Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-31-2010, 04:04 PM #1
BK Manbearpig

Experience, strength, and hope.

I recently purchased a used nerve with CP asa, CP reg, and a few other upgrades. I've played with it several times and it shoots great. However, for it to work my LPR must be screwed in completely. I followed YDNA's tutorial on cleaning + relubing the LPR, and cleaned minimal amounts of dirt and re-installed it. I am still having the same problem, where it only shoots effectively if the LPR is completely screwed in.

Currently I have the operating pressure around 220/230, the LPR completely screwed in, and with the dwell at 35 beeps from the bottom.

My question is, with the LPR completely screwed in and with my current settings, will I be getting poor efficiency and/or am I risking my solenoid being blown? Also, would cleaning the piston assembly or solenoid any effect? I just think it is odd because to adjust the velocity I read that most people do it through adjusting the LPR, but that is not possible for me.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Another side question:
Does anyone still compete in tournies with the nerves, and can it compete with the more recent EGO's and DM's? The Nerve was my first marker in the electro pneumatic realm (previous markers Tippman Pro-Lite + 98 Custom) and I absolutely love it. I am just wondering if the Nerve is worth my while to put some money into fine tuning it (Possibly annodizing as well) or if I should just buy an Ego 09. I know that personal preference etc. blah blah blah, but I would like to hear some of your opinions.
BK Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2010, 05:19 PM #2
GoblyGoop

Dwell seems a little low. Do you have a parker or hump noid? Try going up 3 beeps.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3975908

~(*)Slate Revi (rev-i) up F/S Only. Tricked out and super clean(*)~
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...highlight=revi
GoblyGoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:06 PM #3
BK Manbearpig

I'll have to dissect it to find out. I just read that factory dwell setting was 30 beeps from bottom, and assumed that with the CP reg it would be just as efficient if not more efficient than the stock reg. So I thought that 35 beeps from the bottom was actually kind of high. I'll experiment by raising the dwell and seeing how that effects the LPR.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:14 AM #4
shadowlord06
The Hobbit

shadowlord06 supports Team VICIOUS
shadowlord06 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
shadowlord06 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
shadowlord06 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
shadowlord06 supports Empire
yeah 35 seems way high. I think my nerve is set at a dwell of 14 or so.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:07 PM #5
GoblyGoop

35 beeps would be like a dwell of 11.75ms. You should also try increasing your HPR to about 240. CP or stock reg doesn't matter to the pressure settings, it does effect recharge. Recharge isn't your issue, its cycling. If you have no leaks, charge your battery with a good fresh battery or replace your noid. I'm guessing you haven't taken your noid apart otherwise make sure you put it back together correctly. You can also look at your noid insert for blockage.

14ms dwell would be 44 chirps from bottom I believe. I am assuming since he referenced chirps that this is a stock board.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3975908

~(*)Slate Revi (rev-i) up F/S Only. Tricked out and super clean(*)~
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...highlight=revi
GoblyGoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:41 AM #6
RHChan84
You Suck At Life! QUIT!!!

RHChan84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Manbearpig View Post
I recently purchased a used nerve with CP asa, CP reg, and a few other upgrades. I've played with it several times and it shoots great. However, for it to work my LPR must be screwed in completely. I followed YDNA's tutorial on cleaning + relubing the LPR, and cleaned minimal amounts of dirt and re-installed it. I am still having the same problem, where it only shoots effectively if the LPR is completely screwed in.

Currently I have the operating pressure around 220/230, the LPR completely screwed in, and with the dwell at 35 beeps from the bottom.

My question is, with the LPR completely screwed in and with my current settings, will I be getting poor efficiency and/or am I risking my solenoid being blown? Also, would cleaning the piston assembly or solenoid any effect? I just think it is odd because to adjust the velocity I read that most people do it through adjusting the LPR, but that is not possible for me.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Another side question:
Does anyone still compete in tournies with the nerves, and can it compete with the more recent EGO's and DM's? The Nerve was my first marker in the electro pneumatic realm (previous markers Tippman Pro-Lite + 98 Custom) and I absolutely love it. I am just wondering if the Nerve is worth my while to put some money into fine tuning it (Possibly annodizing as well) or if I should just buy an Ego 09. I know that personal preference etc. blah blah blah, but I would like to hear some of your opinions.
Downside is that finding parts for it is going to be tough. But it will perform as good as an Ego. I think my SL74 performs slightly better then my Nerve. If you already have a Nerve, I would just check out any settings thread you can find on it and read through it and get some basic settings and go from there. I would be using my Nerve but it looks good and I want to keep it that way. Still shoots great. Less kick then my SL74 and quieter but SL74 has higher efficiency and easier to take apart.
RHChan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:42 AM #7
samuelkeesee12

Does your Nerve have the LPR volumizer and upgraded poppet? Iff it has all first generation parts then you will have to run at high pressures and the LPR will have to be turned in almost all the way. Later Nerves came with a little ball-bearing that added some space in the tuning of the LPR. But it really depends on which parts you have.
samuelkeesee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:41 PM #8
BK Manbearpig

I have the humphrey noid, I just finished performing maintenance from the guide on ZDSPB. I had hoped that it would be riddled with filth and/or noticeable blockage... and thus be an easy solution to my problem, but it was fairly clean. However, I did notice that the pilot gasket on the endplate was missing. The other pilot gasket located between the housing and spool housing was still there, along with the core gasket. I'm going to a pro shop tomorrow to pick up a .687 or .689 insert (playing a beginner 3 man tournament this weekend and was told they would only have smaller bore paint, and I only have the .693 stainless steel insert), while I am there I will ask if they have any teeny tiny pilot gaskets. The guide says "Be very wary of the small o-ring located in a groove at the top of the pilot housing. Make sure you don't loose this:" so I am assuming it is of some importance.

This is the gasket that is missing.

As far as my LPR is concerned, I believe I have the "upgraded" parts. I have the LPR extender housing, the LPR extender, and the poppet is identical to the guide from ZDSPB (I think YDNA posted that information?). However, I do not have the small ball bearing which could very well be the reason that I must screw my LPR in all of the way.

Before purchasing my Nerve I did some quick research to find that it originally retailed at $ 1,200 and the reviews on it (from pbreview) were full of praise and thought I was getting a hell of a deal. After buying it and getting more involved with the PB community here on the nation, I began to have second thoughts. Seeing all of the people in B/S/T saying "NO SMART PARTS!" and the stigma that Ion owners had made me feel like I needed to buy an EGO or DM and scrap the Nerve. But I've decided not to buy into the hype, as I really like the Nerve. I've learned a lot about how the marker works and would feel more confident working on a newer higher end gun if I feel the need to upgrade down the road. And besides, it can shoot laser tits.

The only other thing is after shooting some other guns, (I shot an A1 Cobra Fly, and a DM10 which is pretty damn smoothe lol) I wish my trigger was more "crisp." I could walk those triggers really fast, and on my Nerve (which has a CP shocker trigger) I think the trigger is not bouncing back fast enough or with enough pressure for each finger tap to be a shot. I haven't adjusted the trigger yet, so we'll see what I can do.

Anyways, thanks for your experience, strength, and hope! Really appreciate all the comments.

Last edited by BK Manbearpig : 09-08-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:50 PM #9
BK Manbearpig

Ok so I lied about the gasket, I had to have lost it because now my solenoid is leaking. It's that exact spot because when I shoved a piece of a normal sized o-ring that I cut with a razor blade in there it stopped leaking when I gassed it up. The paintball store I went to buy a freak insert didn't have small enough gaskets, so I'm going to try to macgyver from a piece of thinly sliced fat o-ring (which is the perfect size) and sticking a hot needle in the center. That or hit up a department store, but I have a tournament in 2 days!

Good news is I messed with the trigger and it absolutely shreds on semi now. No bouncing but for every finger tap there is a shot. It still shoots with the leak from the solenoid, but it's just so noisy.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:02 AM #10
samuelkeesee12

I still like the Nerve very much. Iff the SFT Shocker would have come out a year later the Nerve would have been huge. I remember back when these came out you would pay 1700-1800 dollars for an Adrenalin Angel, and over 1k easy for a good electro cocker. I had an Adrenalin Impulse and a Nasty Impulse at the time. I gave somewhere around 1100 for the Adrenalin ( 3 color fade anno was expensive) and around 900 for the Nasty. That was before some upgrading. The thing about the Nerve was you didn't have to upgrade anything. It was tourney ready out of the box. And it is a much better gun than the low-end Ions and crap. Smart Parts always got crap for stuff that happened ten years ago and that turned some people away from them. Then when they closed down the resale on all SP guns dropped horribly. They are still great guns and in the price range, imo, you can't beat them. Iff you are just getting into tourney play I would keep the Nerve until you're sure about playing tourneys. Then , down the road, maybe get a newer gun iff you are going to stick with it. Until then, iff you have extra cash, get a really good tank, hopper, and mask. Most serious ballers switch guns alot and keep those three things the same. I myself started playing tourney ball about nine years ago and I have had 2 Shocker 4x4 sports, 5 Impulses, 2 Cockers, a Bob Long defiant and Intimidator, and currently have 3 Nerves and 2 Shocker NXTs. Through all of it I have owned the same mask and hopper for over 6 years, the same uniform for 8, and the same tank for over 3. I'm not saying I am typical because I'm just a rec-baller now ( wife, mortgage, and a son). But my point is a good place to spend money first is on those three things especially iff you already have a Nerve. As for your solenoid problem, maybe put a post in the b/s/t on here for a 'want to buy broken noid' and just use it for parts. Gl.
samuelkeesee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:30 PM #11
BK Manbearpig

Hey thanks for the feedback man. I actually cut a thin slice from a spare o-ring with a flat razor, stuck a hole in the center of it with a bobby pin, and heated the edge of the needle so the hole wouldn't close up to make my own tiny o-ring and it works perfectly. Absolutely no leaking and I've shot at least 2 cases since then. We placed 1st out of 6 teams for our first tournament, but it was a beginner level tourney. I'm looking to buy another cheap Nerve for parts (scratched my eyes while cleaning the breach, and dented the bolt on the detents when I put that piece of rubber to see where the solenoid was leaking from, still shoots great but I've chopped balls 3 times out of a case while ramping 15 bps at a rec big game) and working on getting an insert kit (only have 2 inserts). I also picked up a blackheart board for $ 38 to have more control over tournament legal modes. My friends and I really want to play some more tournaments, and we all enjoy playing rec ball.

As of now I'm still very pleased with my Nerve and can't find any reasons to buy another gun. I like the way it feels and I've gotten numerous compliments on how it looks and shoots. But I could use some tips on cleaning the breach without scratching the eyes. I used a squeege to push a paper towel through it, so I'm assuming the paper towel is what did it.