Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-24-2011, 03:23 PM #127
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Some people are bisexual and choose to go one way or the other, T3H MA$TA, rather than trying to have two relationships all the time.

Treghc you completely misunderstood my point. I have entertained the idea that it could be purely genetic. Science has entertained that idea too, and found it incorrect in many cases. My point is that many gay people seem to dogmatically stick to this idea that it's completely genetic when in fact it's not (there are other factors in most cases, for example there is very solid evidence that sexual abuse in early life increases the chances of turning out gay), just as many people dogmatically stick to the idea that it's entirely a choice when that's clearly not the case either.

In any case, whether somebody is gay or not is irrelevant to how much they know about what made them gay. They may be able to know whether it was a choice or not (and I believe them when they say it's not), but they cannot know whether it was entirely genetic or not better than anyone else can short of decent scientific study.

Last edited by vijil : 01-24-2011 at 03:33 PM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2011, 11:09 PM #128
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
MVPaintballer is a Mega Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
MVPaintballer posts videos on PbNation
MVPaintballer supports our troops
To those that believe homosexuality can be conquered with nurture... if given counseling, could you be convinced to turn gay?

Last edited by MVPaintballer : 01-24-2011 at 11:11 PM.
MVPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 PM #129
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Most of the evidence points to orientation being determined prior to adolescence, so probably not.

That said, there's plenty of evidence and examples of straight men in prisons engaging in homosexual acts apparently against their actual orientation. I'd say that orientation isn't so much a black and white "gay straight or bi" thing as it is a sliding scale, with almost nobody 100% at one end or the other.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:30 PM #130
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisgo09 View Post
Excellent idea! You should start by finding a nice island and gathering all the people who think segregation is a good idea and moving there. Maybe then you can invite the sociopaths that have a inclination towards eugenics (this refers to your post in the atheist argument thread).
Ok fine, throw everyone of all cultures and ideologies together in the mix and see how well society functions. Oh that's right it isn't working. The melting pot isn't actually combining all the ingredients into one final product is it? Oh **** we still have animosity towards religions, cultures, sexuality, race? What the hell is going on, you mean years of PC brainwash aren't working?

It's not even eugenics so much as promoting competition in society. Challenges promote excellence. Don't reward failure and laziness. It's not hard stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3H_MA$TA View Post
Uhhhhhh. What? Every single gay individual i know has clearly stated that they have always been gay and that it was never a choice. the only case that i know where that could even be legitimately suspect from an outside perspective is the case of the father of one of my friends from highschool. his parents got divorced in middle/high school and then it turned out the husband was gay. Fact is, and im sure it happens quite often, he (the dad) was so persecuted for being gay in highschool that he cut ties with everyone he knew, family included (none of them accepted him either), moved away and started college as a straight man. met my friends mom, got married, had 3 kids. divorced. then came out officially again.

from the combined experiences of my life. i can say people are born gay.
Yeah I never said that didn't happen, in fact I make a point to address THE FACT that people ARE born gay. I also addressed the fact that there are those who choose to be gay, maybe because they were curious or overly promiscuous. Who the hell knows who the hell cares. You ignored the main point of my post saying it doesn't matter whether or not people are born gay, they are going to be here regardless.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 01-25-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:48 PM #131
Umami
Mad as a hatter

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Ok fine, throw everyone of all cultures and ideologies together in the mix and see how well society functions. Oh that's right it isn't working. The melting pot isn't actually combining all the ingredients into one final product is it?
Um, actually, it is, albeit slowly.

Quote:
Oh **** we still have animosity towards religions, cultures, sexuality, race?
Certain groups seem to be holding on to this more than others... *cough cough*

Quote:
Yeah I never said that didn't happen, in fact I make a point to address THE FACT that people ARE born gay. I also addressed the fact that there are those who choose to be gay, maybe because they were curious or overly promiscuous. Who the hell knows who the hell cares. You ignored the main point of my post saying it doesn't matter whether or not people are born gay, they are going to be here regardless.
Yup. Might as well let them get married.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 PM #132
T3H_MA$TA
MEMFAMOUS

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
With that mindset, how can you be against gays having equal rights? and i would love to hear your evidence of "tolerance (of gays) leads to errosion of community values/unity."

or at a more basic level ... how their life has ANY negative effect on your life? that seems to be the one question that no one can answer if theyre opposed to gay marriage/rights.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 PM #133
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

If there is a negative effect it's to do with them raising children - there are a bunch of studies on the effects. Some are positive, some are negative, but the nature of gay rights these days is such that the results are largely ignored either way.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:03 PM #134
T3H_MA$TA
MEMFAMOUS

in my honest opinion that sounds like conjecture at best. and the fact is that some people, regardless of sexual orientation, are going to be good parents and some people are going to be bad parents. if youre really worried about children being raised in a negative environment, why not limit the number of children a couple can have according to their education level or income? i guarantee that would solve a lot more problems than trying to prevent gays from adopting children.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:10 PM #135
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
If there is a negative effect it's to do with them raising children - there are a bunch of studies on the effects. Some are positive, some are negative, but the nature of gay rights these days is such that the results are largely ignored either way.
do they give out free babies at weddings now?

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:12 PM #136
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
These arguments against equal rights/freedoms for gays are so adolescent, it hurts. I can't believe people can really be so naïve. Yet again, it's the ones with religious backgrounds. One more bullet point for me to add to my list of reasons to hate the mind-numbing products of religion. I'll just ignore this thread completely here on out.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 PM #137
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

It's funny, I met a gay guy a few years ago who believed it would be wrong for him to raise children. Odd perspective.

*If* there is decent evidence for gay families being substandard as a general rule outside of other factors (and I haven't seen any/much) then it would make perfect sense to bar gay couples from adopting assuming that your goal is to only allow adoption into ideal circumstances. If. Of course if you were to go down that road you'd need to bar single parents from adopting as well since that's also less than ideal. Heck, you could go a lot further. It seems to be acknowledged by government however that there probably isn't such thing as a perfect family, so as long as the individuals concerned are considered fit for the job then they're allowed to adopt. I can't really argue with that.

Teh Masta the studies are out there and they do show some interesting trends (cbf looking them up right now). Whether you or I would consider them justification for limitations on things like adoption I don't know, I'd personally need to see how much of an effect there is especially when compared to other types of families such as single parent.

I don't approach this from a "gays should have no rights unless they can prove otherwise" perspective. Treg, you might notice that at no point have I actually been actively arguing against gay rights. I don't however believe that just because our culture has accepted homosexuality we should immediately allow marriage, adoption etc. without at least seriously considering the implications. If there are no implications then that's all good, really.

Last edited by vijil : 01-25-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 PM #138
dozerdog
Make that trap aye

dozerdog helped look for balloons
dozerdog owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Gay people are alright.

TigerPB
http://www.tigerents.com/tigerpb/paintball.htm[
dozerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:02 PM #139
T3H_MA$TA
MEMFAMOUS

Quote:
I don't however believe that just because our culture has accepted homosexuality we should immediately allow marriage, adoption etc. without at least seriously considering the implications. If there are no implications then that's all good, really.
It already is pretty clear that there are no implications. Religious people, quite obviously, make up the vast majority of the people that oppose gay rights in this country and its obvious as **** that the only reason people do oppose it is because of their religion.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 PM #140
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

You seem to have lost interest in a rational discussion.

I'll bow out here.

Last edited by vijil : 01-25-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 PM #141
automagsrule
LOIC

i still cant seem to catch up to the part where you think an argument against gay parents can also be used against gay marriage.

why are you even bringing up the subject of gay parents?

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:58 AM #142
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
Yet again, it's the ones with religious backgrounds.
Which "religious" people are you speaking of? No one in here has said anything of being "against equal rights/freedoms for gays". Actually almost everyone here has said that they are against the gay marriage ban. The only person who has even made a point against removing the gay marriage ban has been vijil, and all he has been saying is that we should think about the consequences of making a huge change before we do it... Like really, I would love to visit the crazy little world that you live in where everyone is against you, but unfortunately I can't because I'm stuck in real life.

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."

Last edited by 270KIDZ : 01-26-2011 at 03:42 PM.
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:05 PM #143
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
That said, there's plenty of evidence and examples of straight men in prisons engaging in homosexual acts apparently against their actual orientation. I'd say that orientation isn't so much a black and white "gay straight or bi" thing as it is a sliding scale, with almost nobody 100% at one end or the other.
There are psychological studies which demonstrate that homosexual relations and prison rape are two very different things. One is about sexual attraction and love, the other is about dominance.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 PM #144
Umami
Mad as a hatter

Quote:
It's funny, I met a gay guy a few years ago who believed it would be wrong for him to raise children. Odd perspective.
I'm straight, and until just recently I believed it would be wrong for me to raise children. Is that an odd perspective? Or was it only odd because it came from a gay man?
Quote:
I don't however believe that just because our culture has accepted homosexuality we should immediately allow marriage, adoption etc. without at least seriously considering the implications.
What, pray tell, would be the negative implications to allowing gay marriage? That the divorce rate would go up? That's hard to imagine. That people who are in caring long-term relationships would be recognized by the law and society? Sounds terrible.

I know you're trying real hard, but your homophobia is showing.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 PM #145
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
I'm straight, and until just recently I believed it would be wrong for me to raise children. Is that an odd perspective? Or was it only odd because it came from a gay man?
He obviously meant that they gay man thought it was wrong to have kids because he was gay. Don't nitpick. And of course it would be odd for a gay man to think that it's wrong for him to raise kids...

Arguing semantics just makes you look petty.

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 PM #146
Umami
Mad as a hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
He obviously meant that they gay man thought it was wrong to have kids because he was gay. Don't nitpick.
I'm not arguing semantics. He picked a specific and single case in an attempt to make a reader generalize that gay people don't really want to raise children, so it's not a big deal that it's more difficult for them to adopt.

Did you really not see the motive behind his post? You said it yourself,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
of course it would be odd for a gay man to think that it's wrong for him to raise kids...
... so why bring it up?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 PM #147
Gisgo09
vGisgo

Quote:
Ok fine, throw everyone of all cultures and ideologies together in the mix and see how well society functions. Oh that's right it isn't working. The melting pot isn't actually combining all the ingredients into one final product is it? Oh **** we still have animosity towards religions, cultures, sexuality, race? What the hell is going on, you mean years of PC brainwash aren't working?
Look at race relations or the attitude this country has towards gays. Compare each successive generation and tell me that when you expose different groups to each other on a regular basis they don't learn to accept each other. It's a slow and painful process, but progress does happen. The problem often lies when people remain segregated from each other. This allows people to think of different groups as a faceless other that has no worth to them.

I don't want to sound like a dick or seem like I'm trying to make myself out to be superior to you, but do you mind if I ask how old you are and how much exposure you've had to people who are different from you (race, religion, creed or income level)? You seem to have a lot of very harsh and hardened opinions that don't leave much room for the gray area that so much of life falls into. I was once that way before I was exposed to different people/situations and began to contemplate my philosophy on life. I'm much more forgiving now and tend to take my time and evaluate each situation as it comes rather than immediately labeling it. Don't get me wrong, I still have a lot to learn and have a ton of flaws and I may have you pegged completely wrong. But that's what I'm getting from your words.

Quote:
It's not even eugenics so much as promoting competition in society. Challenges promote excellence. Don't reward failure and laziness. It's not hard stuff.
You talked about letting people who are a drag on society starve to death. You said not everyone deserves to live just because they're a human being. Combine that with your rhetoric on hard work and creating excellence, and I'd say I'm justified in saying your words have a slight lean towards eugenics. I'm not saying you'd condone eugenics, just that one could misconstrue your words as an endorsement of that direction. It doesn't take much to go from leaning that way to being all the way there.

http://www.lurkerpb.com/
Gisgo09 is offline   Reply With Quote