Community Focus

Old 10-03-2010, 10:31 PM #1
snowboardgeek1

snowboardgeek1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
snowboardgeek1 supports Team VICIOUS
snowboardgeek1 plays in the APPA beginner division
Efficiency Test on the 07 Critical Quest

Well I finally finished the test. I also took a video which I will put up in a few days. I used a 68/4500 filled to 4-4100 psi. I forgot to take a temperature reading of the tank but it was a hot fill. The gun was setup exactly the way it comes from critical. All stock settings. LPR at 100 psi. Chrono'd to around 285 but the paint I used was old so as you'll see in the video the FPS was all over the place. I did not barrel match at all in fact I probably over-bored by quite a bit since I used my Dye Titanium barrel ad the paint was really small, I'd say probably a .684 would have been perfect. I officially shot 8 pods with about 3-500 psi left over. I feel I could have gotten 9 pods but the last pod I used some left over horrible JT paint which jammed like crazy. I got so frustrated with it that I shut down the test at that point.

As I said, I will post up the video in a few days, Sunday at the latest since I'm on travel for work this week. Just wanted to post an update.

*EDIT - New Video is now up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRylncooC70

Shot 10.5 pods off 68/4500 4K filled tank.

The gun shot better over the chrono this time around. I know people are wondering why I'm getting more shots this time around. The paint was fresh but very brittle, plus the paint to bore match was a lot better this time around. Plus the gun is getting broken in more and more with each case of paint.

Overall the gun shot smooth and quiet. I also have a video comparison of shooting my Quest vs. an EGO 09 that my friend uses. I'll post that up soon.

Last edited by snowboardgeek1 : 10-20-2010 at 11:47 AM.
snowboardgeek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2010, 12:00 AM #2
Leafy
Uses the man pedal

Leafy helped look for balloons
thats with a stock silvermember bolt and the stock bolt pin with no tape mod right? if so that sounds right, otherwise?
Gear Bag Sale!

Feedback More Feedback
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 AM #3
snowboardgeek1

No, its with a Critical bolt, stock pin, no tape mod.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:58 AM #4
Fallinher0
Taking Power Tokens

Annual Supporting Member
Fallinher0 donated to help Peyton Trent
Nowhere near what was claimed... but then again way more then enough to make it through a long drawn out game which is all that matters.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:43 AM #5
snowboardgeek1

Not sure what was claimed in the past. I was actually very surprised at the efficiency. I thought it was great for a spool gun. I think it has even better efficiency than my Ironmen DM9.

I really think if I would have gotten 9 pods easily with the amount of air that was left in my tank. Also the LPR was set a little high at 100 psi and everything else at stock settings. Maybe with a proper tune and a longer break-in period, I could get better efficiency, but that's just speculation.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:34 AM #6
Leafy
Uses the man pedal

Leafy helped look for balloons
So... lesson learned, stock silvermemeber bolt with tape mod > rsf bolt without tape mod.
Gear Bag Sale!

Feedback More Feedback
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 AM #7
snowboardgeek1

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you want a quieter shot and greater reliability, go with the RSF bolt.

You're not comparing apples to apples. RSF bolt plus tape mod could possibly yield the same efficiency numbers as a stock bolt plus tape mod.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:21 AM #8
Cloak&Shotgun
John Cleese=My F'n Hero

^^^that... and how broken in is your quest?
I can shoot 6 pods off a 48/3000 steely

WTT Soul for Green Quest

I LOVE Hammerhead barrels
Cloak&Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:44 PM #9
snowboardgeek1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloak&Shotgun View Post
^^^that... and how broken in is your quest?
I can shoot 6 pods off a 48/3000 steely
Exactly. I've probably put 4-5 cases through my quest.

A fair comparison would be an RSF bolt with tape mod vs. stock or goldmember bolt with tape mod. Keep in mind, other factors come into play such as LPR pressure, tank temperature and pressure, what type of HPR, board settings, etc.

Hmmmm...6 pods off a 48/3000? That's a bit high. I would believe it more if it was a 48/4500. What was your LPR pressure set at? Dwell? Stock HPR? Type of bolt and pin? The reason my LPR was set a bit high was due to the need of keeping a good ROF for tournament play plus I feel the gun isn't completely broken in.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:54 PM #10
eatafetus
knows you love it.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
eatafetus is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
eatafetus supports Empire
I think I ran a partial test and Got more than what you got, also using the RSF bolt. But who cares, I have never been in a game where I shot more than 4 pods anyway. RSF FTW

Edit: I went back into the RSF announcement thread, Disposable and i calculated that you could get 2,200 shots off of an RSF bolt with the tape mod. That was baised off how many shots I got off of 1,000 psi on a 68/4500 tank. That is also a conservative estimate. Other factors to consider -my quest is broken in, has a hyper 2, lpr at 80ish, It was about room temp outside, and I matched my paint to my freak inserts

Keep in mind that its totally un-scientific, but dam it paints expensive.

Last edited by eatafetus : 10-04-2010 at 02:02 PM.
eatafetus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 PM #11
Cloak&Shotgun
John Cleese=My F'n Hero

I also have a hyper2 on one of my quests, lpr about 70-80
warm day and unfortunately only had a steeley because my tank was getting rehydroed, shooting marbs with the .689 007 barrel...... raping kids with their silly egos

WTT Soul for Green Quest

Old 10-04-2010, 04:00 PM #12
Cloak&Shotgun
John Cleese=My F'n Hero

also as far as paint goes I like Spyder black label its like 30 bucks for a case and it shoots really nice for the price
seriously try this stuff out

WTT Soul for Green Quest

Old 10-04-2010, 05:19 PM #13
snowboardgeek1

I wish I could have conducted the test with the snatchpin that critical let me borrow. At the stem, it is much thicker than my stock and the snatchpin that I bought off eBay, which from what I learned is an older version. I'm sure that would have helped with the efficiency.

I'm totally happy with 8-9 pods off a 68/4500. That tells me that 4 pods and a full rotor hopper would be no problem when using a ninja 49/4500 super lightweight tank which is what I use for speedball.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:27 PM #14
xceolite
ezcreation.ca

Using RSF

Played yesterday in near freezing weather and got 792 shots off on 1500psi (68/45). Turned into a flamethrower for the last pod or two though. Too cold.
xceolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:43 PM #15
snowboardgeek1

Completed another efficiency test. Took another video because I wasn't happy with the video I took plus my damn laptop crashed and I lost all my data, and the video with it. Finally got my laptop up and running again.

With the same parameters as before, I got 10.5 pods today. Had a few barrel breaks but the paint I used was very brittle tournament grade paint. Also it was very cold outside and kinda wet due to rain. I'll be posting the video soon.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:01 AM #16
Whitey818
Critical For LIFE

that 10.5 sounds better lol
Whitey818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 AM #17
eatafetus
knows you love it.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
eatafetus is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
eatafetus supports Empire
I think its like a govt. conspiracy to not have this video. Didnt critical's video get lost in a computer crash? and now so does yours?

hmmmmm
eatafetus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:05 PM #18
snowboardgeek1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatafetus
I think its like a govt. conspiracy to not have this video. Didnt critical's video get lost in a computer crash? and now so does yours?

hmmmmm
It'll be up soon enough. 2-3 days max.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:08 PM #19
Hibiki54

Hibiki54 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Hibiki54 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I have an OG Quest and 07 Raiders Critical.

The OG Quest has the Virtue Board and GM Bolt, otherwise is stock. Cold fill 68/4500, dwell of 9 (14 ABS), 75~80 psi on the LPR chrono'd at 275~288 I've been able to get around 13~14 pods. So realistically I'm getting 2.6 games if I shoot a full Rotor and 4 pods if I got fill to 4000 psi.

The Raiders Quest was upgraded to the current 07 Quest by Critical, though I'm using a Deadlywind barrel instead of the 100G. Cold fill 68/4500, dwell of 10 (ABS 14), LPR around 85~90 psi and chrono'd around 280~290. I've gotten 11~12 pods with the RFS Bolt but I've gotten 13~14 with the GM Bolt after lowering the dwell and LPR. So realistically, you should get similiar results on a hot 4000psi fill with the RSF Bolt in the Critical Quest, but it is not as efficient as the GM Bolt.

This is most likely due to the tighter tolerances used for the RSF Bolt. You have to lube it very heavily, increase the dwell and LPR to get a more consistent shot. Because of this you lose maybe a couple potential pods in efficiency, but it is still better than most other spools out there.

The GM Bolt makes the Quest VERY efficient. At DoN4 I was shooting my OG Quest and I literally carried 12 pods and a full hopper, equivalent of a case of paint, for the final battle. With a hot fill 90/4500 at around 4200 psi I shot my full hopper and all my pods and still had enough air left over to borrow a couple pods until I completely ran out of air.
Hibiki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 PM #20
snowboardgeek1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiki54 View Post
I have an OG Quest and 07 Raiders Critical.

The OG Quest has the Virtue Board and GM Bolt, otherwise is stock. Cold fill 68/4500, dwell of 9 (14 ABS), 75~80 psi on the LPR chrono'd at 275~288 I've been able to get around 13~14 pods. So realistically I'm getting 2.6 games if I shoot a full Rotor and 4 pods if I got fill to 4000 psi.

The Raiders Quest was upgraded to the current 07 Quest by Critical, though I'm using a Deadlywind barrel instead of the 100G. Cold fill 68/4500, dwell of 10 (ABS 14), LPR around 85~90 psi and chrono'd around 280~290. I've gotten 11~12 pods with the RFS Bolt but I've gotten 13~14 with the GM Bolt after lowering the dwell and LPR. So realistically, you should get similiar results on a hot 4000psi fill with the RSF Bolt in the Critical Quest, but it is not as efficient as the GM Bolt.

This is most likely due to the tighter tolerances used for the RSF Bolt. You have to lube it very heavily, increase the dwell and LPR to get a more consistent shot. Because of this you lose maybe a couple potential pods in efficiency, but it is still better than most other spools out there.

The GM Bolt makes the Quest VERY efficient. At DoN4 I was shooting my OG Quest and I literally carried 12 pods and a full hopper, equivalent of a case of paint, for the final battle. With a hot fill 90/4500 at around 4200 psi I shot my full hopper and all my pods and still had enough air left over to borrow a couple pods until I completely ran out of air.
I agree with most of what you've listed. I've never tried the goldmember bolt although I own one. I haven't tested the efficiency with that bolt but I agree with your assessment on the RSF bolt and its tight tolerances and how you have to increase the LPR to get a more consistent shot, although I'd gladly give up 1-2 pods for a quieter gun. I think that's the bottomline with the RSF bolt. Although you may give up some efficiency, you'll gain in other areas such as a much quieter shot.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:41 AM #21
LU_aDaK
See you at LL7

Annual Supporting Member
LU_aDaK is playing at Living Legends VI
LU_aDaK is playing at Living Legends VII
ATTENTION: The bolt is not supposed to cure cancer. It was simply made to be softer on paint, to be more efficient, much more durable and hopefully reduce a smidge of kick.

Those who own the bolt have all noticed efficiency improvement, and personally I have not had a single problem with chopping. I have also never heard of a single one of them breaking.

I really think it is historical how the paintball community now needs direct video evidence with 2 phd's, slow motion cameras, the perfect angle, no cutting away, exact balls per pod, a signed affidavit, a blood test and if possible a semen sample.

Upgrades for markers have been released since the begining of paintball. People try them and then tell others who then either decide to buy or not to buy. It is a $50 ****ing bolt. It makes slight improvements on the original design and does so while being much more durable.

Here is my offer right now. Someone paypal me $ for a case of paint, I will get a full 68/45 tank fill at my field and I will film it at the field in 1080p and directly upload it to youtube without editing.

I spent my $ on paint last time, sat out in zero degree ****ing cold and tried. The god damn tank blew a leak because of the cold. I am not going to spend more money on paint just to prove beyond all doubt that the bolt does what everyone else is saying it does. IT SHOOTS MORE PAINT, IT IS MUCH MORE DURABLE, and IT IS SOFTER ON BRITTLE PAINT!

Wondering why it is so aggravating? Because the bolt costs the same as the case of paint you will be testing it with. I know for a fact it won't make waffles but the **** does make the marker more efficient.

....my offer stands, this rant is over, and I need my morning coffee.

LU_aDaK is offline   Reply With Quote