PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-08-2014, 03:20 PM #1
ironyusa
in limbo

G3 Spec-R oring question

Has anybody experimented with the orings insider the body on the spec-r, g4 or g5? Based on the manual they're standard -017 and -018 (though the manual lists them as metric) orings. I am curious if anyone has tried urethane or x-rings in there?

Also, does the bumper on the back of the bolt just thread on? It appears so in the G4 manual, but that bugger is tight.

Last edited by ironyusa : 04-08-2014 at 03:39 PM.
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:28 PM #2
geckx7
Ballin' out with blanks

geckx7 supports Team VICIOUS
geckx7 supports Team VICIOUS
geckx7 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
geckx7 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
If the bumper is like the g5..... No.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:59 PM #3
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
Has anybody experimented with the orings insider the body on the spec-r, g4 or g5? Based on the manual they're standard -017 and -018 (though the manual lists them as metric) orings. I am curious if anyone has tried urethane or x-rings in there?

Also, does the bumper on the back of the bolt just thread on? It appears so in the G4 manual, but that bugger is tight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckx7 View Post
If the bumper is like the g5..... No.
Haven't tried other o-ring material in any of my DP markers. I am interested in this though. Good question .

As for the bumper.......I believe it is held in place by some sort of epoxy or something of that nature. Also (and I'm not 100% sure of this), I think those are just ridges on the bolt, not threads.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:31 PM #4
ironyusa
in limbo

They are definitely just ridges on the bumper. Just pick them forward and they'll come off. I was able to fit a -017 viton xring behind the bumper and get the bumper to snap back on the ridges. I lose about 1.5mm of forward motion assuming no compression, but I'll test it.

Getting those orings out is going to be a beast.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:39 PM #5
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
Ive tried X rings and polly. I didnt really care for how much more friction they caused at first. Viton seemed to fit nicely compared to buna.

Right now I think I have hbnr and viton in one of our G4s but thats it. I did not spend much time on the subject because there does not seem to be much to gain from a better oring. There are only 3 moving orings and to be honest, the factory fit is pretty good from what I have seen.
MacDev Clone GTi
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:14 PM #6
ironyusa
in limbo

Out of curiosity, what kind of "gain" were you looking for?

HNBR, viton and urethane all have better long-term wear characteristics than buna with urethane being the best. All I could really see from the xring would be something like better shot consistency which is almost impossible to test and/or reduced bolt stick/ lower dwell. With urethane it'd just be the reliability of the seal over extended use.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:31 PM #7
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

I was going for better consistency (in theory) with the xring. The fit seemed tighter though so i went back to buna.

With Polly I love the long term wear gains but the fit was too tight for my liking. I find the same on my Clone. I use Viton on my clones bolt, power tube, inner can. Polly on the valve.

In the G4 now I have hbnr just because its better than buna with no real downsides other than cost.
MacDev Clone GTi
Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 PM #8
ironyusa
in limbo

Are you running HNBR on the valve? If so, where did you find that 2mm x 13mm in that material?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:15 PM #9
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

No I am not. I dont think I was able to source ANY 2 x 13 unless it was buna.

I know the G3 specified a 90 duro on the valve but the G4 I think was 70 but dont quote me on that.

From my experience, the stem/valve oring rarely needs to be changed. The fitment is usually very loose.
MacDev Clone GTi
Old 04-09-2014, 06:35 AM #10
ironyusa
in limbo

Theoringstore.com started carrying 1.5mm X 11mm urethanes on my request, so I've emailed them asking about urethane or hnbr in 2mm x 13mm. I can say that I have 2 separate valves and bolts (on to tinker with) and one valve came with the 90duro oring and it sucked IMO. The 70 moved a lot more freely.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 AM #11
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

I cant comment on the G4/Spec R with the 90 duro right now. The G4 I do have is using a techt engine.

Every G3 I had had a great fit with the 90 duro. Im not even sure how it sealed but it always did. The G3 had a different oring iirc.
MacDev Clone GTi
Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 AM #12
ironyusa
in limbo

So, I looked at the manual wrong. The rear bolt oring is actually a 2x19mm metric oring.

I am in the process of having multiple metric orings sourced in HNBR. Despite the better material property specs or urethane, HNBR has been outlasting it in most of my critical sealing applications.