PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-19-2010, 12:47 AM #1
DLSPaintball
Team Breakout

Pressure Drop Off

I have a CP shorty reg on my Ion and I'm getting pressure drop to the point where I can't shoot faster than maybe 5 bps before it doesn't have enough pressure to recock the bolt. It was running off a CP tank and the drop off was about 50 psi which is quite a lot. Is this an issue with the reg? Do I need new springs or a rebuild kit? Should I just clean it?

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated as I have a big game this weekend.
Smart Parts Ion w/ Ups: 14" Freak w/ .693 and Reball Inserts, Silver Smart Parts Body, Extreme Rage Twistlock Feedneck, Clippard QEV, ****** Eyes (Green), CP Reg, CP Roller Trigger, NDZ Rail, NDZ On/Off w/ Bleed, Scenario Dreams Ion T-Board w/ Membrane Pad, Tech-T L7 Bolt, Orange Ball Detents, ****** Easy On/Off Button, and Contract Killer Grips.

My Feedback > +2/-0

Free, quick, and easy money!
DLSPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 PM #2
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Is your pressure set to the right rating to operate the ion? Have you cleaned and relubed, checking for kinked/pinched hoses? Have you cleaned and relubed the cp reg and put it together properly? Do you have a new battery? Have you tried a different tank? If the tank doesn't seem to be the issue have you tried another reg?

If you've done everything the only other thing I can think of is the pin is being pushed in either not enough or too much from your asa, restricting air flow from the tank and into your marker.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 AM #3
DLSPaintball
Team Breakout

I've set the pressure to about 140 psi, my usual operating pressure for the gun. I replaced the battery. I've fully disassembled and cleaned/lubed the internals three times since Sunday. I've fully disassembled and cleaned the reg. I've checked hoses for restrictions. I've used 4 different tanks and 2 ASAs. I tried the stock reg and it made it worse than the CP reg. I checked and cleaned the solenoid. I raised my dwell.

As you can see, I've tried a lot of things. I'm out of ideas myself, usually I can take care of the marker just fine, but this has me stumped.

Last night after playing with it some more I was able to get it down to only about 20 psi of drop off. Better for sure, but still seems high. By the end of the night the bolt had stopped sticking forward and was only getting close to it.

My suspicion now is that the spring stack inside the reg is not uncompressing since I've had it under full compression (reg set to 0psi) for 7 months. It seemed to get better the more I cycled the marker. I'm thinking I may just need to run a few tanks through it in training mode to break the reg back in.
Smart Parts Ion w/ Ups: 14" Freak w/ .693 and Reball Inserts, Silver Smart Parts Body, Extreme Rage Twistlock Feedneck, Clippard QEV, ****** Eyes (Green), CP Reg, CP Roller Trigger, NDZ Rail, NDZ On/Off w/ Bleed, Scenario Dreams Ion T-Board w/ Membrane Pad, Tech-T L7 Bolt, Orange Ball Detents, ****** Easy On/Off Button, and Contract Killer Grips.

My Feedback > +2/-0

Old 07-21-2010, 01:26 PM #4
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 is Boss
Zero psi or the reg zeroed out doesn't put compression on the shims in a CP reg. Having it zeroed out means that the reg seat is in the closed position not allowing air flow; the shims don't come under pressure until air is introduced to the reg and marker.
Have you tried running your marker at a higher psi then 140? Just because that's what the manual says it operates at doesn't mean it'll work properly on a marker to marker basis. Maybe you need 160 psi or even 180 psi. But you would need to see what you're shooting over the chrono as well when you adjust the pressure.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 PM #5
DLSPaintball
Team Breakout

You're right, I just thought about it again for a second and the spring stack is only compressed when there's air to the reg.

I've tried running a higher pressure and higher dwell, both had little impact. I have no idea what the manual says, and it would be incorrect anyways since there's only 3 stock parts on my Ion. But I've owned it and played with it for almost 4 years now. I've always taken good care of it and cleaned it after every outing. It used to shoot great at about 140 psi and 18 ms dwell. I guess I just need to get it over a chrono to really see.

My Feedback > +2/-0

Old 07-21-2010, 05:37 PM #6
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 is Boss
Perhaps your solenoid is starting to wear out, depending on how much you've used it. Maybe if you have a spare or know somebody with a spare or even another Ion you can swap them and just see what happens.