PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-14-2010, 10:23 PM #1
DRTHV8R

two unique projects

hello nation

so i've got two projects i've wanted to attempt for some time and finally decided to start work on them. one of them is a spimmy and one of them is a project with an odyssey rpm

the spimmy project:

nothing entirely special here, planning on using a diablo mongoose II body, cutting some windows for the ramsleeve, cutting some design into the back upper tube. there are a few things/complications that i wanted to do different

1) i've been keeping my eyes open for a system x nme gripframe. i think this would be very unique and not something common with spimmy makes. the only problem is they are hard to come by alone and with a good board and everything. i had an nme back in the day and loved the gripframe and trigger, so that is kinda what brought this on

2) the mongoose II, and some other spyder types, use the cocker style detent on the left side. i wanted this gun to look clean and avoid hacking off and tapping for eye covers. this leads to something else: how easy would it be to use an autococker e2 board in the gun? would it work with the timmy solenoid? would the eye logic work if it isn't closed bolt? i think the one eye cover on the other side of the gun would look really clean, but i'm not sure how well the board itself would work.

has anyone tried putting an e2 board in some sort of timmy (2k2, 2k5, nme) gripframe? anybody know if it would fit? would the eye logic work if it did fit? would it work with a timmy solenoid? i'm just kinda curious if anyone has attempted anything like this before i go out and buy one.

another idea i have toyed around with is the idea of using cyborg eye covers since the detent is also a cocker style, except on both sides of the marker. might go that route if i have issues with the e2

other than that, its a pretty straighyforward timmy build. i have an extra redz spyder tabs feedneck sitting around, and i'm pretty sure the mongoose II takes angel threads or somethign crazy, so i will probably modify it for the redz feedneck just for kicks and giggles.

the rpm project:

this is a project i have yet to see anyone attempt. i'm trying to make this gun unique in a few different ways listed below

1) rocking trigger. that's right. i'm going to attempt to fit a spyder rocking trigger to the marker without building a tray. i may have to modify the inside of the frame, but hey, thats all the fun in a project. now how would this work you say with only one microswitch? i'm planning on splitting the wire from the one microswitch coming from the board, routing it through the on-off switch for the spyder board, and then running it to a second microswitch at the top contact point for the trigger. i'm planning on routing it through the switch so when i play rec ball, i can keep it on semi and use the rocking trigger how it was meant to be used. but i'm hoping being able to turn one of the microswitches off may allow use on some stricter fields where rocking triggers aren't allowed because of the two contact points. eventually a diablo wrath virtue board will be an upgrade and i could use the one microswitch contact point with psp mode easily enough.

2) a front block. as if the rocking trigger wasn't going to be enough work. i'm planning on using a spyder or timmy front block for the gun. i think a timmy block would work better for air usage as a second regulator could help out a lot and such, but i'm leaning towards the trinity spyder front block. i like the idea of the block being angled back, keeping the nice tight profile of the marker. also, i have toyed again with the idea of adding a cocker lpr to the guage port and running that to the low pressure valve. this may also be something to look at later after everything is added and running.

the one potential problem i see with the front block is the diameter of the plug/lpc the rpm has and the diameter of the spyder/timmy front block. i'm a college student and i have some parts here, but my rpm is at home so i won't be able to compare for a little bit

other than that, this project is pretty straight forward. i plan on adding a qev to the rpm, doing some milling/dremelling/filing/drilling to the body to make it unique, and like i said, upgrades to a wrath virtue board. i'm also looking at upgrading the bolt and there are all sorts of wrath bolts and upgrades out there. any suggestions?

and of course, in the distant future, anno is going to be probable. so eventually i will need suggestions for that when i get there

i've just started buying parts and shopping around, so i'm planning on updating this thread as i go. i will try to take pictures and such as well as i go.

i would love any help, feedback, suggestions, or comments on the project (unless they are negative, i rather this not turn into a total flame fest)

until i can get some pics up and get some more stuff bought, lemme know what you guys think of the ideas and some feedback on them!

thanks everyone!
DRTHV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:23 PM #2
DRTHV8R

reserved for some pics
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 AM #3
tacxplosion

You won't be able to use the e2 board's eye logic and I think the wattage output is too low to run a timmy 'noid, if you have an e2 frame though you can run a 05/06 ego board and use the 'cocker's SMC 'noid or maybe even the timmy 'noid, you will need a tray for it though, I have a project spimmy of sorts in the works right now, you might find the thread useful once I start putting the thing together (which should be sometime next week).
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3460536
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:27 AM #4
DRTHV8R

gotcha. have you tried putting an ego 05/06 board into a timmy gripframe or know how well it fits? also, i'm trying to keep it as slim as i can, and get away from using a tray in either project. the 2k2 timmys have a lot of room in the frame, is there enough to get away without building a tray you think?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:30 AM #5
tacxplosion

No to ego board in timmy frame, don't know if it would fit though, that's why I'm using the worrframe, 05/06 ego board should be bolt on and go, the tray should be no more than 3/16" tall, maybe even less, it's basically used to line up the spyder's frame screw points with the worrframe (front screw point will use the same as in the worrframe and back will need to be adapted) and protect the hose, it should make it about as tall as a 2k2 timmy frame.

I don't know how well the ego's trigger switch would line up with the timmy's frame though and you would most likely need an adapter plate to screw the ego board onto to make it line up if the board even fits into the frame. If you're dead set on using a timmy frame you might want to consider a scenario dreams universal t-board.
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 PM #6
AmazingBilldo
I..... win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTHV8R View Post
also, i'm trying to keep it as slim as i can, and get away from using a tray in either project
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacxplosion View Post
If you're dead set on using a timmy frame you might want to consider a scenario dreams universal t-board.
using a UTB opens up a lot of frame options.

"...I had to be at that there crossroads last midnight, to sell my soul to the devil."
"Well ain't it a small world, spiritually speaking? Pete and Delmar just been baptized and saved. I guess I am the only one here that remains unaffiliated."

Cocker parts for sale:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3735953
AmazingBilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:31 PM #7
DRTHV8R

so this weekend i got a chance to play with some new parts and the odyssey rpm. i figured out that a timmy and spyder front block WILL work on the front. for the guys who like to do the cocker lpr conversion, this may be a very simple alternative which would also open up options for a vertical reg/grip. i will probably post the pictures in the odyssey forum as well. the only problem here is that the body is angled, so the blocks don't sit flush. i'm going to have to get rid of a little material on the body for it to work, but i'm pretty sure it will work

the redz spyder feedneck with tabs will fit, just need a little bit of work to get it to sit better.

the ans qev doesn't thread very well, and i doubt it seals. this might be a challenge.

i have some pictures i will post up soon, i haven't received the other gun yet with rocking trigger or anything, but i did get in a few more parts.

also, i'm debating putting a cocker detent on both sides of the spyder marker. you would this be too much pressure, or do you think they would be lenient enough?

PICTURES IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE, i just gotta get them off my phone onto a computer

again, any suggestions will be appreciated and considered. i'm kinda hesitant on using a utb board cause i rather just dump something in and go vs doing all the wiring and soldering and everything myself. also, 2k2 timmy boards can be found somewhat cheap
Old 09-21-2010, 11:48 PM #8
98autococker
Converted pumper.

i think 2 cocker detents would work fine.
"Originally posted by Castro #66: My stickiness is perpetual and everlasting."
98autococker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 PM #9
DRTHV8R

finally some pics, off my phone so not great quality
redz feedneck

front blocks (timmy block is an evil, hence why its shortened)

spyder front block pics

timmy front block pics

qev

will update as i go

for now though, i'm liking the spyder front block. the timmy block just looks kinda clunky on the front imo. might look different with a rocking trigger though, who knows

Last edited by DRTHV8R : 09-22-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:27 PM #10
Josh@PaintballDoctor

I think this is going to be one ugly RPM.

Why the rocking trigger?

The board you need is the UTB for both projects, I believe its $55, can use bounce beam or break beam eyes and will give you more than enough space if the RPM noid is the humphrey used in other oddessy and dragun guns.

That v/a is going to look terrible if you don't trim the body like the front of a timmy or spyder.
Josh@PaintballDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 PM #11
DRTHV8R

it isn't that ugly, i think it looks a lot like a karnivor in a lot of respects. i wanted to use a rocking trigger cause i had one on a different spyder project build i did back in the day and really like it, and i think it has a lot of potential being used in a pneumatic marker vs a blowback

i've been considering a utb for the rpm project, but i think i'm just going to go with a timmy board for the spimmy build. we will see though. what do you mean the v/a is going to look terrible if the body isn't trimmed? do you mean like set back more into the body? you can't go a whole lot farther in cause there is only so much room before the valve, but it will at least be sitting flush. the timmy v/a looks so-so but the spyder one kinda flows ok with the body