Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-30-2015, 08:54 AM #1
jonathanmboone

Dp G5!!!!!

Hey guys this is my first post, I'm from Alabama sort of new to paintball, 20 years old and have played about 7 times before. Well anyways i just ordered a purple g5 from ans gear and it will be here in 3 days and I can NOT wait!! I will have a ninja 48/3000 HPA tank with a halo too hopper. When i get the gun whats the first thing I should do? can i just screw my tank on it and shoot?

Also if anyone is from the mobile AL area hmu let me know where you play, Ive only played at bobs paintball and last time I was there it was only a woods feild, no speedball . Just let me know where you guys go, and any advice on anything would help.

thanks
jonathanmboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2015, 09:01 AM #2
TOS Bravo
Boom

Annual Supporting Member
TOS Bravo is playing at Living Legends VII
TOS Bravo owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
TOS Bravo has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
TOS Bravo supports Empire
I've heard bad things about the DP-40 lubricant that comes on DP guns new. If you have any other paintball lubricants I'd take the high pressure regulator apart, wipe it down/clean it off, relube that, then take the bolt out and do the same. Other than that, maybe just a factory reset on the board (never know what ANSgear does with the guns before they ship them) and set your gun to 285 fps. Good to go

TOS Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:19 AM #3
jonathanmboone

Ok, cool/ yeah i ordered some pb and jelly violent series grease and oil.
Its called the pb jelly, and thats the grease. the other is pb oil. any way to know if im close to 285fps without taking it to the field?
Old 04-30-2015, 09:43 AM #4
robones

Only use grease with your DP 5 gun. The oil will swell your gun's internal O-rings and you will not be able to use your gun.

I have been using my DP 5 since December '14 and I now have shot over 30,000 paintballs and I have only used the DP -lube plus that came with my gun and I have had absolutely no issues. I only apply a little bit of lube in the bolt and around the O-rings in the back cap and that's it. In fact, I am running out of the lube and I am now trying to buy another one from DP.
robones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:46 AM #5
jonathanmboone

what is the oil for? I'm not really sure why I bought it. I just thought that I needed it. and 30k paintballs holy!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:54 AM #6
robones

The oil is for poppet guns. Spoolies like the G5 need grease and grease only. Do not ever put oil. 30k is only 15 cases through it. Wish I had more... just been a little busy LOL. But the gun has performed marvelously. My recommendation, if you want to get the absolute best performance out of your G5, I recommend getting a Rotor loader instead of your Halo. and upgrading your barrel with one that accepts freak inserts to lower your bore size to like .684
Old 04-30-2015, 10:00 AM #7
jonathanmboone

yeah I am eventually going to upgrade my hopper, but when I change my barrel to a different bore size wont that make it pretty specific on the type of paint I need to be shooting? I'm not looking to buy very expensive paint. and damn I wasted $10 because I got the oil and grease haha oh well.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:05 AM #8
robones

not really.. modern paint is much smaller in size than it was before. Even a bore size of .684 is big enough for all types of paint and temperatures. I use this size exclusively in hot Miami weather with all sort of paint, cheap/good and I have no issues. Smaller than this and yeah you are reaching the point of paint matching/bore sizing.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:11 AM #9
robones

and please please please please read your instructions manual that came with your gun. All guns have different settings but you'll find once you become knowledgeable about your guns features as explained by the manufacturer, you will alleviate issues down the line. Read your manual first before taking any advice on line. The manufacturer's recommendation should come first.

One thing: go to your manual and look at the instructions to enable ABS ("Anti Bolt Stick") which is an incredible feature that comes disabled in stock settings. Just do an 1 - max 2 ms increase from the off setting and you'll be all set and ready to destroy your competition
Old 04-30-2015, 10:21 AM #10
jonathanmboone

Is there a paint you would recommend? Not the cheapest thing out there but a good bang for buck. and I understand everything that you've said except for "Just do an 1 - max 2 ms increase from the off setting". I have no idea what that means lol and it might just be because I am a noob
Old 04-30-2015, 10:43 AM #11
robones

i can't recommend any paint to be honest as I have only used one.. Empire Advance or Tournament grade. My local shop only sells empire paint and so I can only buy this one brand. But its worked for me and with my barrel .684 bore size, the shots are near lazer accurate. shot over shot pretty much to about 35 feet range.

LOL if you read your manual you'll know what I am talking about regarding the 1 to 2 ms increase ;P
Old 04-30-2015, 11:15 AM #12
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmboone View Post
Hey guys this is my first post, I'm from Alabama sort of new to paintball, 20 years old and have played about 7 times before. Well anyways i just ordered a purple g5 from ans gear and it will be here in 3 days and I can NOT wait!! I will have a ninja 48/3000 HPA tank with a halo too hopper. When i get the gun whats the first thing I should do? can i just screw my tank on it and shoot?

Also if anyone is from the mobile AL area hmu let me know where you play, Ive only played at bobs paintball and last time I was there it was only a woods feild, no speedball . Just let me know where you guys go, and any advice on anything would help.

thanks
Quote:
Ok, cool/ yeah i ordered some pb and jelly violent series grease and oil.
Its called the pb jelly, and thats the grease. the other is pb oil. any way to know if im close to 285fps without taking it to the field?

You really shouldn't have to do much. However, there are a couple things that come to mind based on your info provided:

With the Ninja regulator - you will want to take the bonnet off, the piston and spring stack out, and remove the thin, flat shims in the regulator housing. These will be a couple of red ones and possibly a sliver one. Doing this will drop your tank output pressure to something more compatible with the G5.

Next, read the manual for the Halo Too then check that the settings are in the mid-range (not to high and not to low).

With the G5, I read the manual, then check the settings. The manual lists the factory default settings. Make sure your marker is set to those default settings to start. As stated previously, it may be worth the effort to use your Violent Series lube. Use just the grease. Out of the box, I would start with wiping down the bolt and backcap stem. Then apply a light coat of the jelly to the outside surface of the bolt (but not that black plastic bumper piece), inside the back of the bolt, and on the o-ring on the stem of the backcap.

Lastly, screw your tank on, clamp your hopper on and fill with paint, then go have some fun.

To answer your other question - No, there really is no way to tell if you are close to 285 fps without using a chronograph. Given enough time and experience, sometimes people can get pretty close based on the sound of the shot (with or without paint) and visually by the paint flight.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:52 PM #13
jonathanmboone

What if i dont mess with my ninja reg or tank at all and shoot it with the g5? what will happen?
also is there anyway to see my tank output pressure? I have a gauge on my tank that shows how much psi is in the tank. and what does my tank output pressure need to be for the g5?

Yeah ive been thinking about investing in a chronograph. Ive seen 2 that are about in the 80-100$ range
Old 04-30-2015, 01:10 PM #14
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
What if i dont mess with my ninja reg or tank at all and shoot it with the g5? what will happen?
also is there anyway to see my tank output pressure? I have a gauge on my tank that shows how much psi is in the tank. and what does my tank output pressure need to be for the g5?

Yeah ive been thinking about investing in a chronograph. Ive seen 2 that are about in the 80-100$ range
If you leave the tank as is, it is possible to break seals on the G5. Since the G5 is macroless, the tank output pressure should be on the low end. It is possible to run a high pressure output tank reg with the G5 BUT the chances of constantly busting O-rings is high. It will likely be the o-ring between the ASA and frame and/or the one between the frame and body that goes.

Without a tester, you will not be able to see what the output of a tank regulator is. With the Ninja tank you are getting, the adjustability will get you within a output range that will work best for the G5.

Chronographs are handy. If you are patient, used ones can be found for around $50. I think the best bang for the buck will be the X-Radar one. I think they run about $80 new.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Old 04-30-2015, 06:07 PM #15
ryd0g

I use pathogen on my g4 and it works great. Wipe off all the stock lube and apply some pathogen to the bolt.
ryd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:10 PM #16
SinisterSolution
BigUgly

SinisterSolution owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
SinisterSolution has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SinisterSolution has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
SinisterSolution supports Empire
Quote:

I'm in the same boat as you! My sons G5 should arrive Friday also.

I have been digging and researching all I can. There's not alot of info out there on the G5. Tons on the G4, G3 and others.

Keep in mind the PSI gauge on the tank is not the same as the psi pushed into the marker. My Guerilla tank output psi is 800.
I'm fairly certain that is pretty much the standard output on hpa tanks.
Changing out the shins and springs adjust that output. 450-550 is ideal for the G5.

CA_Tectonics Helped me with info on low pressure shims and which kit to get (I had a choice of 3 different kits) for my guerilla regulator. YouTube showed the exact steps and its extremely easy and cheap. for my reg. (less than $10 ) well worth the small amount of time and $$ to avoid high pressure o ring blow outs.

CA_Tectonics Gave me the specifics on info I couldn't find.... Ty !!! Take his advice

Last edited by SinisterSolution : 04-30-2015 at 06:21 PM.
SinisterSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:53 PM #17
NOBLE818

NOBLE818 is BST Trusted
NOBLE818 is playing at Living Legends VIII
NOBLE818 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I use PB Jelly on all my markers including my G5 and it has always worked great. The G5 has been really low maintenance in the 2 years I have owned it.

As far as the tank pressure, I've used a standard Crossfire tank and reg which outputs 800psi, since the day I purchased it and have yet to blow an o-ring.

You can find chronographs on here for around $50, I did, you just gotta be patient.

As far as paint, i've shoot alot of different paint with it and can't think of any that has ever been bad with the G5.
NOBLE818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:07 PM #18
iLovPieNCake

First think I would do, as recommended above, is to take apart the regulator and bolt engine, clean it and relube it. I don't believe the DP Lube is bad, I just think that it's old. Any marker that has lube sitting for a long time will bolt stick.

You can't really tune a gun to 285 fps without a chrono but someone who is experienced or has multiple markers should be able to eyeball 285 based on the drop.

If I had a new G5, I'd stick an Exalt Reg Grip on it and call it a day and begin to upgrade the rest of my gear.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:45 PM #19
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

iPaintSlinger has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
iPaintSlinger has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
iPaintSlinger has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterSolution View Post
CA_Tectonics Helped me with info on low pressure shims and which kit to get (I had a choice of 3 different kits) for my guerilla regulator. YouTube showed the exact steps and its extremely easy and cheap. for my reg. (less than $10 ) well worth the small amount of time and $$ to avoid high pressure o ring blow outs.

CA_Tectonics Gave me the specifics on info I couldn't find.... Ty !!! Take his advice
I see that you too have tapped into the endless knowledge that is the "CA_Techtonics Glossary"

CA_T has done it again.

iPS
iPaintSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:03 PM #20
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaintSlinger View Post
I see that you too have tapped into the endless knowledge that is the "CA_Techtonics Glossary"

CA_T has done it again.

iPS
LOL - don't know about the endless knowledge part though.