PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:14 AM #22
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Unicycle: less weight, less air resistance due to less surface area, and less road friction. There are two issues. One is that some of the rider's energy is going into balance rather than pure speed. However, the faster you go, the less effort balance takes and the more stable you become. There comes a point where you can basically lean on the wind. The second is that relative to it's rearmost ground contact point a bicycle's CoG is much further forward, meaning it can keep accelerating despite very high wind resistance. That said there's no reason why a uni rider couldn't lean forward a lot more than usual and do the same.

The real question is whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantage enough to match speed. Nobody really knows without trying it.

Btw the current unicycle hour record is 30k, compared to a current cycle record of about 56k. That's on a very low gear with no proper handlebars and a unicycle designed for distance, not speed. Also, the rider was super uncomfortable and had no budget. I think that number is set to go up a lot.

Hehe - either way, bikes will always be more useful, but unis will always be more epic :p

On Topic!

Praying for the thread - it's been very interesting lately and probably needs it :p

Things are going fairly well for me. Just got a new 2 year contract at work meaning I can afford a mountain unicycle, meaning I can do a 20k mountain ride in March that I'm hoping to do! Also, the freelance work just keeps on coming in for my art so that's great. Not advertising at all. Problem: there are no girls in this part of the country. Meh. Anyways I'm trying to make hay while the sun shines as far as money goes. Hoping to do a short term mission somewhere at some stage.

Last edited by vijil : 09-01-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 AM #23
duos_scythe
Luke 12: 4-6

duos_scythe owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
duos_scythe posts videos on PbNation
duos_scythe has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
duos_scythe is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
duos_scythe is Legendary
Well I am an official blood relation uncle. My sister had her baby boy last night.

Braylon Edward Redmer - 9lbs 6oz. 20.5" Long. 8:04pm EST.

So how has everyone been since Sunday. It has been kinda nice not having the internet at the house. Makes me enjoy it that much more when I get on it. And having a smooth running desktop makes me happy as well.
Christ Krew Member #46 / Matthew 10:32-33
Kryptonice 3.1 / Spire / Ninja 68 - Not F/S!
TC Paintball / CRU Paintball
Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 PM #24
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη helped look for balloons
HYPOTHETICAL:

Romans 7
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...+7&version=esv

Two wills:

Will of God
Will of Sin

Where one is, the other is not. (Romans 7:17) The sin one does is a result of the sin nature within him.

But why, then, does Paul say that the will of the soul is God?

Soul = Good
Flesh = Evil
Jesus tempted in flesh.

In other words, Gnosticism. I did have other thoughts which were related to free will, but this jumped out at me more. It is, of course, entirely hypothetical. Do with it what you will.

EDIT: Satan = sinful desire. Satan is the last to die. Satan is a metaphor. oh, my... these thoughts are entirely intriguing...

again, hypothetical.

Last edited by ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη : 09-01-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:42 PM #25
bait607
Eternal Impact Ministries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη View Post
HYPOTHETICAL:

Romans 7
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...+7&version=esv

Two wills:

Will of God
Will of Sin

Where one is, the other is not. (Romans 7:17) The sin one does is a result of the sin nature within him.

But why, then, does Paul say that the will of the soul is God?

Soul = Good
Flesh = Evil
Jesus tempted in flesh.

In other words, Gnosticism. I did have other thoughts which were related to free will, but this jumped out at me more. It is, of course, entirely hypothetical. Do with it what you will.

EDIT: Satan = sinful desire. Satan is the last to die. Satan is a metaphor. oh, my... these thoughts are entirely intriguing...

again, hypothetical.
glad you said it was hypothetical.... because its unscriptural especially that last part...

Angel A1 magno valved f/s/t

lightly upped sft shocker $200, eigen bolt $55, Virtue redefined board $70... the look on an eclipse agglets face when they realize their brand new $1250 gun just got out shot by an 03 spoolvalve PRICELESS
Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 PM #26
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

What's "scriptual" or "unscriptural" according to personal interpretation no longer matters to me. I feel the Bible has some deep secrets, which desire to be divined.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 AM #27
pbkid777
Move Freely

pbkid777 helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
Unicycle: less weight, less air resistance due to less surface area, and less road friction. There are two issues. One is that some of the rider's energy is going into balance rather than pure speed. However, the faster you go, the less effort balance takes and the more stable you become. There comes a point where you can basically lean on the wind. The second is that relative to it's rearmost ground contact point a bicycle's CoG is much further forward, meaning it can keep accelerating despite very high wind resistance. That said there's no reason why a uni rider couldn't lean forward a lot more than usual and do the same.

The real question is whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantage enough to match speed. Nobody really knows without trying it.

Btw the current unicycle hour record is 30k, compared to a current cycle record of about 56k. That's on a very low gear with no proper handlebars and a unicycle designed for distance, not speed. Also, the rider was super uncomfortable and had no budget. I think that number is set to go up a lot.

Hehe - either way, bikes will always be more useful, but unis will always be more epic :p

On Topic!

Praying for the thread - it's been very interesting lately and probably needs it :p

Things are going fairly well for me. Just got a new 2 year contract at work meaning I can afford a mountain unicycle, meaning I can do a 20k mountain ride in March that I'm hoping to do! Also, the freelance work just keeps on coming in for my art so that's great. Not advertising at all. Problem: there are no girls in this part of the country. Meh. Anyways I'm trying to make hay while the sun shines as far as money goes. Hoping to do a short term mission somewhere at some stage.
I could go on about this for days, but I do have to say that the uni cycle was almost 2 times slower than the road bike. Thats a lot.
Philippians 4:13

“Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.”-Gail Devers
Old 09-02-2010, 04:23 AM #28
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

I can't put much stock in the opinion of someone who doesn't ride and can't spell unicycle :p

I'm optimistic. I expect it'll get to about 45 or more with the right equipment under the right conditions. So far that circumstance has never happened.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 AM #29
Sweetpea14
Christ Krew

Headin up to Canada today! We, my senior class and I, are headed to a camp up there for the annual Senior Retreat my school lets us do. Hopefully itll be all we want it to be and bond even more as a class suber excited
When love is the only rule.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 AM #30
markcheb
surrender...don't move

Congrats on the Job situation Vigil.

Congrats Dom on being an Uncle. it's fun.

Howdy Krew

Been kinda busy around here, lotsa stuff going on at this time of year.

Hope you all are doing well. Just popping in to say "Hi".

God bless.
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32
Old 09-02-2010, 03:04 PM #31
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

Why are there foods which are clean and unclean?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM #32
pbkid777
Move Freely

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
I can't put much stock in the opinion of someone who doesn't ride and can't spell unicycle :p

I'm optimistic. I expect it'll get to about 45 or more with the right equipment under the right conditions. So far that circumstance has never happened.
My phone auto correct everything and sometimes messes stuff up. Lol

“Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.”-Gail Devers
Old 09-02-2010, 04:03 PM #33
Lil Roundhouse
Actually Jan '06

Lil Roundhouse plays in the PSP
Lil Roundhouse supports Cereal Killerz 2
Lil Roundhouse is an NCPA player
Quote:
Why are there foods which are clean and unclean?
there arent?

DYE APD
ByF8th D2
RIP 23 :(
Old 09-02-2010, 04:34 PM #34
pbkid777
Move Freely

There USED to be. I don't know why your dwelling on the old OT rules so much. I didn't mean that in a mean way.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:34 PM #35
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Roundhouse View Post
there arent?
Even in Old Testament context.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:40 PM #36
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

/facepalm again

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 PM #37
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

I had a very simple question... and it was why. Why?
Old 09-02-2010, 07:09 PM #38
Lil Roundhouse
Actually Jan '06

Lil Roundhouse plays in the PSP
Lil Roundhouse supports Cereal Killerz 2
Lil Roundhouse is an NCPA player
Quote:
Even in Old Testament context.
exactly

DYE APD
ByF8th D2
RIP 23 :(
Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 PM #39
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Roundhouse View Post
exactly
That wasn't an acclamation, it was an expansion on my original question.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 PM #40
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Why were foods unclean?

Kind of hard to explain... Sacrifice, tradition, etc, but this kind of sums it up.

Romans 14:14 As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean.

Simply speaking, it was an act of obedience. Technically speaking, you can dig up that research yourself.

Why the change?

Jesus did not teach his disciples to break the Law, for since he had not yet died and been resurrected, the Law was still in effect. However, he did tell his disciples that his death and resurrection was the beginning of a new covenant (Lk 22:20). This new covenant removed the distinctions between clean and unclean that were made in the Law, as a vision from God demonstrated to Peter in Acts 10:9-16:

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 PM #41
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
Why were foods unclean?

Kind of hard to explain... Sacrifice, tradition, etc, but this kind of sums it up.

Romans 14:14 As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean.

Simply speaking, it was an act of obedience. Technically speaking, you can dig up that research yourself.

Why the change?

Jesus did not teach his disciples to break the Law, for since he had not yet died and been resurrected, the Law was still in effect. However, he did tell his disciples that his death and resurrection was the beginning of a new covenant (Lk 22:20). This new covenant removed the distinctions between clean and unclean that were made in the Law, as a vision from God demonstrated to Peter in Acts 10:9-16:
I am not going to debate either of those points (mostly because I haven't done research on either of them).

http://www.abcog.org/food.htm

Quote:
It's well-known - even in our world of hi-tech refrigeration and high standards of hygienic food-handling - that certain foods are likely to cause illness. High on the list of meat with a medical health warning are the so-called "unclean" foods listed in Scripture! This does not mean that other meats are automatically safe. 'Mad Cow Disease', caused by forcing cows to be carnivores, is an example of how humans can turn the edible into the inedible. Humans, however, can never treat the inedible as edible without the risk of dire consequences. As I write, ninety people locally are seriously ill because of eating mussels - a kind of scavenger shell-fish that delightedly feeds on raw sewage! In 1990, and again several times since, shell-fish from the east coast of England were banned from the shops for several months because they were contaminated. Such incidents are not uncommon. Not infrequently they kill. And doctors, of course, frequently prescribe "no pork" to patients for health reasons. Another example is the hare which was, even among the ancient Britons, avoided because of its well-known loathsome disorders!

In the Middle Ages, Jews were accused of sorcery because they escaped many of the sicknesses that afflicted others. It is now known that this was because they observed the laws of "cleanness". The laws of uncleanness also include other (obvious to us) instructions such as avoiding contact with blood, contaminated water, skin diseases, rats and fleas, and not touching dead bodies.

So anyone who expresses respect for these Bible laws, is doing himself a favor! Isn't it logical that a God who created man, who loves mankind,,will also have given guidance on the best "fuel" for his body? And what to avoid?

In fact, an open-minded study of Scripture forces only one answer to our title question: Yes - some meats are unfit to eat! And Christians especially, in whom dwells the Spirit of God, who are His "Temple", who are Christ's Body, ought to give heed to the Bible's dietary laws!
Perhaps there was a more pragmatic reason? I don't think such would be unbefitting of God.

EDIT: I am not saying that eating any food expressly prohibited by scripture is a sin, but am merely trying to perhaps rationalize the OT laws regarding clean and unclean foods.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:18 PM #42
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Lol I'm not going to argue why God made those specific foods unclean... He's God.

Closed Thread