Community Focus

Old 07-24-2010, 06:38 PM #1
[Paradox]Twitch
www.EPBros.com

[Paradox]Twitch is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
[Paradox]Twitch plays in the APPA D5 division
Reasonable Charge for Rental Packages?

So our standard rental package includes marker (Tippmann Pro Carbine, or 98 Custom), gravity hopper, standard goggles, CO2 tank, and pod pack.

We charge $12.50 for that. I'm considering testing out having two upgrade packages:

-Silver Package including a custom milled, Silver SP Ion. Aggitated hopper, standard goggles, steel N2 tank, and standard pod pack. Price: $17.50.

-Gold Package including a Dangerous Power G3 SE. Force feed hopper, Vforce Profiler goggles, carbon fiber N2 tank, and standard pod pack. Price: $22.00.

I'd say nearly 85% of our demographic is men, aged 25-45, country born and raised, coming for a bachelor party. Incomes widely vary within a group, to some guys asking others to borrow them money or paintballs to guys willing to pay for 1 to 3 of the other guys not expecting to get paid back.

Of course I'm considering getting a more "realistic" marker and maybe a sci-fi futuristic marker to appeal more to our customers. Such as a Model 98 with an M16/M4 body kit and a Smart Parts SP-8 (although both sound like a ***** to clean).

Are those prices reasonable? Do you think I should decrease or could increase the price? Do you think the sleek look of the markers and emphasizing the words "power" and "hi-tech" would get them to pay an extra $5-10. I figured if they are, not only would we bring in some extra money on the rental, but those people would end up shooting far more paintballs.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2010, 08:06 PM #2
invertfan12345
both ways?

invertfan12345 is playing at Living Legends III
invertfan12345 supports Team VICIOUS
invertfan12345 is for the Gunfight
invertfan12345 supports Sherwood Forest
packages sound about right all around and well you could get a sp1 with a shroud and stock
Old 07-24-2010, 08:54 PM #3
Killjoy9989
STB Field/Store/Mag Owner

Its different for every field but i know its pretty common to charge $20 for all day entry and Air or $40-45 for All day entry and air and 98custom rental package... so idk its up to u

Selling Brass Eagle Pump Paintball Gun
WTB Tippmann Triumph
WTB Gearbags/Backpacks/Podpacks/pods
WTB Field Stuff
Killjoy9989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:05 PM #4
InvalidEntry
3P1C F41L

InvalidEntry is playing at Living Legends V
the paintball field I go to charges 15 admission, 25 for rentals, and 50 for a case of paint... but if u buy a case of paint, they give you free rental, and on fridays admission is free.
Lol, rentals are twice as expensive as your place, is that right???
Old 07-25-2010, 02:05 AM #5
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Your rental package pricing is part of your overall pricing strategy and can't be decided separately from what you charge for everything else. Were it me, I would charge $160+ for a case of paint and charge $5 for rentals and possibly not even offer upgrades on the rental. I'd have to see how offering upgrades impacted the amount of fun people were having.

An idea I had recently was to actually charge for NOT using a rental. Require that any non-field gun get a gun pass for the day for $5 extra. Maybe waive the fee for pumps and maybe mechanicals. So if you want to bring your paint-hoser onto the field, it'll cost you.

I think that may be overkill when the easier solution is just charge more for paint (and less for entry/air/admission).

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org

Last edited by raehl : 07-25-2010 at 02:08 AM.
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:56 AM #6
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I have a feeling this is going to get out of hand quickly.....

Personally I'm a little OCD-ash about numbers at a field, so if trying to stay around your prices I would go with $15/$20 or $15/$25 as price points. As you may have noticed I also only showed prices for 2 options not 3. Having 3 options is unnecessary, some would argue 2 is 1 too many. When you start having too many options it gets confusing and it's unnecessary. You don't need 3 marker/tier choices, most people you are marketing to don't understand the difference between mid and top level marker, nor would most of them even notice the difference. The only thing they care about is fun and their gear not giving them any problems. If you are already using 98's then I would look at renting out upgraded versions of the 98. It will keep your base the same, that will keep the bulk of your repair parts the same, and if you have a store (or a good relationship with a store) it will show players how they can get the basic model an build it up.** The most important things to consider (IMO) are reliability, ease of repair/cleaning, and eyes. You do not need force fed, custom, fancy, or pretty. Customers renting markers don't care about all of that crap, the only people who care about it already have it.

To expand a little on what Chris said, you have to remember that offering increased firepower to your customers also offers increased to their opponents. So the idea of having customers shoot more means that those same customers will be shot at more and although some love the idea of being able to shoot more/faster most don't love the idea of being shoot at more/faster. Once again the people who really care about higher volume are not renters, renters just care about fun, and for them being on the receiving end of higher volume isn't that much fun.

**As an additional note the 98 build up idea. If you do have a store and sold/stocked 98 upgrade parts you could use it as a possible avenue to build a MP-5/AK-47/Barrett and rent them out then possible sell them as used. (after a few rentals) "Little billy" has a birthday party, you give the birthday boy a free upgraded rental, he love it, mom forks out the money and Billy gets to take it home. You could possibly even market it as one of the birthday packages where he gets to play with a "rental" (it's actually brand new) and at then end of the day you (or mom/dad) surprise him and tell him the marker is his and he gets to take it home.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:44 AM #7
[Paradox]Twitch
www.EPBros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee72 View Post
When you start having too many options it gets confusing and it's unnecessary.
That's a good point. We charge $12.50 entry, $12.50 for rental and $18/500 paint. Even having that simple structure it can get confusing. Like you said most people who come as a private party don't know the differences and using an expensive hopper is just another thing they have to remember to turn on/off and that can get broken. Perhaps just have an upgrade package and let them chose what marker they want if they're willing to spend an extra $10?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 AM #8
EZ Air

I will sell you 50 rental Ions that are pure DoDo. They can't be rented out. Tried at 3 fields and all got retired. They are in such bad shape after 5 months that they got thrown in a box and left for dead.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:13 PM #9
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Paradox]Twitch View Post
..... Even having that simple structure it can get confusing.......
That's why I love $5 increments for bigger things and $1 for small things, never dealing with $0.50. (except for candy/chips) The math is easy for kids and employees, lessens mistakes and confusion. The bigger issue comes in trying to split a bill or go in together on paint, every little thing can have an impact on the whole day, so every little choice matters.
Quote:
......is just another thing they have to remember to turn on/off and that can get broken....
If you're going elec. hoppers, and on/off switch, not button, is best and preferably with some sort of indicator of it being on.(light/LCD screen) Also a simple design and easy to clean and replace batteries.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:24 PM #10
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
ieee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Air View Post
I will sell you 50 rental Ions that are pure DoDo. They can't be rented out. Tried at 3 fields and all got retired. They are in such bad shape after 5 months that they got thrown in a box and left for dead.
Complex electronic rental guns are a bad idea. They increase your costs, your labour and your stress levels. I would avoid them as rentals period.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:06 PM #11
usedpaintballstuff

usedpaintballstuff plays in the PSP
usedpaintballstuff plays in the APPA D3 division
usedpaintballstuff has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
usedpaintballstuff has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I should considering doing away with CO2...Air is better for the field owner...

I think your pricing is cheap...
2009 Regional 3-Man Champs
2008 World Cup Champs
usedpaintballstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:36 PM #12
[Paradox]Twitch
www.EPBros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedpaintballstuff View Post
I should considering doing away with CO2...Air is better for the field owner...

I think your pricing is cheap...
Yeah we have a huge electric compressor that fills a bulk 4500psi tank in about an hour. So we plan on converting over to HPA soon.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:13 PM #13
Executive Paintball
Field Owner

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
That's a good point. We charge $12.50 entry, $12.50 for rental and $18/500 paint. Even having that simple structure it can get confusing. Like you said most people who come as a private party don't know the differences and using an expensive hopper is just another thing they have to remember to turn on/off and that can get broken. Perhaps just have an upgrade package and let them chose what marker they want if they're willing to spend an extra $10?
I would simplify your rental pricing even more. Offer the above for a package price and do the separate pricing ala cart.

Rental, Entry and 500 rounds for $40. When someone asks how much for the day 1 simple easy price.

Or charge $25 to rent but include 'free' entry.
When someone calls you say $25 for rental including entry plus however much paint you think you will use.

To also add the pricing structure we are toying around with at the future indoor location is $20 entry/air and no additional charge for rental equipment. I think target indy does something like this at his field.
Executive Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:52 PM #14
Rob66
youtube.com/shootinstuff

Rob66 posts videos on PbNation
Rob66 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Rob66 is Legendary
Rob66 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Executive Paintball View Post
I would simplify your rental pricing even more. Offer the above for a package price and do the separate pricing ala cart.

Rental, Entry and 500 rounds for $40. When someone asks how much for the day 1 simple easy price.

Or charge $25 to rent but include 'free' entry.
When someone calls you say $25 for rental including entry plus however much paint you think you will use.

To also add the pricing structure we are toying around with at the future indoor location is $20 entry/air and no additional charge for rental equipment. I think target indy does something like this at his field.
what my field does and i think its a good deal.
Rob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:01 PM #15
BananaJacksonthe 3rd
Das Air Cooled.

BananaJacksonthe 3rd is playing at Living Legends VI
BananaJacksonthe 3rd owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
BananaJacksonthe 3rd supports Team VICIOUS
BananaJacksonthe 3rd posts videos on PbNation
BananaJacksonthe 3rd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
BananaJacksonthe 3rd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
BananaJacksonthe 3rd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
we do rental-entry and 500 rounds for 35$ and thats with wpn
to rent and get 1000 rounds its 48$
Old 07-27-2010, 09:16 AM #16
MeĐiCX
Boneyard Paintball

MeĐiCX owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
MeĐiCX owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
We only use Tippmann 98Cs for rentals. Electros would be a bad choice for rentals (too much up keep!).

Our rental package (marker, all day air, entry and 500 rnds) is $35. Private parties get $5 discount.
MeĐiCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 AM #17
four

You guys are lucky, at my local field it's 37 for all day, 100 rounds and free air. Another 45 just for 500 paintballs. Normally costs over 100 to play a full day.

http://flagraidersonline.com/home.php?cat=5
four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:35 AM #18
ddoppler15

ddoppler15 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
if i had a field. i would make tippmans regular rental.
or u can upgrade to azodin kaos with a nice barrel or something.
kaos is a great cheap gun with little to no maintenance
ddoppler15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:20 PM #19
[Paradox]Twitch
www.EPBros.com

I'm thinking about doing G3's as rentals. I have 2 of them that I was going to sell for $200 each (They're the Special Edition ones). Then I realized that in 2 months I could make that much money renting them out. Plus there is no maintenance needed on those other then the occasional squeegee through the gun and lubing it up. Takes about 3 minutes per marker. They're definitely more spendy then the SP Ions I've been suggested to pick up, but with being such a simple design and being so easy to fix, I think they're the way to go. I've had mine for almost 3 years now and I've only replaced 2 o-rings. Now granted I don't abuse my marker like rec players do, but most of the damage they do is to the tanks, hoppers and paint jobs on the markers. The internals are all enclosed. Also by offering electronic markers, not only can I charge more, but they'll shoot more. I'll have to get all the upgrade package players a extra speech on turning the marker on and off but that's no big deal.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:49 PM #20
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Also by offering electronic markers, not only can I charge more, but they'll shoot more.
Why is that a good thing?

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM #21
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Honestly, a reasonable price for rentals is pretty subjective to your own market and situation. You need to charge what you need to charge to make money. If you're always booked, then don't be afraid to charge a bit more. Set the price where it's most profitable, not just profitable. If that makes sense.

I think most people on here have a decent rate but I'm with Chris, I say include their paint, entry, rental everything they need in one price. That way customers can worry about having fun, not tabulating costs. It's easier on the staff as well.

I wouldn't use electros for rentals period! Something like a G3 may seem easy to clean and maintain, but the cost of batteries and then electro hoppers(you'll need something other than gravity feed for them to work) will kill your profit margin.

Even as an upgrade, it will give some players the ability to outshoot others which is great for them, but makes an unlevel playing field. That can leave a bad taste in other people's mouths at the end of the day.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote