ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Importance of Reiligion in the Current Era

Just wondering, because how I see religion is this: it was designed as a way for random people to relate and unite under a certain belief so that they could stay together, productive, and civilize. Back then, this was a phenomenal survival method. but in this current day, I believe this is more detrimental to society than it is supportive. I can see why some people would be close from going to temple/synagogue/mosque, but I don't see the purpose in being devout, following some of the laws, etc.

Example: don't consume pig or alcohol. Pig: usually carried unknown diseases and was often maltreated, which led to rancid meat which could kill people. Alcohol: by assumption, drinking it meant you were going insane for like 3 hours, and a hangover may mean the demons are done with your body and leaving in the form of barf.

another example: I'm born jewish, and one of our "beliefs" is of cleanliness. Being clean is good and so bathing and personal hygiene is very important as you are taking care of yourself, making yourself healthy, which means you can spend more time enlightening yourself and enjoying life. Of course this is very helpful today, but not as important. Society isn't as.... dim... as it were back then. There is a lot less filth on streets as now and if you were dirty back then, you would die of black plague, small pox, or whatever epidemic was in fashion.

I understand the historic importance of religion, especially ones like islam, buddhism, and hinduism, which had beliefs which were rooted to scientific and mathematical information... The means for which most people nowadays STRONGLY believe in them is absurd to me.

As far as god is concerned, he's a magnificent way to explain everything that can't yet be proven by science. Example: history. why did Galileo get his *** handed to him?

What's your guys' (religious) aspect?

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by R3L: Nostalgia's a hell of a drug."
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"

Last edited by YeloSno : 05-14-2011 at 10:49 PM.
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2011, 10:39 PM #2
Iamamartianchurch

Reverence dear boy, reverence.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:45 PM #3
Splatter Effect
Proud Angel Owner

Splatter Effect helped look for balloons
Splatter Effect supports Team VICIOUS
I believe religion had it's hay day in which it helped humanity. It allowed them to help unify everyone establish government and give some semi-decent moral back yet now it's past it's glory days and in my opinion is inhibiting humanity's growth. Stopping things like stem cell research, as well as abortions (we're already vastly over populated) it's just to name a few things as well as the thousand years of scientific repression. So yes religion was good for a couple things but now it's just in the way in my never to be humble opinion.

Cereal Killerz & Free Agent FS!

PBreview Feedback (+2/-0)
Splatter Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:48 PM #4
YeloSno

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Reverence dear boy, reverence.
care to elaborate? I hear this and other quips a lot. Unlike you guys, who know about it, to me, it's pretty ambiguous and doesn't mean much.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:00 PM #5
Irish916
eThug

Irish916 plays in the PSP
I think there are good values in religion but religion has outlived itself and doesn't contribute much use to society's well-being anymore.

Obvious things such as treat others with respect, don't murder, don't steal, etc. are still relevant today and you should probably follow them.

Other things like no pork in Judaism like you mentioned are very outdated and do little to help society imo.

For example, mormons aren't allowed to have caffeine (from what I've heard from people who grew up mormon) so instead they drink caffeine free diet soda...which is worse for you. Apparently rules like this and prohibition of alcohol are supposed to help improve family life, yet these are the same people who also OK'd having multiple wives at one period of time.

I think the basic values are good and people should try to obey them but they shouldn't over think them.
edit: stick to the good moral values, disregard the stupid **** that was obviously written for daily life whether now or ancient.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:13 PM #6
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
care to elaborate? I hear this and other quips a lot. Unlike you guys, who know about it, to me, it's pretty ambiguous and doesn't mean much.
a gesture indicative of deep respect. In this case, for the universe.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:20 PM #7
YeloSno

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
a gesture indicative of deep respect. In this case, for the universe.
hmmm, ok...

ALT Bazaar

Old 05-14-2011, 11:24 PM #8
P0ontang 4 Peace
No more hate

It doesn't really have a purpose in today's society other than serving as a form of social/racial/national cohesion. I think that's all religions purpose ever really was aside from serving as a sort of moral compass.

I don't think it advances us in anyway, that's for sure.

At the same time, it also doesn't hold us back(at least in the West)--the science community is breaking ground regardless of what little influence the Church has on the intellectual awareness of the general public. Perhaps in the Islamic world, religion is possibly a detriment to advancement since it creates so many rifts and preoccupies the people with menial things.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:59 AM #9
joshlikespaintball
Hate.Kill.Destroy

Annual Supporting Member
joshlikespaintball plays in the PSP
joshlikespaintball supports Cereal Killerz 2
joshlikespaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
joshlikespaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
joshlikespaintball supports Pev's Paintball
joshlikespaintball plays in the APPA D3 division
I think following in the teachings of a religion in this common era is important, but not religion itself. If everyone just embraced the whole "dont kill/rape/steal/etc" than life would be great, but people dont. Wars get started over religion, its been happening ever since there has been religion. People saying im right, your wrong, believe me or die.

Religion is not important. At all. What is important, is the foot notes.

Chattanooga CEP D3

Killing for Red Leg Action Sports
But seriously I kill people.

They call me the Jew
joshlikespaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:37 AM #10
IRPancake
ppanackcakakak

meowmeowmeowmeow
""its a maxima...my car is a special edition v6 twin cam 3.5 liter...we clocked the thing in stock 1/4mile in 12 seconds without anything. the place we dragged it was on a road my friend KNEW to be a quarter mile. the specs were 235 horsepower dont ****ing tell me to get off drugs

edit: timed it with a stop watch 12.35 seconds""

Originally Posted by Spock: "Which part of your life learning, reason and experience dictate that your status in the afterlife depends on your acceptance of a 2000 year old carpenter as your savior?"
IRPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:52 PM #11
Bill Watterson
Black and Light

Religion is an institutional mechanism which helps produce cooperation and peace. Like all institutional forms of governance, it can be abused.

Does it serve a purpose in today's society? Well, I'd like to say yes, and also state that anyone who says no is willfully ignorant.
Bill Watterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:45 PM #12
joshlikespaintball
Hate.Kill.Destroy

Annual Supporting Member
joshlikespaintball plays in the PSP
joshlikespaintball supports Cereal Killerz 2
joshlikespaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
joshlikespaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
joshlikespaintball supports Pev's Paintball
joshlikespaintball plays in the APPA D3 division
lol you just dont like me.

Think about what religion has hindered in mankind's past. The dark age wouldnt have been if not for the boom in Christianity. Same goes for today. Advances in medicine are hindered because people dont like the thought of using aborted fetuses to rebuild a spinal column. Not to mention genocide in 2 major parts of the world because of a lack of wanting to accept another person's views.

Religion would be fine, if people kept it to themselves, except now its "if you dont wise up and believe what I believe, your going to hell.

Living in fear is what keeps manking down. We are destined for the stars, not this rock we are quickly filling with out dead.

Chattanooga CEP D3

Killing for Red Leg Action Sports
But seriously I kill people.

They call me the Jew
joshlikespaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:30 AM #13
Bill Watterson
Black and Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlikespaintball View Post
lol you just dont like me.

Think about what religion has hindered in mankind's past. The dark age wouldnt have been if not for the boom in Christianity.
And the church played a large role in the growth in use of market based institutions, which is the reason for huge leaps in quality of life. Not to mention, without religion, philosophy would be much, much worse.

Quote:
Same goes for today. Advances in medicine are hindered because people dont like the thought of using aborted fetuses to rebuild a spinal column.
Which is a political issue, religion isn't the deciding factor.

Quote:
Not to mention genocide in 2 major parts of the world because of a lack of wanting to accept another person's views.
Yep. And the most murderous, cruel regimes (and ideology) was one of the most vehemently atheist.

Quote:
Religion would be fine, if people kept it to themselves, except now its "if you dont wise up and believe what I believe, your going to hell.
I thought that was how it was before? Again, atheists do this too. You just see it more often because for the common person religion is just economically more commonsensical than adopting other philosophies.

Quote:
Living in fear is what keeps manking down. We are destined for the stars, not this rock we are quickly filling with out dead.
Now we're destined for things, but religion is keeping us from our "destiny". lol
Old 05-16-2011, 01:09 PM #14
Umami
"That guy"

Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Watterson View Post
Which is a political issue, religion isn't the deciding factor.
Stop pretending religion isn't used in the political arena.
Quote:
Yep. And the most murderous, cruel regimes (and ideology) was one of the most vehemently atheist.
But they didn't kill in the name of Atheism. I'm not convinced Stalin wouldn't have taken power or would have been any better if the USSR hadn't adopted atheism. A sociopath is a sociopath. Their first mistake was to make a law regarding the practice of religion.

But speculation of the past is worthless.
Quote:
I thought that was how it was before? Again, atheists do this too. You just see it more often because for the common person religion is just economically more commonsensical than adopting other philosophies.
The difference being I don't often see Atheists making scriptural arguments to restrict liberties.
Quote:
Now we're destined for things, but religion is keeping us from our "destiny". lol

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.

Last edited by Umami : 05-16-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:36 PM #15
Bill Watterson
Black and Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Stop pretending religion isn't used in the political arena.
Stop straw manning. He is talking about the law, one that is highly politicized. It's not strictly religion, and acting like that is why most atheists are laughed at by theists and non-theists.

Quote:
But they didn't kill in the name of Atheism. I'm not convinced Stalin wouldn't have taken power or would have been any better if the USSR hadn't adopted atheism. A sociopath is a sociopath. Their first mistake was to make a law regarding the practice of religion.
Oh so it's just a sociopath being a sociopath in the case of atheism, but there's something inherently worse/more wrong with an evil (as judged by you) act done in the name of religion?

BTW, not just Stalin. Atheism influenced almost ALL of the modern totalitarian ideologies, and Mao, Pal Pot, Stalin, Lenin, were not very friendly to atheism. Religion doesn't exactly help totalitarianism, or the attempt at creating "heaven on earth".
Quote:
But speculation of the past is worthless.
There is no speculation being done by me, only those who suggest religion doesn't have a use in today's world.

Quote:
The difference being I don't often see Atheists making scriptural arguments to restrict liberties.
So? I see atheists make plenty of arguments to restrict liberties, at least the religious generally have good intentions, as ignorant as they can be, whereas the famous atheists who have wielded lots of political power have been sorta infamous for their infringement on basic human liberties.

Quote:
Oh the famous smiley.

One should roll their eyes at the elitism of this new strand of internet-created atheism, but half the board loves it. At least it has no place in academia.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:49 PM #16
Umami
"That guy"

Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Stop straw manning. He is talking about the law, one that is highly politicized. It's not strictly religion, and acting like that is why most atheists are laughed at by theists and non-theists.
Really? You're saying I'm entirely fabricating a HUGE link between religion and politics. Then why does the Pew Research Center give that connection alone its own domain name to host research on the topic?

http://pewforum.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life
Although the public clearly sees a strong link between Christianity and the country's national identity, most Americans think citizen preferences should outweigh the Bible as an influence on American law. When asked which should have more influence over the laws of the country * the Bible or the will of the people, even when it conflicts with the Bible * most Americans (63%) say the people's will should have more sway. A significant minority (32%), however, believes the Bible should be more important.
http://pewforum.org/Politics-and-Ele...olitics.aspx#1

So 1 in 3 Americans believes Biblical law trumps American law. And yes, I see that growing minority as incompatible with maintaining religious freedom in this country. Clearly you haven't spent much time in the more religious parts of the country (the Midwest and bible belt).

Quote:
Oh so it's just a sociopath being a sociopath in the case of atheism, but there's something inherently worse/more wrong with an evil (as judged by you) act done in the name of religion?

BTW, not just Stalin. Atheism influenced almost ALL of the modern totalitarian ideologies, and Mao, Pal Pot, Stalin, Lenin, were not very friendly to atheism. Religion doesn't exactly help totalitarianism, or the attempt at creating "heaven on earth".
I never said religious totalitarians weren't sociopaths. YOU inserted the word just. I'm only pointing out that you're reaching a false conclusion by linking ideology to murderous regimes when you say -

"Yep. And the most murderous, cruel regimes (and ideology) was one of the most vehemently atheist."

Quote:
There is no speculation being done by me, only those who suggest religion doesn't have a use in today's world.
I was talking about my own speculation.

Quote:
Oh the famous smiley.

One should roll their eyes at the elitism of this new strand of internet-created atheism, but half the board loves it. At least it has no place in academia.
I was agreeing with you. Jeez man, chill out. And I'm surprised you've come to using anti-intellectual jargon so quickly, usually it takes people of your obvious intelligence a little longer hanging around here before they get there.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.

Last edited by Umami : 05-16-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:46 PM #17
Dynamopbers

has been a member for 10 years
For the most part I'm with you Yelosno...I think anything that pins people one over the other is not good. Religion has the tendency to do this. From what I know religion only began when people were in larger groups. NO **** they wanted power over others so whoever had the best most believable idea lived beauty.

People need balance, as the universe, mother nature, and everything around us accomplishes. The only true religion is the one that attains this goal.
Dynamopbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 PM #18
MaTtBoy-II
ohai thar

has been a member for 10 years
Religion is primitive.

Spirituality however, is essential to the Human condition. We just need to learn to conquer our egos and stop believing we know, or are even capable of knowing all the answers. Religion seems to strengthen the ego, which is ironic because most religious figures, such as Jesus or Muhammad, are essentially people who lived without the ego.
You truly are the funniest poster on ST MaTt."
"Originally posted by SquirrelMaster
You are my master, MaTtBoy."
That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

Last edited by MaTtBoy-II : 05-16-2011 at 06:01 PM.
MaTtBoy-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:59 PM #19
YeloSno

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
I'm all game with spirituality.

I've also gone through the effort to practice being an orthodox jew, a devout buddhist and christian for 6 months each to see what it's like...

I don't see the actual need to be religious. The holidays are great and important and should be attended to accordingly, but everything else is kinda water under the bridge. The gist of all of them is pretty much the same. Be well with yourself. Be well with the ones around you. Be well with your environment/nature.

I think people see past this.

Like the stories in the Torah or Bible... None of them ACTUALLY happened exactly as so. Peter cut down the pagan people's tree without getting stricken by thunder... Well no ****, the climate and weather conditions weren't ripe for a firestorm of lightning and wind and crazy stuff. The Red sea was actually the REED Sea, it didn't part, it dried up over the course of a month. They didn't cross that land in a few hours, it was several days' worth of trekking. The point of the story was to captivate you and comfortably bring you valid morals, not to make a brief recap on history and drill it into your brains as the truth. There was no angel of death, it was an epidemic.

ALT Bazaar

Old 05-16-2011, 10:57 PM #20
Bill Watterson
Black and Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Really? You're saying I'm entirely fabricating a HUGE link between religion and politics. Then why does the Pew Research Center give that connection alone its own domain name to host research on the topic?

http://pewforum.org/
Calm down here. I'm saying that religion alone isn't the deciding factor in that issue, i.e. there are secular reasons to oppose it. I pointed out in my original post that religion is an institutional mechanism for governance, so I'd find it hard to believe I also doubt there is a link between religion and politics.

I guess I'm an agnostic with a high respect for Voeglin. Sue me.

Quote:
So 1 in 3 Americans believes Biblical law trumps American law. And yes, I see that growing minority as incompatible with maintaining religious freedom in this country. Clearly you haven't spent much time in the more religious parts of the country (the Midwest and bible belt).
Haha. I have. Look at my local county's voting numbers on various propositions. I live in one of the most conservative, backword places in America when it comes to social values.
Quote:
I never said religious totalitarians weren't sociopaths. YOU inserted the word just. I'm only pointing out that you're reaching a false conclusion by linking ideology to murderous regimes when you say -
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The point of that sentence was to highlight that beliefs about deities aren't the biggest thing to worry about when it comes to politics, and that religious ideology isn't necessarily connected to one's political ideology.

Quote:
I was talking about my own speculation.
Forgive me.

Quote:
I was agreeing with you. Jeez man, chill out. And I'm surprised you've come to using anti-intellectual jargon so quickly, usually it takes people of your obvious intelligence a little longer hanging around here before they get there.
Haha, man, if I came off as angry or frustrated, forgive me, it's my posting style. You're still one of my favorite posters. But could you explain that last sentence? Confused as to what you're implying.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:14 PM #21
YeloSno

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
to the last quote you responded to, I think he means that people of your stature keep their integrity a bit longer before bringing in the "little guns" if you know what I mean.

ALT Bazaar