Community Focus

Old 07-29-2010, 10:22 PM #1
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
Treadmills Vs Bikes - Cardio

Well I've noticed that my endurance on bikes is far better than my endurance on a treadmill, but I was wondering what the difference is between 10 minutes medium speed on a treadmill and 10 minutes medium speed on a bike, my goal is weight loss more than anything and I find the bikes to be much more comfortable over all, so if 15 minutes on the bike is like 10 min on the treadmill it might be a worth while trade off for me.
Little_PB_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 PM #2
Barber
Moose Krew.

has been a member for 10 years
Barber plays in the PSP
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
Turn up the intensity on the bike if it's that much easier.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:27 PM #3
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

I set it to about the same resistance as a normal riding bike on a street riding gear, the ones we use at the gym are electronic and have a screen that shows a bike track and you're riding on the path, it's kind of a good distraction from the burn I guess. I'm just asking if the bike offers a similar calorie burning workout as a treadmill as I find it more comfortable.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:42 PM #4
DetroitStrange05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_PB_Newb View Post
I set it to about the same resistance as a normal riding bike on a street riding gear, the ones we use at the gym are electronic and have a screen that shows a bike track and you're riding on the path, it's kind of a good distraction from the burn I guess. I'm just asking if the bike offers a similar calorie burning workout as a treadmill as I find it more comfortable.

laureate says:
who cares? a good workout is a good workout regardless of how many calories are burned. focus on getting a damn good workout rather than the amount of calories burned.
DetroitStrange05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:43 PM #5
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

When I'm trying to loose weight it kinda matters to me unless everything I've ever heard about weight loss is a lie.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 PM #6
DetroitStrange05

Quote:
When I'm trying to loose weight it kinda matters to me unless everything I've ever heard about weight loss is a lie.
well you're getting caught up in such a minute difference. just make sure your ****ing sweaty and tired. if you have accomplished that, then you have done the most possible. you dont want to be stopping your work out because you hit "200 calories" yet you're not very tired - it's cheating yourself. calories burned is not the goal.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:52 PM #7
inuyasharox4776
Its fun to do bad things.

Cardio **** at the gym sucks. Go run/bike up some hills.
inuyasharox4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:53 PM #8
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Well yes, but with a busy life comes time restraints, I have an hour to an hour and a half about 3 times a week and I'd like to make the most of it, if you're telling me a bike will get the job done then I have my answer.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:54 PM #9
DetroitStrange05

Quote:
Well yes, but with a busy life comes time restraints, I have an hour to an hour and a half about 3 times a week and I'd like to make the most of it, if you're telling me a bike will get the job done then I have my answer.
yes, a bike will do. but make sure you are tired AS ****. like, you cant move when you're done
Old 07-29-2010, 10:55 PM #10
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasharox4776 View Post
Cardio **** at the gym sucks. Go run/bike up some hills.
There are no hills here, not ****ting you.

Considered the flattest place in north america, you can literally see that far in the distance anywhere in the entire province.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 PM #11
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
Running will burn the most calories but if you can't run well, then it's not going to work. You can burn 1000 calories per hr running a 7:30min pace.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ight-loss.html

"May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
G.S.P
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 PM #12
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

since i have some attention, I used to use www.myfooddiary.com to track my caloric intake by selecting my foods/drinks in their database and it automatically calculated my nutrition stats and whatnot, but I heard there are some free sites that do the same thing, does anyone know any of them?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:09 PM #13
elfwoo2

elfwoo2 is a Paintball photographer
elfwoo2 plays in the APPA beginner division
fitday.com
Old 07-29-2010, 11:20 PM #14
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

I like livestrong.com the most, I used fitday for a long time, but since I eat out a lot (work/easier to control my diet until I move out, tomorrow) it has more things. Especially name brands so I don't have to plug so much custom stuff in.

Biking comparatively is easier regarding distance. Biking 5 miles is like running 1. When I'm feeling like I need a run but don't want to spend a long time doing it, I'll run a mile and a half and it takes me less than 15 minutes, which is an easy way to burn 250 calories and get my cardio up for sports. I usually do intervals too.
Jlausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:51 PM #15
inuyasharox4776
Its fun to do bad things.

Quote:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3408053

And like I said in that thread, the intensity is most important. If you're not exhausted and covered in sweat you're doing it wrong.
inuyasharox4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 PM #16
sdwinder9x
neon nights

Hey, I thought I'd chime in really quick because I actually know about this subject pretty well.

First things first, I gotta apologize to this forum. Seriously guys, I was a total douche when I first posted in here, and I know it. I totally made myself look like a joke, acted like I knew what I was talking about when I really didn't. I honestly think I deserve the ridicule that you guys threw at me, and it taught me to humble myself down and stop acting like I know everything. Now I just take notes, because there is always someone out there who knows more than I do. I spoke to Voxide a bit ago, and we cleared some **** up, but apparently he's banned now which sucks because I just got cool with that guy. Anyway, I'm going to give this another try. This forum is a really solid tool for working out, and I really regret having lost it as a tool so I want to come in for a second go and see if I can take the tools this forum offers and help myself.

In regards to cardio and biking, honestly if you're not doing interval training on a bike, using it as a workout is pretty worthless in terms of fat loss. Riding a bike, or the motions that you perform while riding a bike, tend to be a really efficient in terms of energy spent vs fat burned. The reason I say this is because I bike everyday for at least 20 miles on my bike (in real world conditions mind you, with hills everywhere and the like), and although I do break a sweat, it's nothing compared to when I used to run. I'm not saying that you won't burn fat on a bike, but realistically riding a bike machine on high intensity for 30 minutes won't really do THAT much for you when compared to other machines because you're doing the same guided motion for an extended period of time. It's like doing curls on a machine over free weights; yeah, you may notice growth in muscles but because the machine is guiding your form, it's too efficient and doesn't stimulate as much muscular growth. Granted you will burn calories, but not as much as you'd like. Here is my honest advice from someone who's done every form of cardio out there before finding something he liked that he sticks to that promises results.

My cardio tool that I swear by up and down: the glider, no ****ing joke. A lot of people underestimate this thing and talk down on it, but when I go to the gym I notice a large majority of people using the machine wrong. The proper way to use a glider is DON'T BOUNCE. If you see your reflection in the mirror and see yourself bouncing up and down, stop it. Keep yourself still, and concentrate on using your core and your legs to move the machine. It's a lot harder, you'll feel the burn more in your midsection/thighs, and you'll notice yourself start to drip sweat.

As far as the settings go, this is my plan of action when I use the machine. Every glider I've used has an incline and a resistance setting. The incline (for every machine I've used) is always at a default of 10. Don't touch that, it's fine the way it is. The resistance is what you want to concentrate on. I turn the resistance up to 13 and try to keep the RPMs above 150 for the 60 minutes that I'm on it (you shouldn't be doing 60 minutes of cardio if that's not your goal, 30 minutes is more than enough for someone just looking to burn fat). Now, I'm not superman so trying to keep the glider above 150 RPMs for 60 minutes on a resistance setting of 13 is REALLY hard. What I do then is I'll set it at 13 and try to keep the RPMs above 150 for as long as I can. If I start to notice that I'm consistently dropping below 150 RPMs, I'll drop the resistance to 12 (this is usually anywhere from 12-15 minutes into my workout). Again, keep the RPMs above 150 for as long as you can. If you notice yourself dropping consistently below 150 again, drop down to 11. Do this for 30 minutes every other day and I promise you that you will be pouring sweat and sore as you should be. I don't recommend doing it everyday, because you'll burn your body out very quickly if it's not used to working out that often. Also, the resistance settings I'm telling you are the ones I use. We're not the same, so find the setting best for YOU. I just used my settings as an example. But please, make sure you pick a difficult setting. If you're not having any problems keeping the RPMs above 150 for 30 minutes straight, you're not using a high enough setting. At a setting of 13, my legs burn when I'm doing my workout. It's not easy by any means. Find a setting that's comfortable, and then raise it by 1 or 2. That's what I did to find my setting, and it worked out great.

If you want to use the treadmill, do so. But USE PROPER RUNNING TECHNIQUE. Holy ****, I cant stress this enough. Running properly ensures conserving energy rather than wasting it by running inefficiently. Go on YouTube and watch videos on there, it'll teach you how to run properly without hurting yourself. If you run improperly, you'll **** up your knees (as I did) and then all you'll be able to do is bike, use the glider, or swim. I cant run anymore without my knees hurting, but no one told me about how to run right and I ended up hurting myself. Also, go to a proper shoe store and have them tell you your running style (neutral pronation, over pronator, under pronator) so you can get properly fitted shoes to help your knees last longer. If you run, eventually your knees will go out on you. If you run properly, you can delay injuries for a minute but the impact on your knees from running pretty much makes long term injury inevitable unless you've got ridiculous genetics.

That's my only advice. Stay away from a bike unless you do interval training. Or swim. Either way, stick to the glider.

Edit: Also, when using the glider, don't hold onto the handles. Pretend that you're running and move your hands freely parallel along your sides, keeping your elbows bent at a 30* angle and not clenching your hands. Pretend you're pinching a potato chip between your thumb and finger and don't want to break the chip.

Mister walkway. Mister walk down me, I'm the walk way. Lead me to the building, **** you.

Last edited by sdwinder9x : 07-31-2010 at 10:57 PM.
sdwinder9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:55 PM #17
Pyrosive
Jacked

Pyrosive helped look for balloons
Old 08-01-2010, 12:00 AM #18
RoGuE9
yeah

RoGuE9 is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlausen View Post
Biking comparatively is easier regarding distance. Biking 5 miles is like running 1. When I'm feeling like I need a run but don't want to spend a long time doing it, I'll run a mile and a half and it takes me less than 15 minutes, which is an easy way to burn 250 calories and get my cardio up for sports. I usually do intervals too.
running a mile and a half does not burn 250 calories.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:09 AM #19
Pyrosive
Jacked

Pyrosive helped look for balloons
Look at all the banished posters coming back out to play and stir up trouble again
Old 08-01-2010, 12:25 AM #20
peltco123 (Banned)
It's hot in this place

peltco123 is a Professional paintball player
peltco123 plays in the PSP
peltco123 plays in the APPA D2 division
Strongest wall of text I have seen in awhile sdwinder.

Did not read.
peltco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:50 AM #21
sdwinder9x
neon nights

You guys seriously, seriously are under estimating the stuff I've dealt with in the last year. Honestly, the only thing I can say is talk to Voxide. I'm hoping he can help the situation out. But seriously, life is not as black and white as you see it. People do change. But I'd be stupid for expecting that much from you guys, because that actually takes some level of maturity that I'm only assuming you guys have.

That's all I can say. Cue the **** talking.

Also, that wall of text is solid.

Mister walkway. Mister walk down me, I'm the walk way. Lead me to the building, **** you.
sdwinder9x is offline   Reply With Quote