PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-09-2010, 09:54 PM #1
CULPIN

has been a member for 10 years
format concept.

Awhile back I had began the "Play to Win Series", a charity tournament series which began in Connecticut and when I moved to California I had intentions of starting on the series out here. Anyways I had drafted up a format concept for the series, and I was wondering what you guys may think of it. I set some ground rules for the game...first it needed to be appealing to both veteran players, as well as new players. It needed to support a low amount of players on the field. Today it seems there are less and less teams out there. An idea I had was simple...Smaller roster = more teams? perhaps. So I factored that into the equation. Taking from various tournament series formats, and my own personal experience of running games in small fields [I worked as a head ref at a local indoor field for awhile] I came up with this...

3 man pump - 4 per roster (3 players + 1 staff), 10-15 minute game depending on the division, race to 2-4 depending on the division Penalties would have to be something a bit different. 1 for 1s and 2 for 1s, etc.. simply don't really work in 3 man or any team play with less than 5 players for that matter. Minus 1 point for minor, Minus 2 points for major. Depending on the division..paint caps would be in place. Rental / pump would have a 2000 rounds per team per match cap.

1 man - 3 per roster (2 players + 1 staff), 10-16 minute game depending on the division, top score at the end of regulation wins, again Minus 1 point for minor and Minor 2 points for Major. Unlimited paint.

*note - all games will be played back to back with a 2 minute break between points, waiting 15 minutes between points is silly and screws with the players minds*

Field layout was another factor which I had to consider...It needed to push the players forward and be exciting to watch as well as play. A big problem with 3/4 man games is that the fields are too big, especially for pump play. Playing a 7man field in 3/5 man pump is huge. Not just in length but in width. Anyways...here is a diagram of the layout I came up with. A diamond shaped field eliminates many problems with current game formats. One of which, is using the most amount of the field possible during the course of the game. How many of you actually take the corners in a 3man or 1v1 game? So lets put the corners on the 50. The only potential problem, is people sitting in back center. A solution to this is making a time limit per point, but I'm not entire sure. Being a raceto style game the chances of this are reduced due in part to the lack of points of bodies but the potential is still there.

Anyways I hope you like it...Feedback welcome.

Last edited by CULPIN : 08-09-2010 at 11:41 PM.
CULPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 PM #2
Phiyuck Yiu
Ansgear Airsmith

Phiyuck Yiu plays in the PSP
Phiyuck Yiu supports Empire
Interesting. I like it! except for the 2 min break thing. I'll need at least 10mins for a cig break haha.

LA Collision
FIELD OF FIRE
RAZA Paintball
Ansgear.com
Phiyuck Yiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:38 PM #3
CULPIN

haha, thanks.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 PM #4
wilted_bunker
Murk Fools

Cool

I love playing 3 man. The osc 3 man is kind of dying out, and it would be nice to have another 3 man pump tournament to fall back on. You will definitely get more teams in 3 man. I also love the race to format. Race to 3 seems to work itself out well in the wcppl pump division, and it's 4 man. I am liking the diamond set up as well. Good luck, and I hope you have much success. Haven't hear much about the norcal pump scene in a while. How is the scene up there now?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:58 PM #5
R3L
CCM is not a verb

Field is very interesting. If I take 30 dorito then I have "corner" so long as noone takes opposite 40 dorito. Movement is doubly important and without laning, encouraged.

R3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 AM #6
CULPIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilted_bunker View Post
I love playing 3 man. The osc 3 man is kind of dying out, and it would be nice to have another 3 man pump tournament to fall back on. You will definitely get more teams in 3 man. I also love the race to format. Race to 3 seems to work itself out well in the wcppl pump division, and it's 4 man. I am liking the diamond set up as well. Good luck, and I hope you have much success. Haven't hear much about the norcal pump scene in a while. How is the scene up there now?
its getting better slowly from what i could tell but Ive noticed a drop in paintball in general so... wcppl seems to be doing ok but still think the field is too big. Overall I think that everyone needs to re-think some things, especially in terms of tournament level paintball.

Last edited by CULPIN : 08-10-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:17 AM #7
Texas_pump

what if you did a open tourney...type of gun dont matter. Allow 100 rounds per 5 man team, each team can disperse the paint evenly. FPO, or governing bodies choice so that there is no paint issues. They fill the pods, and they are given out once chrono is finished, hoppers empty of course. And go. Anyone can play!!!! what ya think...?
Texas_pump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:26 AM #8
CULPIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_pump View Post
what if you did a open tourney...type of gun dont matter. Allow 100 rounds per 5 man team, each team can disperse the paint evenly. FPO, or governing bodies choice so that there is no paint issues. They fill the pods, and they are given out once chrono is finished, hoppers empty of course. And go. Anyone can play!!!! what ya think...?
Im confused. Type of gun doesnt matter, you mean open class / semi / stock, anything goes? 100 round paint cap for a 10-15 minute raceto match? doesnt sound like enough...Unless you are thinking about a time change as well. Or are you describing something completely different from the format I drafted?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:50 AM #9
evil snowman

this sounds like it would work. round up some friends and do a test run at you home field.

Last edited by evil snowman : 08-10-2010 at 10:33 AM.
evil snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:34 AM #10
shredxcam

i wish psp did race to 4 pump div
Old 08-10-2010, 10:35 AM #11
p3ngu!n
oh looky, a penguin.

I would put a team together for this in a heartbeat.

The diamond layout is new and fresh, and I see the definite attraction in this field. It's as if this field was built for snapshooting, which would be built for pump unlike these other events.

If you get one setup at Cali, wanna partner up so w can have one setup at the northeast?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 AM #12
evil snowman

where in cali are you btw? sorry posting from this lacking in useful featured pbn app.

Last edited by evil snowman : 08-10-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:53 PM #13
CMP Entertainment

CMP Entertainment is playing at Living Legends III
CMP Entertainment owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CMP Entertainment supports Bob Gurnsey
incredibly cool idea. I may have to give it a dry run at our next pump night.
CMP Entertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:05 PM #14
chickenbot5
Montgomeryoctavius5

chickenbot5 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
chickenbot5 is attending Decay of Nations VI
sounds cool. I play at a reball field with dimensions very close to these in a diamond shape. Its good for three man (but no more lol) and its still fast paced playing all pump. The games dont last very long but for pump race-to I think it would be cool
chickenbot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:02 PM #15
CULPIN

Thanks everybody...glad you like it. Hopefully the positive feedback is a push to get things moving on my end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ngu!n View Post
I would put a team together for this in a heartbeat.

The diamond layout is new and fresh, and I see the definite attraction in this field. It's as if this field was built for snapshooting, which would be built for pump unlike these other events.

If you get one setup at Cali, wanna partner up so w can have one setup at the northeast?
The original Play to Win event was based out of Connecticut, so yes, naturally Id want to have events there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil snowman View Post
where in cali are you btw? sorry posting from this lacking in useful featured pbn app.
Currently Located in San Francisco
Old 08-10-2010, 10:20 PM #16
evil snowman

yeah, i'm in the bay area too. let me know where your thinking about running this. i'll be there.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:34 AM #17
CULPIN

thoughts on this...

Event 1 - Warm up.
Event 2 - Qualifier
Event 3 - Qualifier
Event 4 - Invitational - top 2 teams from each of the 2 qualifiers. Invite only, Free to those teams that qualify.

Also the invitational increases the game time. So for example the game goes from a raceto4, 12 minute game to a 16 minute "top score at the end of regulation" game.

Last edited by CULPIN : 08-11-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:49 AM #18
Vulpix

i'm not that good at all the rules and stuff, but sounds interesting.

but i seriously get confused by all the rules.
Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:59 AM #19
CULPIN

yea rules can be a lot to take in, but once you see the game its pretty simple. if you have any specific questions feel free.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:19 PM #20
Vulpix

how many games between matches???

how does the system work. (i.e., is it like the bracket to where winner plays another winner???)

how many refs?
Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:55 PM #21
CULPIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpix View Post
how many games between matches???

how does the system work. (i.e., is it like the bracket to where winner plays another winner???)

how many refs?
Im not entirely sure of your question? I THINK what you mean is how many games in a race match? So for example you are playing a race to 2 match. Its the first to 2 flag hangs, so essentially you could play 2 or 3 games, third being the tie breaker.

Refs, usually there is a head ref on the field then a 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 ratio to the number of players. So in a 3 on 3 game you may have anywhere between 5 to 7 refs on the field.

edit - brackets vary from series to series, however usually teams are broken up at random into pools of 5-7 teams and then the teams would play a round robin within that pool to determine who would advance. You would play (usually) 4 preliminary matches. Following prelims, a single or double elimination bracket is played with top seeds from each pool.

Last edited by CULPIN : 08-11-2010 at 07:38 PM.