Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 PM #1
ndpenner
2k1'er

has been a member for 10 years
Random Fairbanks PB ?s

Well, I just got up here about a month ago and it seems as though the paintball scene is all but dead. It wasn't much better back in smalltown Arizona, but at least we had somewhere to play. I've heard rumors of a place to play out between Fairbanks and Northpole, but haven't gotten to looking around quite yet. My wife has made me swear not to get back into it until we've been here at least a year, so until then, I'm gathering info to see what possibilities we have here. I'll probably get all the information together and see if we can't get a thread stickied later on. All the info I'm trying to gather right now is to get things going in the cheapest way possible for a rebirth of the sport in the area.

For starters, what stores/shops are currently/can be used for paintball? I know Sportman's Wharehouse does CO2 fills, but is there anywhere else that does
CO2 and is there anywhere that does or can do air fills like a dive shop or fire department? Does anyone carry paintball mags?

What's our player base like? I'm assuming more woodsballers than anything, but I could be wrong. What's our experience level like here? A bunch of noobs and 2 or 3 guys that played tourney ball until it died (that's what I'm used to), or what are we looking at? How many people (rough estimate) would be able to play at least once a month during our warm weather?

Does anyone carry any decent paint? I went into one place that had some form of WORR paint and an Archon brand that I know for a fact was discontinued in 2006.

I can't be out there for awhile, but the gears are already spinning. Depending on what our total scenario is here, I'd like to get some sort of club or something organized for the fair weather months, and depending on the turnout there, I've already got most of a 3-man league worked out in my head as long as we had an adaptable player base.

I dunno...I'm going nuts from not being able to play.
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2010, 02:45 PM #2
ndpenner
2k1'er

Well...I've gotten 21 views thus far and no responses. At least I've got you looking.

Give me a place to play and a few more months and we can get SOMETHING going...

I still haven't heard back from my old teacher, so I guess we'll be winging it as far as getting the city to let us use some land. Once we get that out of the way,(or even finding a decent renegade field we can all find and play at together) here's the basics as to what I'd propose for a league: (I figure at least this way, even if it never fully pans out, it gives us something to talk about and at worst we get a few people connected)

For starters, the purpose of the league would be to bring newer players in and get them exposed to organized play so we build up our grassroots. Without more people playing and getting interested in continuing to spend their hard earned cash to play, we die. That being said, 3-man, Mechanical markers only (trust me on this one. the goal is to get new people in), and battery operated hoppers would be allowed but no pods/packs/harnesses. Center flag format with 5 minute games. For the current model to work out, we'd need 10 teams. We'd have 5 events, 2 teams ref each event (unless we get a dedicated reffing crew, which I will not be apart of). 8 teams play each event, round robin style with points for the pre-lims, and the best 4 move on to a semi/finals bracket. (Still trying to work out how the reffing will work because 2 teams currently get screwed out of playing one of the events.) I'm also thinking that we have some sort of franchise fee (we'll say $100 for now) to go towards prizes for the finale. Each event would cost $75 per team and we'll put 100% of everything paid back into prizes and tourney expenses. Each team will have a representative and if there are any discrepencies, we'll have a majority to solve it. I figure I'll throw together a rule book, we'll give it a test run for the first event and then have the representatives vote on what to tweak to get it to be as good as we can. the main prizes will be given to 1st and 2nd for each event, along with a sportsmanship award for the most sportsmanlike team, with possibly some other stuff being given out so not only the winners take something home.

Running late. I'll type more later. Lemme know what you think so far, even if it's "this is stupid and will never work here because the forces that be hate paintball and Alaska".
Old 08-09-2010, 12:16 PM #3
ndpenner
2k1'er

I'm thinking of calling it the CAPS: Central Alaskan Paintball Series.

And now, back to my ramble from yesterday.

Some of the things that killed paintball where I'm from was the cost, lack of unity (when you've got 3-5 groups with 6-20 players each who refuse to work together, it's not good for anybody) and just plain sh*%#y attitudes and sportsmanship. To keep things cheap, the mech markers and hopper limits of paint along with lower entry fees than I've seen in the last 6 years. A team can get a few spyders/tippmanns/cockers for sub $100 apiece if they shop around, and if they play smart, they can go through much less than a case apiece per event. The unity thing will hopefully get jumpstarted with the team representatives and the overall atmosphere that we're trying to push here. Sportsmanship is a bigger deal than people think, especially with newer players and especially if they are younger kids or have parents involved, which we want. We'll push the sportmsanship award as being just as prestigious as taking 1st place for the series. It'll be a be a big deal. That and blatant wiping/playing on or trying to hurt people won't be tolerated. People who like to do that crap will just be kicked out of the series altogether. Some may argue that it "has it's place in paintball", but it kills it. I've seen it firsthand. That's probably chased off a few of my 34 viewers so far, but hopefully inspired the rest. Anyway, I won't put anything else on pbn until I get a response or two...
Old 08-12-2010, 04:18 PM #4
dirty907
Say my name!

dirty907 is a Supporting Member
talk to Corey at Arctic fire & safety. I believe they sell paint and such.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:37 PM #5
ndpenner
2k1'er

Cool. I'll look into them when I get a chance. Maybe they'll have air.

Sooo...seriously, how do people feel about about mech's?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 AM #6
Kurupt310
Narro Verum

Kurupt310 is a Supporting Member
Kurupt310 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Mechs, those are those big robots that fight each other right?

I play paintball and live in da banks. But I usually go to Anchorage to play. There hasn't been a legit field in Fairbanks since 2007. Good times.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:57 PM #7
ndpenner
2k1'er

Yep. I mean, blasting noobs in your Madcat is awesome fun.

Nah, I mean...well, trying to appeal to new people, you know? Cheaper prices, less welts, blah blah blah. Make it more about skill instead of spray and pray. Kinda like what pump is supposed to be, but not near as boring. After 2 years of trying with a Phantom and an STP, I decided pump was just not my gig. Semi is where it's at. Paint prices with electros are just too expensive in some people's minds to justify playing, so hopefully more new blood. That's my train of thought at least.

THat looks like an awesome field, by the way.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:21 PM #8
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

Bah, that field looks like it rewards aggression.......Man it drives me crazy how I can't get out of Fairbanks without a pass. A frontman could seriously find a place there instead of all these camping players at some woodsball outlaw field that just hide all freaking day, sometimes an hour goes by and they call it.

Oh well I'm moving to Florida, where paintball is a state sport. (I remember having three fields I could go to in my area as well as Wayne Dollack's Scenario game) So many tournaments over there as well.

I heard there was an outlaw field on farmers loop road. Gave the mover that told me about this left over marbalizers. If you looked at my earlier threads I posted the location and times of the outlaw field at repp.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:11 AM #9
ndpenner
2k1'er

I guess camping noobs is better than nothing...
Old 09-14-2010, 12:46 PM #10
ndpenner
2k1'er

Does anyone know anything about the proposed "recreation area" out at the end of S. Cushman? I went shooting at the rifle range down there yesterday with a buddy and he said that they were supposedly making that entire area into a recreational park or something. That might be our free field if we go about it correctly
Old 10-05-2010, 12:42 PM #11
spec21

Rough times indeed. I'm in valley now but couldn't raise a game while I lived up there. Mech marker tourneys would be bout the same as open class with a 200 rd limit. Fields can't live on that but a tight nit little league might. As far as skill disparity, that is a real problem. New players get rolled no matter what. There are a few solid ex tourney players up there and we see them come down once in awhile.

The paint limit is a bigger deal than rof. I watched ccm w/ sniper2s roll naughty dogs in a 5 man 200rd panam game. It happens. Turn a field ref loose with a rental in a rec game and they will cut up the field. A bunch of us got pumps for that reason. There just isn't anyone else to play on a regular basis and a pump gun is the only way to be allowed in a rec game. Wish the player base was like the wide open game in the 90s. New kids with bank rolls, made the sport swell.
spec21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:50 PM #12
Jr-Man
Jr-Man

man that suxs theres no big paintball scene out there
Jr-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:08 PM #13
Kurupt310
Narro Verum

The recreation area is really on South Lathrop, and it was basically a motocross track. Not a whole lot else.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:24 PM #14
ndpenner
2k1'er

Well, at least that shows that they'll let people do SOMETHING with city land. And if a lot of you guys already have pumps, I have some newbie friends (4-8) that want to start playing...whenever "summer" starts here. I'm probably picking up a mech spyder or something to dink around with.

I believe the panam story, but at the same time, most experienced players are gonna have more money invested in the sport, usually a higher end electronic gun, and when you throw a bunch of newer players with their tippmanns in vs. guys who know what they're doing with Egos, it's a bloodbath and some people never come back to play again. Whereas if the playing field at least seems "level". you may get more repeat players. Just my experience.

Last edited by ndpenner : 11-20-2010 at 09:39 PM.
ndpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:38 PM #15
Kurupt310
Narro Verum

I want to play with a mech again. I actually put the pneumatics back on my cocker and bought a mag.

I want paintball to be the way it used to be. Cheap, no pressure, no work setting up and just good old fun shooting people. Going back to the roots next year, I am taking it back.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 AM #16
dirty907
Say my name!

thats mostly where I have been for awhile now.. Mostly pump these days. I havent used my victory in probably 2 months except for a brief game a couple weeks ago. look up Kodiak Paintball on youtube...
Old 12-01-2010, 10:26 PM #17
ndpenner
2k1'er

Oddly enough, this is all making me miss my Excal. :p

That's what I'm hoping for, Kurupt. If we don't have a grassroots, somewhat organized player base, we really don't have anything solid. If we can usher in a group of new players and keep them hooked somehow, we win. If we can get 10-12 people who can play at least once a month to enjoy themselves, maybe paintball can be "reborn" in Fairbanks.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 PM #18
dirty907
Say my name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndpenner View Post
If we can usher in a group of new players and keep them hooked somehow, we win. If we can get 10-12 people who can play at least once a month to enjoy themselves, maybe paintball can be "reborn" in Fairbanks.
We are just going through this down here in Kodiak. People that use Electro's solely are somewhat frowned on by some of the guys. I have been playing pump here for the last couple of years pretty solid, only going semi when everyone present at the field that day makes a group decision to burn some paint... I went to Vegas this year for the pump event, ended up bringing 3 pumps back with me, using them for loaners until people start to buy their own.

for maybe 2 years, there was a group of maybe 6 people that would play. now that we have started to play a lot more pump/mech games, our player base is up to a pretty consistent 8-10 people a weekend, about once a month or so we'll have 20 USCG personnel come out for MWR. Things are starting to look up to the point where we may be able to field a whole 3 man team for the anchorage summer series
Old 12-02-2010, 09:59 PM #19
ndpenner
2k1'er

LOL.

Personally, I really wonder what's keeping people away. I mean, is it the money, the welts, was paintball just a fad a few of us have refused to let die...what is it? I mean, people spend rediculous amounts of money on other hobbies all the time, and the welts are WELL worth the adrenaline rush of a good day of play. I'm stumped...

Regardless, 5 more months and I'm shooting somebody somewhere with paint.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 PM #20
dirty907
Say my name!

I think it's a combination of money and small doses of pain... add in the average american's lack of motivation that might (heaven forbid) seem somewhat similar to exercise...

I am an adrenaline junkie. The rush of a well played game winning or losing gets me pumped.

I refuse to wait for summer. Honestly it almost seems like our turnout here improves when it gets more into wintertime.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:16 PM #21
e_friccero
\_(ツ)_/

e_friccero is a Paintball photographer
e_friccero is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
e_friccero is Legendary
e_friccero is Boss
e_friccero is attending Decay of Nations VII
its more fun in the winter
You can slide on ice
You can't on mud/moss
e_friccero is offline   Reply With Quote