PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-13-2010, 02:07 PM #22
num3n

Annual Supporting Member
num3n supports Sherwood Forest
num3n posts videos on PbNation
I'm going to be setting up this field this Monday at our indoor. I'll post how it plays on Tuesday.
num3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2010, 03:40 PM #23
ninetales (Banned)

hopefully i will be setting this up saturday.
ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 PM #24
CULPIN

has been a member for 10 years
awesome...thanks guys! have fun
Old 08-13-2010, 07:10 PM #25
Lauxes

If it makes it to the east coast, Im in!
Lauxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:18 PM #26
CULPIN

im anxious to hear what the response is from play this weekend...post up when you can
Old 08-14-2010, 01:30 PM #27
Oh_Hai_89

god i wish jersey could come up with something like this
love me or hate me... I'm the loud-mouthed, constantly cursing, always rude Ginger...
Oh_Hai_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM #28
CULPIN

how'd we do?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:13 PM #29
Ahhhh!

Very interesting. The only way to lock down the field (well, lock down the tapes anyways) is to move forward. I like the concept.
Ahhhh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:07 PM #30
num3n

Annual Supporting Member
Ive got the field setup (different layout than you) and were going to be playing a race to 3 format on it tonight at around 6 central time. I'll post info and maybe even some pictures if if find time.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:39 PM #31
num3n

Annual Supporting Member
Ok so we setup the field And played a few race to 3 matches.
Good:
-Fast brutal matches that test the limits of the players. It's a rush playing on a field that small.
-Games turn over quickly and it would be easy to run a 20 team 3man event in 3 hours or so.
-Very little money, time and space needed to setup the layout.
-Very different feel from anything that I would call traditional paintball.

The bad
-Nearly impossible to ref well because the action happens so fast that everything ends of being a trade out.
-Ref can only really stand on the sidelines.
-The breakout as we know it can pretty much be forgotten since if you try to make any decent run you will get dropped by someone who is posted up.
-Action is too fast for about half the people who tried it and I think I will turn away older and more out of shape players who would normally be able to survive on a bigger field.

I setup a few Layouts and decided on one that almost eliminated break shooting and it seemed to play well. After a night of playing it we pretty much all agreed that this wouldn't work competitively unless the dimensions were about 30% bigger. I really liked the fact that it felt fresh but this concept is still a concept untill it can be refined enough for competitive play.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:12 AM #32
CULPIN

wow thanks for the review. Points noted and will be addressed. I wouldn't necessarily consider the way we think of breakouts being different as a negative...unless you could elaborate a bit more? You played raceto3? thoughts on a longer match? anywhere between raceto4 to raceto7? Did you only play pump or did you play with a variety of marker types? Also in regards to reffing. If you take a look at some footage from any of the psp, or wcppl events. the Majority of the time, the refs are on the sidelines. Im not saying that they dont go out on the field but most of the time they are on the sidelines. Field size...30% larger would put us right around 90feet, would you feel that would be large enough?

Last edited by CULPIN : 08-17-2010 at 11:13 AM.
CULPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:02 PM #33
num3n

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CULPIN View Post
wow thanks for the review. Points noted and will be addressed. I wouldn't necessarily consider the way we think of breakouts being different as a negative...unless you could elaborate a bit more? You played raceto3? thoughts on a longer match? anywhere between raceto4 to raceto7? Did you only play pump or did you play with a variety of marker types? Also in regards to reffing. If you take a look at some footage from any of the psp, or wcppl events. the Majority of the time, the refs are on the sidelines. Im not saying that they dont go out on the field but most of the time they are on the sidelines. Field size...30% larger would put us right around 90feet, would you feel that would be large enough?
What I meant when I was talking about breakouts is breakouts have a lot of effect on the way a game plays out. There is a lot of crucial stuff that happens in those first few seconds and its only of the only parts of the game where a team can decide exactly what they are going to do before they even get on the field. Its where most of the strategy in tournament paintball lies. When you shrink the dimensions of the field that much there aren't half as many viable bunkers to run to and big moves are way harder to pull off.
I guess what I'd like to see is not necessarily more bunkers but more running space. We for whatever reason seemed to think 90X90 or 100X100 would be perfect.

Raceto3 seems fine. Its quick and you can get a lot of full matches in.

I guess what I was getting as as far as reffing is concerned is that on the big field refs can kind of figure out the moves players are going to make before they even happen. You have more time to react to a run through and its easier to discern what actually happened after the fact. If a player plays on and shoots the entirety of the other team you can tell most of the time when he got shot and who his did or didn't legitimately eliminate.
When you shrink the field to the size of this one some of the most effective strategies are to send a guy up the middle 10 seconds or so into the game and have him take as many guys out as possible. On a big field this would be a huge move and might be 50 or 60 feet of running to shoot 3 guys. On a small diamond field this run through is often completed in 20 feet or less and to expect a ref to be able to run in a shut down a player before he runs 20 feet in ludicrous. I'm not saying that you cant ref it because there is no room for a ref to lie down (there inst), I'm saying the action is to fast for a ref team to be able to deal with. Take my word for it its way harder to ref.

I have to say though I really enjoyed playing it and I think that it has a lot of promise. I also think a lot of the issues can be solved with very carefully planned field layouts with both players and refs in mind.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:17 PM #34
Vulpix

field worked great for me.

some people complained about it being to fast paced, but they were indeed the out of shape players (which in my mind, don't deserve to play in competitive paintball), but it wasn't a big deal.

big moves were hard to pull off, but i think thats what makes this concept unique. because then a gamebreaking move won't happen as often, and in order to prolong a match or not lose men you need lots of support and communication.
Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:46 PM #35
HaVoK baLL3r
Playin' since the Y2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ngu!n View Post
I would put a team together for this in a heartbeat.

If you get one setup at Cali, wanna partner up so w can have one setup at the northeast?
Please. lol
HaVoK baLL3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:59 PM #36
CULPIN

num3n - ah, cool. Thanks for taking the time to elaborate. Do you think that because the penalties actually make you lose points rather than 1for1, 2for1 penalties,makes getting a penalty more of a deterrent from spinning in such scenarios? In terms of layout, the field dimensions actually alter the perception of "snakeside vs doritoside" which has been sort of a common theme in field design the past few years, what did you end up setting up?

Vulpix - the whole game is kind of a "big play" haha.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:05 PM #37
CMP Entertainment

CMP Entertainment is playing at Living Legends III
CMP Entertainment owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CMP Entertainment supports Bob Gurnsey
It may deter people from doing it. You just have to make sure that there is no possible benefit for playing on.
I setup something that had a snake but the other side wasn't a dorito side by any means. I started off with something much more traditional but ended up modifying it heavily to eliminate break shooting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CULPIN View Post
num3n - ah, cool. Thanks for taking the time to elaborate. Do you think that because the penalties actually make you lose points rather than 1for1, 2for1 penalties,makes getting a penalty more of a deterrent from spinning in such scenarios? In terms of layout, the field dimensions actually alter the perception of "snakeside vs doritoside" which has been sort of a common theme in field design the past few years, what did you end up setting up?

Vulpix - the whole game is kind of a "big play" haha.
CMP Entertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:33 PM #38
martial_law1972
LA Hitmen Oakland

Culpin, this is Lester the team captain for the LA Hitmen Oakland squad. Alex forwarded me the message about the series. My thoughts/ comments and suggestions for the series is listed below.

pardon me for the shorthand reply. Im typing this using my phone.

I love the idea
Let us know if u need help
This really promotes the pump paintball format in Nor-cal
3 man teams is awesome
One on one challenge
If limited paint, consider the OSC rules
Unlimited paint is good too but my suggestion is no autotrigger
Bring your own paint
Back to back games with 2 minute breaks in between. More games in and gets the players blood flowing
Jersies tucked in on or not should be players preference.
Be strict with the rules and actually enforce it.
Negative attitudes and profanity should never be tolerated.

These are things I can think of right now. I'll post anything that comes in to mind.
feedback

LA Hitmen Oakland
Nor-Cal Devastation
Silent Killerz
martial_law1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:47 PM #39
CULPIN

hey lester, great! you wanna PM me an email address that I can send to you what I have exactly figured out already?
Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 PM #40
Amber Lamps

there you go culpin. heres his email.

http://www.pbnation.com/sendmessage....ember&u=259919
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:43 PM #41
CULPIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
there you go culpin. heres his email.

http://www.pbnation.com/sendmessage....ember&u=259919
thanks but i was looking for an actual email address...not a pbn email address.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:52 PM #42
CULPIN

bit of a "teaser" update based on feedback:

Format:
3man rental - 5 player roster, 10 minute raceto3.
3man pump endurance - 4 player roster, 15 minute raceto7. no auto-trigger
1 man endurance - 3 player roster, 15 minute raceto7.

Event would donate a minimum of 20% of the entry fees to the charity of the winners choice. Entry fees would be considered a "minimum" entry as any additional donated money enters the pool for the winner [similar to how one would raise money to participate in events such as the relay for life, teams and players would ask for sponsorship from family and friends]

in terms of a schedule. The Ideal would be several "exhibition" practice matches pre-season followed by 3 events and an invitational. The invitational is an event only for the top 5 series point leaders at the end of the season.

Last edited by CULPIN : 08-24-2010 at 09:25 AM.
CULPIN is offline   Reply With Quote