PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-19-2010, 05:57 PM #1
y0da900
Nerdivore

My mechanical Aedes project

My kitty destroyed a months worth of work on my thumb drive this morning, so my plans to work on something a little more original got slammed to a halt. So I decided what better time to finally get started on my mechanical Aedes project. I shared a tiny bit about it in new ion's thread about his project, but I'll go into a lot more detail here as it progresses.

The gun is retrofitted into a Spyder body. If you haven't noticed by now, I like to put new systems into existing bodies because it is a hell of a lot faster and cheaper than building a new body. Can't be an all bad idea, look how far Intimidators have come....

Despite what most people have thought, and what I have even claimed myself, it is possible to get an Aedes style system into a Spyder body. There is no reason that the air transfer port between the tubes needs to be completely behind the bolt from the start, as long as there is enough of an overlap that air can get behind the bolt to start it forward.

I got the drive train done today, I'm hoping to get the valve done some time this weekend as well. It's near identical in function to the valve in my closed bolt Ion, but instead of an inline power tube, it takes a left at Albuquerque and goes to the top tube.

I tried making an aluminum linkage, but it turned out pretty ****ty, so I just turned down the head of a 3" 10-32 machine screw, and cut it to length. Wish I had just done that to begin with. I also just used a nut instead of making a new spring stop. With the flat faces on the nut, and the slot in the front of the linkage, I can just stick something next to the nut, and use a screwdriver on the front of the linkage face to adjust the valve throw - no special tools required.

The little conical piece is dual purpose - it helps reduce a bit of wobble in the system by locking the linkage into the bolt, and it eliminates the flat face between the ports in the bolt.

The middle o-ring groove is for a bolt bumper for the return stroke.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got part of the PCP valve done today - the spacer and one of the 2 valve bodies (the one the firing seal is made at). Took me a lot longer than I would have liked, boring almost 4" deep accurately on a 9x19 lathe takes a lot of patience, let alone getting a bore that is smooth enough to make a good seal. The spacer is somewhat multi-purpose. It holds the 2 valve components a set distance apart, but it also holds the pressure of the dump chamber. The design I'm running with has the valve in the back half of the gun instead of the front, and with all of the slots in the back half of a Spyder, something needs to be done.

The piston and rear valve body are hopefully tomorrow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got the rest of the valve done this morning. 2 shots on the piston, the first one I made last night had too small a lip that stops the forward movement, and it lodged itself into the valve. I've decided to just use screws to hold the valve and bolt assemblies into the body, the body is tapped for 10-32 screws and the assembly units have 3/16" holes that capture the machine screws and lock them in place.

Lower tube assembly. Uses the standard poppet valve retaining screw at the front, and a 10-32 machine screw to lock in the back end.

Now the similarities to my closed bolt Ion valve become a bit more apparent.

Piston retracted as if it were firing.

Piston forward as if it were filling the dump chamber

So I got it firing this afternoon. I have 2 normally closed valves running through a tee to the back port. Open the first valve, and the piston moves forward, sealing the valve and filling the chamber. Release the button, and it stays pressurized (pending leaks). Push the second valve, and the chamber behind the piston vents, forcing the piston rearwards. This isolates the supply air from the dump chamber and opens the main valve seal.

Of course, like many of my prototypes, I get off half a dozen shots before breaking it. I knew there was a reason I hadn't just used a nut when I designed the bolt assembly, I had the spring stop act as the bolt movement stop just like Colin did with the Aedes. I had set it up to stop upon full compression in the build though. A few solid shots, and my spring was toasted. I need to hit the hardware store, hopefully tomorrow, and grab a few more of the springs. I made a shim stop that goes between the spring and the nut that will make a positive stop against an inner lip of the bolt carrier, but I need to replace the spring before I see how effective it is.

Last edited by y0da900 : 03-26-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: keeping the first post updated
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2010, 06:23 PM #2
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

cool beans

thought about polishing?

ABET Accredited Level II Machinist - CNC programmer - Mech. Engineering Technologist
Polarst*r Engineering and Machine

ElPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:38 PM #3
y0da900
Nerdivore

The only metal that actually has any sliding contact is inside the bolt, and it's very smooth in there. I went with o-ring seals instead of slip fit with Delrin. That, and macro mode makes it look far worse than it actually is. I had to leave a little dykem on there for Spitle too.

Last edited by y0da900 : 03-19-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 PM #4
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

you using a merlin extrision for the body like colin did?

ABET Accredited Level II Machinist - CNC programmer - Mech. Engineering Technologist

Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 PM #5
y0da900
Nerdivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
you using a merlin extrision for the body like colin did?
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
The gun is retrofitted into a Spyder body. If you haven't noticed by now, I like to put new systems into existing bodies because it is a hell of a lot faster and cheaper than building a new body. Can't be an all bad idea, look how far Intimidators have come....
Nah, Spyders are cheaper, faster, and easier.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:28 PM #6
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

now dont I feel like a moron

I guess I only focused on the last half of the post

cant wait for updates

Old 03-19-2010, 08:19 PM #7
FMprime
emirpMF

Sweet project, are you going to test it with a spyder valve first?

Mecha Godzilla: the bolt don't move because it's a spool-valve prototype thingy.
FMprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:09 PM #8
y0da900
Nerdivore

Nope, I'm just going straight for the PCP. I don't own a Spyder trigger frame, so it makes it tough to try that method. I bought a bag o'Spyder parts on the Tinker's Guild ~4 years ago for 20 bucks that had 5 bodies, and a boatload of internals and accessories - but no frames. I bought them pretty much exclusively for things like this.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:39 PM #9
y0da900
Nerdivore

Got part of the PCP valve done today - the spacer and one of the 2 valve bodies (the one the firing seal is made at). Took me a lot longer than I would have liked, boring almost 4" deep accurately on a 9x19 lathe takes a lot of patience, let alone getting a bore that is smooth enough to make a good seal. The spacer is somewhat multi-purpose. It holds the 2 valve components a set distance apart, but it also holds the pressure of the dump chamber. The design I'm running with has the valve in the back half of the gun instead of the front, and with all of the slots in the back half of a Spyder, something needs to be done.

The piston and rear valve body are hopefully tomorrow.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:52 PM #10
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:42 PM #11
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

has been a member for 10 years
Very excited!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:53 PM #12
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

looking good for a 9 x 19 (!)

Old 03-20-2010, 09:27 PM #13
Leafy
Uses the man pedal

Leafy helped look for balloons
niiiiice.
Gear Bag Sale!

Feedback More Feedback
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:47 PM #14
new ion?
Uni Sucks....

nice. If my electro aedes takes long enough, I may just end up making it mech.

mech's cooler.

PS - lost the rosencore solder... i'm pissed.

oh hey, I have like 2' of 1" delrin if you wanna hunk lemme know.

PPPS - are you going to use a sealed dump chamber?

Last edited by new ion? : 03-24-2010 at 12:15 AM.
new ion? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:22 PM #15
y0da900
Nerdivore

Got the rest of the valve done this morning. 2 shots on the piston, the first one I made last night had too small a lip that stops the forward movement, and it lodged itself into the valve. I've decided to just use screws to hold the valve and bolt assemblies into the body, the body is tapped for 10-32 screws and the assembly units have 3/16" holes that capture the machine screws and lock them in place.

Yes, it is a sealed dump chamber, that is what allows it to fire mechanically.

Lower tube assembly. Uses the standard poppet valve retaining screw at the front, and a 10-32 machine screw to lock in the back end.

Now the similarities to my closed bolt Ion valve become a bit more apparent.

Piston retracted as if it were firing.

Piston forward as if it were filling the dump chamber

So I got it firing this afternoon. I have 2 normally closed valves running through a tee to the back port. Open the first valve, and the piston moves forward, sealing the valve and filling the chamber. Release the button, and it stays pressurized (pending leaks). Push the second valve, and the chamber behind the piston vents, forcing the piston rearwards. This isolates the supply air from the dump chamber and opens the main valve seal.

Of course, like many of my prototypes, I get off half a dozen shots before breaking it. I knew there was a reason I hadn't just used a nut when I designed the bolt assembly, I had the spring stop act as the bolt movement stop just like Colin did with the Aedes. I had set it up to stop upon full compression in the build though. A few solid shots, and my spring was toasted. I need to hit the hardware store, hopefully tomorrow, and grab a few more of the springs. I made a shim stop that goes between the spring and the nut that will make a positive stop against an inner lip of the bolt carrier, but I need to replace the spring before I see how effective it is.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:45 PM #16
new ion?
Uni Sucks....

rockin a pretty small dump chamber eh?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:24 PM #17
y0da900
Nerdivore

~.9 cubic inches, should be able to have a reasonable pressure with that size chamber. Probably around 200-250psi.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:16 AM #18
new ion?
Uni Sucks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
~.9 cubic inches, should be able to have a reasonable pressure with that size chamber. Probably around 200-250psi.
ahh, yea i guess going mech removes one of the pieces to the dwell/pressure/volume equation.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 PM #19
FirePro84
Airsmith - Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
FirePro84 is a Supporting Member
FirePro84 plays in the USPL
FirePro84 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
FirePro84 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
FirePro84 supports Empire
wow, i really want to see how this turns out...personally i would really love to get my hands on one of the original Aedes markers...the design was sweet.
- Paintball Tek on FaceBook

- w w w . P a i n t b a l l T e k . c o m
FirePro84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 PM #20
new ion?
Uni Sucks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePro84 View Post
wow, i really want to see how this turns out...personally i would really love to get my hands on one of the original Aedes markers...the design was sweet.
build one. it's the easiest way. plus, it was only one off, so you're chances of getting that are about as good as a **** popsicle tasting good.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 PM #21
FirePro84
Airsmith - Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
FirePro84 is a Supporting Member
FirePro84 plays in the USPL
FirePro84 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
FirePro84 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
FirePro84 supports Empire
lol, mmmm, popsicle...

one day when i can get my machining tools all together...or Craig lets me use his stuff when it's not busy (not likely...)
- Paintball Tek on FaceBook

- w w w . P a i n t b a l l T e k . c o m
FirePro84 is online now   Reply With Quote