PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-16-2014, 05:17 PM #1
Ahura_Mazda
Wannabe

FX OLED brightness

I picked up my FX used and can see the screen just fine inside, but once I go outside to play I cannot see a thing. I even shadow the screen with my hand or go into my car to block light enough to see and I can't ever see it. I have replaced the battery a couple times and adjusted the board settings to the highest brightness level. I have read of screen burn but have no idea if the screen used to be brighter, or if this is just how it is. I don't know anyone at my field that has one either to compare. I guess I am wondering if this is normal, because I have just had to memorize values for changing modes while playing but it makes tuning with the new techt stuff a royal pain. Can something be done or am I just SOL?
Ahura_Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2014, 06:06 PM #2
CA_Tectonics

Have you checked if the screen just came unplugged? If it IS plugged in, try unplugging it then plugging it back in.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:15 PM #3
Ahura_Mazda
Wannabe

Alright I will try that and see what happens.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:03 PM #4
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Mine does the same, I have learned to just live with it. The board works fine so I am passive about it. I would like a fix tho, so I will keep an eye on this thread for sure. Also will try this fix, thanks CA_T.

iPS
iPaintSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 PM #5
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Also I would love to hear your set up bro, what items do you have from Techt? What configuration do you run the settings? If you have the Techt Ram how do you assemble it?

iPS
Old 07-16-2014, 11:15 PM #6
Ahura_Mazda
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tectonics View Post
Have you checked if the screen just came unplugged? If it IS plugged in, try unplugging it then plugging it back in.
Ok so I took it apart and couldn't see where it plugged in. There were just a bunch or points where it was soldered to the board. I made sure that none of the solder points were loose and made sure the battery, noid and eye wires were in securely.

Paint slinger, so far I have a NDZ volumizer, LAW ram, and violent products trigger. My hush bolt actually should have been here today but wasn't so I haven't installed it. I also haven't had a chrono to help me tune everything. So far I have the ram as light as it can go and I hope that I can get consistent 280-300 fps readings. If I can I will be ecstatic because I was a little disappointed with the vibration and kick of the stock ram and the test shots in the backyard with the new ram have almost completely eliminated it

I will post more when I get the bolt and get around the chrono.

Last edited by Ahura_Mazda : 07-16-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 PM #7
CA_Tectonics

Give me a few.....I'll post a pic up....
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Old 07-17-2014, 12:04 AM #8
CA_Tectonics

Alright.....here is a pic of where the OLED screen connects to the rest of the board. The connection is made with a small, orange ribbon wire that plugs into a connector on the back of the screen. There are two black tabs on either side that you will need to unlock first before pulling the ribbon wire out. I believe you just need to pop the black tabs down away from the connector, then unplug the wire. Go slowly and carefully. Oh, and it will likely be WAY easier to do this with the board OUT of the marker.

Here is a pic of the connector, the ribbon wire, and one of the black tabs:

Old 07-17-2014, 12:08 AM #9
Ahura_Mazda
Wannabe

Got it! Ca_tectonics you're the man. I'll give it a go.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:36 AM #10
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahura_Mazda View Post
Got it! Ca_tectonics you're the man. I'll give it a go.
Good luck. Hopefully it is as simple as unplugging and plugging it back in.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:40 PM #11
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Quote:
Paint slinger, so far I have a NDZ volumizer, LAW ram, and violent products trigger. My hush bolt actually should have been here today but wasn't so I haven't installed it. I also haven't had a chrono to help me tune everything. So far I have the ram as light as it can go and I hope that I can get consistent 280-300 fps readings. If I can I will be ecstatic because I was a little disappointed with the vibration and kick of the stock ram and the test shots in the backyard with the new ram have almost completely eliminated it

I will post more when I get the bolt and get around the chrono.
I have everything minus the trigger. The Hush bolt is so much quieter than the stock one, but I do believe that the stock bolt is better for air efficiency. I also have the DP PMD (swapped DP gauge for Axe/Mini guage) so I am able to get an accurate read out on my Operating pressure of 95 psi. I get very consistent shots and it's very efficient. Hopefully all goes well with your FX.

iPS
Old 07-17-2014, 12:43 PM #12
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tectonics View Post
Alright.....here is a pic of where the OLED screen connects to the rest of the board. The connection is made with a small, orange ribbon wire that plugs into a connector on the back of the screen. There are two black tabs on either side that you will need to unlock first before pulling the ribbon wire out. I believe you just need to pop the black tabs down away from the connector, then unplug the wire. Go slowly and carefully. Oh, and it will likely be WAY easier to do this with the board OUT of the marker.

Here is a pic of the connector, the ribbon wire, and one of the black tabs:

If this works I am buying you a round of drinks the next time you are in NY. I will give this a try right now and will post results after. Wish me luck. *crosses fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes and ears*

iPS
Old 07-17-2014, 02:08 PM #13
Ahura_Mazda
Wannabe

Alright so I took the board out, detached the ribbon and put it back in snug and made sure the side locking mechanisms were secure, but it didn't have an effect On the brightness . CA_Tectonics, can you see your fx Board fine in the sun?
Old 07-17-2014, 02:11 PM #14
Ahura_Mazda
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaintSlinger View Post
I have everything minus the trigger. The Hush bolt is so much quieter than the stock one, but I do believe that the stock bolt is better for air efficiency. I also have the DP PMD (swapped DP gauge for Axe/Mini guage) so I am able to get an accurate read out on my Operating pressure of 95 psi. I get very consistent shots and it's very efficient. Hopefully all goes well with your FX.

iPS
Oh nice, sometimes I wish I had a gauge on the fx. What's your configuration on the LAW ram? And when you were adjusting your dwell (I noticed yours was at 3 ms in another thread) did you adjust it until you got inconsistent FPS readings, then bumped it up 1 ms?
Old 07-17-2014, 02:38 PM #15
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Quote:
Alright so I took the board out, detached the ribbon and put it back in snug and made sure the side locking mechanisms were secure, but it didn't have an effect On the brightness . CA_Tectonics, can you see your fx Board fine in the sun?
Same here... I actually pulled the ribbon through the back end of the board to ensure that I could wipe it clean. I am still just as dim as I started. I am sure that CA_T has some other idea, so I will just wait on it.

Quote:
Oh nice, sometimes I wish I had a gauge on the fx. What's your configuration on the LAW ram? And when you were adjusting your dwell (I noticed yours was at 3 ms in another thread) did you adjust it until you got inconsistent FPS readings, then bumped it up 1 ms?
My LAW ram is set to it's lightest config. I was lazy and didn't do the proper dwell tuning. I just simply lowered it by 1ms from the stock settings.. I am sure that I can get it down to 2ms but I thought that to be craziness lololol.

Also I need for you to let me know if when you receive your Hush bolt does your marker air up without any leaks or does it leak down the barrel??? If it does leak down the barrel then remove the front o-ring and try again. This should stop the leak or at least it does in my situation. I have some ideas as to why this is a fix, but it is a lot to type. keep me in the know bro and good luck.

iPS
Old 07-17-2014, 03:10 PM #16
Ahura_Mazda
Wannabe

Aw I see well it seems like 3 ms is working fine for you, hopefully mine can be lowered to a similar number. Thanks for the heads up on the bolt! It
Should be here today so I will tell you how it goes. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

On another note do you like the stock trigger? I don't know what was up with mine but it had a ton of side to side play even after taking Off the grip frame, and readjusting so that's why I got the VP trigger, and I don't have any side to side play now
Old 07-17-2014, 03:52 PM #17
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Quote:
On another note do you like the stock trigger? I don't know what was up with mine but it had a ton of side to side play even after taking Off the grip frame, and readjusting so that's why I got the VP trigger, and I don't have any side to side play now
Yes I have noticed the side play in the stock trigger. I am a huge fan of keeping stock triggers on my markers. I have seriously considered getting the Deuce trigger to eliminate the side play. For the most part I do enjoy the stock triggers functionality, great for semi-auto players and psp players.

iPS
Old 07-17-2014, 07:54 PM #18
Ahura_Mazda
Wannabe

I know there is a mod with thin plastic that can eliminate side to side play or reduce it if you want to keep the stock trigger.

So I got the bolt, threw it in (putting the techt jewel took longer than anything because I can be a perfectionist with some things) and it shoots great, no leaks. I went and shot off some rounds and am very satisfied with the sound signature. Techt has made me really happy with just two products and I'm excited to get it dialed in
Old 07-17-2014, 08:13 PM #19
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

The leak didn't happen on a friends FX when I put my Hush Bolt in. So there is something wrong with my marker. I keep the o-ring on the bolt, I have to either remove the bolt from the marker before airing it up or air it up then push the bolt forward a little. These two things stop the leak. The other thing that stops the leak is to fire one shot . It seems to be something blocking or restraining the the air. I'll figure it out soon enough.

Where the front door is CA_T with more suggestions on how to fix this brightness issue that the two of us are having???

iPS
Old 07-17-2014, 08:26 PM #20
Ahura_Mazda
Wannabe

Interesting. I could be wrong and someone correct me if I am off base but my proshop told me the reason the second oring is slanted because of tolerance issues in a lot of FX's and sometimes that oring would shred. If that is indeed true, it wouldn't surprise me a whole lot that your marker has some weird issue with the hush bolt.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 PM #21
CA_Tectonics

Someone call?

Well, I tossed a battery in my FX, went outside in full sun, and I can not see anything on the screen. I did shade it with my hand and was able to make out the text on the screen.

I think it may have something to do with light reflecting off the board screen then back towards the board again when it hits that window in the frame. I was hoping that both of you guys just had a loose connection but apparently not. I brought it up because my ribbon cable came loose on my Rev-i one time.