Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 PM #211
bait607
Eternal Impact Ministries

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
In other news, the package is safely away and out of reach of The Covenant.
LOL amazing game... i havent finished my solo legendary play through yet but the co-op legendary play throughs were awesome... best halo ever (yes i just said it is the only halo that beat Combat Evolved)

lightly upped sft shocker $200, eigen bolt $55, Virtue redefined board $70... the look on an eclipse agglets face when they realize their brand new $1250 gun just got out shot by an 03 spoolvalve PRICELESS
Old 09-29-2010, 02:29 PM #212
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I write. Here's what I wrote today:

Have you ever had to squint? There's something out of focus and in order to make clarity out of the situation you have to make a face like a sour-apple bomb has went off in your mouth (okay, just admit now that you tried to make that face, ha). You are trying your hardest to get an idea of the scene. The sun is blaring. Well designed eyebrows are holding back the stinging sweat. Your pupils dilate to let the right amount of light enter the back of your eye and you're finally able to process the scene. Focus has been achieved.
I feel like that sometimes. There's a task ahead of me and I have to squint at it in order to understand it. The news comes that my unborn son might have a problem developing in the womb: squint. A particular person has something bad to say about me: squint. The boss says that there are going to be layoffs: squint. The bank sends a notice of overdraft charges: squint.
That's just life. But there's also the squinting that occurs when it comes to our overall goal and growth. There's this thing that most of you holding this paper ascribe to: Christianity. And you are squinting. You've probably said out loud, "What's the purpose?" You're body language was probably revealing shrugged shoulders and a scrunched nose. Then you go about your business. Oh, dabbling in Christian work has gotten you by so far. The sign up sheet has your name on it. You toss a few dollars as the collection plate circles the pews like a nascar circuit driver. You know the meaning to the words salvation, propitiation, and atonement. Christianity has meaning to you. You understand it. But you still ask the question, "What's the purpose?" Squint.
The purpose is pretty simple. Larry Osborne, author of "Sticky Church", summarizes it this way, "They [churches] not only draw in spiritual window-shoppers and lead them to Christ; they also grow them up to maturity. And that, after all, is what Jesus called us to do. He didn't tell us to go into all the world and sign people up. He didn't tell us to draw big crowds. He told us to make disciples - a task that includes baptizing people and teaching them to obey everything he commanded."
Tired of squinting? Become a disciple. Tired of struggling for purpose? Become a disciple. Find some other squinters and begin a Bible study. Look at what Jesus taught and start emulating it. Focus on Jesus. I mean, seriously, that's what this whole Christian thing is about: Jesus. No compromise: Jesus. Relax the scrunched face, turn away from the glare, and wipe away the sweat in order to see the purpose in all of this. Become a disciple.

For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers (Romans 8:29 NIV)
Old 09-29-2010, 02:55 PM #213
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
Casey, I've found that admitting that the universe and existence is not explainable in this life helps - because then you aren't so utterly driven to make sense of it. I leave it in bigger hands than mine.
I wish it were that easy. The whole of almost all of my problems have their roots internally, either to sharply contrasting worldviews or differences between who I am and who I want to be (definitely both). I am having an extreme identity crisis first and foremost. Everything within my own mind is all of the things that contradict.

If that were the only difficulty, however, I'm sure I could put it out of mind. But I also fear that whatever I say about the myriad of feelings, thoughts, and ideas which have lead me to how I am right now will be vastly underestimated and wholly incomprehensible to someone who is in the exact situation I am in, also entirely unresolved,for resolving something such as this producing the false feelings that it never was that bad to begin with.

In short, I don't know exactly what all is throwing my self into a state of extreme dissonance, or how deep such goes (most likely all the way down to my very being), and after that, I don't know how much good talking about it or perhaps even getting some help for it would do. Wow. And I don't think I've even had an identity crisis until now.

A great majority of the stuff that has happened in my life has happened within the last three years. Before that, I did nothing except play video games. All of my problems began when I actually started thinking.

In addition, there is society's expectations, pressures, pulls from everywhere. I might would wager to say that I have more work this year than in all my other school years combined (and it would only be a small exaggeration), but at the same time, I need to get a job, get my driver's license, do a project that determines whether my entire school life was worth anything or just a waste of my time (I don't give s*** about that, quite honestly. Not one bit...) and I have to decide exactly what I want to do with my entire life, probably best to do so by the end of next month. And I have no idea where t start. This in particular though only counts for the depression AT BEST, not even bothering to address the other issues above.

I could easily, and wish I had a mind to, elaborate greatly on every single one of those points. But I already need to have time to internalize a great many things tonight, do multitudes of homework in two classes, and read an entire book while gathering information in a third.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:04 PM #214
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Maybe at some point you should write it all down, even if just for yourself. I have loads of word documents lying around that are just me defragging my mind and not for general consumption
Old 09-29-2010, 04:08 PM #215
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
Maybe at some point you should write it all down, even if just for yourself. I have loads of word documents lying around that are just me defragging my mind and not for general consumption
I do that on occasion. I sometimes write poetry too, if I feel like I really need to let loose on paper. But, like you, it is not anything I would willingly share with the world... at least not write now. I am getting far more comfortable at fully expressing myself.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:42 PM #216
pbkid777
Move Freely

pbkid777 helped look for balloons
Philippians 4:13

“Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.”-Gail Devers
Old 09-30-2010, 07:24 AM #217
markcheb
surrender...don't move

Great post Tim. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Welcome new member - 280. Toppdogg94 = AJ. Welcome to the Krew AJ.

Bait - Yep the new Halo is awesome. My eyes are buggin out of my head but yeah...

Mornin' Krew

Luke 18:9-14 (esv)
9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10 "Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.' 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

Man likes to compare himself to man to see how he "measures up" (at least in his own eyes). Myself I've heard many times sayings like "I never killed anyone." or "At least I'm not a rapist."...so "I think I'm ok with God." I've been in a prison ministry for few years now and can say I know people who have done these things and worse, much worse. And it would be so easy for for me to say "Wow, look how good I am compared to..". I have real life examples to point at. But why is it I'm almost always humbled by the depth of conviction, breadth of knowledge and sincere dedication to God's work I find in these men?

The Price was the same.

Jesus died for their sin just as much as he died for mine. I cannot glory in that, but what I can glory in is this: He loves us that much.
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32

Last edited by markcheb : 09-30-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:31 AM #218
xDarkk
Cool enough

xDarkk has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xDarkk has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
xDarkk has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
^^^i love those versus!

EDIT: has any one else read "The Reason for God" by Timothy Keller?
Old 09-30-2010, 11:43 AM #219
bait607

Afternoon all. How is everyone doing?

AKJV: Philippians Chapter 4

[8] Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
[9] Those things, which you have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

i have always found this passage challenging specially if you start setting it next to the movies, games, and music we enjoy

lightly upped sft shocker $200, eigen bolt $55, Virtue redefined board $70... the look on an eclipse agglets face when they realize their brand new $1250 gun just got out shot by an 03 spoolvalve PRICELESS
Old 09-30-2010, 07:16 PM #220
pbkid777
Move Freely

I'm writing a paper on my personal philosophy and I got to thinking. What things build your guy's personal philosophy.

“Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.”-Gail Devers
Old 09-30-2010, 07:42 PM #221
Lil Roundhouse
Actually Jan '06

Lil Roundhouse plays in the PSP
Lil Roundhouse supports Cereal Killerz 2
Lil Roundhouse is an NCPA player
Lil Roundhouse plays in the APPA D4 division
waffles

DYE APD
ByF8th D2
RIP 23 :(
Old 09-30-2010, 07:51 PM #222
markcheb
surrender...don't move

I'm more of Frank's Redhot kinda guy myself.

... but waffles are good.

wait... no, that wouldn't be so good.

I guess two goods don't make a gooder, each should be enjoyed as a good in it's own right.
ChristKrew #185
Old 09-30-2010, 07:57 PM #223
pbkid777
Move Freely

Thanks guys!

Lol. Well in all seriousness what aspects build your own personal philosophy?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:14 PM #224
bait607

i like to start with my Bible

Old 09-30-2010, 11:40 PM #225
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkid777 View Post
Thanks guys!

Lol. Well in all seriousness what aspects build your own personal philosophy?
That is an incredibly broad question, and one that I could not answer without much thought on what my personal philosophy is.

I think my philosophy could greatly be composed of contradictory elements due to a duality within my mind, and I haven't subjected my own philosophy to thorough evaluation, and I haven't studied much of any formal philosophy, but here goes:

At the heart of my philosophy is a deep sense of realism; neither optimism or pessimism. Actually, I believe it is entirely possible to be both idealistic and realistic at the same time (idealism =/= optimism).

Beyond this, the question goes through such a broad spectrum...

I guess another idea which has a great effect on my outlook on many things and my thoughts on many subjects is absurdism (basically, that life has no objective meaning). Actually, I find that a lot of things are almost entirely relative: God, morals, art, degree of "normalcy," preferences. Nearly everything in this universe is subjective, and I guess that shapes many of my thoughts on things and makes me more open to new ideas and tolerant towards many things, since none are intrinsically more right (but perhaps objectively better, maybe) than another.

I do believe God to be about the only objective reality in the universe: a true God which transcends religion, creed, history, everything. A truly infinite God. That is all I can really say I fully believe about God, because such a definition makes any of God's characteristics wholly impossible to truly discern.

I think that's about it for my personal philosophy. Realize that those objects up there which I claimed to be entirely relative (from person to person), I do have my own definitions for, which I will perhaps share, if anyone is interested, at some other time. But it is bedtime now.

Oh yes, any questions, feel free to ask. I find discussions of this topic especially interesting, and enjoy any questions one would ask me.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:52 PM #226
pbkid777
Move Freely

Thanks man. That helps a lot!

Old 10-02-2010, 01:00 PM #227
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

Are you doing this for a class or out of pure curiosity?
Old 10-02-2010, 01:38 PM #228
markcheb
surrender...don't move

today = chainsaw!!!

I wanted to get some more wood cut up today but my saw has been giving me fits. It's running like a champ now but I not gonna give another chance to get me mad today, ( it could prove to be fatal to it's existence.) I'm quitting while ahead.

Besides it's beauty fall day out here in Northern Mi, and it's hunting season. Maybe I'll go out and kill something, that I can at least eat.

Hope you all are having a great day.

** Wow, looks like you don't get to question atheistic altruism.
ChristKrew #185

Last edited by markcheb : 10-02-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:07 PM #229
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

IF altruism exists.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:14 PM #230
pbkid777
Move Freely

Quote:
Originally Posted by ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη View Post
Are you doing this for a class or out of pure curiosity?
Yes, and I can question whatever I want with this paper. My next one for this class is our personal position between intelligent design and evolution. Yes, I go to a public school as well.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:48 PM #231
ἔρως-φιλία-ἀγάπη

I suppose you're going to be arguing intelligent design then? I think that, even though I believe in a God, natural selection makes more sense to me than intelligent design. And even if I were a young earth creationist, if I had any knowledge of evolution and natural solution, natural selection would make more sense than intelligent design.
Closed Thread