PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-02-2010, 11:16 AM #22
ChrisPBFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by averydabeast View Post
ok so today i ate chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. ran 7 miles during athletic pe for cross country. ate a protein bar. ate a chicken sandwich, sunchips, an apple, and milk for lunch. When i got home from school i ate a peanut butter and nutella sandwich. and for dinner ate 3 ground beef tacos.
Not bad considering your current size, but like I said before, if you want to add size and the scale isn't moving, you simply need to eat more. One good tip/mindset tweak is to try getting more calories per bite of food.

Sounds funny, but it's the little things that add up in the long run. Examples: add some butter to the pancakes and drink some juice with a little protein powder, grab some milk with your protein bar, put mayo on the chicken sandwich (or another piece of chicken!) and have chocolate milk instead of plain, add guacamole/sour cream/cheese to the tacos.

Something to keep in mind though, after any long run, you need to replenish those calories ASAP, in the very next meal. Running 7 miles and then having a protein bar that's maybe 300 calories won't cut it and will keep you from building strength and muscle.

Also, hard boiled eggs and whole milk are two of the most convenient and overall nutritious foods you can have. You can even remove the shells from a bunch of boiled eggs and keep them in the fridge for a week or so.

Quote:
Right now its cross country season so i have practice monday-saturday and i'm in an indoor lacrosse league that has a game every sunday. On mondays and wednesdays i have cross country practice first period in athletic pe and again in the afternoon. I might be able to lift tuesdays, thursdays, and maybe fridays but maybe not because i have a race most saturdays
That's a crazy schedule. When is cross country season done? Once you can cut back on the running volume, that'll really be the chance to attack it full throttle.

For now, anytime you have two workouts/practices/whatevers in the same day, those are the days when you really need to pound down the food because you're burning t-o-n-s of calories. Check out this Cure for Skinny article for some tips. Make sure you read about the "Hour of Power" and try to follow that whenever you have those two-a-day sessions.

Lifting-wise, I'm going to presume you're strong enough to do a dozen or so push-ups and lunges, and you know how to squat. Since you have so much sports practice right now, keep it basic-basic-basic. Something like Bill Starr's old school 5x5 or Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength would be a good start.

They'll be enough stimulus to build some strength and get the foundation in place for serious muscle gains once we can change things up. Remember we're looking for small changes over time, not trying to slap on 40 pounds by Thanksgiving.

You can also find Paintball Fitness on Facebook.
ChrisPBFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2010, 01:18 PM #23
p8ntballoc11
rack em'

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPBFit View Post
Not bad considering your current size, but like I said before, if you want to add size and the scale isn't moving, you simply need to eat more. One good tip/mindset tweak is to try getting more calories per bite of food.

Sounds funny, but it's the little things that add up in the long run. Examples: add some butter to the pancakes and drink some juice with a little protein powder, grab some milk with your protein bar, put mayo on the chicken sandwich (or another piece of chicken!) and have chocolate milk instead of plain, add guacamole/sour cream/cheese to the tacos.

Something to keep in mind though, after any long run, you need to replenish those calories ASAP, in the very next meal. Running 7 miles and then having a protein bar that's maybe 300 calories won't cut it and will keep you from building strength and muscle.

Also, hard boiled eggs and whole milk are two of the most convenient and overall nutritious foods you can have. You can even remove the shells from a bunch of boiled eggs and keep them in the fridge for a week or so.

That's a crazy schedule. When is cross country season done? Once you can cut back on the running volume, that'll really be the chance to attack it full throttle.

For now, anytime you have two workouts/practices/whatevers in the same day, those are the days when you really need to pound down the food because you're burning t-o-n-s of calories. Check out this Cure for Skinny article for some tips. Make sure you read about the "Hour of Power" and try to follow that whenever you have those two-a-day sessions.

Lifting-wise, I'm going to presume you're strong enough to do a dozen or so push-ups and lunges, and you know how to squat. Since you have so much sports practice right now, keep it basic-basic-basic. Something like Bill Starr's old school 5x5 or Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength would be a good start.

They'll be enough stimulus to build some strength and get the foundation in place for serious muscle gains once we can change things up. Remember we're looking for small changes over time, not trying to slap on 40 pounds by Thanksgiving.

adding in straight fat into his meals won't help him stay fast. that will just get him fat. runners don't like carrying extra body fat. just eat more carbs and protein. supplementing fat is a bad idea IMO. even if he is 112 pounds. he's a cross country runner not a football player.

it's best for runners to put on weight slowly. just up your calories (good calories, not maynoaise and butter). drink more milk, eat more peanutbutter sammies, eat more cereal and chicken sammies. just more.
the creatine has entered my veins. i can feel it raging inside of me. i look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. i become scared of my own strength. mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door...i dont want her to see me like this. moments later i catch myself looking at myself in the mirror...i can barely recognize myself.

then i remember the internet is down...and im forced to jack off to thoughts of a girl in my class into a sock. i watch the george lopez show then go to sleep"
p8ntballoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:31 PM #24
ChrisPBFit

A couple of things...
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballoc11 View Post
adding in straight fat into his meals won't help him stay fast. that will just get him fat.
Incorrect. Adding an excess of calories will "get him fat", whether they come from fats, protein, or carbs. Yes, fats are more calorie-dense, but the bottom line is that the dude is eating X amount and needs to eat more. Instead of adding 400-500 calories per meal, I'm suggesting he add something like 100-200 per meal.

With all the running he's doing, his body sees carbs as fuel, so we need to give him a calorie source that he can actually store. Adding the calories from fat allows him to continue using the carbs for fuel and encourages the body to put the fats and protein to better use.

Quote:
runners don't like carrying extra body fat.
True, but he's already underweight, so extra bodyfat isn't a huge concern just yet.

Quote:
just eat more carbs and protein. supplementing fat is a bad idea IMO.
"Eat more fat = get more fat" is leftover diet fad nonsense from the 1970s and '80s. We've learned much more useful strategies since then. One of which being that healthy sources of fat (olive oil, dairy, avocado, nuts) are not the cause of increased bodyfat. Bodyfat increases as a result of taking in more total daily calories than are burned (basically).

Quote:
even if he is 112 pounds. he's a cross country runner not a football player.
He's also a lacrosse player. Not sure what you're getting at here. What? That he shouldn't focus on building lean muscle? Carbs and fat are protein-sparing, meaning that if he eats enough of them, his body will "want" to use any protein to build and repair muscles... and if he doesn't eat enough of both, protein can be burned as an fuel source.

Quote:
it's best for runners to put on weight slowly.
I agree, which is why I already said - two or three times - that it's a slow process.

Quote:
just up your calories (good calories, not maynoaise and butter). drink more milk, eat more peanutbutter sammies, eat more cereal and chicken sammies. just more.
Again, you're recommending increasing his total daily calories much more drastically than I am, and doing too much, too soon is what leads to increased bodyfat.

Also, from a practical, real-life perspective, do you think it's going to be easier for an underweight trainee to suddenly be able to eat an entire extra sandwich or two with each meal or will it be easier for him to "sneak" more calories into the meals he's already eating?

It's not exactly ideal, but as I said, between his current underweight status and his extreme training schedule, gaining bodyfat is pretty low on the list of worries. You need to remember that the dude is training nine times a week! This kid is about as likely to gain bodyfat as I am to hook up with Jessica Biel.

You can also find Paintball Fitness on Facebook.
ChrisPBFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:51 PM #25
p8ntballoc11
rack em'

i came into college weighing 113. i know more about his build than anyone else on here.

more carbs and more protein. excess carbs and protein will be stored as fat. he doesn't need to supplement fat. it should already be in the carbs and protein he eats.
the creatine has entered my veins. i can feel it raging inside of me. i look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. i become scared of my own strength. mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door...i dont want her to see me like this. moments later i catch myself looking at myself in the mirror...i can barely recognize myself.

then i remember the internet is down...and im forced to jack off to thoughts of a girl in my class into a sock. i watch the george lopez show then go to sleep"
p8ntballoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 PM #26
peltco123 (Banned)
It's hot in this place

peltco123 is a Professional paintball player
peltco123 plays in the PSP
peltco123 plays in the APPA D2 division
You should not avoid fats entirely. There are plenty of healthy fats.

40/40/20
peltco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM #27
mvpsteve

mvpsteve owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by peltco123 View Post
115lbs - 5'7"? Either you weigh much more than 115 or you are much shorter than 5'7" or you are infact freakish skinny/small.

At 5'3" 120 I was small, at 5'3" 160 I still felt small and right now at 5'3" 150 I still feel small, hopefully when I am 170+ I will start to feel "big".
your 5' 3" wow im a short *** too im 5 2 160

MOUNTAINVIEWPAINTBALL.COM
mvpsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 PM #28
peltco123 (Banned)
It's hot in this place

5'2" 160? You must be decently sized being shorter than me and weighing more.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:12 PM #29
averydabeast

averydabeast helped look for balloons
averydabeast is playing at Living Legends V
averydabeast supports Team VICIOUS
averydabeast posts videos on PbNation
averydabeast has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPBFit View Post
i can do atleast 50 pushups, 20 pullups, and i did 75 sit ups in a minute.
bad news is i now have lacrosse practice afterschool everyday so my schedule will look like this
monday:running in the morning, lacrosse afterschool, cross country workout
tuesday:running in the morning, lacrosse afterschool
wednesday:running in the morning, lacrosse afterschool, crosscountry workout
thursday:running in the morning, lacrosse afterschool
friday: triathalon for cross country
saturday: cross country race
sunday: lacrosse game

i doubt i'll have the time or energy to workout much.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 PM #30
Laureate
strength beyond strength

the real st:f answer:
"
well first off, you're not going win states with those ****ty times. which means you're going to end up being ****ING LOSER, and a WEAK ***** (a little *****).

you're better off going to your gnc, buying some NO Xplode and creatine (you have to wait til the store is empty and ask for "the stuff"), then go to the Y and throw some weights around. in other words, do bench for about an hour, curls for 20-25 minutes, then about an a half hour of abs.

after about 4 weeks you'll be jacked as **** (obviously cause of the creatine), and you'll want to start wearing wife-beaters for shirts.

oh ya, and make sure to post pictures on your myspace of you in the mirror with your shirt off in a gay little pose after the first day you have worked out (because you probably think that a day at the gym got you jacked as **** (remember though, it takes 4 days)"

but that's just st:f, not me.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:50 AM #31
averydabeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
the real st:f answer:
"
well first off, you're not going win states with those ****ty times. which means you're going to end up being ****ING LOSER, and a WEAK ***** (a little *****).

you're better off going to your gnc, buying some NO Xplode and creatine (you have to wait til the store is empty and ask for "the stuff"), then go to the Y and throw some weights around. in other words, do bench for about an hour, curls for 20-25 minutes, then about an a half hour of abs.

after about 4 weeks you'll be jacked as **** (obviously cause of the creatine), and you'll want to start wearing wife-beaters for shirts.

oh ya, and make sure to post pictures on your myspace of you in the mirror with your shirt off in a gay little pose after the first day you have worked out (because you probably think that a day at the gym got you jacked as **** (remember though, it takes 4 days)"

but that's just st:f, not me.
thanks for the troll
Old 09-03-2010, 02:27 PM #32
mvpsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by peltco123 View Post
5'2" 160? You must be decently sized being shorter than me and weighing more.
yea i think my head is to small for my body now so latly just working on getting more defined i wanna try and keep my weight but i know i will lose some

Old 09-03-2010, 02:30 PM #33
peltco123 (Banned)
It's hot in this place

Pics?! No bromo...

If you aren't frauding you would be one of the bigger LOOKING people on this forum.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:35 PM #34
mvpsteve

at work at the moment but ill put pix up tomorrow.... side note i used to be a fat *** at 200 (fat) then worked my way down to 140 then back up to now

Last edited by mvpsteve : 09-03-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:17 PM #35
inuyasharox4776
Its fun to do bad things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by averydabeast View Post
thanks for the troll
I'm not going to go into detail about my XC and Track, but I was consistently top 15 in the toughest league in California (Foothill League). If you want to cut down your times, run hills faster, and be competitive in cross country, lift heavy ****, lift it often, and eat a ****load. Do your olympic lifts and leave out isolation workouts. Bicep curls will not help you for cross country.
inuyasharox4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:43 AM #36
averydabeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasharox4776 View Post
I'm not going to go into detail about my XC and Track, but I was consistently top 15 in the toughest league in California (Foothill League). If you want to cut down your times, run hills faster, and be competitive in cross country, lift heavy ****, lift it often, and eat a ****load. Do your olympic lifts and leave out isolation workouts. Bicep curls will not help you for cross country.
really? what school do you go to?
Old 09-05-2010, 04:33 AM #37
inuyasharox4776
Its fun to do bad things.

I went to Valencia High School.
inuyasharox4776 is offline   Reply With Quote