Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-01-2010, 11:16 AM #22
CrazyChunk

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwinder9x View Post
Also, that wall of text is solid.
I would hope you assume this, considering you just spewed it out. "Strong wall" as in small barrier made of dirt and horse ****, now watch as I kick it over.

Quote:
First things first, I gotta apologize to this forum. Seriously guys, I was a total douche when I first posted in here, and I know it. I totally made myself look like a joke, acted like I knew what I was talking about when I really didn't. I honestly think I deserve the ridicule that you guys threw at me, and it taught me to humble myself down and stop acting like I know everything. Now I just take notes, because there is always someone out there who knows more than I do. I spoke to Voxide a bit ago, and we cleared some **** up, but apparently he's banned now which sucks because I just got cool with that guy. Anyway, I'm going to give this another try. This forum is a really solid tool for working out, and I really regret having lost it as a tool so I want to come in for a second go and see if I can take the tools this forum offers and help myself.
Your apologizing to random strangers on a forum? LOL why? Do you really feel as though you have a reputation to uphold, and that this apologies means anything to anyone besides you? LOL grow up, no one gives a ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGuE9 View Post
running a mile and a half does not burn 250 calories.
Completely dependent on who is doing the running. a 6'5 350lb man might burn 250 calories running a mile and a half, but a 5'5 140lb guy will not.

Cardio is cardio, what you are doing is irrelevant, its all about the heart rate. So if you ride a bike for 10 min's and average a 160bpm heart rate, and you also average a 160bpm heart rate on the treadmill, then you are essentially receiving the amount of exercise. Your heart rate determines how hard you are pushing and how much energy is being expended, and that is what determines how many calories are burnt, also determines how successful your cardio session was. So 10 minutes at 160BPM is 10 minutes of cardio, regardless of what exercise you are doing. Cardio is to much of a personal exercise for us, strangers, to determine what is best for you.

Now not all exercises are the same, even if heart rate is the same, you are still working different muscles doing different exercises. On a bike its exclusively your legs pumping, while running, there is a lot more muscle involvement, its really a full body exercise. Running require more supporting musculature to perform, so in essence you are doing more full body training, but not necessarily receiving better cardio. So really in the end, it comes down to what ever gets your heart rate up, and personally what you want to train for. Are you trying to improve your running and supporting musculature, or are you just trying to burn calories and lose fat?

Say to hell with it all, and just do some burpees.

Last edited by CrazyChunk : 08-01-2010 at 11:20 AM.
CrazyChunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2010, 12:35 PM #23
Not_Werty7373

Not_Werty7373 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
If you run, eventually your knees will go out on you. If you run properly, you can delay injuries for a minute but the impact on your knees from running pretty much makes long term injury inevitable unless you've got ridiculous genetics.
wrong
† CHRIST KREW #666 †
~»†††«~
Not_Werty7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:17 PM #24
sdwinder9x
neon nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Werty7373 View Post
wrong
Chondromalacia, aka runners knee, is a wearing of the cartilage beneath the knee cap which leads to arthritis. Arthritis is helped along by the impact your knee deals with as you run, especially if you're running on hard surfaces like concrete or asphalt. Running on grass or loose dirt helps with the impact some, but at the end of the day you're still consistently dropping ~150+ lbs on your knees with every step, and your knees can only take so much before they wear out. On top of that, running with improper technique will EASILY help aid it along, and I can tell you from experience that a vast majority of people don't even know how to run right. They cross their arms across their bodies as they stride, clench their hands and tighten muscles that should normally be left slack, lift their legs as they run... Improper and inefficient. No one here is superman, and nobodies knees are designed to last forever. Go run everyday for a year and a half improperly and I promise you'll start feeling your knees hurt more and more every month.

As for doing cardio, raising your heart rate above 160 on a bike is much more difficult than if you were to go running, because the motions involved are something like 90% efficient on a bike compared to the 10% muscle efficiency you get while running. Jogging at a pace of 4-5 mph will increase your heart rate much more rapidly to 160, where as riding my bike at 25 mph alongside traffic doesn't. I ride a bike 20 miles everyday, and I average 25 mph to get to where I need to be. I also used to run regularly before my knees went out, so I am somewhat familiar with which would be more productive activity in terms of cardio. If you just want to stay fit, hop on a bike and beast an average of 30 mph for 30 minutes a day, and your lungs will thank you. But if you want results, running is the best bet in terms of time and cost effectiveness. I'll put it this way:

Edit: Let's say you burn 110 calories a mile, and you run five miles, that's 550 calories. If you can average 10 minutes a mile, that's 50 minutes of running for 550 calories. To get that same effect on a bike, you'd have to ride say 20 miles at 38 calories burn a mile, which would average to like 600 calories burned. Biking at a speed of 10 mph, it would take you 2 hours to burn the same amount of calories. Biking is a far more efficient workout. That's all I'm saying.

Real world actions speak for themselves. Go tell someone to lose 10 lbs by running, and go tell someone to do the same thing riding a bike. I promise you, unless that guy on the bike is ****ing beasting it pushing 3 minutes a mile, you won't see his results as quickly as you would on the runner. Yes, it is about heart rate, but heart rate is also dependent on how efficient an activity is. The more efficient, the harder you have to try to make yourself break a sweat.

Edit: Let me get a link.

Mister walkway. Mister walk down me, I'm the walk way. Lead me to the building, **** you.

Last edited by sdwinder9x : 08-01-2010 at 07:24 PM.
sdwinder9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:53 PM #25
peltco123 (Banned)

peltco123 is a Professional paintball player
peltco123 plays in the PSP
peltco123 plays in the APPA D2 division
I'd give that wall of text a /4.5

but then again I did not read.

Mind postin some cliffs? I only read worthwhile things...
peltco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:09 PM #26
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_PB_Newb View Post
There are no hills here, not ****ting you.

Considered the flattest place in north america, you can literally see that far in the distance anywhere in the entire province.
Do you live in the American midwest? Have you ever heard of ****ing Iowa? Or Nebraska?

And what the **** does "that far" mean?
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:18 PM #27
peltco123 (Banned)

peltco123 is a Professional paintball player
peltco123 plays in the PSP
peltco123 plays in the APPA D2 division
dude it is that far: ____!

or maybe he is referring to the epic distance of sdwinder's pointless walls of text...because that is pretty ****ing far!
peltco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 PM #28
Twenty4/7_Ep3
GangSTA

lol at that pic of 10's he bangs every weekend.

i didnt read his post but to the OP if u wanna know how to go from fat and no muscle to skinny and no muscle read sidewinders posts.
1992 Civic Street
Twenty4/7_Ep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 PM #29
sdwinder9x
neon nights

Keep talking your **** guys, I've got my end covered. You worry about yours.

Mister walkway. Mister walk down me, I'm the walk way. Lead me to the building, **** you.
sdwinder9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:44 PM #30
LGB (Banned)

Quote:
i'll cover your end, sexyboy.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:06 AM #31
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Quote:
You can talk my **** anyday baby...

waitwut
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:32 AM #32
Not_Werty7373

Not_Werty7373 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Chondromalacia, aka runners knee, is a wearing of the cartilage beneath the knee cap which leads to arthritis. Arthritis is helped along by the impact your knee deals with as you run, especially if you're running on hard surfaces like concrete or asphalt. Running on grass or loose dirt helps with the impact some, but at the end of the day you're still consistently dropping ~150+ lbs on your knees with every step, and your knees can only take so much before they wear out. On top of that, running with improper technique will EASILY help aid it along, and I can tell you from experience that a vast majority of people don't even know how to run right. They cross their arms across their bodies as they stride, clench their hands and tighten muscles that should normally be left slack, lift their legs as they run... Improper and inefficient. No one here is superman, and nobodies knees are designed to last forever. Go run everyday for a year and a half improperly and I promise you'll start feeling your knees hurt more and more every month.
yes improper technique will tear your knees apart. my problem is that you said proper technique will only delay injury.
† CHRIST KREW #666 †
~»†††«~
Not_Werty7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:11 PM #33
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
Little_PB_Newb plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_angus View Post
Do you live in the American midwest? Have you ever heard of ****ing Iowa? Or Nebraska?

And what the **** does "that far" mean?
Canadian prairies..
Little_PB_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:07 AM #34
Hammi
wibbly wobbly

Quote:
Go run everyday for a year and a half improperly and I promise you'll start feeling your knees hurt more and more every month.
duh.

As long as you give your knees time to recover between runs then you'll be fine. Biking has actually been hurting my knees more than running lately. weird.
really is true, then there would be little hope for advance”
Hammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:04 AM #35
brassmonkey267

Just walk at aprox. 3.5 mph bro, you'll burn the most fat. broscience brah.
brassmonkey267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 PM #36
stealth91

doing high intensity intervals are your best bet. They save alot of time and the caloric burn is similar. Also they boost your metabolism higher than traditional cardio workouts. They can be done on the bike and treadmill, as long as your pushing yourself it doesn't matter. It's just a question of impact, bikes offer much lower impact vs treadmills, rowing is another good low impact workout with excellent results