Community Focus

Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 PM #1
averydabeast

averydabeast helped look for balloons
averydabeast is playing at Living Legends V
averydabeast supports Team VICIOUS
averydabeast posts videos on PbNation
averydabeast has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
whats the best way to gain strength without losing speed?

I'm 15, a sophomore in highschool, and about 5'7 115. i run varsity cross country and play varsity lacrosse. I run about a 5:20 mile and a 16:30 5k. i want to be able to hit harder and throw harder in lacrosse, but still stay fast. I'm not on any supplements, but i'm open to taking some aslong as they don't have any bad side effects.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:02 AM #2
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

There are kids that are 5'7 160, in better shape/faster than you.

You need to gain 40lbs so you're not Ethiopian.
Jlausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 AM #3
inuyasharox4776
Its fun to do bad things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by averydabeast View Post
I'm 15, a sophomore in highschool, and about 5'7 115. i run varsity cross country and play varsity lacrosse. I run about a 5:20 mile and a 16:30 5k. i want to be able to hit harder and throw harder in lacrosse, but still stay fast. I'm not on any supplements, but i'm open to taking some aslong as they don't have any bad side effects.
I was 6'3 160 in highschool, I was running 15:55 5k's, 4:35 1600m, 800m. Go eat a hamburger or 7. First off, lifting helped my times so much. Go lift heavy ****. Second, supplements are only good when your diet and fitness is maintained.
inuyasharox4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 AM #4
averydabeast

i'm not like skinny or bony looking just kinda small. i have to run atleast 5 miles everyday for cross country and i eat all the time.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 AM #5
Twenty4/7_Ep3
GangSTA

quit doing ***** *** cross country and lift weights and be good at lacrosse.

kenny powers said it best. play real sports not be the best at excersise.

friend of mine ran cc growing up and sophmore year he joined the wrestling team a twig and got hooked on working out and quit doing cc.

he would always say i want to be in the fight not the best at running away from it.

now hes 220 lbs ripped and got a scolarship to play football at some smaller school in ohio. dude has like 19 inch arms.
1992 Civic Street

Last edited by Twenty4/7_Ep3 : 09-01-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Twenty4/7_Ep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 AM #6
peltco123 (Banned)
It's hot in this place

peltco123 is a Professional paintball player
peltco123 plays in the PSP
peltco123 plays in the APPA D2 division
115lbs - 5'7"? Either you weigh much more than 115 or you are much shorter than 5'7" or you are infact freakish skinny/small.

At 5'3" 120 I was small, at 5'3" 160 I still felt small and right now at 5'3" 150 I still feel small, hopefully when I am 170+ I will start to feel "big".
peltco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:42 AM #7
p8ntballoc11
rack em'

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peltco123 View Post
115lbs - 5'7"? Either you weigh much more than 115 or you are much shorter than 5'7" or you are infact freakish skinny/small.

At 5'3" 120 I was small, at 5'3" 160 I still felt small and right now at 5'3" 150 I still feel small, hopefully when I am 170+ I will start to feel "big".
i was 5'7 113 when i came into college. some people have really small bone structure and without trying are extremely small.

but alright i'm a runner as well. just lift weights (bench, squat, deadlift, ect.) AND continue to run like you have been doing. you may have to take off 2-3 days a week from running to lift but even if you do you'll be fine. my times did not decrease and i put on muscle.

edit: as long as you continue running HARD like you have been doing you'll be fine. my 800 and 400 time actually went down a lot when i started lifting.
the creatine has entered my veins. i can feel it raging inside of me. i look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. i become scared of my own strength. mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door...i dont want her to see me like this. moments later i catch myself looking at myself in the mirror...i can barely recognize myself.

then i remember the internet is down...and im forced to jack off to thoughts of a girl in my class into a sock. i watch the george lopez show then go to sleep"

Last edited by p8ntballoc11 : 09-01-2010 at 10:45 AM.
p8ntballoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:06 PM #8
ChrisPBFit

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote:
It isn't the greatest pic, but above is former WEC champ Urijah Faber. He's 5'6" and a lean 145 pounds there, and he's stupid fast in his sport.

If you focus on gaining at least 30 solid pounds of muscle over the next year or so, you'll become a much better lacrosse player. As long as you keep your crosscountry practices in place, you won't lose speed. To put it simply... muscle will not slow you down, extra bodyfat will.

It will help to prioritize. Which is more important right now... gaining size for lacrosse or being competitive in cross country? That'll depend on where you are in the seasons. You can't run at 100%, and eat to gain muscle, and play lacrosse at 100%, and lift with 100% intensity all at the same time.

If you're right in the middle of cross country, for example, you're going to need to eat a TON of food to compensate and give your body what it needs to grow. If you're not doing either sport right now, it'd be a good time to focus, get your lifting and eating sorted out, and make a specific plan of attack for the next few months (or however long until either season starts).

Quote:
i eat all the time.
What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

Whatever you're eating, if you want to gain size and aren't seeing results, then you aren't eating enough. This isn't something that "can or can't" work.

And just to directly answer your original question about gaining strength if you don't want to gain muscle, you need to lift heavier weights with fairly-low volume (total sets and reps). Weight class athletes like powerlifters, Olympic lifters, and wrestlers do it all the time. There comes a point when you need to add size to gain more strength, but the majority of people aren't anywhere near that limit.

You can also find Paintball Fitness on Facebook.
ChrisPBFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 PM #9
ChrisPBFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4/7_Ep3 View Post
kenny powers said it best. play real sports not be the best at excersise.
Ha! Kenny Powers and Urijah Faber...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oh6Vpuv844

Old 09-01-2010, 12:13 PM #10
Twenty4/7_Ep3
GangSTA

faber doesnt weigh 145 lbs. dont give the kid false hope lol.
1992 Civic Street
Old 09-01-2010, 12:47 PM #11
ChrisPBFit

Quote:
faber doesnt weigh 145 lbs. dont give the kid false hope lol.
Um... in that picture, he absolutely does, which is why I said it. It's a weigh-in pic from his fight vs. Jose Aldo. Actually, that day he was 144.5, so you got me.

Another angle from the same weigh-in (Faber on right)

Keep in mind, though, that he cut down to that and weighs more than 145 most of the time, for example, in that Kenny Powers vid. That's why I, again, specified he's a lean 145 in the pic.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:52 PM #12
Twenty4/7_Ep3
GangSTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPBFit View Post
Um... in that picture, he absolutely does, which is why I said it. It's a weigh-in pic from his fight vs. Jose Aldo. Actually, that day he was 144.5, so you got me.

Another angle from the same weigh-in (Faber on right)

Keep in mind, though, that he cut down to that and weighs more than 145 most of the time, for example, in that Kenny Powers vid. That's why I, again, specified he's a lean 145 in the pic.
like i didnt know it was a weigh in pic..

he has no water in his system. a normal hydrated person at 145 wouldnt look anything like him. he has another 15 lbs of muscle ATLEAST which on that frame is a massive amount.
1992 Civic Street
Old 09-01-2010, 05:49 PM #13
MeNaCe330
We Ballin Boy

Quote:
like i didnt know it was a weigh in pic..

he has no water in his system. a normal hydrated person at 145 wouldnt look anything like him. he has another 15 lbs of muscle ATLEAST which on that frame is a massive amount.
not to mention that not his walk around weight, hes prob 160-170lbs solid when hes not training.

MeNaCe330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:08 PM #14
averydabeast

ok so today i ate chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. ran 7 miles during athletic pe for cross country. ate a protein bar. ate a chicken sandwich, sunchips, an apple, and milk for lunch. When i got home from school i ate a peanut butter and nutella sandwich. and for dinner ate 3 ground beef tacos.

Right now its cross country season so i have practice monday-saturday and i'm in an indoor lacrosse league that has a game every sunday. On mondays and wednesdays i have cross country practice first period in athletic pe and again in the afternoon. I might be able to lift tuesdays, thursdays, and maybe fridays but maybe not because i have a race most saturdays
Old 09-01-2010, 06:16 PM #15
MeNaCe330
We Ballin Boy

Quote:
ok so today i ate chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. ran 7 miles during athletic pe for cross country. ate a protein bar. ate a chicken sandwich, sunchips, an apple, and milk for lunch. When i got home from school i ate a peanut butter and nutella sandwich. and for dinner ate 3 ground beef tacos.

Right now its cross country season so i have practice monday-saturday and i'm in an indoor lacrosse league that has a game every sunday. On mondays and wednesdays i have cross country practice first period in athletic pe and again in the afternoon. I might be able to lift tuesdays, thursdays, and maybe fridays but maybe not because i have a race most saturdays
dont eat like that either or your going to gain weight poorly... heres one of the old diets i used to follow for bulking up

Meal 1: Pro/Carb 8:00am
8 Egg Whites, 1 Scoop Of Whey Protein, 1 cup oatmeal
50g protein / 54g carbs / 5g fat

Meal 2: Pro/Fat 10:00am
Lean Ground Beef, 50g Cottage Cheese, green veggies
55g protein / 2g carbs / 20g fat

Meal 3: Pro/Carb 12:00pm
2 x Chicken Breast, 1 and a half cup Brown Rice
85g protein / 84g carbs / 3g Fat

Meal 4: Pro/Fat 2:00pm
2 Medium Cans of Tuna , Veggies
60g protein / 6g carbs / 10g Fat

Meal 5: PPWO 5.00pm
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, ½ cup Brown Rice (Measured Uncooked)
50g protein / 70g carbs / 3g fat

Meal 6: PWO Right After Training
2 Scoops Whey Protein / 80g of Dextrose
45g protein / 80g carbs / 0g fat

Meal 7: Pro/Fat 8-8:15pm
Lean Protein of your choice, 2 Tbsp Natural Peanut Butter
50g protein / 5g carbs / 18g fat

Meal 8: Before Bed 10:00pm
3 Scoops of Caseine Protein, 1.5 Tbsp. Flax Seed Oil
60g protein / 3g carbs / 21g Fat

Protein: 455grams - Carbs: 300grams – Fat: 80grams

Old 09-01-2010, 06:17 PM #16
MeNaCe330
We Ballin Boy

its all about calorie intake

Old 09-01-2010, 06:24 PM #17
robbie_vlad
Shake N' Bake

robbie_vlad is playing at Living Legends III
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNaCe330 View Post
dont eat like that either or your going to gain weight poorly... heres one of the old diets i used to follow for bulking up

Meal 1: Pro/Carb 8:00am
8 Egg Whites, 1 Scoop Of Whey Protein, 1 cup oatmeal
50g protein / 54g carbs / 5g fat

Meal 2: Pro/Fat 10:00am
Lean Ground Beef, 50g Cottage Cheese, green veggies
55g protein / 2g carbs / 20g fat

Meal 3: Pro/Carb 12:00pm
2 x Chicken Breast, 1 and a half cup Brown Rice
85g protein / 84g carbs / 3g Fat

Meal 4: Pro/Fat 2:00pm
2 Medium Cans of Tuna , Veggies
60g protein / 6g carbs / 10g Fat

Meal 5: PPWO 5.00pm
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, ½ cup Brown Rice (Measured Uncooked)
50g protein / 70g carbs / 3g fat

Meal 6: PWO Right After Training
2 Scoops Whey Protein / 80g of Dextrose
45g protein / 80g carbs / 0g fat

Meal 7: Pro/Fat 8-8:15pm
Lean Protein of your choice, 2 Tbsp Natural Peanut Butter
50g protein / 5g carbs / 18g fat

Meal 8: Before Bed 10:00pm
3 Scoops of Caseine Protein, 1.5 Tbsp. Flax Seed Oil
60g protein / 3g carbs / 21g Fat

Protein: 455grams - Carbs: 300grams – Fat: 80grams

That is a retarded amount of protein/protein powder...you could lose 4 of the shakes (have 1 whey PWO with some carbs, 1 casein before bed) and fill in some more carbs and a bit more healthy fats IMO. Plus, someone his size probably doesn't need 4000 calories/day, even with his activity level. 200g protein/350g carbs/100g fat would do better for him, plus the extra fats (provided he gets a good amount of Ω3) would help spare his joints from all the running he does.

Last edited by robbie_vlad : 09-01-2010 at 06:27 PM.
robbie_vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:29 PM #18
MeNaCe330
We Ballin Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_vlad View Post
That is a retarded amount of protein/protein powder...you could lose 4 of the shakes (have 1 whey PWO with some carbs, 1 casein before bed) and fill in some more carbs and a bit more healthy fats IMO. Plus, someone his size probably doesn't need 4000 calories/day, even with his activity level. 200g protein/350g carbs/100g fat would do better for him, plus the extra fats (provided he gets a good amount of Ω3) would help spare his joints from all the running he does.
i never said for him to copy it just an idea, it was a bulking phase i went through a while ago to get to 200lbs...now im back at 187lb...might use it to get back though

Old 09-01-2010, 06:31 PM #19
robbie_vlad
Shake N' Bake

robbie_vlad is playing at Living Legends III
Quote:
i never said for him to copy it just an idea, it was a bulking phase i went through a while ago to get to 200lbs...now im back at 187lb...might use it to get back though
Ah I gotcha. Well if it works for you, I just feel like I'd be constipated like a mother ****er if I ate that much protein....
Old 09-01-2010, 06:36 PM #20
MeNaCe330
We Ballin Boy

i was actually ****ting my life away along with death farts...felt like a champ though...had me sleeping like a baby also he can cut the meals by adjusting a meal every 3 hours instead of 2 and in place of the dextrose i would use amino acids (amino fuel)

Old 09-01-2010, 09:29 PM #21
peltco123 (Banned)
It's hot in this place

peltco123 is a Professional paintball player
peltco123 plays in the PSP
peltco123 plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
What kind of dumb moron bulks on 450 grams of protein a day? Should have had the carbs at 450 grams not the protein. Stop drinking so many shakes btw...
peltco123 is offline   Reply With Quote