PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 11-03-2003, 02:40 PM #43
reaper61

has been a member for 10 years
OK, maybe people aren't finding or reading the PDF file on DarkViking...

This is what is included in the PDF instruction/installation manual as my premise for the purpose of the PECS...

PECS were designed to protect your eye installation, allow easy access to the eyes without removing small screws, provide a wire passage from your eyes to the circuit board, maintain the integrity of your marker body and allow you to customize your marker in your own unique way. The intent of the PECS is to provide a base, a canvas in which you can paint, annodize, etch, drill, cut, punch and you won't have to send your gun anywhere - just your PECS. Everyone has an opinion onwhat is "cool" and the posibilities are only limited by your imagination.

The greatest opportunity in customizing the PECS is in the creation and application of full panel stickers. The idea is to create an image, logo or important message on the computer, print it unto some sticky backed paper - bumper sticker paper - and apply it to the panels. Granted this is not a permanent application, but you can change the design of your marker from week to week, from season to season or from owner to owner. There are vinyls that you can get from a sign shop like Fast Signs or you can track down some architectural grade vinyls that look like natural materials - wood, marble, granite or solid colors. With the cost of an annodization of a marker ranging in the $100 - $200+ range, printing images from a computer - $5-$10. Granted, you will have to spend some of your time in the creation and application of the image, but with an AKA marker, what else are you going to spend your time on - maintenance?

Again this is not a solution for everyone - it's an alternative to the current eye covering offering and gives you the opportunity to customize the look of your marker cost effectively, if you so desire - how you do it is entirely up to you - anno, paint, computer generated decal, colored vinyls!?
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2003, 03:54 PM #44
ballyhoo33

ballyhoo33 is a Supporting Member
I think you have thought up a creative alternative of the need for eye covers and at the same time allowing the user to add some flare (a la Office Space) to his marker. You mentioned in a previous post that you hope to capture 10-20% of current Viking/Excal owners and I think that several of these people may indeed buy your product if : 1) They want to upgrade and use the WAS eye system, and 2) they want to personalize their gun.

I think you would persuade more people if you had more example photos showing potential customers what their marker could look like if they bought your product. When I looked at the pdf of your product (by the way was that intended for the U.S. Patent Office?) I was skeptical and the photos didn't do much for me. When someone posted an action photos of a Viking withthe PECS I was much more impressed and couldn't tell that there was some aftermarket product covering the body.

I think with a little more marketing you could sell some of the PECS. I didn't see a price (I may have overlooked it, especially with some of the long-winded paragraphs in the pdf). Have you came up with a price yet?

Jeff
Old 11-03-2003, 04:19 PM #45
reaper61

find more info, pics and PDF here...

http://darkviking.com/modules.php?na...iewtopic&t=144

follow the links...
Old 11-03-2003, 04:46 PM #46
ballyhoo33

ballyhoo33 is a Supporting Member
I followed the links. The photos aren't bad. I'm guessing you can't upload high-res photos to that site...

Jeff
Old 11-03-2003, 06:02 PM #47
CpCnCir3

undrdg- i know i came off a bit harsh, but that was the only way i could express what i was thinking. i usually dont like flaming and like 99% of the time i am helpful and nice about pretty much everything. i just had an opinion on this product and i didnt know how else to express it. i mean i already admitted that its great that he took the time to invent and make a product. i just dont think the whole idea and reasoning behind making it is strong enough to actually attract people to buy it. i dunno what else to say. i didnt mean to sound like an ******* but i figured i might as well be blunt and get my opinion across with some statements to back it up. theres not much else i can say on why i think its pointless except what ive already mentioned so i guess im done, lol.

reaper- i really do wish you luck on selling your product and hopefully more people than i think are interested in it and you get what you are looking for. i just personally dont think its going to happen. then again, thats just my opinion and what am i to you? besides a potential customer im not really much to you so take what i said how you want but im not changing my opinion on your product.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:46 PM #48
undrdg
RIP Larry Alexander

cpcncir3 i respect your opinion man, no worries. I see your point of view. You are still good in my book.

Reaper I have some good marketing skills and would be interested in helping getting your product out there. I am excellent with flash, so i am thinking a 3d rotating image of your product. Get in touch with me and we will put our heads together and come up with a concept.

undrdg
Old 11-04-2003, 06:10 AM #49
doc Zox
Team "Dead by Dawn"

upload a sqaure on side picture of the marker with the side panel
and one in the same location with the cover off

and i will "Photoshop mill" some concepts

www.uploadit.org handles up to 600k files for free
Veteran of the Bill Gardner smack down; 10/16/07-10/17/07, 11:05pm - 2:01am
Old 11-04-2003, 11:48 AM #50
IluvVIKINGS
and women

I don't think that pecs is a bad idea. If you ever scratched the body of the gun, then this would give you the eyes and make your marker look new. I just might try this on my ex. I appreciate his fresh idea. I also think the critics could be a little less cynical.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:54 AM #51
unonad
Only one baby!!!!

Glad to see someone that is using their mind, Personally they really don`t appeal to me. On the other hand I can`t critizize someone for using their brain. AKA stickers are my choice for eye covers, (although I own a few pairs of covers on other AKA markers). I think congrats are in order for thinking outside the box!!! I work at Boeing, and I can tell you that problems and ideas are solved and sorted out by having different "eyes" look at the problem. Sometimes we have people that aren`t even involved in a project just look at a particular idea or problem, and a solution is found, not allways but the more "eyes" you have looking at something, the more ideas that will come out..

p.s. All those putting out the negative vibes...Stop, you bringin me down..

V2-Revenge, Crusader VK, Halfmill VK, and 5 RAW VK\EX Bodies waiting for mill work.
U\L`d DM5,PM5`s-
Invert MINI-
Foehn bodied ION-
LEEK THE TOAD!!!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1402701 <<<<FeedBack
Old 11-04-2003, 02:22 PM #52
EvilPopTart

Annual Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is a Moderator
EvilPopTart is a Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is playing at Living Legends VII
EvilPopTart is Boss
if I buy another unmilled marker I will buy a pair to spite all the haters out there. If you can anodize some to match my blue excalibur I will buy one and take lots of pictures because I believe this is probably the first original idea I have seen in a while for AKA guns. More power to you reaper and keep the ideas flowing.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:16 PM #53
reaper61

Evil -

You can go and anno the covers, but don't forget the possibilities of painting, plastic sheet vinyls and just your computer, printer and some sticker material - I've been experimenting with an IBM printer paper for bumper stickers.

Evil - do you have a picture or better yet, maybe a pantone number for you rcolor of blue? Pantone number you say? It's a color calibration system from the printing industry and other industries - if you are a graphic designer or you go to a print shop, they may be able to tell you your color number. You can probably have a Kinko's or sign shop print you your color unto an adhesive backed vinyl and there you go - instant match.

Or go to ashop like Fast Signs, they have a vinyls in the ScotchCal brand - thsy may have your color instock, or can get it for you.

Or you can go to an automotive store and match your anno to a paint can and spary paint your covers to match. If you want more, visit an airbrush artist and see what he can do to match your color and maybe do a fade or some lightening bolts if the mood strikes you.

The point is you don't have to limited by conventional methods to colorize/customize your marker.

Doc Zox - I think has the idea here - Photoshop milling. Milling is just highlights and shadows which can be created in digital programs like Photoshop. You don't have to worry about screws, ball detents or going too deep into the body of the marker - it's just a picture - virtual milling. From here you can create fades, splahes, etc. that would push the current technology of annodizing and it will probably cost you $15 for some printable material opposed to $200+ for an extreme anno job.

A nice anno job is great, but if you look at it as just color - there are other options to look at to obtain the "look" that you want at a tenth of the price. You scratch it, you print another one or you just repaint it.

Sorry to go on and on...there are so many options.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:18 AM #54
EvilPopTart

Annual Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is a Moderator
EvilPopTart is a Supporting Member
EvilPopTart is playing at Living Legends VII
EvilPopTart is Boss
Brilliant. Im headed to kinkos later today with excalibur in hand. should be interesting. Now I have like 5 different colors of sapphire blue on my excalibur. which one do you think I should match?
Old 11-05-2003, 07:51 PM #55
pbguy434
www.air-powered.com

Voila, professional stickers. Terry's(www.g3pb.com) son makes them for racing and stuff...
Vector9:75% of timmy owners are children that think shooting fast is what makes a gun good.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:24 PM #56
Trix
RIP DALE #3

Trix supports our troops
Trix is an NCPA player
Trix supports DLX Technology
I like it, weight has never been to much of an issue to me considering my gun weighs a lot anyways. I dont see whats wrong with a little more surface area considering I play as tight as possible and I really dont think 1/8 of an inch is going to affect my game. And it is definately a much cheaper solution to getting my gun milled or annodized. I dont have eyes and I dont really plan on getting them. But I can still seriously consider this add on. Its a good idea but Im still not sure whether I'll get it.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:50 AM #57
reaper61

Trix -

Thanks for the tip, looking into it...
Old 11-06-2003, 07:05 PM #58
Trix
RIP DALE #3

Trix supports our troops
Trix is an NCPA player
what tip you lost me.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:37 PM #59
reaper61

oops...

Trix, you get a free "thanks for the tip". It was really intended for - pbguy434 - Thanks for the tip pbguy434 - looking into it...
Old 11-06-2003, 09:43 PM #60
Trix
RIP DALE #3

Trix supports our troops
Trix is an NCPA player
w00t
Old 01-30-2004, 03:46 PM #61
Toadazzoffa
two cases - one kill

Quote:
Originally posted by reaper61
And again the weight - it's about the weight of a nine volt battery - I'll get more specifics tomorrow. Eat more Wheaties! [/b]
THANK YOU, someone said it before I did!! Ya wanna save weight?? Take off that halo b and go to a VL200 (Ok meybe a bit extreme).

People keep telling me "That gun weighs a ton!" I always say "Get in the gym once in awhile!"

I see alot of cool things you can do with 'em. I'd like them to protect the marker itself - not the eyes. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking use the regular eye covers, and skeletize the PECS. Cut lots of voids in them (while trying to maintain strength), this would be to prevent DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE GROUND OR OTHER HARD/DAMAGING OBJECTS.
I'll probably do it just to see what it comes out like AND I'LL ONLY BE OUT $40 IF ITS NOT TO MY LIKING.

Plus, with the idea above, you could accentuate/match anno with other accessories on your marker to improve the look.

SP = Corporate greed.