Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:33 PM #1
haxxorboi
Freestyle Balla

has been a member for 10 years
Looking to get into pump

Hey all! I'm usually a speedball/recball player but I want to try out some pump play as it seems so much more pure to what the sport is really about to me. I'm not really looking for tournament play with it but I would like to use it in speedball when I go (bi-monthly). I've tried a few pumps out in the past (SL, Tracer, Phantom) and I've enjoyed playing with them as well simply from the aspect messing around and having fun.

I've been looking for a good pump but realized I'm horribly indecisive and can't decide if I want to go cheap to try or just jump to what I know I'll probably end up with. I look for quality over quantity usually and chances are what I get will be what I stick with for several years (still using 04 ICD and loving it).

I really love the look of the WGP Orr Karni pump and Oracle pumps, but then again I'm loving the S6/T2 looks as well. I've never used Cocker before exclusively though so I almost think going CCM would be the best route. I'm definitely more of an Open Play guy though so I'm not thinking the Phantom is the best route at all for me.

Cost isn't really an issue, though $600 for a T2 is pretty hard to swallow. That said if I got a KP I'd probably still add a barrel, On/Off, Reg, and Feedneck to it so that would drive the low end up as well.

Basically:
Want: Light, compact, smooth action, low maintenance, high reliability, relatively efficient, and holds retail relatively well.
Don't Want: Lots of timing problems, cheap make, breaking rods, or low resale in 5 years time.

So what's the consensus? Buy low and upgrade? Buy high end as I'll probably end up there anyway?

Thanks all!
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 PM #2
Scharfschutze91
I love Pump

www.paintballgateway.com (Phantoms)

but since you're not a phantom guy... i like the S6.
Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.".
Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 PM #3
GFX260
Jesse Day

GFX260 supports Team VICIOUS
GFX260 is for the Gunfight
build your own sniper

look for cockers then buy a kit or just check the bst

or just go for the S6.5 & be full on double rainbow all the way satisfied
Old 07-22-2010, 10:10 PM #4
Scharfschutze91
I love Pump

well, it's preference with CCM guns. S6, S6.5 and T2 all are great and perform the same regardless of what anyone says, it's just looks.
Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.".
Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 AM #5
jay3303
West Covina/Covina

jay3303 supports Team VICIOUS
Build a sniper. You don't have to to worry about timing with pumps, and the autococker isn't complicated or hard to clean at all. The pneumatics are usually the problem with any autococker and with a pump you eliminate the problems you'd get from them. Goodluck.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:06 AM #6
Kenny OKC
In Memory of Steve

Kenny OKC plays in the PSP
Kenny OKC owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Kenny OKC owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Kenny OKC plays in the APPA D5 division
Phantom all the way!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:38 AM #7
NVDylen
Go Pump!!

Azodin Kaos Pump Plus.

Click the Azodin Army link in my sig below. There is a pic of my marker (Post #86). What you are looking at there runs approximately:

Azodin Kaos Pump Plus = $260
Ninja 13/3000 Tank = $60
Sportshot Hopper = $10
CP .685 Barrel = $30
LapCo .680 Sizer = $15
Case = $25

Total = $400

Note the KP+ includes the on/off ASA, Regulator, improved Hitman Mod, and of course the Electronic Trigger setup (3 modes). This thing shoots accurate and consistent as heck, is VERY light, and you cannot beat the price. It leaves you some cash to get a nice mask and other accessories.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:03 AM #8
haxxorboi
Freestyle Balla

I'll have to look into into building a Sniper or just getting a CCM. I'm pretty picky on cocker designs though so it may be hard to find a good design that is also light enough. Bonebrake and Shocktech made some really nice bodies back in the day but those have been hard to find. I'm really digging the S6.5 design a lot, ridiculously sexy look to it. I may be able to find a used S6 or T2 though so I'll have to keep my eyes on some BSTs.

On a side note about Azodins... I've already have a large sum of money into the sport from the past decade (more than I want to admit to my girlfriend at least!), which is why the money really isn't a huge factor to me. I take good care of my gear and don't really gunwhore so I try to keep that in mind when purchasing. I already have guns, tanks, barrels, cases, hoppers, etc. The reason the Azodin creeps me out is that it's essentially a Spyder/Piranha style design and even the internals look cheap to me. In addition there's numerous reports of quality degradation over the past year in terms of the KP's materials.

I initially looked at the KP as a great starter but the fact is that I don't need a starter, I need a nice pump. Yes, the KP is great as an intro pump but I'd rather get a used CCI or CCM than go with a new Azodin. Simply put, the Azodin doesn't scream quality like I'm key on.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:21 AM #9
Sogamember666
This is not an Exit

Sogamember666 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Sogamember666 supports Team VICIOUS
Sogamember666 supports Bob Gurnsey
Sogamember666 supports our troops
Sogamember666 is Legendary
When I first started off pump, I bought a phantom. This was after playing several years of semi play. I did enjoy it but felt I was more accustom to open style play so I ended up getting an sniper II. I really enjoyed the feel but not the performance attributes of that marker. So after trying different pumps I ended up with a CCM S6. Never regretted it. Since then I have owned 3 more. I also plan to purchase a T2 and another S6. Once I get the S6.5P back from the annoer

Seeing as how you have a multitude of barrels and tanks, you will not need anything for this marker. Maybe a smaller hopper but that is about it.

The quality of the markers is top notch. The guns shoot smooth and efficient right out of the box. The boys make sure they are tourney ready before they leave the factory. The S6 is a tack driver. The anno is flawless and thick. The inner tubes are basically glass smooth. I could go on and on. It really is worth every penny you spend.

The customer service that CCM provides is INSANE! The emails are responded quickly and the phone always gets answered. Mel, Rod, Bill, Laurie, etc. are all amazing people and go out of there way to make sure things get right as well as the right information is given to the customer. They also do alot for the pump community, sponsor teams and tournament series, offer pump kits, etc. They are one of the best, if not the best, companies in the sport of paintball and with them continuing to come out with new and innovative products, they will be top dog for quite some time.

If you want to spend the money, and are pretty sure that you will stick with the marker than an S6/T2/J2L is right for you. You can find them used on here, ebay, and mcarterbrown. Nothing however, beats the feel of getting a brand new one
Old 07-23-2010, 08:24 AM #10
noclue119
D3 to D4 in.... never

Annual Supporting Member
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
noclue119 supports Team VICIOUS
noclue119 plays in the APPA D3 division
noclue119 supports Empire
Let me put it this way for you.

S6/S6.5/T2 = Ego/DM/NT/Shockers - Every good at what it does. The manufacture gives you all the specs to disassemble and put it back together and still shoot 290 FPS. I.e. the number of turn on the HP reg, position of the LPR. You will not have any problems with it once you watch the video/read the manual.

Built Snipers/Azodins = Mini/PMR/ION/ - Great guns, but there is just that 1 quirky thing about it. i.e. you have to figure out your HPR and IVG settings. The guns are not very well documented. Trial by fire the first time you put it together. Once you learn you will have no problem with it.

Phantom = First strike guns. It designed for 1 thing in mind. But does it do that one thing very well. i.e. open class play.

I had a phantom, built 3 custom sniper(1 of which has a undrilled eclipse body more expensive than a t2), and played with a T2. I am now in the process of buying a T2. The reason is if your gun is not designed to work together as a pump, it will not have butter smooth operation. *1 Side note* MQed sniper. Those things are very very very nice. But in the end you have spend just as much as a T2 for the build.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:21 AM #11
haxxorboi
Freestyle Balla

Alright. So I'm decided on the CCM. I realize that there's essentially no differences between the S6/S6.5/T2 internally but are there any real differences beyond T2/S6.5 are half-block and lighter while S6 is full block and a little heavier?
Old 07-23-2010, 09:24 AM #12
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
You can build a mQ sniper for a lot less than buying a new T2...

Suffice it to say that you're liable to get what you pay for in the pump department. Sure, there are plenty of options out there that "do the job", but only so many that do it well, do it comfortably, and look good the whole time.

If reliablility is a key factor, stay away from anything that requires batteries.

For all that has been said in this thread, you could have checked the stickies in the Pump Markers forum lower on the main page of PbN. There is all kinds of help there.

Also, the biggest difference between the T2 and S6 is likely the price tag at this point.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 AM #13
noclue119
D3 to D4 in.... never

Annual Supporting Member
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
noclue119 supports Team VICIOUS
noclue119 plays in the APPA D3 division
noclue119 supports Empire
T2 half blocked dual pump arm

S6.5 half blocked single pump arm

S6 is full blocked single pump arm.

I love the way S6.5 looks but I want dual pump arms
Old 07-23-2010, 10:19 AM #14
jay3303
West Covina/Covina

jay3303 supports Team VICIOUS
A well built sniper could be just as smooth as a ccm built gun imo, I just love building what I use, it just adds to the fun. But I'll admit that the ccm guns are very nice, I wouldn't mind owning a t2, s6.5, or a j2l. Very nice guns but maybe a bit out of my price range. Eventually I believe I'll own one though.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 AM #15
Scharfschutze91
I love Pump

I love my phantoms... i don't believe in smooth pump strokes... seems to easy to me. And I also am a paintball nazi when it comes to conserving ammo. so phantom vsc setup with a 13ci tank is for me.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM #16
Sogamember666
This is not an Exit

Sogamember666 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Sogamember666 supports Team VICIOUS
Sogamember666 supports Bob Gurnsey
Sogamember666 supports our troops
Sogamember666 is Legendary
I've built 3 snipers/ owned about another 3 and no matter what I've done, I couldn't get them as smooth as an S6. I'm also not a pro like some of these guys on the sheridan platform.

The way I see it on sniper projects:

Body with internals (no reg, no frame): $75-$100
Decent regulator: $45-$90
CCM Deluxe pump kit with trigger frame and AT: $209
on/off with fittings: $45-$60
Barrel: $40 - higher

Now, these number can be alittle off, but its what I'm pulling from my head so its a rough estimate. At all those minimum prices I've posted you are going to be spending around $415. Now assuming that the body you buy is one of good quality and contains a clamping feedneck. Also assuming the internals in the body are of good quality and you don't need a spring kit. Now once that is all said in done you might have a marker that is about 3 different colors. You can choose to anno it so it matches or leave it looking like a toddlers spew after eating a box of gushers. Nothing wrong with that, but its a personal opinion. So you might possibly end up spending more than you thought you were going to, to get the marker you want. Right now I have a Nexus DC2 project. After purchasing the gun and all the goodies I want for it, I have spent about $1500ish BEFORE I send if off to anno. But when she gets back, she will be one of the most BA pumps out there.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:06 PM #17
daniel26ladd
#1 PB Fan

invest in a cocker and buy a pump kit

Dynasty fanclub #534
RyanGreenspanFan club #332
Old 07-28-2010, 03:22 PM #18
yoder916
DIRTBAGS

yoder916 plays in the PSP
Ive built many a pumps, And Only shoot CCM now. And like a buddy said to me why put all your money into building a pump when CCM does it for you... and trust me they do it quite well. Do it big or go home. thats how I look at it anyway, if money isn't that big of an issue for you, then what do you have to loose picking up an amazing CCM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 PM #19
SPC. Cejka
D Co 334th BSB 34 ID

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...pressions.html

If you are thinking CCM this is the forum to go to!

http://www.a5og.net/random-room/3635...tml#post487291

"Pumping is about as much a disadvantage for me as shifting is for a Nascar driver"
Old 07-29-2010, 04:49 AM #20
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC. Cejka View Post
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...pressions.html

If you are thinking CCM this is the forum to go to!
CCM posts plenty here as well as MCB. There's really no reason to suggest that.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:52 PM #21
GFX260
Jesse Day

GFX260 supports Team VICIOUS
GFX260 is for the Gunfight
I'd buy high, but there are a lot of options. what is your budget?
Closed Thread