PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-04-2010, 02:08 PM #1
Wafflezinator

Wafflezinator has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Wafflezinator is attending Decay of Nations VI
What Happened to Smart Parts?

What Happened to the Smart Parts company? I heard that they went bankrupt, is this true? If so, I was planning on buying an Ion XE, Should I now? If I should not, then is there any other gun out there like the Ion Xe?
Wafflezinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2010, 05:50 PM #2
chuey

has been a member for 10 years
Smart parts is in a state of limbo. So if you are looking to not tech your marker and rely on the support of a factory tech don't get an SP product.

If you can reliably tech a very simple marker and can find one cheap then do it. Don't pay full price. You can pick up other guns like a Spyder, Invert or DP for the same price as an upped Ion if you were to do it with all new parts.

There are a million aftermarket parts for the Ion though, so if you do find one for like $50 you wouldn't ever have to worry about parts for quite a few years. That said its an ugly marker they don't make aftermarket kits for the Xe. I mean my main one right now is an ANS razor Ion. It looks good but I would never have wanted a stock one the colors and such just didn't do it for me.
http://yfrog.com/0dansrazorp
chuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:40 PM #3
plushdragon

plushdragon helped look for balloons
re

To put it bluntly sp spent more money then they had coming in. all the lawsuits they had over the past 8 years or so caught up to them when the economy took a nose dive at the end of 2008. instead of getting smaller when they had the chance to save the company for the big bank load they had. the owners did nothing to save sp. they started out with a chapter 11 filling to restructure the company but did nothing for almost 6 months. other then laying off everyone and closing down there repair/service dept. right now a firm owns most of sp goods and ip. if you got a rich uncle that can pony up a few millions you could own the company. as for parts and markers it just like any other marker that gets old like the mag or autococker or an idg marker. there still parts out there and other people will or can make parts for older marker. the ion and ion clones should be around for a long time as there cheap and were a good first marker. before i would buy one i look into seeing if there still banjo and other main parts out there.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:38 AM #4
nerdcore
Radical!

nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
White Hats LLC basically bought Smart Parts after they filed Chapter 11. The legal process is supposed to take a good long time, but hopefully this means someone will pick up where SP left off.
http://68caliber.com/?p=12443
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:13 AM #5
4N2NR
Fossil of the forum

Annual Supporting Member
4N2NR is playing at Living Legends V
4N2NR owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
4N2NR is for the Gunfight
4N2NR supports Pev's Paintball
4N2NR is attending Decay of Nations VI
4N2NR is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore View Post
White Hats LLC basically bought Smart Parts after they filed Chapter 11. The legal process is supposed to take a good long time, but hopefully this means someone will pick up where SP left off.
http://68caliber.com/?p=12443
sorta semi-correct...in Chapter 11 the company is supposed to be reorganizing and re-emerging as itself reorganized but in a better financial position. However, when they elected to voluntarily change from Chapter 11 (filed May 13th, 2010. Case # 10-23521 TPA http://www.timschaffer.net/sp-bankruptcy.pdf) and enter Chapter 7 in August 2010 that was the liquidation phase where asets could be placed on the open market. White Hat has made an offer to acquire SP. Until the offer is accepted and all the legal doodoo is done SP still belongs to SP even if it isn't currently doing any business. If the current owners have enough money they could buy SP and rename it as a new company (yes, this is possible but highly unlikely). But remember they still have a stake in GI-MilSim and are making some good money there. So all it really means is everyone is hopeful that someone (White Hat LLC) will pick up where SP left off. On a positive note, there are so many new and used SP parts and aftermarket parts out on the market that their markers will probably be supportable for the next two decades even if nobody makes another part.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:51 AM #6
Wafflezinator

Wafflezinator has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Wafflezinator is attending Decay of Nations VI
okay thx guys, Ill probably be getting the ion xe or the EOS
Wafflezinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:17 AM #7
steffnap

get an eos, a lot less can go wrong with them....plus im selling one
steffnap is offline   Reply With Quote