ReplyRegional Ups

Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 PM #43
lmumbower

I reckon tomorrow at 5
lmumbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:49 PM #44
nsquared

I'm back

Sorry I was gone for so long. I had to go to a vet convention in New Orleans from Friday-Sunday. I don't know if I can make practice today or tommorrow because of surgery lab but I may just come over to the field when I get out(~5:30ish...) and watch. Expect me to to suit up again this Wed, Thurs, Fri at 5:00pm for sure. What are the plans for the CHF tourny? I need to start working towards freeing up that chunk of time.
-Nick
nsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:17 PM #45
MStatefan77

MStatefan77 is an NCPA player
MStatefan77 plays in the APPA beginner division
Who is registering us for the tournament? We need money and the APPA number of everyone playing. I think Jake has some APPA numbers. We need to register ASAP.

Jake let us know how to pay you and how much...
Old 09-13-2010, 01:41 PM #46
jakes78

jakes78 plays in the PSP
jakes78 is an NCPA player
jakes78 plays in the APPA D3 division
It's been a strictly football weekend. Let's meet at the field at 5. Whether we do anything is up to you guys. I just want to know if we can get 6 or 7 to play this Saturday. I have everything set up as far as our team registered with APPA, 6 players APPA number, and an account to pay our entry.

Cost will be about $112 with 7 and about $130 with 6.

We have Matt, Timothy, and myself that are sure we can play. Ralph, Nick, Aaron and Robert as maybes, and Landon coaching. Carl turned down coming out of retirement.

Other teams are going on zero practice as throw togethers, so let's just go have fun and play ball.

Last edited by jakes78 : 09-13-2010 at 01:56 PM.
jakes78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM #47
dawgball8

we having practice today? and do we have a scuba filled so we can get air for our tanks?
dawgball8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:48 AM #48
MStatefan77

I have the scooba tank in the car. I cant make it to practice today so I'll drop it off with landon or jake
Old 09-15-2010, 10:43 PM #49
jakes78

jakes78 plays in the PSP
We're paid up and good to go.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:26 AM #50
MStatefan77

awesome...when does everybody want to leave. I think Jake talked about going down tonight? Can everybody do that. We could crash at his place
Old 09-17-2010, 12:15 PM #51
nsquared

I really need to carpool with someone... it would cost me about $120 to drive there and back... I can leave anytime from 6pm onward tonight.
-Nick
Old 09-17-2010, 12:23 PM #52
jakes78

jakes78 plays in the PSP
Our schedule isn't up yet, but should be today. I paid entry, so I need $40 from everyone. Total per person should be about $150 with entry and paint. Change your batteries and all that good stuff. Jerseys for AA isn't necessary so any long sleeve will do. They don't have to match.

Some guys are practicing today at 4. I'm going to be out there, text me if you plan on coming. Let's plan to be at the field at 8 Saturday morning. If you're coming up Friday night and crashing at my house, just text me.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:39 PM #53
kingdom39571

I can leave whenever, If someone needs a ride I can probably do that.
kingdom39571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:31 PM #54
nsquared

give me a call 1-734-718-3426
-Nick
Old 09-18-2010, 08:08 PM #55
nsquared

Ole Miss Tournament

Well the tournament ended and here's my thoughts...
Pros-
Its not impossible for us to become a contender in this league
we got better throughout the day (leads me to believe if we actually start practicing together we can get better fast)
no one got hurt (except on the inside)
we do a good analysis in between the games and adapt our plan accordingly
We didn't need anything we didn't have
We had someone to help fill pods/ watch our stuff (honestly the biggest advantage we had going for us)

Cons-
communication
no coach
losing
guns going down
I got accused of cheating... boo
losing guys off the break

Honestly I never expected to come out and dominate the league or even be in the middle of the pack. I think we're on the right track and just need to play more. Also, I want to win a game. really really bad.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:34 AM #56
ColdFuzion
BUST!

Quote:
Cons-
communication
no coach
losing guys off the break
It's only the first tournament, no reason to get disheartened over it. I like that you mentioned the things you thought could have been improved upon though, that's something we all need to be able to do if we want to progress. No one is perfect, even our best players still have room for improvement, so if we can talk about what we are doing wrong without getting upset with each other then we can do better in future tournaments.

The cons I quoted are all ones I think we could easily fix. Every team I've ever played on just says "communication is good" and leaves it at that, they haven't really emphasized it as much as I would have liked. I think that practicing communication is as crucial as practicing shooting drills honestly. If we have really good front men but they don't get enough information from the backs, why even have the front men in the first place since they'll basically be in a snake, blind, and have no idea where to shoot? Or if our mids/backs aren't talking to each other about which opponent they're watching, we could end up with three guns on one opponent player while the other four opponents don't have any pressure on them, for example. It may not sound too fun, but I really think that we should do drills like 2v2, 3v3, or 5v5 where one player doesn't have a gun and their job is to relay information to everyone else, then after one game like that make a different person play without a gun, and repeat until everyone has had to play a game without a gun. Also, switching our guys up in some practices and having the backs play front and the fronts play back for a few games will let the back players really figure out what the front players want the back players to tell them during games. One other thing is we should all agree on bunker names for each layout we use, because it's a pain when you have some people numbering doritos differently than you are or three people yelling different names for the same bunker, that makes it hard to understand. I'm pretty sure that if we practice communication it will help us win more games than if we practice snap shooting though haha. Of course, all this about 2v2/3v3/5v5 is assuming we have the people and bunkers for that kind of thing. And I was busy last week, you guys may have done some communication practice that I don't know about, so no hard feelings if that's the case--I just don't think communication should be a problem, especially once we get to know each other and each others' play styles better.

As for coaching, kinda similar to communication, I think we should have people (or one dedicated coach, if we have someone who's said that all they want to do is coach at tournaments) practice coaching a little bit during drills, even if it's only like having someone coach us once a week during drills. That way the coach and players are on the same page on what each bunker is called and the coach will also get used to giving our guys a precise list of every detail they need to know about the opponents.

Losing people off the break is also one thing I've noticed the teams I've played on not worry about as much as I feel like they should. Losing even one person in the first ten seconds or so is a HUGE setback, we all know that. Paintball isn't just about the shooting; it's just as important to be a good runner and be good at not getting laned off the break. If everyone is decently quick and can predict where the opponent is likely to lane off the break, it's pretty easy to do something about it (for instance, delay your run till the guy stops laning and tries to run to his bunker, then either lane him right back or get to your bunker, also just taking different paths to your bunker can save you from getting laned--run a few feet back from your bunker, that may give you enough space between the guy laning and yourself to get a bounce instead of a break, etc.). Idk about y'all, but I wouldn't be opposed to having a bit of working out during practices, like starting every practice with a decently long run in all of our playing gear, maybe some jumping jacks or push ups or something too. If we want to be competitive, being in shape will be a huge help, and I know I'm not in the best shape at all. If we're looking to take first at tournaments, then being able to play as aggressively in the last matches of the day as we did in the first matches of the day will be important.

These are just my thoughts, I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad or anything like that, just trying to mention things I think would be helpful based on my past experiences with several teams. Every team I've played on in the past was eager to practice by just playing 5v5s, which is helpful but doesn't address specific problems the teams have had as much as doing drills tailored to certain aspects of playing. While playing games is more fun than drills, to really do well we're gonna have to get good at the things that may not be as fun to practice. Also, like I said, I wasn't at any practices last week, so if you guys did any of the things that I said then that's good to know. I'm not trying to sound too serious though, I realize it's just a game and the point is to have fun with some friends. I just think that if practiced seriously enough and started placing higher in tournaments we would all enjoy it more, and I know we're capable based on the one practice I went to. We definitely have some good players (for sure better than me, I won't lie), and the ones that weren't as experienced seemed willing to learn more. I'll put in as much time and effort as you guys are all willing to; if y'all just want to mess around and not be as serious as we could, then that still sounds like fun to me, but if you want to have harder practices and start kicking some *** then I'm interested in that as well.

Hopefully everyone had a good time at the tournament, I'm sorry I couldn't make it there or to practices this week, I only had $50 in my bank account all week and I had a paper and three tests. If I'm completely wrong about something I said in my long *** post, don't hesitate to correct me, haha. When is the next practice? I'm coming for sure, this week is looking less busy for me.

Feedback
ColdFuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:14 PM #57
nsquared

NCPA Rankings

So... We did not finish last in the tournament!
14th out of 15 teams. I was looking at the teams we played and... I believe 2 of them finished in the top 4 of the tournament.

Also, We are 26th in the nation in the AA division!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:53 PM #58
OneToExist
The only One.

OneToExist has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You guys have no reason to hang your head. You did get better throughout the day, and I did my best coaching early, but you do need a dedicated coach.. One thing I saw that you guys haven't talked about is dominance. The right temple player of yours might want to think about shooting more, and shooting himself into the doritos. Come up to CHF for a few practices on Sundays. We'll be practicing for Cup and you guys will definitely be able to get some good practice in.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:53 PM #59
tickyticky
Hal Reece

tickyticky donated to help Peyton Trent
tickyticky is an NCPA player
tickyticky plays in the APPA D4 division
Ya'll played well for your first time. Keep chugging along and it will catch on. This league is not as easy to make it in as a lot of people have made it out to be. There is always a mixture of lower and mid level teams coming in and out...but it is the teams that go hard in and out of tournaments that end up rising to the top.

Like Trey said above me...come out to CHF at least once a month if not two or three times. It will make all the difference.
tickyticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:09 PM #60
cockerman dan
Ole Miss Alum

cockerman dan owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cockerman dan is an NCPA player
cockerman dan plays in the APPA D4 division
in case the above folks have not made it clear, we want you guys come and play with us at chf. it will be more fun for us both and you guys will get awesome practice. It really is worth the drive. When I was at state, I thought that the on campus field would be enough, but take it from me when I say it ain't. There is nothing like being able to practice as a team with good, consistent competition and more opinions and advice to go off of. That's how we started getting good- learning from the experienced players at chf. I'm not trying to say that you guys are nubs and we are paintball gods, but there are a lot of experienced players at chf besides us that would be willing to help you out.

think about it. we await your answer.

hotty toddy
cockerman dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:10 PM #61
MStatefan77

yeah I completely agree with ya ^
For most of us its just a lack of money to play thats the biggest hindrance right now. I'm going to try to come play a couple of weekends a month at CHF but paintball is just expensive. But yeah, practicing at CHF is going to make us better than doing it at our field.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM #62
lmumbower

MStatefan77 said it best when the cost of paintball is high and being a poor college student doesn't help. We're running what small drills we can on our field but running with experienced players that are offering help and going to a place with an actual field (bunkers, size, air...). We appreciate y'all reaching out and will try to work out some dates that we can come to practice with y'all. I think we've all said it on our team, "We can only get better"
lmumbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:02 PM #63
sfl_09

sfl_09 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
hey i play for oxford but live here and was wondering if i could just come play with you guys... idk what time ur field is open and what not so will you txt me yalls field times and ill show up one day...

662 251 5313
sfl_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups