Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 11-02-2003, 09:21 PM #22
mlk3454
Weekend Warrior

mlk3454 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
in reapers defense on the cell phone thing you can buy those rubber covers that fit around the phone like a glove and there are also those leather ones and the plastic shell ones that clip on....
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2003, 09:31 PM #23
GTRsi
aGG?

GTRsi is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by reaper61
JPK -
For a little additional cost, the application eliminates the need to notch your tray,

With a name like GTRsi - I assume you are into cars and you would appreciate the opportunity to customize your marker.

The current eye covers just cover you eyes.
I feel ya man but it just isnt working for me. Maybe some folks would like the ability to reskin thier vik/excal, however GT's 1/2 milled DD just aint feeling it.

Dont you get your tray notched when the eyes are drilled?
Old 11-02-2003, 09:41 PM #24
reaper61

CpCnCir3 -

The PECS are a duplicate of the AKA marker family - It's a 1/8" offset of the existing marker surface - no more than the offset of the JMJ eye cover - but again, running the full length of the body. I intentionally designed it this way to maintain the integrity of the AKA signature body style. Granted, it is adding another surface, but this is an aftermarket application. If I had an opportunity to design the marker from scratch, I would have included this as part of the design - interesting option - looks like an internal eye configuration, and I can change the color of the marker to my liking.

I'm a optimist. This isn't going to be for everyone, I'm looking at 10-20% of all the AKA markers.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:50 PM #25
Ross
Somewhat an OG

Ross is a Supporting Member
ok dude, first off probs on the enginuity.

That is all I have to say that is nice. Sorry but it's true.

OK, ur adding more weight to the gun, if u have a custom ANO neways it's gonna be covered up by ur big *** eye cover. I mean the stupidity of your invention amazes me I can hardly phrase it in words. I mean ur efectively emphasizing the only problem vikings have, and that's their weight. they are already a semi heavy marker. I mean, my god how can u compare this to a body kit for a car, or a cell phone cover. the only thing this relates to is the gay leather covers people get for their cell phones so they don't get dirt on their buttons. OO wow, and u removed 6 screws in exchange for worrying about pinching all the wires in ur grip frame, super Idea! not My god, I am done typing, I have already wasted too much time talking about how dumb this idea is.

Feedback
Old 11-02-2003, 09:55 PM #26
reaper61

GTRsi -

I can understand that with a DD half milled Viking, but don't limit yourself here. I see with the half-milled maybe cutting the PECS with a metal bandsaw or using a dremel(it can be done) and having the half milled section show through the PECS - an intersting play with texture, smooth and possible another color?

The trays may be notched when you get eyes drilled, but the stock markers come from the factory unnothced. If you add the eyes, you have to cut a notch yourself to feed the wires to the internal board - another benefit to the PECS.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:09 PM #27
undrdg
RIP Larry Alexander

geez guys what's up with all the flaming. This guy comes up with an ingenious aftermarket product for the Viking and or excal and you jump all over it because it adds about an ounce or so of weight to your marker? Didn't he say you can mill the PECS with your own custom designs which in my opinion would cost a hell of a lot less than milling your viking?
Ross your comments are unfounded, what is this the matrix forum? Geez lighten up. If you are going to express an opinion atleast be civil about it.
I think this guy has a pretty good idea and as the aka forum i think we should give this guy the benefit of the doubt. All you have seen are stock non milled pictures of this product, now imagine this same product on a stock viking milled with pretty intricate tribal markings or your team's logo? I think that would look pretty cool.

Reaper, dont get discouraged, get your product out there. I actually believe you have a great idea. It would however behoove you to get some more pictures up and show the range your product may have. Perhaps shape the Pecs like a crusador body or something of that nature or get some milling done on one of them.

My 2 cents
undrdg

Last edited by undrdg : 11-02-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:14 PM #28
reaper61

Ross -

No your stupid! But I welcome your critique. I am not advocating covering a beautiful anno job. The majority of AKA markers sold are the type 3 blackand this is what this product is aimed at or to provide another option to colorize your marker without the expense and time associated with a anno job. But if you feel inclined to use these covers in concert with an annoe job to match your marker - that is an option. You can have a nice, clean anno without glomming on an eye cover.

You can anno the PECS alone, paint them or if you're computer literate in graphics, create your own pattern or design and apply it in decal form - some design that can't be made with anno or other conventional finishes. A packet of decal material is like $15 - you supply the printer - you're an artist with a unique marker.

And again the weight - it's about the weight of a nine volt battery - I'll get more specifics tomorrow. Eat more Wheaties!
Old 11-02-2003, 10:27 PM #29
reaper61

undrdg -

Thanks man, I needed a hug! You've got the right idea, but being 1/16" sheet aluminum, it may be difficult to mill. But when you look at it a mill job is just highlights and shadows - a modeled surface - which could be created using your friendly computer. In one of my examples - the black to red fade - I have a simple grill pattern that "appears" to a milled surface - needs some work, but the idea is there - and this is what I am proposing as a cost effective option. You can still cut, drill file details into your PECS if you feel inclined - again it's up to you to be creative. This is fairly new to me and I've just begun to experiment. We have all this energy in this forum, get creative.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:47 PM #30
BeeRRunneR
says : FSP !

my thought is on-field functionality.

i really like the idea becuase you have basically ensured that the body of your marker will stay in nice pristine condition while you have these mounted. if you trip and your gun falls on a rock, at worst you smash up the panel which can be discarded and replaced, but the expensive gun body underneath is still perfect, which is a great idea for anybody who plays in the woods or anywhere that isn't nice soft grass.

however, the same thing kinda worries me . . . this cover is not locked onto the gun by anything, aside from the clamping effect it gets between the tray and the body. i would be concerned about actually ripping the whole thing off if it where to catch on something. also some one may end up striping out the screws that bolt the frame to the body in an effort to make sure they are extra tight (although with the quality of the AKA bodies, i doubt it).
Old 11-02-2003, 10:50 PM #31
Froth
Offset is everything.

Froth is a Moderator
Froth is a Supporting Member
Froth is BST Trusted
Froth helped look for balloons
Froth supports our troops
so you spend $200+ on a Nice Anodizing job to cover it up? When is this supposed to start making sense?
Do not click this.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:57 PM #32
BeeRRunneR
says : FSP !

you ever see a bra on a car ?? even if its just a plain 'ole sedan with factory paint alot of people will put a bra on the front to protect the resale value.

picture two exact same vikings, type 3 black and unmilled, except one of them has a big fat scar on one side becuase his gun fell out of his gear bag and into the gravel parking lot . . . which one would you want to buy if they where both for sale.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:06 PM #33
reaper61

BeeRRunneR -

There you go with protecting your marker! You also have an option the screw the PECS to your marker body with the existing eye cover screw holes along with the clamping technique if you desire to do so. You will be surprised by how well the clamping works - a lot of surface area involved.

Froth -

Anyone enjoys a good anno job - but you are sometimes limited in funds and can't afford waiting 4-8 weeks for the process to be completed. With the PECS, you can just paint the surface with simple paints, car paints, airbrushing or adhesive backed material - ScotchCal, Balbein - vinyls. You can save the $200+ and weeks of waitng - again it's not for everyone - just 10 - 20% of the AKA owners.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:48 PM #34
MMM

Bravo for thinking outside the box reaper. I think that people are going to have a hard time viewing your invention in a positive light without seeing it in action though. Maybe set some up and go to a tourney that you know AKA will be at and see what people think. Kudos on the ingenuity though.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:02 AM #35
Ross
Somewhat an OG

Ross is a Supporting Member
ok, I see them in action on his marker in his pictures.

I will be rational this time.

type3 ano = scratch resitant I haver personally dropped my pink viking and my black viking by accident in our gravel parking lot, and both have come back un scathed.

Quote:
Originally posted by reaper61
BeeRRunneR -

There you go with protecting your marker! You also have an option the screw the PECS to your marker body with the existing eye cover screw holes along with the clamping technique if you desire to do so. You will be surprised by how well the clamping works - a lot of surface area involved.

here u were earlier talking how these pecs don't require the little ***** screws and hear u are saying u have the option to screw them on to make them stay in place better.

Froth -

Anyone enjoys a good anno job - but you are sometimes limited in funds and can't afford waiting 4-8 weeks for the process to be completed. With the PECS, you can just paint the surface with simple paints, car paints, airbrushing or adhesive backed material - ScotchCal, Balbein - vinyls. You can save the $200+ and weeks of waitng - again it's not for everyone - just 10 - 20% of the AKA owners.
GTRsi -

I see this appealing to 99% of the Viking users. You are going to need eye covers if you want to run the full potential of your marker. For a little additional cost, the application eliminates the need to notch your tray, provides a cost effective way to customize/colorize your marker, provides a clean, smooth surface, void of screws and easy removal of the covers by loosening the trigger frame screws instead of the small hex screws.

^read the above quotes, need I say more 100% contradictory^

your contradictions of yourself are upsetting. I'm not going to re read the entire thread to find ne more, but I'm sure theres more. I understand it's still a work in progress. I personally would rather keep my JMJ eye covers until they come up with some $ lookin eye covers for the viking.

Weight may not be a factor to some, but to many players it is, and if one gun is a brick and the other is a feather and they perform the same they are gonna choose the lighter one.

reaper61- open mouth insert foot.

Feedback
Old 11-03-2003, 12:08 AM #36
undrdg
RIP Larry Alexander

I agree with MMM. So the weight question has been addressed accordingly. I think with the new vikings coming out the weight differential will be even less.
Froth, you being the trigger innovator that you are should appreciate this as a way to protect your marker from damage. After all we all know how long you had to wait to get your plum viking back from the anno. While i agree with you point of view about pecs hiding your anno, there is nothing that is keeping you from sending the pecs to the same annodizer to have them done to match your specific color if you so incline to do so.
Look at it this way, it is a raw idea that can be molded into anything you like, whose to say that reaper won't come up with the same exact exoskeleton made out of high durability CLEAR plastic? (or maybe for you star trek afficionados in the future, transparent aluminum hehe)
So if in fact you could mold the pecs into the same contours of your marker and make it the same color would that be of interest to ya? This way you protect your marker's original anno job and still have the looks of the milling.
So reaper's point is there, take this raw cover and mold it to your markers specification or to your own liking.

Reaper couple of questions
1. how resistant is it? If you get shot on the pecs will it bend or have a dent?
2. have u considered plastic?

I wonder if the dupont chameleon paint would look cool on this application.

Undrdg
Old 11-03-2003, 12:16 AM #37
undrdg
RIP Larry Alexander

Ross
what the hell is wrong with you kid. How is reaper contradicting himself...all he is saying is that u have options.
As far as what percentage of the aka owners he is referring to, he is simply stating that he is targeting this to 99% of aka owners and hope for a 10 to 20 percent buy in, what's wrong with that?
Instead of looking for grammar and spelling mistakes and vague terminology why don't you just wait till the pecs is actually out on a marker that u see for yourself.
I bet you won't even notice the difference.

"Weight may not be a factor to some, but to many players it is, and if one gun is a brick and the other is a feather and they perform the same they are gonna choose the lighter one."
- Ross
So basically you are saying that vikings and excals are bricks? Way to represent...
It almost sounds like you are totally against this? If so, you don't really have to buy it, but do us all a favor and please don't post like a 12 year old that just got sent to his room without dessert.

undrdg
Old 11-03-2003, 01:00 AM #38
splatdoctor
its broked...

Why the Hate?!?

I must first state, that although the PECS won't be an item that I personally choose to replace my JMJ covers, there are alot of unmilled black Vikings and Excals in our town that the only difference is the stickers on them. Some people like to be more unique, and I personally feel that a better way to market this would be to get away from the "eye cover" concept and work harder to appeal to those that have the unmilled black and are wanting to dress it up with color/patterns/etc.

The part that frustrates me is how people will spend great amounts of energy attempting to prove another persons idea "stupid", while contributing nothing more to the paintball community than negativity. It's important to understand that this is a design in progress, and might even change to suit more people's tastes. Helpful suggestions are much better than the, give it up, you suck type posts I'm reading. This individual obviously had a good reason to come up with this concept to begin with. Be thankful that he had the courage to share it with us, as we might be able to help him make it even better.

I don't know why it popped in my head, but you could do some cool stuff by cutting tribal style windows in the panels themselves and make it look unique while killing some weight. Since it's raised a bit, you could put colored stickers behind the window cuts, and have a cool 3D look.

It's ok not to like it, and it's alright to even express that you don't like the idea, but not EVERYone likes the JMJ covers either. I kinda miss taking a damp rag and wiping the side of my gun down after a gun hit. Now I've gotta take the eye covers off to do a thorough job. Bashing this concept snuffs out the creative spirit that made this sport what it is today.

That's enough outta me for now,

SplatDoctor
Old 11-03-2003, 07:54 AM #39
bensongg
I Tattooed Your Mom

Here's Tom with his Viking at the Polar Bear Tourney.

I checked out his covers right after this game. At first I didnt even notice that they were covers, I just thought it was a black unmilled.
They are professionally done and look sharp.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:17 AM #40
chimes
Romans 10:13

chimes is a Supporting Member
Plastic or rubber would be cool.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:25 PM #41
CpCnCir3

bensongg- look how amazingly fat and plump his gun looks though......

everybody else who is saying its good because you can protect your precious gun that you waited forever for to come in, thats not a good argument. those people waited forever to make their gun look good for a reason which is to show it off and admire it. why would they wait so long to get such a nice looking gun just to cover it up??? also the argument about the car bra isnt really a good one either. the car bra only covers up the front bumper area of the car where things such as birds, roadkill, spit up rocks, etc are most likely to hit. this PECS system covers up the whole body. everything that looks good on a paintball gun is on the sides of the body. now its covered up with this invention.

see, i do give the guy props for taking the time to invent something like this. anything, practical or not, that took time to make gets respect from me. i also understand that its a work in progess and its not finished yet. besides making it look better, it isnt going to change.

reaper- it seems as if your only strong point you are making for your product is that you can annodize it or make it look however you want. is it really worth the time and effort to even annodize these two plates??? it just doesnt seem logical to me to cover up your body with these things just because its cheaper to annodize. most people out there would rather just keep their black type 3 guns than cover it up with some annodized plate. i know i would.

i dont know what else to say. its awesome that u tried to invent it but i really dont think its going to sell very well. 10-20% of all viking owners seems a little bit high of a goal. i really dont see more than 50-100 of these things selling with all of the vikings and excals out there right now. it really just seems as if you had an idea and said screw it, ill just make up a couple of pointless things it does(obvious two are to protect and the ability to be colored/annodized) and hopefully the idiots out there who will buy anything because its new will buy my product.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:54 PM #42
undrdg
RIP Larry Alexander

CpCnCir3 annodizers annodize in batches so if you buy your gun and send it to get annodized with matching barrel and reg or whatever, it wouldn't cost anything extra to send the PECS along too.
So basically you are saying that the only reason you don't like them is because it hides your anno/milling and or makes your gun seem a bit fatter? Certaintly everyone is entitle to their opinions but when people on this board start posting negative comments like yours it is basically giving others on this board a negative opinion on a product that is barely out of the gates.
u don't have to say

i really dont think its going to sell very well. 10-20% of all viking owners seems a little bit high of a goal. i really dont see more than 50-100 of these things selling with all of the vikings and excals out there right now. it really just seems as if you had an idea and said screw it, ill just make up a couple of pointless things it does(obvious two are to protect and the ability to be colored/annodized) and hopefully the idiots out there who will buy anything because its new will buy my product."
whats up with that...i have seen you post some helpful information in the past, but why say that? you got a beef with reaper?
If anything we should be encouraging his product. Tell him what u don't like and how to improve it...god knows vikings lack aftermarket parts for them.

Undrdg