Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-29-2010, 06:04 PM #22
sicario.vzla

I am just going to give my personal insight after 8 months of crossfit.

Before Crossfit I had been playing indoor soccer, combined with regular weightlifting in moderation, and later tried out different alternatives including muay thai and kickboxing for about 5 months and Sprint triathlons.

I have about 8 friends with different athletic backgrounds, including baseball players, d1 wrestlers and jiu jitsu practitioners.

To put in short, the gains in performance are remarkable. If you just want to get big and look strong then do 8 reps in super sets 4 times a week. But crossfit has put me and different friends in a great place performance wise. I don't want to come here to bash anyones system or disrispect, I just want to share the opinion on how its changed our way of doing things and maybe some will give it a try.

For paintball I find it amazing training, specially if you play the Race2 Format. Your capacity to stay at your VO2 Max will increase, Withought having to be running on the treadmill or outside for miles and miles though you will be exposed to a good amount of running it will be combined with other movements.

Your Resistance to Fatigue and pain threshold will increase, that bad feeling you get when you run point after point after point starts to be redecuded because during crossfit trainning you take you lactate numbers through the rooof so frecuently your body will become more and more resistant to that vomiting feeling after lots of short sprints and muscle strains.

Crossfit is also functional, so running, getting up quickly changing direcction, jumping will be frequent.

Since started crossfit i have seen great gains in strength. I went from 10 pull-up max to 40 chest to bar pullups in 2 min, dead lifting went from 230 lbs (weaaaaak) to a 310 lbs ( not soooo weak ) nd so on i have ( and so do my friends ) measurable results of crossfit training. that also translate well to the paintball field.

Im not saying DROP your current trainning methods and do crossfit, but you can give it a try, plus the format is good to work with teammates and have some friendly competition on benchmark times etc. so maybe you can try some simple workouts and compete on that added to your weightlifting.

Some simple ones
Do 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats. = 1round.
Put a timer and try to get as many rounds as possible in 20min.

Its called a "Cindy"

This looks stupid, but believe me its a great workout to compete with your friends and get the hart pumping.

Sorry for the length, but thought the initial posting of two links isn't a great way to convince anyone to try this. Hope you guys give it a try.

and about eating paleo, you dont have to go caveman, but a good way to do it is by shopping by the perimeter of the supermarket, veggies, meat, nuts, fruits, little starch and avoid sugar.

Ive done it strictly for periods of times and your performance can be awesome on this diet and once you go off, you will feel you numbers go down at the gym.

enjoi
sicario.vzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2010, 06:09 PM #23
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

Rippetoe is Crossfit certified, so some respected people seem to support it.
Jlausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:49 PM #24
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicario.vzla View Post
Since started crossfit i have seen great gains in strength. I went from 10 pull-up max to 40 chest to bar pullups in 2 min, dead lifting went from 230 lbs (weaaaaak) to a 310 lbs ( not soooo weak ) nd so on i have ( and so do my friends ) measurable results of crossfit training. that also translate well to the paintball field.

enjoi
Lol, IIRC my deadlift started out at 285.

"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"
Pump Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:25 PM #25
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

You don't dead any more though I thought?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:33 PM #26
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

I dont, just saying that i was doing 285 without training.

"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"
Pump Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:40 PM #27
GJsuicide

Quote:
I am just going to give my personal insight after 8 months of crossfit.

Before Crossfit I had been playing indoor soccer, combined with regular weightlifting in moderation, and later tried out different alternatives including muay thai and kickboxing for about 5 months and Sprint triathlons.

I have about 8 friends with different athletic backgrounds, including baseball players, d1 wrestlers and jiu jitsu practitioners.

To put in short, the gains in performance are remarkable. If you just want to get big and look strong then do 8 reps in super sets 4 times a week. But crossfit has put me and different friends in a great place performance wise. I don't want to come here to bash anyones system or disrispect, I just want to share the opinion on how its changed our way of doing things and maybe some will give it a try.

For paintball I find it amazing training, specially if you play the Race2 Format. Your capacity to stay at your VO2 Max will increase, Withought having to be running on the treadmill or outside for miles and miles though you will be exposed to a good amount of running it will be combined with other movements.

Your Resistance to Fatigue and pain threshold will increase, that bad feeling you get when you run point after point after point starts to be redecuded because during crossfit trainning you take you lactate numbers through the rooof so frecuently your body will become more and more resistant to that vomiting feeling after lots of short sprints and muscle strains.

Crossfit is also functional, so running, getting up quickly changing direcction, jumping will be frequent.

Im not saying DROP your current trainning methods and do crossfit, but you can give it a try, plus the format is good to work with teammates and have some friendly competition on benchmark times etc. so maybe you can try some simple workouts and compete on that added to your weightlifting.

Some simple ones
Do 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats. = 1round.
Put a timer and try to get as many rounds as possible in 20min.

Its called a "Cindy"

This looks stupid, but believe me its a great workout to compete with your friends and get the hart pumping.

Sorry for the length, but thought the initial posting of two links isn't a great way to convince anyone to try this. Hope you guys give it a try.

and about eating paleo, you dont have to go caveman, but a good way to do it is by shopping by the perimeter of the supermarket, veggies, meat, nuts, fruits, little starch and avoid sugar.

Ive done it strictly for periods of times and your performance can be awesome on this diet and once you go off, you will feel you numbers go down at the gym.

enjoi
Thank you for sharing! I realize I probably went about this thread the wrong way. But this is what Im driving at.
GJsuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:41 PM #28
sicario.vzla

Some of us start out very weak. But there is progress.
That was m point. By no means I was saying I am super strong now. I am just a lot stronger than I was.

But the guys that Rx workouts at the gym have some upper 400s and there one 540lbs deadlift record on the wall. Im just not anywhere close to that level of strength ( yet )
Old 08-29-2010, 08:03 PM #29
LostFaction15
///Madeon

woaahhh a 400lb deadlift?

crossfit is garbage for strength training/bodybuilding

King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me

LostFaction15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:05 PM #30
sicario.vzla

2 of them look like lumberjacks. lol. one of them has competed in the CF Regionals ( South East ).
Old 08-29-2010, 08:07 PM #31
LGB (Banned)
.animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostFaction15 View Post
[X]TOLD
[X]****ING TOLD
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:21 PM #32
sicario.vzla

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostFaction15 View Post

crossfit is garbage for strength training/bodybuilding
Depens on how you work your regimen. A lot of crossfitters combine Strength trainning and crossfit, so they will do a stregnth wokout in the morning and somemetabolic conditioning in the afternoon or some freaks will do it right after.

Again, crossfit is more towards being fit all around. As good as you can be across a variety of aspects.

If you are ONLY looking to be strong then you can concentrate on that and be a fringe athlete.
But I would't say crossfit is garbage for strength training.

and I think a paintballer would benefit a lot more from crossfit than just bodybuilding, unless he just want to look good which is pretty common on the field so might be what some are after off the field too.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:24 PM #33
robbie_vlad
Shake N' Bake

robbie_vlad is playing at Living Legends III
Quote:
2 of them look like lumberjacks. lol. one of them has competed in the CF Regionals ( South East ).
He was being sarcastic. 400lb deadlift isn't really anything to write home about...unless you are a 105lb chick.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:37 PM #34
sicario.vzla

Not impressive for big dudes, but for sub 20min 5k runners. Yes.

Here is a profile of one of the good crossfitters at the Crossfit games.

http://scores2010.crossfit.com/scori...ikko-salo,123/

Fran Time 02:12 ( 21 Thrusters/pullups, 15 thusters pullups, 9 thruster/pullups) @ 95 lbs.
Helen Time 06:41
Grace Time 01:11 (30 Clean & Jerks @ 135 lbs)
Max Clean & Jerk 297
Max Snatch 220
Max Deadlift 539
Max Back Squat 418
Max Pullups 67
5K run time 17:34

Unless your goal is being big big and slow this is impressive.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:56 PM #35
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

Being big doesn't mean you aren't agile. If all you do is strength train, you can still be athletic. If you make a conscious effort to be agile then you can be. There was a tackle at Maryland that ran a 4.8 40 at 310lbs. A lot of it is genetics but wanting to be strong doesn't necessarily make you big and slow.

A lot of the people on this forum are football players and wrestlers, and are as agile as anybody else. Sure they won't be like 180lb RB's, but for a person of size it's respectable. Different goals.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 PM #36
sicario.vzla

I agree. Different goals.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 PM #37
robbie_vlad
Shake N' Bake

Quote:
Not impressive for big dudes, but for sub 20min 5k runners. Yes.

Here is a profile of one of the good crossfitters at the Crossfit games.

http://scores2010.crossfit.com/scori...ikko-salo,123/

Fran Time 02:12 ( 21 Thrusters/pullups, 15 thusters pullups, 9 thruster/pullups) @ 95 lbs.
Helen Time 06:41
Grace Time 01:11 (30 Clean & Jerks @ 135 lbs)
Max Clean & Jerk 297
Max Snatch 220
Max Deadlift 539
Max Back Squat 418
Max Pullups 67
5K run time 17:34

Unless your goal is being big big and slow this is impressive.
You are an idiot. I personally know a guy who is 6'4'' 250 and runs a 5ish minute mile (16min 5k) who pulls 700+, squats 600+, and benches right around 400.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:06 PM #38
sicario.vzla

No need to insult me.

Tell your friend if he exist to go to the crossfit games. He will make an easy 50k in cash in a couple of days.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 PM #39
LostFaction15
///Madeon

just watched a video of Salo, Mikko from that crossfit page

mind is blown that he deads 539(random *** number)
hes small as ****

King Kong Ain't Got **** On Me

LostFaction15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:13 PM #40
robbie_vlad
Shake N' Bake

Quote:
No need to insult me.

Tell your friend if he exist to go to the crossfit games. He will make an easy 50k in cash in a couple of days.
I don't think he'd be into crossfit, but if you are in the NYC area in Sept you should go see his fight. Or next year look for him in some triathlons. I don't really see the need to validate that he exists to some online person who's swinging on crossfit's nutsack as if it is God's gift to man. Like I said, I incorporate some crossfit into my routine, but only as a filler during cycling season.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:12 PM #41
GJsuicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_vlad View Post
You are an idiot. I personally know a guy who is 6'4'' 250 and runs a 5ish minute mile (16min 5k) who pulls 700+, squats 600+, and benches right around 400.
Wow, no need to come across like that. So what, you know one guy who is obviously a genetic freak... what about the rest of us normal people?
GJsuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 AM #42
Paintnoob13
**** Ohio

Paintnoob13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJsuicide View Post
Wow, no need to come across like that. So what, you know one guy who is obviously a genetic freak... what about the rest of us normal people?
you're an idiot also. Being big and still being able to move doesn't make you a genetic freak, it just means you work hard. If you truly believe that you can't get big and still be athletic then you are a fool.
Paintnoob13 is offline   Reply With Quote