PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-03-2010, 10:52 PM #1
dmbxvii

dmbxvii helped look for balloons
College...working out and drinking...

I work out a lot and i'm trying to gain mass (Im a hard gainer so the process is slow). Now I'd still like to have a good time with the new friends I meet, how do you balance working out ~productively~ and drinking every so often. If I keep a pretty standard limit (like only drink enough to get that buzz) and hydrate extremely well before and after and eat a lot too during, will my working out still be productive or useless.

Ie can you be a casual drinker?
dmbxvii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 PM #2
Fashoooow (Banned)

Fashoooow owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Fashoooow posts videos on PbNation
start working out when your 100% committed
Fashoooow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:17 PM #3
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

So lifting cant be a hobby?

"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"
Pump Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:29 PM #4
LostFaction15
///Madeon

if youre a ****** it can be

weightlifting to achieve a specific goal takes a lot of dedication

King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me

LostFaction15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:35 PM #5
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

So are you a ***** or do you lack dedication?

"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"
Pump Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:31 AM #6
5h0rTy
HK<3

has been a member for 10 years
if you wanna risk dirty bulking, then lots of peanut butter, milk and shovel dirty foods down your hatch like its nothing. lift heavy 5 days a week and get a solid routine, and youll put on muscle. be aware you'll put on a good amount of fat too. unless you have bad genetics, or are shooting for a body building perfectionist type of build, you can have fun and put on muscle too.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:38 AM #7
brassmonkey267

You're worrying about it too much, light drinking occasionally won't (a?)effect you drastically.
brassmonkey267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:08 AM #8
Bayne
Trucks? Haha, 7/8/08

Drink once a week, and make it a cheat day. You'll be fine if you do so.

ST: Photo- Rimjobs and tummy rubs all around.
I am heaven sent, don't you dare forget.
Bayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:56 AM #9
Laureate
strength beyond strength

whats that workout called where you take in 1500 cal on the weekdays and 3000 cal on the weekends? i remember reading it and it say something like "and carb up with the beers on the weekend"
Old 09-04-2010, 09:11 AM #10
CrazyChunk

alcohol isn't that bad for the body, its simply useless calories that get you drunk, but wont really hurt your endgame unless you are trying to cut and lose fat, in which case, useless calories should not be consumed.

overall drinking in moderation is not bad for you, as long as you are not binge drinking 6 or 7 days a week, drinking to "catch a buzz" once or twice a week will be fine, but like i said before, they still count as calories, just your body can do anything with them. So if you really want to hammer down 1k calories of "**** you up liquid" that wont do anything for you, then be my guest.

Could also just enjoy some nice natural calorie free flower buds
CrazyChunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:20 AM #11
p8ntballoc11
Awaiting Email Confirmation

people on here are way to concerned with drinking. i get smashed every weekend and i have a six pack and i'm always improving in the gym. maybe not as fast as i would be if i weren't drinking but w/e. i'm in college and i'm not trying to be mr. olympia.

drinking does not make your day at the gym useless. at all.
the creatine has entered my veins. i can feel it raging inside of me. i look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. i become scared of my own strength. mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door...i dont want her to see me like this. moments later i catch myself looking at myself in the mirror...i can barely recognize myself.

then i remember the internet is down...and im forced to jack off to thoughts of a girl in my class into a sock. i watch the george lopez show then go to sleep"
p8ntballoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:30 AM #12
robbie_vlad
Shake N' Bake

robbie_vlad is playing at Living Legends III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
whats that workout called where you take in 1500 cal on the weekdays and 3000 cal on the weekends? i remember reading it and it say something like "and carb up with the beers on the weekend"
I think it's called "Stupid".

srs, sounds like a retarded plan....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyChunk View Post
Could also just enjoy some nice natural calorie free flower buds

This if you're not an endurance athlete (which I am, so I'm out...).

Last edited by robbie_vlad : 09-04-2010 at 12:08 PM.
robbie_vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:46 AM #13
kingbacuraflip22
Fking ANIMAL

Depends on big you want to get and how dedicated you are.

I stopped drinking when I got serious about bodybuilding. I have a drink or two every 3+ months depending on the occasion. The last time I got wasted was August and the time before was January.

There are many articles that state the side effects of alcohol on bodybuilding.

Here's an exert from one.
Quote:
Although alcohol is absorbed rapidly it is metabolized very slowly and its effects may still impact athletic performance up to 48 hours after the last drink.

Assuming the athlete is performing within 48 hours of its consumption, as little as two to three standard drinks can directly:
# Decrease strength

# Impair reaction time

# Impair balance and eye/hand coordination

# Impair fine motor and gross motor coordination

# Increase fatigue:
Liver function is significantly impacted following the ingestion of alcohol. Up to 48 hours after the last drink the liver may still be metabolizing alcohol at the expense of glycogen (metabolized carbohydrate).

# Given that glycogen is vital for most of the body's cellular functions, body fatigue, cognitive decline and loss of strength will result when it cannot be used efficiently. Reaction time, balance, coordination are also impacted by this process in addition to the direct aforementioned neurochemical effects alcohol has on the brain.

# Interfere with body temperature regulation

# Cause dehydration:
Alcohol has an impact on kidney function, which interferes with the regulation of electrolytes and fluids in the body. Cellular waste removal and nutrient supply are the main functions of fluid and electrolytes, which are controlled through kidney function.

# The kidneys filter large amounts of water from many parts of the body, including the brain, to break down alcohol. This causes dehydration and can cripple an athletes performance.

# Deplete aerobic capacity and negatively impact endurance
for up to 48 hours after the last drink

# Impact cellular repair:
Protein metabolism is negatively impacted when alcohol is in the system. This has obvious implications for muscle repair.

# Impacts the cardiovascular system:
Alcohol consumption raises blood pressure and this can result in the heart having work harder to pump blood through the body. An abnormally fast heart beat (tachycardia) can also result from alcohol consumption. Further, alcohol increases the synthesis of cholesterol and this can increase the risk of coronary heart disease.

# Disrupt sleep:
Alcohol significantly interferes with restful sleep. It can make falling to sleep easier to begin with due to its sedative effects but the quality of sleep (particularly rapid eye movement) will be disturbed.

# Cause vitamin and mineral depletion:
Vitamins and minerals so necessary for our health have their absorption interfered with, while the body's own supply are slowly depleted, when alcohol is consumed. Even one or two drinks per day (supposedly the "recommended" amount) can have this effect. B vitamins, which have important enzymatic and metabolic functions are depleted extra rapidly.

# This deleteriously effects the heart, liver, thyroid and kidneys. Vitamin A is also depleted and this interferes with the body's ability to fight disease. Vitamin C depletion makes one susceptible to anemia. Also, when alcohol is ingested the body excretes calcium at twice the normal rate, thus impacting on bone growth and wound healing.

# Cause cognitive impairment:
cognitive impairment (disruption of thought processes and brain damage) occur through a number of mechanisms. Alcohol related sleep disruption contributes to the insufficient restoration of ones neural processes. The effects of GABA-A stimulation, as explained, have been shown to contribute to neural death.

# Lack of glycogen to the brain, as a result of alcohol metabolism, causes slow, disoriented, thinking. These are just some factors. There are many more. The implications of cognitive impairment are severe for athletes: loss of motivation, focus and desire in addition to lessened perspicacity and even neuromuscular response.

The effects outlined here are just some of the more obvious ones. There are many others, and it would probably take a book to outline and explain them in sufficient detail.

Conclusion

Even though alcohol will greatly impact performance 25 to 48 hours after the last drink, it has longer lasting, more indirect, effects. The reduction in quality of training and sleep in the period after its consumption, may cause a reduction in performance over the days following this period.

So it is probably best to stay away from alcohol completely when training and competing to win. Indeed, the only real way to avoid alcohol's effects is to refrain from its use completely.

kingbacuraflip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:22 AM #14
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

When I was in Germany I had 1 beer a day, sometimes 2. I came back 2.5lbs lighter and my PT score was better than it was last semester. So just saying...if you train hard you can have some leeway.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:58 AM #15
damico

damico is a Supporting Member
damico plays in the PSP
damico owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
damico plays in the APPA D4 division
If you're not trying to compete or just going to the gym for a hobby, I would have some fun in college. I personally dont think it makes that big of an impact on your physique unless you're a complete drunk. I know plenty of big dudes in my gym and among my friends that get trashed every weekend.
damico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:13 PM #16
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_vlad View Post
I think it's called "Stupid".

srs, sounds like a retarded plan....
didn't ask if it was stupid. i asked what it was called. it is somewhere on t-nation
Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 PM #17
robbie_vlad
Shake N' Bake

robbie_vlad is playing at Living Legends III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
didn't ask if it was stupid. i asked what it was called. it is somewhere on t-nation
I have heard that beer is a better antioxidant then green tea, even though that still doesn't answer your question...
Old 09-04-2010, 07:51 PM #18
CDNX
East Coast Trash

Hey man, some of these people are wacko!

I'm in university too man, and I drink (like hammered drunk) 1-2 times a week. I like my rum and vodka. That being said man I am willing to say I am probably in better shape than 90% of the people on here, if not more.

Basically dude, you can drink and work out and have results. I am living proof.
NOW I will also say though that you would get better results not drinking... Alcohol is poison for the body... Stay away from beer because it's packed with calories (tequila shots are THE best thing you can drink for drunkness/calorie ratio; if I remember correctly 1 tequila shot is 90 cals.)

But these guys who say dont work out until you are 100% commited is garbage...

Final note on working out.... it is 90% Diet man, eat clean foods. You will see results weekly strength wise and physique wise.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:53 PM #19
p8ntballoc11
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNX View Post

I'm in university too man, and I drink (like hammered drunk) 1-2 times a week. I like my rum and vodka. That being said man I am willing to say I am probably in better shape than 90% of the people on here, if not more.

NOW I will also say though that you would get better results not drinking... Alcohol is poison for the body... Stay away from beer because it's packed with calories (tequila shots are THE best thing you can drink for drunkness/calorie ratio; if I remember correctly 1 tequila shot is 90 cals.)

Final note on working out.... it is 90% Diet man, eat clean foods. You will see results weekly strength wise and physique wise.
bold assumption
the creatine has entered my veins. i can feel it raging inside of me. i look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. i become scared of my own strength. mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door...i dont want her to see me like this. moments later i catch myself looking at myself in the mirror...i can barely recognize myself.

then i remember the internet is down...and im forced to jack off to thoughts of a girl in my class into a sock. i watch the george lopez show then go to sleep"
p8ntballoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:32 PM #20
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

Lurker said a while ago drinking is pretty low on the list of things that limit you in the gym. It doesn't help but it's not the worst thing you could do. There are plenty of guys that get big and drink a lot in college.
Jlausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:44 PM #21
LostFaction15
///Madeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNX View Post

lets see this living proof

King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me

LostFaction15 is offline   Reply With Quote