PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-17-2010, 02:52 PM #1
Grumpyoldman
GM, Extreme Sports Paintb

Memberships

We are looking at stating a Membership up at our field and store. What seems to be a fair price for 3 months, 6 months or yearly? We are leaning towards yearly.

Benefits will include either a 5% or 10% off all merchandise minus markers, waived field fees and air once per month (possibly free air all the time), Once a month members only events.

Looking for suggestions as my owners asked they got back from some team members $50 a year and 10% off all merchandise, this wont work on markers due to the low markup as we would lose alot on them.

So toss me your ideas if any have them, this is for store owners please!!
Spring Lake, NC 28390
(910) 823-2227

www.extremesportspaintball.com

Last edited by Grumpyoldman : 08-19-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Grumpyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2010, 04:07 PM #2
cngpballer
Not failure, Epic Failure

cngpballer supports Team VICIOUS
cngpballer supports Sherwood Forest
cngpballer posts videos on PbNation
cngpballer supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldman View Post
We are looking at stating a Membership up at our field and store. What seems to be a fair price for 3 months, 6 months or yearly? We are leaning towards yearly.

Benefits will include either a 5% or 10% off all merchandise minus markers, waived field fees and air once per month (possibly free air all the time), Once a month members only events.

Looking for suggestions as my owners asked they got back from some team members50% a year and 10% off all merchandise, this wont work on markers due to the low markup as we would lose alot on them.

So toss me your ideas if any have them, this is for store owners please!!
What field is this?
Need EKK gear? I got it! Pm me for details
F/S/T Grills. Bring me flex's or profits.
cngpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:52 AM #3
Grumpyoldman
GM, Extreme Sports Paintb

Sorry will not divluge that information at this time due to another competitor in my area who insists they are the only one around and they try to dump on our posts where ever they are. Trust me, We have been here longer than them and will be here when they are long gone. Now for the others please offer your suggestions.
Spring Lake, NC 28390
(910) 823-2227

www.extremesportspaintball.com

Last edited by Grumpyoldman : 08-20-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Grumpyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 AM #4
EagleIndoorPaintball

Currently considering a membership program myself for the new business I'm making.

Currently the membership business model I have is:

$199.00 for anyone that is currently enrolled in high school or college.

What this does is give them free air, discounted paint pricing, discounts on their entry to private parties, discount for their entry into tournament. Free case of field paint on their birthday.

The price for membership for everyone else is $299.00 with the same benefits.

The thoughts behind this pricing structure is to gain upfront capital while providing a long term benefit to the player. However, it's priced high enough that it's a "cost" that the consumer seriously wants to purchase and if they aren't serious then they aren't mad when they pay it and never come back because they forgot or whatever.

So far, the local population while they consider it high, once they hear the reasoning (and looking at the pricing of a year membership at the YMCA or local Gym membership... are usually very understanding.)

My 2 cents.
EagleIndoorPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:06 PM #5
GatSplat

We have some membership pricing... it only covers getting in and air... no other discounts. So instead of $20 entry, they can buy a pass:

* One Month $59.95
* Three Months $149.95
* Six Months $269.95
* One Year $359.95

That would be a huge savings for some of the players, but I doubt we've sold more than a hand full.

I would not spend too much time or effort thinking about it even, your main source of revenue will be from 1st time, and 2 or 3 time a year players, and they will not be interested in memberships.

I was talking to someone yesterday about the business model of paintball, and explained that spending a lot of time and effort marketing to a small market demographic is normally not a good business idea.

How many people in this country have a quality paintball gun, mask, pod pack, air tank, etc.... Very, Very small number. How many people in this country will have a birthday this year. About 1459 out of every 1460 people. (there are a few born on Feb 29 - leap year ) And a vast majority of them will not be interested in membership programs.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! No monthly fees.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:55 PM #6
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Agreed. Unless you already have successful leagues or something like that running, I don't see the point. Even for leagues you could charge a one time flat entry per team or something.

I had little success with memberships either.

Black/Purple Spire F/s. Freshly updated from Virtue.
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:33 PM #7
yankeesrule0330
Xplosion Paintball REPN

yankeesrule0330 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
yankeesrule0330 supports Team VICIOUS
my field does 250 for the year which gets you entry, 5 dollars off each case, and a stacking 10% off on the store as well as a couple other benefits.
yankeesrule0330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:43 PM #8
TwistedPBMom
Field Owner

TwistedPBMom is a Supporting Member
TwistedPBMom is an Ultimate field/store owner
TwistedPBMom supports our troops
I agree with Larry. Honestly, my opinion is that when a field starts offering memberships it is a signal that they are in trouble and looking to find some quick cash. The problem is that the quick cash helps in the short term but comes back to bite in the long run. (Have seen it numerous times over the years and a majority of those fields are now out of business.) We will never offer anything of this sort. No need to make things more complicated for such a small percentage of your customer base.

TwistedPBMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 PM #9
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
The theory with memberships is that it is cheaper for the players that play lots and will save them money. For the field, it means they have a customer committed to their field rather than another field. It's great in theory, but like most others, I have found that getting any kind of high upfront dollar amount out of a paintball player is tough, even if it saves them a pile of money in the long run.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:02 PM #10
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball is playing at Living Legends VII
The membership I use is just like that found at GameStop. For $30 a year a person can get between %15-%25 off products, and have found it does work, but as far as fields.. I have never bought one.. It is never a bad idea to offer one, but I wouldn't bank on selling many.

7pbA wants to buy your used gear!

Certified Planet Eclipse & Tippmann Tech Center
7paintball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:10 PM #11
fisher
Yes, I'm old.

fisher is a Supporting Member
we've always had season passes at our field. they are $90 a year and wave the $10 entry fee and get you $20 off a case of paint ($60 instead of $80). we have recently been offering a %5 discount in stores as well. we also give one away with the purchase of a marker at our stores. we've had good luck with them, and sell quite a few.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:36 PM #12
HeadHunter59
MidWest-Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
HeadHunter59 supports Cereal Killerz 2
HeadHunter59 donated to help Peyton Trent
HeadHunter59 is playing at Living Legends VII
HeadHunter59 supports Bob Gurnsey
HeadHunter59 supports our troops
HeadHunter59 is Immortal
Local field by me does this. I have bought it few times well worth it and pays for its self quickly

Memberships $125.00

~ membership covers your admission for one full year. Members also receive free air fills and free locker rental. The last Saturday of every month is Member Appreciation Day and members receive 15% off paint. Marker rental $5.
Russian Legion Fan Club Member #169
Russian Legion Love Club#19
ASMC
∅♦♦♦∅ OldSchool Trust! +23/0/0∅♦♦♦∅ IOG Feedback +4/0/0∅♦♦♦∅
∅♦♦♦∅Monster Ninja SLP tank sale!∅♦♦♦∅]∅♦♦♦∅
HeadHunter59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:33 PM #13
fAllout_oMen

fAllout_oMen donated to help Peyton Trent
fAllout_oMen helped look for balloons
fAllout_oMen is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldman View Post
Sorry will not divluge that information at this time due to another competitor in my area who insists they are the only one around and they try to dump on our posts where ever they are. Trust me, We have been here longer than them and will be here when they are long gone. Now for the others please offer your suggestions.
Under your name it says "GM, Extreme Sports Paintball"

Just a heads up, if you didn't want that competitor bashing on your field

My local field did a membership program for awhile, with a relatively good success rate. There were probably 50 players who held memberships and came somewhere around 1-3x/month. Membership was $200, gave free entry/air ($18 normally) and 10% off a case of paint (normal price $65).
fAllout_oMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 PM #14
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
I've been thinking something closer to the theme park model...

...if you're at the them park, you can buy a ticket to come back within X amount of time at some significant discount. For some theme parks, you can get a ticket for the next day for free. They figure you wouldn't come back otherwise and now they get to try and sell you concessions etc again.

For paintball, sell a discount pass good for 6 months or a year. That might appeal to your birthday player. And you can get them when they're still on their paintball high - "Did you have fun today? You can come back again anytime in the next 6 months for $10!"

If they use it, great, and if they don't use it, great.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote