's when players started looking for other games or just stopped playing. Free finale at Low Country is now just the "Finale". Paint, entry and air all at regular high prices now. The player numbers at the 2010 LCP Finale were about 30% of what they were in 2009. Most of the producers are trying to squeeze every dime out of the players that do come out. Two cases of paint, air and entry at Waynes for about $240 kinda hurts.
Anyone here go to the 2004 Michigan Monster Game? There was about 2000 players there. It was also the last BYOP game Hell's Survivors had. The attendance at all the games since has been much lower. I had a skid of paint drop shipped for my team to my hotel for that game. I could never shoot 15 cases of RP Premium at their current field paint prices.
I think the players are still out there. But the disposable income has become less than what is required for the organized events.
Sorry for the long rant.

Last edited by doc92 : 09-25-2011 at 03:35 AM. Reason: .
doc92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:38 PM #212
manicdemon

I have to agree with asfaraslogic in that it isn't fun for a new player to come out and get slaughtered on the field. I think that the sport needs to become more inviting to the new players. I've noticed that there are too few players out there trying to help you get better and instead talk a bunch of smack. In order for the sport to grow again I think that we need more players to help out the new guys and give them pointers so they keep coming back.
manicdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:29 PM #213
GHPBWoman

GHPBWoman has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
We've seen a big switch in our area from people buying the latest & greatest high end everything to bringing their old gear back out onto the field. It has been really cool to see the influx of "vintage" markers back in action. People who are buying tend to be moving towards the mid-range price point of markers or modding their lower end guns to perform better.

There has also been a huge collective drive by our local fields to attract new players, and it has been GREAT! Recently Intel held an employee paintball day that attracted nearly 500 players - almost all of them new to the sport. (Thanks to the Tri-Lambs team & Warpaint for coordinating such an outstanding event). For us to succeed we definitely need to focus on going back to the basics of having fun on the field with friends. All the technical skill & quickdraw ability mean nothing if there isn't anyone for you to play against.

Find me at: Gearheadz Paintball
GHPBWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 PM #214
BunkerKing615

The Economy
Put it this way, you go play... Spend Money... Go home... and you have nothing to show for, except an empty wallet. The only people that continue to play are the ones that can afford it.... I tell people i play, and there like how much is it? Im like ehh about $65 a week.. and they same im dumb.. Especially spending $600 on a gun.... But the people that play paintball are the only ones that i will ever understand paintball...

Lagoon
09 EGO
BunkerKing615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 PM #215
joshjones736

Idk

Personally at this moment in time i was thinking of quitting but then again. I just got an NT10 upgrade kit so maybe I might stay. Just all of the money that's been put into paintball has just screwed with the economy for the last time. I believe it's because of all the tax increases and all that pointless **** they're putting onto everyone out there. It's more or less a case of paintballs that are cheap and the guns are what grabs everyone away from paintball. It's the fact that all of the good guns are hella expensive
Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 PM #216
CptSpalding
Josh Ulbrik Photography

CptSpalding owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CptSpalding posts videos on PbNation
CptSpalding has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CptSpalding has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
CptSpalding has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
The economy
CptSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:25 PM #217
bmankool

bmankool plays in the PSP
bmankool plays in the APPA D5 division
bmankool has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bmankool has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Ok. People out there that say teenagers have there parents pay for paintball need to realize that that's a small percentage of young players. My friends who play paintball pay for their own gear. If our parents pay for something its like a box of paint or a new mask for our birthdays. Stop throwing all the **** at young players cause i know adults who buy the high end gun's and just rip on little kids. The issue is that paintball players in general are hostile towards each other and new comers. Ive been playing for 2-3 years now and i finally bought my own gun just over a year and a half ago. Now i have 4 guns of which 2 i need to sell. Point is that i have a woodsball gun and a speedball gun and i use each for its intended use. Even woodsball guns have high rates of fire guys. Point is dont blame the younger kids for everything cause that really turns off future players who dont want to be ridiculed purely because they're young and saved up money for their mid to high level guns just to be automatically seen as an over shooter.

GLS Event 5 2013- 3rd Place
Iron Mitten 4 2013- 3rd Place
http://www.tcpaintball.com
bmankool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:17 PM #218
FrontPlaya04
I will set you on fire

FrontPlaya04 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Economy went down. Paintball took a hit but its on the rise again. Instead of everyone complaining and placing blame how about you do something about it and invite new friends to play?

Nasty NXT for sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...ight=nxt+nasty
FrontPlaya04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:43 PM #219
Infinity Kid
Lonely Island

Infinity Kid is playing at Living Legends VII
Infinity Kid supports Team VICIOUS
Infinity Kid supports Team VICIOUS
Infinity Kid posts videos on PbNation
Infinity Kid supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinAssassin View Post
I started playing paintball 15 years ago, the first marker i ever held in my hand was a rental stingray, i though it was the cats a!!. After my first game i was hooked and saved my money to buy my first marker, a kingman spyder, i decked that thing out with a wooden smart parts 45 trigger handle, stainless steel dye barrel, remote system, a new ANS bolt, and valve. i knew the ins and outs about my gun, i had a bunch of the older guys help me when it came to understanding and fixing the marker. kids now a days think that if it doesnt fire or chops paint the gun is broken, let me tell you i have bought repaired (from the kids at the field) Angels, Egos, E-blades, and Dye's and repaired them and turned them back into 100 MPH machines, but the sad thing is the parents are buying these kids $500+ markers without thinking, or these kids have money to burn because i get last years models. Paintball does need to change because it the sport seems to be slowing down in the state of michigan, i no longer play tourney ball, tourney ball has put a sour taste in my mouth, i don't have doing it anymore and putting up with smart mouthed kids, i don't ever remember disrespecting an older player at the age of 12 and trowing a fit because Ref caught you whipping. well now a days some of us older guys are heading back to our own field, we have come up with one rule semi only, no matter what type of gun you have, even in semi some guns are still faster then others but at least we can have a level playing field, and only skill will prevail instead of accuaracy by volume. let me tell you guys, i own the field and don't charge anything, but thats not the point, i have gotten more and more people to show up, friends of friends, and people that i have never met, the reason they come out is because of the semi-auto only rule. people with tippmans, spyders, cockers, angels, egos, mags, etc. can now go head to head without worrying about being over run by a hail storm of paint, we occaisionally do have someone being out matched, remember it is semi only but there is only so much we can do to regulate that, we do look at the guns before they go on the field, and try to set up there guns so the boltsstay open longer, for example A1 angel set the ball sensitivity closer to 1 (1=fragile). doing this slows down the rate of fire, and it doesn't matter how sensitive the trigger is, you will see that your gun won't bounce anymore. any ways the older guys have come back out to play 27+, we have a couple of guys in their 50's and one in their 60's.

Where may I ask is your field?
Infinity Kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:37 PM #220
matt3

has been a member for 10 years
matt3 supports DLX Technology
If you are having trouble affording paintball with your current style of play try something new. Try pump or stock class play. You can have just as much fun for much less cost. Plus you can still compete vs anyone. My favorite question I get asked is what gun do I use. Like that really matters. When I tell them a pump gun the conversation ends till I shoot them and the new nt11 they are shooting.... Do what u need to to keep playing. Think outside the box some. Case of paint can last you a month or more playing every weekend.
Matt
Third Eye Vision "OC" #77
Shocker of the month August 2013
Luxe of the month November 2013
matt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 AM #221
StraightBalla

35 dollars a sunday for me... thats nothing. I see a lot of players where im at.

Maryland Ballas Club!!

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post33008222
StraightBalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 AM #222
JWoo22

Pretty much what everyone else is on the lines of as simple as the economy has gone down fields sadly have closed down and sponsorships have been lost. Gas was also cheaper backin 05 then it is now and considering how much land u need for ur average local fields most people on average have to drive at least 20 + if not an hour or so to their closest field now that many have closed. It's not a cheap sport in general and the prices on high end guns are averaging almost or around a grand. Love the sport n it's a shame but money doesn't grow on trees and neither does gold tournament paint
Old 01-17-2012, 03:58 PM #223
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D4 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicdemon View Post
I have to agree with asfaraslogic in that it isn't fun for a new player to come out and get slaughtered on the field. I think that the sport needs to become more inviting to the new players. I've noticed that there are too few players out there trying to help you get better and instead talk a bunch of smack. In order for the sport to grow again I think that we need more players to help out the new guys and give them pointers so they keep coming back.
I do agree, but after this weekend it made me lose all hope in new players.
The walk-on's I played with cheated all the time, the only way they would get out is if they got shot about 8 times in a quick session. It is kinda frustrating when that happens, especially since I use a pump with walk on's. So other players on my team switched to their electro's and switched to ramp and slaughtered these 20 year olds because they were always cheating. I have to admit, I was really close to switching to my G6R for the day...
Old 01-17-2012, 03:59 PM #224
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D4 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightBalla View Post
35 dollars a sunday for me... thats nothing. I see a lot of players where im at.
Yea, this is me as well
Old 01-17-2012, 04:01 PM #225
Futureballpro2000
It's a lifestyle

Annual Supporting Member
Futureballpro2000 plays in the PSP
Futureballpro2000 is playing at Living Legends V
Futureballpro2000 is playing at Living Legends VII
Futureballpro2000 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Futureballpro2000 supports Team VICIOUS
Futureballpro2000 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballin v6
i wouldnt really say that. We pay 50$ a case at our rec feild, and our speedball feild paint is 25$ a case.
Wow my field is the avg $45 for a case
18/0/0
Futureballpro2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 PM #226
damico

damico is a Supporting Member
damico plays in the PSP
damico owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
damico plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostoftheunion View Post
There was a huge marketing push in 2000-2007 that picked up alot of teens into the sport. What happens when these kids hit 16..17 and get a car and start thing about school they get distracted and quit. But now that "we" thoes teens are hitting our mid twentys alot of us have jobs that can now afford the sport again. i think now for the next few years the sport will grow for a bit.
. I'm a perfect example: i quit playing in 06' because of college, buying a car, and spending money on gf's. Finally, I can afford to play again. Most of the people that I played with are starting to play again as well.
damico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:22 PM #227
Toyota00
Paintball4Life

Toyota00 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I quit about 5 times, finally 22 with a good part time job and going to school, I can afford it again. I am about a week away from dropping about 1-1500 on gear and a gun. In las vegas, 2 big nice new fields have gone up in the last few months. Seems to be growing. I think people "think" they move past the point, or people think the sport is for kids. I mean a 8th of pot is 50-60 lol, rather spend that on paint and a good solid day of play and memories. I don't think money is always the factor, I think its more so life plus funds.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:48 AM #228
tornadoes72
Stay classy-PBNation

tornadoes72 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
expensive and people are losing jobs
Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM #229
Sergiop8ballSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by damico View Post
. I'm a perfect example: i quit playing in 06' because of college, buying a car, and spending money on gf's. Finally, I can afford to play again. Most of the people that I played with are starting to play again as well.
this is whats happening for me and my friends. as we are getting back into we are creating an interest for our friends who never played before. so i have hopes for the next few years to come.
Sergiop8ballSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:44 AM #230
Phantom289

I know that i dont play much at my local tourney field because last i went, all the refs were a couple kids who smart mouthed our group. Paintball seems to attract attention whores and people with the "im so cool" mentality. Not saying all paintball players are like that, but its like MMA in that regard (except MMA gets even more "tough guys" than paintball) Couple this with the economy going down, a lot of the nicer guys who have bills to pay leave, and you're left with a couple kids who get everything handed to them by rich parents.

Not to mention, playing on a private field is cheaper, and minus the smart mouthed little jerks.

(problem about the little jerks is they're better than me! i cant play as often as them hahaha)
Phantom289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:38 PM #231
Cc_inc

I recently noticed an increase in players here in Salt Lake City Utah.

I stopped playing about 4 years ago and just recently jumped back into the game. Part of the reason why I quit was that the player population was for sure decreasing and tournaments were very rare, no one had money to play or organize events.

Went back to my local field yesterday and noticed a huge amount of rec-ballers on a Thursday afternoon. The field also said they had a good amount of business! I'm very excited that it started to flourish again, well here in Utah at least.
Cc_inc is offline   Reply With Quote