PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-31-2014, 08:23 AM #1
judgeclifford

G5 barrel bursting

Hi guys.
I bought a G5 in march. Every thing has been working well thus far, except lately, about the last month, ive starting getting barrel bursts. No shell in the breach, battery is new, marker velocity is 280fps. Im using a cf 68cu tank with a dye rotor hopper. I have been using the same tank and hopper on the marker since march. The bursts only happen when ramping. Not on single shot, and im using the same brand paint as before.

Any help would be much appreciated.
judgeclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 AM #2
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Check your rate of fire, this may cause the balls to collide in the barrel if your barrel is bore matched to the paint. One shot can move a bit slower than the shot after it from barrel drag, friction and FPS change.

ex. First shot with friction shoots 295 FPS, second shot with less friction shoots 310. If your rate of fire is too high while ramping they can collide in the barrel. So if you are shooting 25bps through a 14" bore matched barrel the drag can slow the ball down just enough for the one that follows to hit it. Hopefully this helps, if not just give us more details bro. (try and clear up your sentences too, no offense)

iPS
iPaintSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:03 AM #3
AndrewTheWookie
Disciple of the dark side

AndrewTheWookie is playing at Living Legends V
AndrewTheWookie is playing at Living Legends VI
AndrewTheWookie is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaintSlinger View Post
Check your rate of fire, this may cause the balls to collide in the barrel if your barrel is bore matched to the paint. One shot can move a bit slower than the shot after it from barrel drag, friction and FPS change.

ex. First shot with friction shoots 295 FPS, second shot with less friction shoots 310. If your rate of fire is too high while ramping they can collide in the barrel. So if you are shooting 25bps through a 14" bore matched barrel the drag can slow the ball down just enough for the one that follows to hit it. Hopefully this helps, if not just give us more details bro. (try and clear up your sentences too, no offense)

iPS
This does not happen.

Let's say he's doing something ridiculous like 20bps. This means that a paintball is being fired every 0.05s, and at 280fps a paintball will have traveled 14 feet before the next one is fired.

WTB Chameleon .50 cal Freak kit

Last edited by AndrewTheWookie : 08-01-2014 at 12:06 AM.
AndrewTheWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:11 AM #4
Ahura_Mazda
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTheWookie View Post
This does not happen.

Let's say he's doing something ridiculous like 20bps. This means that a paintball is being fired every 0.05s, and at 280fps a paintball will have traveled 14 feet before the next one is fired.
The math is sound but for some reason that seems weird. I guess if you account for relatively quick deceleration there will be more balls in the air. Maybe the paintballs are old stock and mishapen as a result. It's a little curious that they are exclusively barrel breaks and none in the breach.
Ahura_Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:04 AM #5
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTheWookie View Post
This does not happen.

Do you have any suggestions as to what's going on, or was the plan to simply disprove my post???
iPaintSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:49 AM #6
Jeep4Life

How's your paint to bore match? Is it old paint? Have you switched to different paint? Paint can swell over time. I've had this happen and cause breaks in the barrel. Was very annoying.
Jeep4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:01 AM #7
LoveMyMagMoreThanYou
Got my 'Mag! Let's GO!!!!

LoveMyMagMoreThanYou has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
LoveMyMagMoreThanYou has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
LoveMyMagMoreThanYou has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Well to be completely honest the 280fps calculation is simplistic, because, of course, the ball accelerates from 0fps TO 280fps. So, it will not travel 14 ft in that amount of time. I still don't think the balls are hitting together in the barrel, unless there is a double feed. I would suspect a more traditional answer. Maybe there is a burr in the barrel. Old paint? Bad batches. Improper storage of the paint. Something along those lines.

Crossfire Rolling ? for SuperGame XLVIII!!!!!!!!!!
For more info on SuperGame, visit: http://www.SuperGame.tv!

Last edited by LoveMyMagMoreThanYou : 08-01-2014 at 11:04 AM.
LoveMyMagMoreThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:34 PM #8
AndrewTheWookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMagMoreThanYou View Post
Well to be completely honest the 280fps calculation is simplistic, because, of course, the ball accelerates from 0fps TO 280fps. So, it will not travel 14 ft in that amount of time
It takes anywhere from ~2-5 milliseconds on average for a paintball to accelerate to full velocity. The 20bps in my previous example is a 50 millisecond cycle window, so lets err on the side of caution and say that the paintball spent 10ms in the barrel, and 40ms flying through the air at 280fps. That's still over 11 feet of distance traveled before the next paintball even begins to travel down the barrel.

So 14 feet was an overestimation, but not by much.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:28 AM #9
LoveMyMagMoreThanYou
Got my 'Mag! Let's GO!!!!

LoveMyMagMoreThanYou has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
LoveMyMagMoreThanYou has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
LoveMyMagMoreThanYou has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Don't get to testy. I was just being as picky as you we're.

Crossfire Rolling ? for SuperGame XLVIII!!!!!!!!!!
For more info on SuperGame, visit: http://www.SuperGame.tv!
LoveMyMagMoreThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:31 AM #10
judgeclifford

Thanks for the replies.

My ROF is set to 12.5bps. I havent changes brand of paint. Paint shelf life is about 3 weeks old. I've tried experimenting with dwell time and still no joy. Marker velocity fluctuates between 275bps and 285bps if that can provide any more solutions.
judgeclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:58 AM #11
AndrewTheWookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMagMoreThanYou View Post
Don't get to testy. I was just being as picky as you we're.
Lol "testy." Sure. I guess if using math, data and logic makes me testy then so be it. Is everyone else who does the math when you make assumptions testy as well?

I just realized I haven't yet actually addressed the OP in this thread - my inclination is to say it's just the quality of paint that took a nosedive. Even when using the exact same type of paint, different batches can act differently. The interaction of the hopper and paint during rapid rates of fire or the interaction of the ball stack and breech during rapid fire might be a potential cause of the issues. A lot of times the stress from the hopper or bolt on bad paint can show up as a barrel break once the power pulse of the air hits it so even though it looks like it might be a barrel issue, the problem could be much further up in the chain.

Last edited by AndrewTheWookie : 08-02-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:54 AM #12
CA_Tectonics

Have you checked your detents to make sure they are retracting? You should be able to easily push them in with your finger. If not, take the eye covers off and give them and the springs a good cleaning.

If the detents are fine, check to see if you are getting any rollback. With the hopper off, air up and look to see where the front edge of the bolt is. It should be right at the bottom edge of the feedneck. Put a single ball in and see if it rolls backwards into the face of the bolt. A tiny bit is OK ( less than a mm), a lot is not. Take the paintball out and air off (be sure shoot out the air too).

Next is to look at the ball stack to see if the next ball in the stack - right above the one in the breach - is sitting low and being clipped. Take the barrel, back cap, and bolt off. Put your hopper on and turn it on. Look through the front and back of the breach to see if you can see the bottom of that 2nd ball hanging low. As Andrew indicated, it is possible that the next ball is just barely getting clipped but is able to stay intact enough in the breach but busts in the barrel. Or it simply could be bad paint.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 AM #13
PaperBoyWS
"Hell Must Fear Us"

PaperBoyWS owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
PaperBoyWS has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PaperBoyWS has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tectonics View Post
Have you checked your detents to make sure they are retracting? You should be able to easily push them in with your finger. If not, take the eye covers off and give them and the springs a good cleaning.

If the detents are fine, check to see if you are getting any rollback. With the hopper off, air up and look to see where the front edge of the bolt is. It should be right at the bottom edge of the feedneck. Put a single ball in and see if it rolls backwards into the face of the bolt. A tiny bit is OK ( less than a mm), a lot is not. Take the paintball out and air off (be sure shoot out the air too).

Next is to look at the ball stack to see if the next ball in the stack - right above the one in the breach - is sitting low and being clipped. Take the barrel, back cap, and bolt off. Put your hopper on and turn it on. Look through the front and back of the breach to see if you can see the bottom of that 2nd ball hanging low. As Andrew indicated, it is possible that the next ball is just barely getting clipped but is able to stay intact enough in the breach but busts in the barrel. Or it simply could be bad paint.
CA_Tectonics make a great point with the detents.

My friend's Angel does the same thing because he's too cheap to buy new detents. What is going on is that his Rotor is double feeding. While there is one ball sitting comfortably in the breach another has begun to roll down the barrel so they end up colliding mid-barrel and breaking.

Also, try a different barrel just to knock that out of the equation.
TiPX/TPX Aftermarket Parts List
Empire Trracer. Tippmann SL-68 II. Tippmann TiPX. DP Rev-I. PE Geo+. Sheridan KP3. Milsig MK3 CQB Pro. 2k2 WGP pump 'cocker. WGP Trilogy Pro.
PaperBoyWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:10 AM #14
Darrin79

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaintSlinger View Post

iPS
Darrin79 is offline   Reply With Quote