Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-25-2010, 02:23 PM #1
strangeimpulse2003

How long past hydro date can i wait?

so i have a tank with a birthdate of 04 and i was wondering if there was a timeline in which after tank is expired that you need to get hydro. Or would i be able to wait a year or 2?
strangeimpulse2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:41 PM #2
=Tac=

=Tac= is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
You can not use it past it hydro date. If you're asking if you can hold off on the hydro you can, as long as it passes the hydro test you'll be set for 3-5 years, having it sit out of hydro has no effect on how safe the tank is.
=Tac= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:07 PM #3
strangeimpulse2003

thank you very much, that was exactly what i needed to know
Old 08-25-2010, 03:22 PM #4
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Tanks have a max 15 year life span generally. So just be aware of that as well. Just confirm through the sticky your DOT number and that will tell you if it's a 3 or 5-year tank. That's how long you are legally allowed to go without a hydro test. Once you hit that date, it's time to rehydro and get it recertified.
I waited about a year or so after one of my tanks expired before I finally got it hydro tested; I just didn't use it while it was out of hydro.
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:38 PM #5
strangeimpulse2003

yea its almost going to be 2 years since its been out of hydro, i just didnt want to find out that it got old during that time and was not useable anymore
Old 08-25-2010, 04:51 PM #6
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the USPL
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
I don't like when people use the DOT reasoning as to why not to use an out of hydro tank... since, its LEGAL to fill/use an out of hydro tank (when it comes to DOT laws)

This has been confirmed here on PBN before.

So once the tank expires, it doesn't magically become a bomb... Granted, It's a dangerous thing to do, and you put not only your life/well being at risk, but others as well.
NoelyDeezNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:34 PM #7
DSDM
Dark Side Donut Master

DSDM plays in the PSP
DSDM donated to help Peyton Trent
DSDM owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DSDM owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DSDM is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelyDeezNutz View Post
I don't like when people use the DOT reasoning as to why not to use an out of hydro tank... since, its LEGAL to fill/use an out of hydro tank (when it comes to DOT laws)

This has been confirmed here on PBN before.

Link please?

If you are talking about an exemption letter given to a business it is an exception to the regulation for that business (kind of like a get out of jail free card). It is not a blanket statment for anyone and everyone.
PTI Certified Master Airsmith #2822
Sergeant First Class, U.S. Army, Retired (1983-2003)
Facebook

Last edited by DSDM : 08-25-2010 at 05:38 PM.
DSDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:26 PM #8
=Tac=

=Tac= is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I think it's more of a precautionary action. Cause honestly, why would pressure testing a tank this one time mean that it is completely save for another 5 years? 5 years is a long time and anything can happen, damage, dents, people storing the tank in oil ( ), but really, it's just a precautionary action to make sure that your tank is expectable of holding the required pressure safely. Given the nature of which tanks are used, I'm sure they are meant to hold far more then they are rated for, given the abuse they go through in their life spans.
=Tac= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:51 PM #9
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the USPL
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDM View Post
Link please?

If you are talking about an exemption letter given to a business it is an exception to the regulation for that business (kind of like a get out of jail free card). It is not a blanket statment for anyone and everyone.
Fields, for example, can use out of hydro tanks, as long as they don't leave the property.

An end user, can fill, use the tank, and empty it, with no issue of being illegal from DOT's end.

This is the link for the field tanks
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2040639

There was another thread where this was discussed (I can't find it right now though) And it was deemed legal by DOT laws, but illegal on the OSHA? side.
NoelyDeezNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 AM #10
DSDM
Dark Side Donut Master

DSDM plays in the PSP
DSDM is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelyDeezNutz View Post
Fields, for example, can use out of hydro tanks, as long as they don't leave the property.

An end user, can fill, use the tank, and empty it, with no issue of being illegal from DOT's end.

This is the link for the field tanks
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2040639

There was another thread where this was discussed (I can't find it right now though) And it was deemed legal by DOT laws, but illegal on the OSHA? side.
Yes the OSHA requirements protect the health and safety of the workers and major fines are involved with citation. A field with an exemption letter from the DOT is not exempt from OSHA regulations. THe end user can fill out of date tanks at home (where DOT and OSHA do not have juristiction) however if they transport the tanks on any public transportation route they are inviolation of the DOT. Fields can be be held liable under the DOT for out of date tanks being filled on their property that are not part of their exemption letter.

If you have a field and you want an exemption letter (for your tanks) it is better (legally) to have one addressed specifically to you from the DOT. That way when something does go wrong you are not left hanging in the wind and will only have to deal with OSHA.

Remember both are government agencies and interpretation letters are still prone to updates, revocation and litigation in the different districts/regions. I have had one OSHA compliance officer tell me that he wasn't concerned about something and have another cite the base for the same thing. If as a business you don't have a letter specifically addressed to your place of business you are running the risk of being inviolation of the regulations and having to fight it out in court.
Facebook

Last edited by DSDM : 08-26-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:06 PM #11
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 is Boss
Government laws are amazing in how open to interpretation they are sometimes, especially when it comes to inspections and things like that.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:53 PM #12
DSDM
Dark Side Donut Master

DSDM plays in the PSP
DSDM is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris17 View Post
Government laws are amazing in how open to interpretation they are sometimes, especially when it comes to inspections and things like that.
You're not kidding. If you told two different OSHA compliance officers walk into the same building and find 10 things, one will find 10 different things than the other one did.
Facebook
Old 08-26-2010, 07:22 PM #13
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 is Boss
Heck, tell them to look at the same 10 things and you'll be lucky if they agree on half of them as far as being compliant or in violation the majority of the time.
Even ISO is the same way, my company just had an audit and the guy brought up something he never mentioned before for years and suddenly wanted changed. Something minor, but it was that way for years now all of a sudden it was an issue.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:02 AM #14
Gibbsinator
Ego5/Ion/Spyder

Gibbsinator owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Tac= View Post
I think it's more of a precautionary action. Cause honestly, why would pressure testing a tank this one time mean that it is completely save for another 5 years? 5 years is a long time and anything can happen, damage, dents, people storing the tank in oil ( ), but really, it's just a precautionary action to make sure that your tank is expectable of holding the required pressure safely. Given the nature of which tanks are used, I'm sure they are meant to hold far more then they are rated for, given the abuse they go through in their life spans.
Tanks are required to be tested at 5/3 of their operating pressure, that's 7.5k psi for a 4.k tank, and 5k psi for a 3k tank. That's a LOT of pressure, leaves a lot of margin for safety as well. You burst disk will go off at these pressures, because anything above this pressure is beyond the testing and unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris17 View Post
Heck, tell them to look at the same 10 things and you'll be lucky if they agree on half of them as far as being compliant or in violation the majority of the time.
Even ISO is the same way, my company just had an audit and the guy brought up something he never mentioned before for years and suddenly wanted changed. Something minor, but it was that way for years now all of a sudden it was an issue.
Haha, same thing here, we were doing something the same way for 10 years, and it was never an issue, then one guys come in and says something about it, along with about 20 other things, lol.
-Spyder Classic-
Gibbsinator is offline   Reply With Quote