PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM #127
GraniteGargoyle

GraniteGargoyle is attending Decay of Nations VI
GraniteGargoyle supports Empire
Our field lets me get a fill up right before I leave so I can test, play, etc...
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM #128
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingDharma View Post
I have a used G4 on the way and the guy threw in some Exalt Vitamin G grease. Anyone have any experience with this lube or know if it's worth using? I can't tell if it's dow33-based or not and I haven't heard anyone mention it here. I ordered the Techt HE bolt kit also, if that makes any difference.

Also dumb question, but where do you guys fill up when you're doing maintenance? I'd like to set a day aside for a proper relube and to make sure I don't have any issues before I try to actually play, but I can't imagine doing all of this at the field in my car or whatever.
we have some of the exalt grease, its nice stuff. I still prefer the Violent PB jelly for spool valves though. Its thin and it stays where you put it. Shot my luxe all day and didnt have to re grease at the end of the day (but i did anyways, you always should)

I also fixed an olldddd sft shocker that had some bolt stick (first 2-3 shots puffed) buy just removing the bad lube it had an using violent pb jelly. Great for spool valves.

monkey poo is also stupid good for these guns. We ran one of our g4s hard all day and no leaks, stick or any issues.
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 PM #129
TheFlyingDharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxx04 View Post
we have some of the exalt grease, its nice stuff. I still prefer the Violent PB jelly for spool valves though. Its thin and it stays where you put it.
So is the Vitamin G too thick then, you think? I mean can order a different lube, but every site seems to want at least $5 to ship a little $10 tube of grease so I'm trying to avoid it if I can. At the same time I don't want to waste the lube I have if it's going to cause more problems than it'll fix. Seems like the G4's pretty picky from what I've read.

edit: Looks like lurker lube is only $8 shipped. You mentioned them in the OP, is it still something you'd recommend or should I go with Violent? Any cheap sources for Violent?

Last edited by TheFlyingDharma : 01-06-2013 at 11:43 PM.
TheFlyingDharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:28 AM #130
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

lurker lube is my go to grease for dp guns. i tend to be the guy everyone gives their gun too to tech and thats what i use. it has served me well for 2 or so years.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 AM #131
TheFlyingDharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxx04 View Post
lurker lube is my go to grease for dp guns. i tend to be the guy everyone gives their gun too to tech and thats what i use. it has served me well for 2 or so years.
Cool, think I'll pick some up then. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 PM #132
hudsonisawesome

hudsonisawesome is playing at Living Legends VI
hudsonisawesome owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
hudsonisawesome supports Team VICIOUS
hudsonisawesome has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I need help i cant get my reg to come apart its like its glued on there i cant twist off help me
Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 AM #133
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonisawesome View Post
I need help i cant get my reg to come apart its like its glued on there i cant twist off help me
Toss it in the freezer for an hour or so. Also, use a the bottom of a mouse pad to get a good grip on it. Ideally, you should use a couple of strap wrenches.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:00 AM #134
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

or the right size Allen key socket and a 3/4 socket wrench.. like i said replying to your pm.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 PM #135
stuff21397

I've always wondered what people are using for lube on their g4's. I oddly a enough have been using dow55 (just for the breach and the bolt sail oring). It stopped my slight leak and it is surprisingly slick and it allowed me to turn of my abs. What do you guys use?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:24 PM #136
GraniteGargoyle

I use Monley poo on mine. It's a Dow 33 based lube. From what I understand you only want to use 55 on static orings. It swells the orings and makes a good seal but if you use it on moving ones, you will get sticking and malfunctions. IF I understand correctly. I typically only use 55 on reg and asa rings on my G3s.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 PM #137
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

Dow55 might work alright for a little bit but long term the constant swelling effect might cause orings to come loose during cycling.

if its working, then fine but I suggest finding something better like monkey poo, lurker lube, violent pb jelly, gun sav.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 PM #138
liverlip

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I vote Monkey Poo too. It is what I use on all my markers. My G series being my main shooter, it gets Pood the most.

][nvert User IS A THIEF
liverlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 AM #139
stuff21397

I do no thqt it is supposed to swell the orings and that is why it tried it because after changing out the orings i stilled had a leak amd after the dow 55 it was gone.

Also all the orings in the g4's breach are static so it should work but if i have any issues ill let you guys know, and i have slick honey and dow33 incqse qnything happens.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 PM #140
TheFlyingDharma

Hate to keep asking the same questions, but my G4 finally came today and I'm having problems getting the top half of my reg off. Bottom half comes off just fine, but I can't get it all off in one piece and the top half is really stuck on there. I can't imagine putting the entire marker in the freezer is a good thing, and I feel like any sort of wrench or vise grip I try will just **** up the ano. Any tips?

It's possible that the previous owner sealed it with loctite or something...

Last edited by TheFlyingDharma : 01-14-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 PM #141
GraniteGargoyle

Use the underside of a mouse pad. Works great. If they loctited it, we'll just say that is not a good idea, but should still come loose. If you are getting the bottom off, you may be able to get the proper size allen wrench in there to take it off. Think it's a 3/8 inch.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM #142
TheFlyingDharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteGargoyle View Post
Use the underside of a mouse pad. Works great. If they loctited it, we'll just say that is not a good idea, but should still come loose. If you are getting the bottom off, you may be able to get the proper size allen wrench in there to take it off. Think it's a 3/8 inch.
Not having any luck with the mouse pad thing, it's seriously stuck on there. I think I see the part you're talking about that can take an allen key. (It looks mostly circular but there are 6 little grooves in it, rather than your typical hex hole?)

I don't have an allen wrench that big, but I guess I'll make a quick run to Home Depot for a 3/8 and a strap wrench just in case.

edit: Strap wrench just slips on the aluminum, and a 3/8 allen key fits nicely but I can't get enough torque on the little end for that to matter. I tried hammering the allen key against my better judgment and even that didn't help. I'm worried if I keep trying that it'll just strip the hole since it's not a solid hex shape. **** me.

Last edited by TheFlyingDharma : 01-14-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 PM #143
geckx7
Ballin' out with blanks

geckx7 supports Team VICIOUS
geckx7 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
geckx7 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Not having any luck with the mouse pad thing, it's seriously stuck on there. I think I see the part you're talking about that can take an allen key. (It looks mostly circular but there are 6 little grooves in it, rather than your typical hex hole?)

I don't have an allen wrench that big, but I guess I'll make a quick run to Home Depot for a 3/8 and a strap wrench just in case.

edit: Strap wrench just slips on the aluminum, and a 3/8 allen key fits nicely but I can't get enough torque on the little end for that to matter. I tried hammering the allen key against my better judgment and even that didn't help. I'm worried if I keep trying that it'll just strip the hole since it's not a solid hex shape. **** me.
Take a closed end wrench, smaller in size, put the Allen key thru it, and turn. Should give you the leverage you need. Other wise use a pipe on the Allen key.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 PM #144
TheFlyingDharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckx7 View Post
Take a closed end wrench, smaller in size, put the Allen key thru it, and turn. Should give you the leverage you need. Other wise use a pipe on the Allen key.
Man of the hour!

It figures my 3/8 open wrench is somehow MIA from my toolbox, but I threw a vise grip on the allen wrench and it did the trick. Thanks for the idea, honestly don't know why I didn't think of it. Now I can finally move on!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:16 AM #145
geckx7
Ballin' out with blanks

geckx7 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
geckx7 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Man of the hour!

It figures my 3/8 open wrench is somehow MIA from my toolbox, but I threw a vise grip on the allen wrench and it did the trick. Thanks for the idea, honestly don't know why I didn't think of it. Now I can finally move on!
2 heads> 1
Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 PM #146
TheFlyingDharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckx7 View Post
2 heads> 1
More like 4 heads. This subforum is awesome, thanks for all the help guys! I was able to do a full rebuild without breaking anything (as far as I can tell.) Going to go get my tank aired up today and make sure there are no leaks or other surprises, and then I should be good to go.

By the way I cleaned a lot of crusty red crap off of the upper reg threads after I finally got it off. Dried up paint or loctite red? I've heard of people using loctite blue, but red is supposed to be permanent, and it would certainly explain all the trouble I had getting it open. There was also quite a bit of dried up/crusted thread glue I had to scrape off of the solenoid screw. Is that normal for a stock solenoid?

Also one thing that had me ****ting myself for a moment is when I was removing the sensor wire from the board, my pliers touched the solenoid pins and actually sparked a bit. I was worried I'd shorted something out, but thankfully after putting everything back together the board, eyes and solenoid all seem to work fine still. The battery harness wasn't even connected when it happened, so I suspect that whatever built-up charge was left over from the last time I powered on the marker just needed to find a ground (me.) <9v isn't doing to do any bodily harm, but it's probably a good practice to try to power on the marker after removing the battery to drain out that last bit of juice so that you don't short anything on the board. Might be worth mentioning in the OP for people like me who might be new to this.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 PM #147
TheFlyingDharma

First impression after airing up and attempting to set the pressure as explained in the OP:

Holy **** this gun is loud. Never seemed this loud in the videos I watched. Even with the Techt HE bolt in, I'm not really comfortable trying to dial in the reg at home. The first shot made me think an o-ring exploded or something, but then every shot after that sounded the same. The breech o-ring looks fine, but I haven't taken the marker apart to check any of the others yet.

Looking at this video, it sounds more like the stock bolt than the L7HE.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need more lube somewhere or is this just something I'll have to deal with?