Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-17-2010, 04:38 PM #64
benb1
Anti Smart Parts

benb1 donated to help Peyton Trent
benb1 helped look for balloons
benb1 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I haven't seen anything about another version past Mendel. I do know that Adrian is working on some Gen4 electronics which I may upgrade to, they're gonna be sooo nice. The metal extruder is kind of on the back burner as far as I know. I think he is focusing more on a universal feed system where you can toss in plastic scrap and it will use that to print.

Edit: I'll let you know when I start printing sets off. The first one I'm building isn't for me and I probably won't have more time to build my own until late in the semester/ Christmas break.
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2010, 05:40 PM #65
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
i feel like i need one of those, especially if i can back-to-the-future it and just throw in whatever and get stuff out. maybe once i get one of those job things and have some disposable income.
cww516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:13 PM #66
Spitlebug
I'm rule 34...

Spitlebug is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Spitlebug donated to help Peyton Trent
Spitlebug has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Spitlebug has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Spitlebug is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by benb1 View Post
I haven't seen anything about another version past Mendel. I do know that Adrian is working on some Gen4 electronics which I may upgrade to, they're gonna be sooo nice. The metal extruder is kind of on the back burner as far as I know. I think he is focusing more on a universal feed system where you can toss in plastic scrap and it will use that to print.

Edit: I'll let you know when I start printing sets off. The first one I'm building isn't for me and I probably won't have more time to build my own until late in the semester/ Christmas break.
Bah! That's the last thing I'd be working on. Sounds like someone might end up asphyxiating on plastic fumes.

IMHO, I'd be interested in reducing part numbers, increasing rigidity/accuracy and consolidating places to actually buy materials to construct one.

A one or two stop shop to build one of these would greatly improve the popularity I think.

I also think improvement of the control software (not so much hardware) such as auto filling structural supports would be good.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 PM #67
benb1
Anti Smart Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitlebug View Post
Bah! That's the last thing I'd be working on. Sounds like someone might end up asphyxiating on plastic fumes.

IMHO, I'd be interested in reducing part numbers, increasing rigidity/accuracy and consolidating places to actually buy materials to construct one.

A one or two stop shop to build one of these would greatly improve the popularity I think.

I also think improvement of the control software (not so much hardware) such as auto filling structural supports would be good.
Yea, that was a concern.. lol. From what I've seen though, they have all sorts of things going on. Two of the most notable would be the universal plastic feed, and the solder extruder for making circuit boards. I believe they have made the opto end stop boards exclusively from a Mendel.

I'm really not sure where you could reduce part numbers, unless you did a major overhaul of the whole design.

I would have to agree on the shops that sell items. I think I had to order from 6-7 different websites to get all the materials, and I got the hardware locally.

Haven't had any experience with the software yet, just picked up a computer to dedicate to this thing so I might give a prodding through soon. I have actually though of making this my senior design project, adding a second extruder to place filler material that can be dissolved later and also recoding the software to run it.

Last edited by benb1 : 09-17-2010 at 07:34 PM.
benb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:53 AM #68
Spitlebug
I'm rule 34...

Yeah when I first learned about RepRaps I was pretty excited because I want to get one of these as well:

http://www.nextengine.com/
Old 09-18-2010, 03:43 AM #69
Thorpydo
dede!

Thorpydo is a founding member
Hey guys- It's been a while. Nice to see that you guys are still kicking.

I will be finishing up my build shortly.
Mendel:
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/4663/imagepk.jpg
Electronics:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8...8512381280.jpg
Extruder:
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2...erspective.jpg
I'm off to a local 'hackerspace' meeting tomorrow morning. It looks like I will be the first in the area with a reprap and will printing parts for the other guys interested and a second set for myself.

In other news, I've left working for dye and have accepted a job with general atomics.
Thorpydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:14 PM #70
Spitlebug
I'm rule 34...

Now I really feel left out. What sort of work is general atomics?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:02 PM #71
Ryn_Droma

Ryn_Droma is playing at Living Legends VII
need to ask you guys for some help/advice. I'm trying to teach myself some 3d modeling. I'm using Google Sketchup cause I'm poor and it's free. I've made a few simple models and now I'm trying to do something that's proving to be rather difficult, make an Autococker trigger frame. I have the frame and have been trying to "reverse engineer" it with a digital caliper, ruler and rusty geometry. I'm stuck on the actual part your hand holds. I can't seem to figure out how to get the angle at which it comes down.

so we're all on the same page of what I'm working on;
Ryn_Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:08 PM #72
"T-MAC"
({})

"T-MAC" is playing at Living Legends III
"T-MAC" supports Bob Gurnsey
You could place the bottom of the trigger frame on a table and stand a protractor up behind it and guage the angle that way. Aren't those 45 degrees though?
"T-MAC" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:19 PM #73
Thorpydo
dede!

Looks like 70* and 75* which jives with what I recall when doing something similar.

You could have also traced it and used a protractor. Technology isn't the solution for everything

General Atomics is a San Diego based defense company. They build the predator airplanes, just a few miles from where dye is. That is a separate division though. I will be working on a rail gun.
http://atg.ga.com/EM/defense/railgun/index.php
Old 09-19-2010, 01:26 AM #74
hansolo8221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryn_Droma View Post
need to ask you guys for some help/advice. I'm trying to teach myself some 3d modeling. I'm using Google Sketchup cause I'm poor and it's free.
For the poor and free variety, look up Alibre Design Express. Much more functional than Sketchup.
hansolo8221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:17 AM #75
Ryn_Droma

Ryn_Droma is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpydo View Post
Looks like 70* and 75* which jives with what I recall when doing something similar.

You could have also traced it and used a protractor. Technology isn't the solution for everything

General Atomics is a San Diego based defense company. They build the predator airplanes, just a few miles from where dye is. That is a separate division though. I will be working on a rail gun.
I should probably go get one of those. Thanks for the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by "T-MAC" View Post
You could place the bottom of the trigger frame on a table and stand a protractor up behind it and guage the angle that way. Aren't those 45 degrees though?
I think it's called a "45 frame" due to it being similar to the design made famous/popular by the Colt 1911 45 pistol. That's always been my assumption anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansolo8221 View Post
For the poor and free variety, look up Alibre Design Express. Much more functional than Sketchup.
Thanks for the tip
Ryn_Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:21 AM #76
L_x
Alex Hodge

L_x works for a Paintball manufacturer
L_x posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
NICE. That is awesome.

I did design work on a UAV for a company couple of months ago;

That's a render of it composited into a photo, there are 3 versions, 1 seat, 2 seat, and full UAV. They hang from a parachute and cruise around.

Alex Hodge | Freelance Industrial Designer
Facebook
Portfolio
Youtube

Any posts I make are from myself as an individual and do not represent the views of the companies I design for.
L_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:38 PM #77
Thorpydo
dede!

Very nice- at first glance I didn't realize that was a render. What software are you using? Any post work in photoshop or the like?

I also checked out your website- well put together. I'd like to put something similar up but don't really have the know how and am too engulfed in other projects. Again, what software? Any tips?

The hippie in me is having some moral qualms with working on a missile system but will get over it one way or another. On the other hand, I am looking forward to learning from people that really know what they're doing.

In the spirit of show and tell, here is a picture of a 'tank' that I modeled and then printed for a friend's movie. The second two photos are of it in scene. He used stop motion to animate it.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:07 PM #78
Spitlebug
I'm rule 34...

LOL. Another trick I like to use so you can reduce any angular error as far as the angle the photo is taken with is to use a scanner. Then I align it in AutoCAD and scale it using known dims.

Very accurate that way.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:24 PM #79
L_x
Alex Hodge

L_x works for a Paintball manufacturer
L_x posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Very nice- at first glance I didn't realize that was a render. What software are you using? Any post work in photoshop or the like?
I usually do some post work but this particular render didn't need any, was done in Cinema4D although I usually use solidworks for everything.
Quote:
I also checked out your website- well put together. I'd like to put something similar up but don't really have the know how and am too engulfed in other projects. Again, what software? Any tips?
My website is well out of date and I'm slowly putting together an updated version, I created mine with just photoshop for images and notepad for coding, but I am looking into using wordpress [free blogging software] to power a portfolio website as they have a lot of templates for portfolios and it's much easier to keep up to date.
Quote:
The hippie in me is having some moral qualms with working on a missile system but will get over it one way or another. On the other hand, I am looking forward to learning from people that really know what they're doing.

In the spirit of show and tell, here is a picture of a 'tank' that I modeled and then printed for a friend's movie. The second two photos are of it in scene. He used stop motion to animate it.

[IMG]http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/4904/16moviepropsdeathboatsw.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4782/17moviepropsdeathboatpi.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6803/18moviepropsdeathboatpi.jpg[IMG]
Awesome, looks good. Reminds me of an episode of junkyard wars where one team tried to build a 'mud crawler' using auger style drive like your tank.

What projects were you involved with at DYE, if you're allowed to share? DYE lead the industry in terms of product design in my opinion, I love their style.

Alex Hodge | Freelance Industrial Designer
Facebook
Portfolio
Youtube

Any posts I make are from myself as an individual and do not represent the views of the companies I design for.
L_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:23 PM #80
Thorpydo
dede!

I will look into wordpress. That sounds exactly like what I am looking for.

I don't believe I saw that episode of junkyard wars but it's certainly not a new concept. The Soviets had some monster tanks that used augers in snow terrain.

In terms of work at dye, I was involved in pretty much everything from 2005 forward, though not the masks or clothing. Working on the rotor was most definitely the highlight but it was all fun.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:26 PM #81
desertT1
The Burninator

Quote:
I will look into wordpress. That sounds exactly like what I am looking for.

I don't believe I saw that episode of junkyard wars but it's certainly not a new concept. The Soviets had some monster tanks that used augers in snow terrain.

In terms of work at dye, I was involved in pretty much everything from 2005 forward, though not the masks or clothing. Working on the rotor was most definitely the highlight but it was all fun.

Looking at that section (and not ever owning/taking apart a rotor) let me ask this; Is that ramp in the rear movable? It looks like you could put a hinge in the front and a spring in the back and make it so the paint will push it down but as the level gets lower, the weight on the spring is reduced. Ramp angles up as paint gets shot and you don't have any stragglers and get a higher capacity.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:14 PM #82
Thorpydo
dede!

That is how it functions.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:00 PM #83
desertT1
The Burninator

Quote:
That is how it functions.
Oh, cool. See how smart I are
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:42 PM #84
benb1
Anti Smart Parts

Quote:
Hey guys- It's been a while. Nice to see that you guys are still kicking.

I will be finishing up my build shortly.
Mendel:
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/4663/imagepk.jpg
Electronics:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8...8512381280.jpg
Extruder:
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2...erspective.jpg
I'm off to a local 'hackerspace' meeting tomorrow morning. It looks like I will be the first in the area with a reprap and will printing parts for the other guys interested and a second set for myself.

In other news, I've left working for dye and have accepted a job with general atomics.
Very nice looking. Whats the use of the second extruder built in? Filler material?