Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-07-2010, 04:42 PM #1
spisla

is blind firing illegal?

hey guys, is blind firing(speccifacly speedball) illegal? i was just wondering because i tried it once and the ref said to stop. i was confused as to why i couldnt do it. if it is illegal, why is it?
spisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2010, 10:39 AM #2
bnctaj

has been a member for 10 years
It's dangerous and unsporting.
Dans le port d'Amsterdam il y a des marins qui meurent pleins de bière et de drames aux premières lueurs. Mais dans le port d'Amsterdam il y a des marins qui naissent dans la chaleur épaisse des langueurs océanes
bnctaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:40 PM #3
lamorte
mod a la mode

Annual Supporting Member
lamorte is a Supporting Member
lamorte donated to help Peyton Trent
lamorte supports our troops
blind firing has been a no no since i can remember and i've been playing since the 80's. if you can't see where you're shooting, how do you know who you're shooting? far as you know, while in a blind rage, shoot an innocent ref(or your own team member?) at point blank range that you did not see as he was walking by doing his job. you could be shooting over the netting as well. who's to say if you're not looking where you're shooting?

✩☾ habitually nocturnal ☾✩
lamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:18 PM #4
spisla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamorte View Post
blind firing has been a no no since i can remember and i've been playing since the 80's. if you can't see where you're shooting, how do you know who you're shooting? far as you know, while in a blind rage, shoot an innocent ref(or your own team member?) at point blank range that you did not see as he was walking by doing his job. you could be shooting over the netting as well. who's to say if you're not looking where you're shooting?
well, i had a really good idea of where i was shooting actually. i was hearing paint hit the bunker i was shooting at. i was at the end of the snake and last guy was at back right,(indoor field, so its small) and no bunkers inbetween. the only time i would blind fire is if its to get them into cover. and all my teammates were behind me to the left of the field. it was recball, so the ref didnt do there jobs and they just stay at the side. but i could see where this can fit in compared to an outdoor field, where refs check people and people just firing wherever they want. i guess in a way it wasnt actually blind firing, i just wasnt popping out of my bunker. but i can see why its illegal, thanks.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:21 PM #5
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
Little_PB_Newb plays in the APPA beginner division
just look where you're shooting, if your form is proper you won't be too exposed anyway
Little_PB_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:25 PM #6
98autococker
Converted pumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_PB_Newb View Post
just look where you're shooting, if your form is proper you won't be too exposed anyway
this, dont wanna go around accidently popin refs, or overshooting by accident couse your not lookin.
"Originally posted by Castro #66: My stickiness is perpetual and everlasting."
98autococker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:25 PM #7
Connor_McCloud

It is mainly a safety issue. In your case, what if the guy charged and was all of a sudden 6 inches from your barrel when you lite it up. OUCH!!

Also, there is no way for you to identify what you hit and also it gives your target a very hard target to shoot at and that is why it is unsportsman behavior.

Hope this helps.

Les
Connor_McCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 PM #8
calvman
Clickety screeeee

Annual Supporting Member
calvman is a Mega Moderator
calvman is a Supporting Member
calvman is playing at Living Legends VII
unsportsmanlike I can agree with. Dangerous? I find that doubtful.

"Always buy the biggest bottle."

ASM|macroline guy|BPP|DAB Photo|Inception|Powered by EXALT
calvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:41 PM #9
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvman View Post
If a teammate is walking off and he's 5 feet away and the guy shoots him dead on in the nuts I'd call that dangerous, or the back of the head..
Old 08-11-2010, 05:16 PM #10
calvman
Clickety screeeee

Annual Supporting Member
calvman is a Mega Moderator
calvman is a Supporting Member
calvman is playing at Living Legends VII
I'd be amazed if someone were to perform such an act of marksmanship.

"Always buy the biggest bottle."

ASM|macroline guy|BPP|DAB Photo|Inception|Powered by EXALT
calvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:17 PM #11
MN_Rising
Stroppy Woman

MN_Rising owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MN_Rising supports Team VICIOUS
MN_Rising plays in the APPA D5 division
MN_Rising has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
It's in your best interest to not refer to things as 'legal' or 'illegal'. You're better off asking if it's acceptable, in this instance it is NOT acceptable playing behavior.

You must be able to see where you are firing. Just because you think it's shooting where you want because you 'hear' it, doesn't mean you actually are.

It can be dangerous. You may end up overshooting a player as they are walking with their back turned towards you, you may shoot a ref, or even a teammate who is leaving the field. Either way you need to consider the other risks. In a tournament situation your paint may end up over the nets and endangering other non-players. These are all things I've personally witnessed as a ref when a player was blind firing.

Your ref did the right thing by telling you not to blind fire.
MN_Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:31 PM #12
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Quote:
I'd be amazed if someone were to perform such an act of marksmanship.
I wish I had a camera crew following me around at the practice after my last event where a new rental kid really wanted to play with the rest of us to get better so we let him towards the end, and I got shot while I was playing the center mid tower, and as I picked up my pods and left my bunker the kid poked his barrel out while holding the t98 with one hand and shot..my teammate gave me a verbal play by play of me crouched over running to the deadbox and collapsing, breaking 2 of the pods in my hand..lol

doesn't matter if it's a likely hazard, it's still dangerous.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:04 PM #13
paintballisfun
one letter short

because the only thing your going to hit is the ref...trust me on that one. so naturally, were not happy when people blind shoot
Old 08-16-2010, 03:07 PM #14
spisla

ok i get the point. i havent done it since then, i was always just curious. thanks.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:30 AM #15
xFluffi

If you practice REAL gun safety you know that you must have a target before you shoot and to know what lies beyond the target before you fire. As far as paintball is concerned having been a ref and having been shot by teammates, it has even less to do with that. When you classify blindfire with paintball you are simply talking about a bad practice. If the target has sight of you and your.... "gun has sight" of them they can shoot you none-the-less. It's a good practice to know what you are shooting at and what can shoot you, please don't blind fire.
xFluffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:27 PM #16
Big Jims Son
Death from the Black Hill

Most Definetly Unacceptable. I do think it should be a penalty if it happens. just dumb playing, your out there to shoot someone, you have to know where your shooting to hit who you need to.
Big Jims Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 PM #17
pookie12
PG is what made ME

pookie12 plays in the PSP
pookie12 plays in the APPA D3 division
pookie12 supports DLX Technology
Everyone says it is unacceptable, but since we are talking about blind firing in speedball, players do it all the time in both the PSP and the NPPL. One example would be Thomas Taylor. As he plays the snake, his signature move is to shoot around the bunker he is playing by pointing his gun around the bunker while staying on the other side. He obviously know an opponent is there, but he doesn't look at what he is shooting. Never have I seen a ref call him out or call a penalty.
Xavier McCurry fan #2
Killing Fields Pb Media

2008 C.T.S. Series runner-up - 2009 S.E.P.S. Series Champion - 2010 MSXL Series Champion - 2011 MSXL Series Champion - 2012 MSXL Series Champion
pookie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:05 PM #18
MN_Rising
Stroppy Woman

MN_Rising owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MN_Rising supports Team VICIOUS
MN_Rising plays in the APPA D5 division
MN_Rising has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Unacceptable does not always mean 'against the rules'. I can't recall having seen any rules about blind firing in NPPL or PSP, but every field I have ever played at has adopted the 'no blind firing' as a universal and common sense rules.

The Pro Division is a whole ball game in itself, I've seen Refs ignore or wipe off obvious penalties on players, I've seen intentional wiping and it go completely ignored.

As Refs, we don't get to make the rules, we can only enforce the ones given to us and enforce them on our fields. Individuals should be held accountable for their actions, and the Ref community as a whole is not to a point where it seems willing to tell others that they need to be accountable for what the players are getting away with under their supervision.

It's tragic some of the 'tactics' that certain professional players look to in order to try and win, even more tragic when they do this in front of hundreds to thousands of viewers, especially when some lower level player or kid looks up to them and idolizes them.
MN_Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:14 PM #19
david42

david42 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
david42 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
david42 supports Team VICIOUS
david42 plays in the APPA D4 division
Not if you got a corner gun setup with a little screen on it. But in general yes it is illegal.

eniviousjohn: "So please, please, for the love of all things scantily clad and 40% alcohol by volume, just shoot the guns for yourselves. If you're having trouble choosing between which super expensive mega-awesome new paintball marker to choose from, are you really even having a problem to begin with?
david42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:22 PM #20
PaintBawlNewb

PaintBawlNewb plays in the APPA beginner division
PaintBawlNewb has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I wouldn't do it... last time some rental on my team shot me in the back of my neck... Isn't fun for the other players...
PaintBawlNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:33 PM #21
Mah Timmy

Mah Timmy supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
i would have to disagree with you. I have seen beginners blind firing and misjudging the angle of the barrel. They thought that they were shooting at opponents when in actuality they were marking cars in the parking lot. Under certain circumstances i would have to say that it is dangerous.
Mah Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote