Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyNews Ups
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 12:40 AM #1072
soccerguy243
Air Force Paintball #19
 
soccerguy243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wichita KS
soccerguy243 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerguy243 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerguy243 is an NCPA player
soccerguy243 plays in the APPA D5 division
chris has killed the crap out of this thread. Paint pricing is the last thing that will help the paintball community.

Fields need to better separate new players from experienced.

Refs need to enforce the rules better and encourage safety and fair play.

Players need to be better sportsmen to each other and have better judgment when playing with semi-experienced players.

I've seen more people not come back because players end up scream "get out! you're hit, GTFO" at others like its the end of the world and its nothing more than a weekend open play.

I've paintballed with younger kids - i've let them use my "fancy" marker for a round or two. I've given them tips after their team lost several times. I don't make fun of new young gun owners because they have this or that marker.

Why would i ever come back to play regardless of the cost just to get yelled at by some "speedballer" while a ref just stands there doing nothing?

Charge that much for paint and people will go see that move for $10 instead, they will go to disneyland instead.

But Chris knows best...
__________________
FOR SALE
Crossfire HP 4500psi reg, Ninja 4500psi Reg


"If you're not shooting, moving or talking, you shouldn't be on the field."-Tyler Michaud
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE Pilot
soccerguy243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2010, 01:01 AM #1073
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerguy243 View Post
chris has killed the crap out of this thread. Paint pricing is the last thing that will help the paintball community.

Fields need to better separate new players from experienced.

Refs need to enforce the rules better and encourage safety and fair play.

Players need to be better sportsmen to each other and have better judgment when playing with semi-experienced players.

I've seen more people not come back because players end up scream "get out! you're hit, GTFO" at others like its the end of the world and its nothing more than a weekend open play.
So all we have to do is convince field owners to hire smarter refs that will work harder and enforce rules better and convince tens of thousands of players across the continent to play nicer. That sounds like a workable plan. Should be easy. Good luck.

But why didn't we just stop it from getting this way to begin with? Wouldn't that have been easier?

I know why. Because the people that were responsible to keep things sane, were busy selling more and more paint, and that's about all they cared about.

Last edited by Horizon : 09-26-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:32 AM #1074
raehl
NCPA President
 
raehl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Chippewa Falls, WI
Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
So all we have to do is convince field owners to hire smarter refs that will work harder and enforce rules better and convince tens of thousands of players across the continent to play nicer. That sounds like a workable plan. Should be easy. Good luck.
I just realized I have it all wrong. I just need to give free "Be Nice" signs to all the fields and problem solved.

- Chris
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:34 AM #1075
generalee72
Knight who says Ni
 
generalee72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Port St. Lucie, Fl.
generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Yea but you need to charge them $3000 for the sign because the experience provided by the message is so important.
__________________
lPlAlIlNlTlBlAlLlLl
My Anti-Savings Account

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:49 AM #1076
yeahthatsme
hung
 
yeahthatsme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Southern Illinois
 has been a member for 10 years
yeahthatsme supports Team VICIOUS
It really is a fair point, though. The biggest issue I've seen in my area is separating experienced players and noobs. One of the biggest issues is having enough staff and fields to let people play within their experience and skill range.
__________________
618
Broseidon, King of the Brocean
yeahthatsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:05 AM #1077
generalee72
Knight who says Ni
 
generalee72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Port St. Lucie, Fl.
generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
There is no debate that he makes a fair point.

But it's like saying if you want to open a nice restaurant you can't have rats, it might be true, but that's what every field should be doing anyways regardless of what type of field they are running or what experience they are trying to provide.
__________________
lPlAlIlNlTlBlAlLlLl
My Anti-Savings Account

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:33 AM #1078
ndpenner
2k1'er
 
ndpenner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fairbanks, AK
 has been a member for 10 years
Hmm...I decided to open up this thread again to see what this actually turned out to be (last time I read, no one knew anything yet) and so far, after wading through the last 2 pages and random pages in the middle, all I've learned is that i will NEVER argue with dr. strangelove.
__________________
*Christ Krew**Death Before Dishonor*
ndpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:36 PM #1079
SpeedsCustom-PB
I Engineer
 
SpeedsCustom-PB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Clean Jersey
SpeedsCustom-PB supports our troops
I watched two videos on youtube, kinda behind the scenes and more in depth of what the ball is etc. Impressed.

Looking forward to seeking this ball and what it can do. Sounds very promising.


-Speed
__________________
  • Pm me about Anodizing 2013
www.SpeedsCustom-PB.com (Currently down, will be back up)

SpeedsCustom's Smart Parts Shocker SFT/NXT Frame

LongLive Paintball OLD BRIDGE NJ
SpeedsCustom-PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:52 PM #1080
xylem
 
 
xylem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
xylem owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
xylem plays in the APPA D4 division
xylem owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom-PB View Post
I watched two videos on youtube, kinda behind the scenes and more in depth of what the ball is etc. Impressed.

Looking forward to seeking this ball and what it can do. Sounds very promising.


-Speed
link?
__________________
WARPED INTENTIONS
xylem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 PM #1081
natexcarr
GO VEGETARIAN!
 
natexcarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Being that they're from Chicago, hopefully we in the midwest will be able to get our hands on this stuff sooner rather then later. Looks promising and I'm really looking forward to trying it out.
natexcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:10 PM #1082
freddy v.
 
 
freddy v.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central California
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
link?
Perhaps you could have gone to YouTube and checked?

__________________
►►Air Warriors Paintball Park◄◄
►►Black/Red G6R F/S◄◄
freddy v. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:49 PM #1083
theshooter07
Under_wood
 
theshooter07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ohio(419)
theshooter07 supports Team VICIOUS
so still uses titanium dioxide, so the bunkers will still be stained white like all other paints? other than that it sounds good though
__________________
Old feedback
theshooter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:55 PM #1084
SpeedsCustom-PB
I Engineer
 
SpeedsCustom-PB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Clean Jersey
SpeedsCustom-PB supports our troops
He says "very easy to wipe off bunkers". I have to imagine is dries relatively "easy" on the bunkers, yet easy to clean.

It sounds like a very promising product. Only time will tell, but it's good for the industry to move in this positive, progressive manner.

-Speed
__________________
  • Pm me about Anodizing 2013
www.SpeedsCustom-PB.com (Currently down, will be back up)

SpeedsCustom's Smart Parts Shocker SFT/NXT Frame

LongLive Paintball OLD BRIDGE NJ
SpeedsCustom-PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:07 AM #1085
ihateyourface
 
 
ihateyourface's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
ihateyourface plays in the PSP
ihateyourface posts videos on PbNation
ihateyourface plays in the APPA D3 division
anyone have a video of the paint being shot?
__________________
Dustin Steffen.
"to be a true champion you must hate losing more than you love winning"
14 years in and still killing.
ihateyourface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 AM #1086
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot
 
vijil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
That's a nice summary - this looks like an awesome step forward if it is everything they say. Hopefully it performs well too.

The one thing they don't talk about is how well it breaks on target, and how well it holds up in the gun. That's a worrying sign, but perhaps there's more info to come. If it really is as round as they say then it should at the very least be decently accurate.

Last edited by vijil : 09-27-2010 at 12:29 AM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:42 AM #1087
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by natexcarr View Post
Being that they're from Chicago, hopefully we in the midwest will be able to get our hands on this stuff sooner rather then later. Looks promising and I'm really looking forward to trying it out.
If I remember right, I heard they are going to California first later this year. California being the most dense market, it makes sense to start with distribution there while ramping up production and sorting out distribution in the less dense areas.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:16 AM #1088
MP40
 
 
MP40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Hey

"You can rent a movie to watch at home for $1. Yet people still pay $10 to see it in a theater. And many of them pay another $10 for soda/popcorn they could have at home for $1.

People pay $80/day+ to spend a day at Disney World, even though they can spend all day at the petting zoo for $5. Or go to the pet store for free.

People pay more for things that they feel are better. A lot more."


Your examples IMO don't really compare to paintball fields. While I can see how your trying to make a point with what you are saying as far as the movie and the Disneyworld/petting zoo, I personally can say that I go to the movies when a good movie comes out, not every week. I rent movies for at home all the time...

As far as paintball is concerned.. You can only make a field so nice, you can only make netting so nice.. The whole issue comes down to the organization of the field and the professionalism. Example:

Field A = New bunkers, good refs, safe, organized, $160 paint
Field B = New bunkers, good refs, safe, organized, $25 paint

So.... which field are you going to play at? You can spin it anyway you want. If a field owner chooses to operate a ****ty field and charge a cheap price, then yes the experience will be bad. The same could be said reverse. I have been to fields where they charge $120 a case and I had a horrible time because they just threw people together 10 on 10 with 1 ref on the field. So again, I personally think your argument has no merit in this case.
__________________
www.angelpaintballsports.com

Last edited by MP40 : 09-27-2010 at 01:32 AM.
MP40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:20 AM #1089
MP40
 
 
MP40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Also

On a quick OT side note..

You seem like one of those kinda people that think cost = value. Example.. I think you would choose to drink Starbucks coffee over something cheaper just for the fact that it is more expensive.. I may be wrong in that assumption but you seem to think price = everything. So to continue the example:

Tim Hortons $1.50
Starbucks $3.00

So do you get the "value" from going to starbucks? No. You get a bad taste in your mouth and $1.50 less in your pocket. Just like going to a expensive field with bad service. Sometimes cheap works just fine and I think this applies to paintball in general. However, again I am a firm believer that the industry is the way it is for more reasons than lack of players.

For instance, the market is now flooded with used equipment/gear because of the yearly releases. More people are buying used more than ever which means less new sales for companies, which means smaller companies close, which means the little paintball shops can't compete with cheap online sales or giant companies like ANS/AV, which again means everyone says the industry is slowing down. I'd look at blaming companies before the fields and cost of paint..
__________________
www.angelpaintballsports.com

Last edited by MP40 : 09-27-2010 at 01:30 AM.
MP40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:27 AM #1090
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot
 
vijil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Field A = New bunkers, good refs, safe, organized, $160 paint
Field B = New bunkers, good refs, safe, organized, $25 paint

So.... which field are you going to play at?
The one that stays in business.

Overall, price = quality and service. There are exceptions as you point out, but those are exceptions. In my area fields compete so much on price that they all suck in every other regard because their margins are too slim to run a decent operation. I'd happily spend more for a better field.

Even so, if this paintball means better price AND better everything else then it can't be a bad thing.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:33 AM #1091
T.I.L_Paintball
What's a SKU?
 
T.I.L_Paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, Illinois
T.I.L_Paintball plays in the PSP
T.I.L_Paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
T.I.L_Paintball plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
In my area fields compete so much on price that they all suck in every other regard because their margins are too slim to run a decent operation.
Exactly, there is no one price trend that is correct for the whole industry, Field owners need to recognize the exact issue that you stated and find a comfortable price range for the experience they offer.
In my opinion, the whole argument in this thread is completely pointless.
T.I.L_Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:33 AM #1092
preacha365
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
has any heard what the pricing will be on a case?
preacha365 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups


Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump