PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-19-2010, 07:14 PM #1
Damonwill

Damonwill is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Field test of Sniper Rounds

For those that have been hounding me about my Sniper Rounds, here are the field tests that I've been promising. These are the stills, but i'll post the video as soon as I have it converted to web format.

We started on my ranch. Set up a 4' x 4' board with a target inked on. Before each test, the marker was calibrated to the correct FPS (280 and 310 fps) and 10 rnds where sent to dial in the scope. this was done for both the balls and Sniper Rnds. I only had 4 First Strike rounds per distance so I wasn't able to dial in the scope and FPS for those.. Just best guess shot and keep the same aim point to verify a tight grouping.

NOTE: 5 shots were shot in each case except the 8 shot volly. If there are not 5 impact shots on the target, its because the shot missed the target completely

Gun used was a custom build Sniper rifle.

the rounds I'm firing

Range was a 200 yard road on my ranch that is lined by trees to limit windage.

LET THE TESTS BEGIN!!!
First we set the target at 30 yards. Standard balls were first at 280fps

Next were the Sniper Rounds at 30 yards at 280fps

Then Sniper Rounds and First Strike at 310fps. Note the FS rounds shot high as I didn't have extras to adjust the FPS. So they were firing pretty hot and hence shot high. but as you can see from the tight grouping, they preformed quite well as expected.

Next we moved the target to 50 yards and reduced to 280 fps. Standard balls first

Now the Sniper Rounds at 50 yards, 280fps

And Sniper Rounds at 50 yards, 310fps

First Strike at 50 yards pic corrupted. but Video is on youtube.

For a little fun, we shot a volly of 8 shots (full cylinder) at 50 yards and 310fps.

And now we move the target to 70 yards, 280fps, standard balls

Sniper Rounds, 70 yards, 280fps

Sniper Rounds, 70 yards, 310fps

And since we were out shooting, I thought I'd have some fun. Target range - 90 yards, Sniper Rounds, 310fps

TEST COMPLETED

Here is the view of the scope on the sniper rifle

and here is a pic of the rounds loaded in my sniper rifle

MAXIMUM RANGE:
Lastly we fired the Sniper Rounds at a 45 degree angle at 280fps to get the rounds maximum range

We found the majority of the rounds clustered 165 to 175 yards from the fire table

video will be posted as soon as I can. And i'm trying to get a large number of the FS rounds so I can compare Sniper Rounds to FS rounds in a head to head test.

Damon Williams
www.scenariodreams.com

Last edited by Damonwill : 09-24-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Damonwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2010, 08:33 PM #2
Damonwill

RESULTS

As you can see from the pics, the Sniper Rounds appear to have a tighter pattern and be more within the major target area than standard paintball rounds. the videos will show the actual firing and impacts...

Note: When I do the test again with First Strike and Sniper rounds, I will have a replaceable target face. That way I'll have a clean page for each range and velocity.

Damon Williams
www.scenariodreams.com
Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 PM #3
Damonwill

And here are a couple videos.

My rifle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Rmp...eature=channel

the FS rounds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUbNL...eature=channel

The 70 yard practice shots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K7Zp...eature=channel

enjoy!!

Damon Williams
www.scenariodreams.com
Old 09-26-2010, 11:40 AM #4
Boom Master
Scenario Player

I play scenarios and have a zilenced sniper set up with a rangefinding sighting system I made. The rangefinder is far more accuate that premium paint is much less typical scenario field paint. The inherent inaccuracy of paintball paint in general is basic issue that motivated you to have a better idea.

We both run right smak into the 'field paint only rule' for scenaro play.

I would love to use solid black shell paint rather than field paint simply because field paint functions like a 'tracer' round telling my opponents exactly which bush I am hiding in. Black shell paint is invisible in a wooded shaded area. However, games will not let me bring my own paint even if I offer to buy a case of their paint anyway. They will not stock it as field paint for snipers like us to use.

Now that some fields are allowing full auto modes, I broke down and bought my first electro marker so I can use full auto to compensate for paint inaccuracy. Even though I could put the center of the ball pattern right on his facemask with my rangefinder, I was maxed out in the 30-40 yard range by that 20" ball pattern. By the time I get ONE ball out of 8 to hit the facemask, he would be ducking for cover unless I got lucky in the first 4-5 trigger pulls. Now with 14 BPS full auto being allowed at some fields, I could put a bunch of balls right on a facemask with much better probability of getting a hit. That would extend my effective range for a 50 /50 chance of a hit out into that 50-70 yard range with field paint.

You're set up in combination with my rangefinder would be deadly at 70+ yards. I'd build a custom made marker just like you did just to have that capability if they would let me use it.

I know of few fields that would allow me to use your invention. How are you going to market you product for scenario play? Are those fins ADD ONs for the standard field paint? What has been your experience with fields acceptance of 'modified paintballs'?

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 09-26-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:21 PM #5
Damonwill

My Sniper rifle is a commercially avail marker. That is the only requirement for a marker at most fields.

Yes, you add these fins to the field paint.

As for the Sniper Rounds, they are also commercially avail. I don't make them in my garage... The material they are made of is the exact same harness and thickness as First Strike, and they are biodegradable and reusable. So if they will allow First Strike, there is no reason the sniper rounds wouldn't be allowed. At least that is how I approached three local scenario fields and they were fine with them. They actually liked them more because they wouldn't have to deal with different colored paint (the field paint color and First Strike white)

Damon Williams
www.scenariodreams.com
Old 10-25-2010, 03:43 PM #6
Fragbox

Fragbox plays in the PSP
Fragbox plays in the APPA beginner division
This is really cool
Fragbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 AM #7
GunCollector
REF

GunCollector owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I ordered 130 or these. I am gonna get some really fragile paint and muzzle load an ego with them.

at least until my pump is done.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM #8
JESTERTLS

Let us know how they work for you. I'll probably order some later in the season just for grins.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:02 PM #9
GunCollector
REF

GunCollector owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
He seemed to be able to use the sight well.

I was thinking I wanted get a light magnification sight and make post for it that could sit in the feed neck of my ego and muzzle load them.

I would love the crap i would get for having an ego with a scope and having to muzzle load.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:39 PM #10
JFBig Mac
Joint Fury Member

This would be soooo cool for night play with a Night Vision Scope. One Shot - One Kill!!

Assassins Guild Captain
Buzzkill Commander http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3162965
Joint Fury Member
http://www.jointfury.com
JFBig Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 PM #11
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

This is the best post ive seen on pbn in years. With a good group like that at 70 yards these rounds are worth a try. i will order some sometime.

some company sold rounds just like these 15 or 20 years ago. Still cool though. what would be nice for FPO fields is maybee just the finned section and you can glue it to the regular paintballs. not sure how much that would affect accuracy though

1.SS Panzer Korps
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:00 PM #12
Damonwill

That's what these are. Its just the finned section that you attach to FPO paintballs.

Damon Williams
www.scenariodreams.com
Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 PM #13
hardboy1864

Great post. These paintballs are the future.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:29 PM #14
Abnmp78

Orders 100 of these. Shipping is the same whether you order 10 or 100+ so went w/ 100. 20.95 shipped.
I have a T9 that I removed the front end and use it as a SMG. red dot so I have a point of aim.
25 yds (size of my back yard) the paintballs and FS rounds grouped like in the pics above. FS half the size of the PBs. Then I used the tails superglued. I started to put the glue and hold the rounds together. Saw this took too much time and started to just add two drops and set the PB on top and they held. Well I fired three rounds and they were looking as good as the FS then they strated to fly eveywhere. It looked as if I had paint in the barrel. I then noticed the tail was falling off out the barrel. I assumed that it was the ones I just set on when I glues them. Can't tell since I used the same PBs for everything. Other than that it looks good, but that's only from 2-3 shots.
As I see it:
First strike:
Advantage
Can fire from a mag- better follow up shots esp at distance- Acurace by volume

Tail-
Advantage
half the price of FS
uses field paint so no need to worry if it's allowed
Disadvantage
have to put together
either muzzle load or mod a marker for breach load
no current marker allows more than single shot.

I'm looking forward to more field tests.

Anyone else used these yet?
Abnmp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:24 PM #15
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Exactly how and what do you use to glue the fins onto the paintballs with. Super glue would be MY guess. What KIND of superglue? The stuff from LOWES and K mart? Or a special glue...?

I have never SEEN a rule that says you have to have commercially made markers to play. Just has to shoot paintballs under the speed limit consistently. I am already pondering some designs for a home made rather than chopping up a marker.

You don't have to......
Old 03-09-2011, 01:29 PM #16
Abnmp78

super glue. nothing special. I started by putting two drops on and holding the PB and fin together for 30 sec. Then just two drops and set the PB on top. Need to use diff PBs and each method to see where I screwed up.
As far as the marker I have a old spyder that I was going to enlarge the hole on to make a breach loader. If I do it right I wont touch the screw holes for the feedneck. Then If I want I can put the feedneck back on. If not then I only screwed up a $30 spyder.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:00 PM #17
kusokow

Can anyone give me some quick measurements on the Sniper Rounds. I'm interested in converting one of my markers to fire these things.

thanks
kusokow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:13 PM #18
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Guesstimating off the close up pictures at the top. Paintball is .70 Took a piece of paper and marked the width of the ball on the computer screen and put it against the Right edge of the horizontal pic. The tail extra length is just a smidgen over a ball width. I would say 1.45 would be a good working number.

Just a guesstimation.

Nope. Blew it up x 400 and did some measurements and math. Overall length is 1.41 Plus or minus .003"

Did you use the thin SuperGlue or the Gel, gap filling, gel Super Glue?

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 03-14-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:43 PM #19
Damonwill

Wow, exactly right. 1.40" with a ball installed.

Damon Williams
www.scenariodreams.com
Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 AM #20
Abnmp78

reg superglue. I'm going to try two methods.
1. put superglue around the entire rim and set the PB in. This is faster since you just need a flat surface for it to set.
2. sperglue it and hold the PB in place for 30 sec.
I plan on making a batch using diff color PB so I know which ones are which method. Then start with the barrells and see which perform best. With the T 9 the sabot just dropped down the barrel. So not the best fit. But even with that was much more accurate than a reg PB and around what the First strike rounds are.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:01 PM #21
Boom Master
Scenario Player

I have used super glue a lot. As you have already discovered, you have to develop a technique.

Might try this technique. Get or make a loading tray. Bore some holes in some 3/4" pine or plywood.

Set up the tails in the board. Next you have to figure out how many drops it takes to fill the void/gap when you set the ball on the tail piece so it contacts the maximum amount of the ball surface WITHOUT overflowing.

Remember, you might not need ALL the surface glued. Super glue is strong stuff. Overflow would affect the trajectory. So maybe just a dab will do ya.

Humid air accelerates the setting up process. You can just breathe on it to help set it up enough to finnishing curing without having to hold it.

You don't have to......